How'd you come up with your username(s)?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eseell

Re: How'd you come up with your username(s)?

Postby Eseell » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

I chose this name when I started playing Star Wars Galaxies. I wanted a unique and "fishy" name for my Mon Cal Combat Medic and I've since used it as my handle everywhere on the interwebs. It's followed me through various fora, MMOs, and social networking systems. As far as I - or Google - know, I'm the only person who uses this handle.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

thoughts-of-genius

Postby thoughts-of-genius » Sun May 02, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

I don't know what came first - well yes, I do.
the website.

http://www.thoughts-of-genius.com

bosonicyouth

Postby bosonicyouth » Sun May 02, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

when i think of a play on words i must act on it.
sonic youth are a good band, and bosons are something i need to keep my mind on for my research.

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

Mine's a long story but I've used "Aardvark" in my usernames for over ten years now (previously known as the Evil Aardvark, I have since become less Evil :twisted: ). I've used "Aardvarki" as a username for only about six years, but I've used "Aardvarki" as a word for over ten (it's the life force of an Aardvark - a portmanteau of "Aardvark" and "ki")

Also:

Three of the first four letters in my username are found in my First name AND;
The last four letters of my username are the the last four letters of my Last name.

Interestingly, my last name and my username do not rhyme. Though, most (99%+) people who attempt to pronounce my last name pronounce it incorrectly. (My last name is pronounced with a hard "I" sound, my username is pronounced with a hard "E" sound, however I have gotten so used to people mispronouncing my last name that I have not corrected people for many years, a lot of people do not even know they are mispronouncing it - I really don't care. I may even just unofficially change it and begin pronouncing it the way everyone else does.)

Also:

My initials are found, all together and unaltered, within my username (and my last name).

Also:

I like showing up first in alphabetical lists.

Also:

Aardvarks rock.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

^_^

Postby ^_^ » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:00 am UTC

I am terribly uninventive and indecisive.
Plus, I was intrigued as to whether or not the forum would allow usernames consisting of only symbols. Typed ^_^ in out of interest when signing up. And BAM it was my username haha.

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:11 am UTC

Mine is a Firefly reference
podbaydoor wrote:^What this person said.

Argency

Postby Argency » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:19 am UTC

Argentum = silver in latin, but in the middle ages, the word argent became associated with a silverish white colour, used for heraldry, symbolising purity. So, argency it the state of being silvery white, which is what I am. I am the pastiest bastard you will ever meet.

It's also a play on agency, "the state or property of being an agent (one whose actions have effects)". So I am a pasty bastard who acts as he pleases, kicking ass and taking names.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

My name is Rebecca, and my initials are RGB. Also, I love art and color science, and I'm LGBT. It all comes together in one little TLA. ^.^

ALSO YOU GUYS: 42 posts!
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:28 am UTC

It's an artificial material...
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:23 am UTC

It comes from a little snippet of a Coke Zero commercial, concerning a boy and a girl in a pool, and girl is a mermaid.
"Zero Calories, It's not possible."
"It's possible. taste like Coke!"

Flying_Cookie

Postby Flying_Cookie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:21 am UTC

My default avatar for a while has been the cookie with wings, which lends itself to my username fairly well. Originally I used to be Flying Cookie of DOOM! but I got over that.
Flying_CookieTM

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:45 am UTC

Vapour was the name for the end game widebody kit in NFS UG2, the first game I tried it with, Vapour was taken, but it provided a list of alternates.

Vapour70 was born, been using this nick for about 4 years now.

ipreferpi

Postby ipreferpi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

I saw ipreferpi in a list of palindromes once, and I love palindromes and pi, so there you have it. If ipreferpi is taken, I often use the names of my pets. For example my email has my dog dexter's name in it.
Message me if you feel like talking. I like to talk, but prefer messages to posts.

"You never give me your distance, you only give me acceleration, and in the middle of the integration, I break down."

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

"I prefer pi" is one of my top five favorite palindromes.

My favorite though, is:
"Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?"

Little long for a username though.

Also, "Madam, I'm Adam" (my name is Adam).
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Sid Beretta

Postby Sid Beretta » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 am UTC

I use this tag as my alt, when I don't want to be associated with my main. (Clarification: I only have one account here. But I used my normal alt as the name for this account, for kicks slash I don't know if anybody I know is on here.)

Sid is part of my normal tag.

Beretta was the first car I had.

(If I was hiding from anybody I didn't know posted here I probably just blew it with that explanation.)

Sid Beretta sounds like a comic book rookie cop name or something stupid, and I like it.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel is a play off of a joke that you would only hear if you had Dr. Englund as an AP English Literature teacher either at RBHS or Mount Carmel. I tried to have it with two R's, but I typed 3 instead... spell check, anyone :P

other usernames and why I have them

pvtaz- I'm a Pole Vaulter and my favourite looney tunes character is Taz (happens to be a nickname of mine)

twistkick kid- I'm a second degree black belt, my favourite kick when sparring is the twist kick... great for kicking 6ft tall guys in the head when they least expect it :twisted: some of the people that I train with forget that I'm 19 and they call me a little cheater kid... I tested early for my black belt, and they thought I had "cheated" my way to get it... I put 8 yrs hard work into earning my black belt :evil:

pvgoalie- I Pole Vault and I am a goalie in field hockey, roller hockey, and lacrosse
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

"Feddlefew" is the name of my first D&D character ever. I just like the name.

I'm not obsessed, really!
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

MyNameIs

Postby MyNameIs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

I'm quite bad at picking usernames so I thought I'd just leave my creativity for you guys.

"MyNameIs" what?

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

I guess it's about as original as stating who you are in your userna- well shit.
Ptolom wrote:penis

webby

Postby webby » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

My username is webby because that's what my friends call me.

It also happens to be my brother's nickname, so calls to our house often go 'Hi, can i talk to webby?' 'Er, which one?'

Promac

Postby Promac » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

My real name in irish is Proinsias MacGiollaCumhaill. I used it as my name in Star Wars Galaxies and most people couldn't pronounce it so they would shorten it to Pro. I added the Mac as a lot of things require 6 or more characters. Proinsias MacGiollaCumhaill.

Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

I took my my name from this Duel Masters card. It was also my first avatar.
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

My first username was kai5999, and came from when I was about 7 or 8 and played neopets. I had heard one of my friends say his favorite number was really big, and I asked him what it was, and he said it was 5999. I went home that day and decided to use it.

My current name came around from when I was about eleven and played Runescape because it was still pretty cool. I had stopped playing for a while, and couldn't think of what my username was (I discovered it wasn't kai5999), so I started a new account. I was going to make the username kai5999, but my brother mason, who was then 5, said he wanted to play too. I decided to make it a combination of my name and his name, so tried kaimason. That didn't work (I found out later that that was my other account), so I tried kaimason1, which did. That has been my username ever since.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

Cane

Postby Cane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

Balesk Baj, Timeburner wrote:I took my my name from this Duel Masters card. It was also my first avatar.

That makes no sense, LinuxPenguin. . . er, I mean Ivora. . . er, oh OK, thanks, Balesk Baj.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

webby wrote:My username is webby because that's what my friends call me.

It also happens to be my brother's nickname, so calls to our house often go 'Hi, can i talk to webby?' 'Er, which one?'

I'm guessing your last name is Webster or something like that...?
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Keand64

Postby Keand64 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

...It's a terrible contraction of "fruit spike and moon", a reference to a game I was obessed with for a good year of my life. I'm not entirely sure where the 64 came from, but I've always liked powers of 2, especially 1.
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

Singa Crew

Postby Singa Crew » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

Mine's really easy. Really.

You see, I am from Singapore. So that explains the Singa. It is also the native word for lion so it is cool.

The 'Crew' means a group. Because I am part of a larger group (of friends and like-minded folks). You know like 'oh those are my crew, dudes.'

So I am a Singa(porean) who's part of a Crew.

The name sounds kinda Hip Hop too. I like it.

BlazeOrangeDeer

Postby BlazeOrangeDeer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:32 am UTC

I was taking a walk, and noticed that there was a rabbit sitting in the dead brownish grass that I had not seen even though it was right there... this got me thinking about camouflage and animal defense mechanisms.I realized that if deer evolved bright orange coats, they would probably do pretty well since hunters know not to shoot things that are blaze orange (like people in hunting vests). It is one of the few original ideas I've had in my life ;), so I went with it when I made an account somewhere and have been using it since.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:39 am UTC

Gina = First name
Dagny = Middle name

ZING!

(Before anyone asks, my dad is an Ayn Rand fanboy to the extreme).

OddFire

Postby OddFire » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:38 am UTC

I first tried to be witty but my ideas were already taken. So then I used the ever-creative approach of a screen name generator. It had me type in answers to questions such as "an adjective to describe yourself," and I typed in "odd." It suggested OddFire and I liked the sound of it.

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

We had a kid in my high school marching band who had transfered from Ontario, Canada. We used to call him "Canada" (original, I know), but our drill instructor used to call him by a different province name in Canada every time he would address the kid. We were all laughing at a mistake the kid made, and I guess my laugh was louder than everyone else's. The drill instructor singled me out and asked, "What are you laughing at, Sasquatch?" Since I'm rather tall, the name stuck.

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:15 am UTC

it's a portmanteau of character from Osmosis Jones and Megaman...back then I though if I ever have a "netnavi" that should be its name...afterward I just adopt it for my internet identity...:>

Tiglette
Location: physically: DC, USA. my mind? Tell you when it finds me

Postby Tiglette » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:56 am UTC

Since I've been using (variations of) the same user name since forever, I just decided to create a new one. I was bored of the silly old thing which I had made up on a day where I was not the most creative.

I have ADHD, and there's a comparison of types of ADHD using winnie the pooh characters. I decided that I'm a combination of Tigger and Piglet, and Tigger has always been a favorite (bouncy, bouncy, bouncy). Upon talking to my brother, he suggests Tiglet as a combo. I decided to feminize it to create Tiglette. Which I think I will use for all my new things.
/end story of name generated <3 hrs ago

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

Promicin was that glowy green stuff from The 4400.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

BlazeOrangeDeer wrote:I was taking a walk, and noticed that there was a rabbit sitting in the dead brownish grass that I had not seen even though it was right there... this got me thinking about camouflage and animal defense mechanisms.I realized that if deer evolved bright orange coats, they would probably do pretty well since hunters know not to shoot things that are blaze orange (like people in hunting vests). It is one of the few original ideas I've had in my life ;), so I went with it when I made an account somewhere and have been using it since.
If we're going by their primary killer, then a better evolutionary trait would be to evolve Stop Signs onto their sides.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

Mine's pretty obvious. I'm a zoomie (aeronaut), and I know how to operate sailboats (naut, for sailor), and I'm from Oregon. Tack on a near homonym to some fairly famous literature and there you be. Oregonaut.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

Back when I used to play Kingdom of Loathing, I was (and still am) insecure about adopting a recognizable identity.

So, I settled for what I thought was self-description.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Slavaa
Location: A certain Island, named after a certain Prince Edward

Postby Slavaa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 am UTC

Would you be surprised to hear that its my old D&D character's name.

Not sure where I got that from, though, s'been a long while.

Myria

Postby Myria » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

Myria is the last boss of the video games Breath of Fire 1 and 3.

sodium

Postby sodium » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:59 am UTC

Sodium happens to be my favorite element. 22.9898 AMU!

Return to “General”