Do you think reviving the dead will ever be possible?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Woopate
Scrapple

Re: Do you think reviving the dead will ever be possible?

Postby Woopate » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:24 am UTC

This thread reminds me of a SciFi I read where there's a drug that turns your brain off, but your body continues to act perfectly as though your brain was still functioning normally. A girl ODs on it, and her brain turns off permanently, but it's still alive, and so it forms a new consiousness inside itself. Same memories, and she still identifies by the same name but possesses a totally different personality.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

Rek wrote:Will it possible? Probably.
Should it be possible? No.

The amount of problems that would rise if immortality/the ability to bring back the dead existed would outweigh the benefits by far.

Such as...?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:37 pm UTC

Well, ST, I read in a book once that if we became immortal we'd run out of experiences and so would turn to cannibalism just for something new to do. Actually, I didn't read that in a book, I just made it up now, but it's an awesome idea and I am so totally writing it once I'm done with my current novel.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Either only a select few get to be brought back in which case the have-nots will go apeshit, or everyone has to be forcibly prevented from breeding to prevent overpopulation because people go apeshit over their right to have kids even when having them is a bad idea.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Well, ST, I read in a book once that if we became immortal we'd run out of experiences and so would turn to cannibalism just for something new to do. Actually, I didn't read that in a book, I just made it up now, but it's an awesome idea and I am so totally writing it once I'm done with my current novel.

And I read in a book that if we became immortal and kept up our current birthrate we'd have this fucking galaxy colonized in a thousand years, tops. Because we'd be fucking awesome.

And we'd fly around in rocket ships with goddamn flames painted on the side for no fucking reason because we were that awesome. Even five million gabillion years in the future, with the first people from the first immortality experiments still around, we'd be colonizing galaxies like crazy and wearing silly hats because why the fuck not?

I didn't read that but are YOU going to tell me I can't have a silly hat and a rocket ship with flames painted on the side that I use to explore the universe because fucking hell it's goddamn beautiful out there? Also, PBEM games of Dwarf Fortress, which finally gets to version .8.0.4c
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:34 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And we'd fly around in rocket ships with goddamn flames painted on the side

No, bunnies!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 am UTC

Flaming Bunnies

Orca

Postby Orca » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Answer: No. Essentially because 'real' death is where the body has decayed to a degree and the process of death has started. At this point, theres no way to revive a person exactly the same as they were. They'd be facing cell degeneration and organ failure probably regardless of how good medicine got.
If it's only 'clinical' death but the body is preserved, then its possible even now to do such though any tests or reports in that area are sparse and tentative.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:You're assuming it's even possible. Every cell would have to be reconstructed by a machine, and it would be making its "best guess" about what that cell looked like originally. That's fine for every organ except the brain, where small alterations at the cellular level could have a big impact on the personality of the individual who awakens.

You're also assuming that the mighty space-men of the future would even bother reviving the person. I mean, what's in it for them? It's just another mouth to feed in what is undoubtedly an already over-populated planet. His skills and knowledge would be hopelessly outmoded, and there's even a chance that he's of a particular ethnic background that the current dystopian regime just loves persecuting and/or murdering (if there's one thing which will never go out of fashion, it's people killing people).

You're also assuming their icy coffin will remain undisturbed for the duration of the occupant's slumber. All it takes is one little zombie uprising, and the coffin will be abandoned and without power, and the occupant will thaw and therefore be dead forever.

tl;dr - there's a metric fuckton of things that can go wrong.

I had a roommate in college who planned to be frozen along with his Dad. He actually hopes to have his coffin put in orbit of Earth, so that there are fewer ways to destroy it. I think when it comes to "why would they open it", I think people usually count on whatever government exists at the time still enforcing contracts signed today (and the company signing the contract still being in existence). Seems like a long-shot to me.

I actually wouldn't mind if they could take my memories and insert them in a clone. It may or may not be "me" (depending on your theory of identity), but it would still be a preservation of everything I've learned in life.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:If you're talking about death, Watch Blue's Clues the original. The thing about it is the original Steve is dead, Contrary to his lively and vibrant acting in the children's show. I somehow felt creepy about that.

You can show the vibrant Steve, doing anything, you won't think he passed away. Well what more for a clone? Your brain will feel creepy, but the clone is much as the real one. (Let's write some fiction about this :D)

Steve isn't dead he just started a rock band.
http://www.steveburnsrocks.us/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Burns
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

There's also this, regarding Steve.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:16 am UTC

YAY!!! We can make Steve immortal now!!!
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Flaming Bunnies

BINGO
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

... I had no idea that existed. My day is brightened.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

I LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK!!!

Cheese is awsome.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:goddamn flames painted on the side for no fucking reason
What? They make it go faster of course.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

My rocket ship has flames painted on the side, and it's holding a knife.

Ha!

Return to “General”