14 Months of Play : What to do in gap year?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

spiers
Location: once i rose above the noise and confusion just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion

14 Months of Play : What to do in gap year?

Postby spiers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

Hello my sweet and glorious xkcd forum dwellers.

I hail from the UK, and I come with a question. I've just finished sixth form, and now I've got about 14 months of gap year [or gap yah oh yuh banter] ahead of me. What do you think I should do?

Here's what I look like, if that's relevant in some way.

I'm interested in a whole range of things; politics, history, maths, languages; and I did A-levels in Maths, Further Maths and French, and took STEP exams. I didn't apply directly to university because some silliness and laziness on my part led to me getting a B for Maths last year, which the universities I wanted to apply to would have rejected instantly. So, I finish my A-levels in the next few weeks, then I've got 14 months to do whatever I want.

Which is the main question - what do you think I should do? I'll answer any questions you've got, and I've got a blog of sorts telling you a bit more at [link redacted because user has fewer than 5 posts]

p.s. I'm also single and like xkcd girls :P

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: 14 Months of Play : What to do in gap year?

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

How is this a math question?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Syrin

Postby Syrin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

Cause he got a B in it instead of an A

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 am UTC

Spend the year in France, making stupid WW2 jokes.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Build a mecha.
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Pretend you are Charlie Boorman, find a Scottish friend and motorcycle around the world.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Pretend you are Charlie Boorman, find a Scottish friend and motorcycle around the world.

This is better than my suggestion.

Do it.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU

EDIT: This post is a place-holder for about 40 minutes of re-enacting that video and talking like a snob.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Get a job, you hippy.

I had a work placement between college and university. Best idea I've had in a while, the experience is very useful (not to mention the MOONNNNEEEEEYYY). Plus, when you come out of university on the other side, you'll have a slight advantage over those people in your group who went straight to university (or spent a year in Peru weaving teepees out of yogurt, or go biking in Mongolia, or whatever it is hipster students do nowadays).

And get a haircut!

*waves cane*

Spoiler:
I am almost twenty.

3fj wrote:This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU

EDIT: This post is a place-holder for about 40 minutes of re-enacting that video and talking like a snob.

I laughed.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:19 am UTC

spiers wrote:Here's what I look like, if that's relevant in some way.
p.s. I'm also single and like xkcd girls :P

Shameless. :D

I agree with Fat Zombie though, and if you're looking for another fun thing to do, I'd say since you like languages, try to become fluent in another language, probably French since you've already started, and then visit some places in France.
lol everything matters
-Ed

JonR

Postby JonR » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:21 am UTC

definitely do something - else you'll be behind everyone else when applying next year.
maybe think about what career you want to go into, and see if there are work placement schemes, or aprenticeships or something similar, but explain to them that you're doing it for a year, with a view to going to uni afterwards, but obviously, if you get the dgree, you'll possibly go back to the same employer after the degree, a much brainier person.
who knows, maybe you'll realise that you don't need the degree, and that it's more important to have the job in the first place, than the education without the experience. On the job training is a lot better than most people think.

travelling round the world, or round some part of it is a cool experience, that you'll never forget (as long as you don't take too many drugs), but it's only impressive if you had a plan, and did something useful - sitting in Vang Vieng doing river tubing, or watching Friends in a bar all day for six months is not impressive, when you could have been helping build a local school, and learning Spanish in a village in Peru (or wherever).
Wildlife conservation also a good idea, volunteering for something like turtle watching/recording in Zante.

Do you really want to go to Uni, or is it just that everyone else does it, and it's expected of you?
I went to uni, did three years, drank too much, didn't go to enough lectures, seminars, etc, got through each year on re-sits, and ended up with a cert of Higher education in Maths (started on joint honors Maths and Physics) - which is equivalent to doing two years of a three year course, and everyone asks me why I never finished uni, and assumes that that level is as far as I'm going to get to. and sometimes I do think I'd have been better of taking stock, thinking about what I really want to do with my life, and where I want to go, and get a job and experience, and then if I need it later, go do a degree.

hope that helps
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

orinjuse

Postby orinjuse » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:20 am UTC

Get a job.
“Most truths are so naked that people feel sorry for them and cover them up, at least a little bit.”
- Edward R. Murrow

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

JonR wrote:travelling round the world, or round some part of it is a cool experience, that you'll never forget (as long as you don't take too many drugs), but it's only impressive if you had a plan, and did something useful - sitting in Vang Vieng doing river tubing, or watching Friends in a bar all day for six months is not impressive, when you could have been helping build a local school, and learning Spanish in a village in Peru (or wherever).

See, I don't understand this point of view. How many times in your life do you get a YEAR to do whatever you want? You have your whole life to go change the world, why not do something fun during the one chance you get? Why does it have to be "impressive?"

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

Technically, you can have a year to do what you want whenever. It's just prior engagements that make things like these different.

And you can't go to a different country without making the whole thing seem worthy, I suppose.

JonR

Postby JonR » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

you can just spend a year doing what you want having fun, but that's what 3 years at university is for :D
the thing is - after your year doing something, you'll want to go to uni, or get a proper job, and in order to stand a better chance of getting in, then doing something worthwhile will be better than doing sweet FA - it'll look better on your CV than someone else who did nothing, and had fun. It will show that you have some ability to plan something, and go through with it, that you have thought processes, about what you want to do, what to achieve, and how, etc. just the act of planning something for your year off shows some (transferable) skills that put you above the loafer who did nothing.
going to a different country doesn have to be worthy, but if you plan something, you'll get far more out of it than if you just get on a flight, turn up and make it up as you go along (although you might have less fun, or different, and less scary experiences) - it depends on what you want to achieve.
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

Cane

Postby Cane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Go to Merseille or Nice or some other coastal town, get a job making coffee or sandwiches or something. Drink a lot of wine, read a lot of books, have a lot of sex.

Fat Zombie wrote:*waves cane*

*waves Fat Zombie*
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Cane wrote:Go to Merseille or Nice or some other coastal town, get a job making coffee or sandwiches or something. Drink a lot of wine, read a lot of books, have a lot of sex.

Tell me you're joking. Please. I can't bear the idea that people could just go and do that.

*hunches*

Cane

Postby Cane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

Well, the reading is optional.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

*despairs*

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

Travel the world, busking for money and sleeping on the couches of people you met online.
Or do the boring thing and get a job.
podbaydoor wrote:^What this person said.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

Form a cult centered around Insane Clown Posse.
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:11 pm UTC

Fucking gap years, how do they work?

^_^

Postby ^_^ » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:57 am UTC

JonR wrote:I went to uni, did three years, drank too much, didn't go to enough lectures, seminars, etc, got through each year on re-sits

I am currently in my first year of a degree that is starting out exactly like that -_- Went to the first week of lectures, none since. If I pass any of my exams, I will be beyond amazed haha.

And, I agree with getting a job. If you travel for your year off, you will have nooo money to help get you through university. So as dull as it sounds, I vote get a job, then travel *after* uni

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:Fucking gap years, how do they work?

I love you forever :mrgreen:

Speaking of which, spend your gap year reading MSPA.
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Return to “General”