Your Life Goals

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Scyphozoa

Re: Your Life Goals

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu May 27, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Essah wrote:lol this started out as serious (although maybe a optimistic) Life goals but now its just turned into random nonsense... :?

Yeah, that bugged me...

No, it didn't. What part of "Mount Everest with an erection" and "bloody revolution" did you not understand?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

coolstorybro

Postby coolstorybro » Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 am UTC

1.get rich enough to build an awesome house(monkey bars on the ceiling, half indoor pool, slacklines everywhere, excessive amounts of rotating bookcases)
2. find an awesome guy to enjoy awesome house with.
3. contribute to the decline of the sanctity of marriage with awesome guy.
4. take over a small country and make them use esoteric and arbitrary units of measurement.
5. learn to play some number of instruments greater than 0.
6. learn at least 5 languages
7. go to a bunch of cool places and do cool things there(preferably with awesome guy).
Though not necessarily in that order.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 28, 2010 1:32 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Dunno. I tend to live in the moment, aimlessly stumbling down the path of least resistance.

You sound like Mersault from Albert Camus' the stranger, with that comment, and I think I hate you. Nothing personal, obviously, that book is just making me angry. sorry.
"This is how Vetinari thinks, his soul exulted. Plans can break down. You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Terry Pratchett, Making Money [quoted on TVTropes, "Xanatos Speed Chess"]

Dasboard wrote:- Walk around in a lobster suit for a legimate reason.
Maybe you should get in touch with the http://www.godhatesshrimp.com people?

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri May 28, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:"This is how Vetinari thinks, his soul exulted. Plans can break down. You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Terry Pratchett, Making Money [quoted on TVTropes, "Xanatos Speed Chess"]

That's, uh, really not the same thing as stumbling aimlessly, and not having goals.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Fri May 28, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Okay, so at the top of all my normal, mediocre goals, here's this:

Lose one or both of my arms in some sort of accident. Hopefully something hilarious/awesome, but I'll take what I can get. Then get some totally sweet prosthetics (prosthetics are totally sweet on their own anyways, so this should be easy). Use said prosthetics to turn my arm/s into Inspector Gadget-level crazy storage. Then, finally, go to a party with a bunch of people who don't know my arms are prosthetic (this takes place far enough in the future that we have realistic-looking fake limbs) and a few people who do. Get someone to challenge people to lick their elbows, getting a betting pool going. Once people have bet enough money, I take off my arm, lick the elbow, then put it back on.

I guess under that on the list would be "Make the American Education System not suck massive amounts of dick."

And then like, get a girlfriend. Or something. I dunno.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri May 28, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

Maybe you should get in touch with the http://www.godhatesshrimp.com people?

Hmm, I don't think that's what I was looking for. I was thinking maybe something like.... this :

Spoiler:
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Slight-of-mind

Postby Slight-of-mind » Fri May 28, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

RetSpline wrote:Okay, so at the top of all my normal, mediocre goals, here's this:

Lose one or both of my arms in some sort of accident. Hopefully something hilarious/awesome, but I'll take what I can get. Then get some totally sweet prosthetics (prosthetics are totally sweet on their own anyways, so this should be easy). Use said prosthetics to turn my arm/s into Inspector Gadget-level crazy storage. Then, finally, go to a party with a bunch of people who don't know my arms are prosthetic (this takes place far enough in the future that we have realistic-looking fake limbs) and a few people who do. Get someone to challenge people to lick their elbows, getting a betting pool going. Once people have bet enough money, I take off my arm, lick the elbow, then put it back on.

I guess under that on the list would be "Make the American Education System not suck massive amounts of dick."

And then like, get a girlfriend. Or something. I dunno.

You'd need to keep at least one of your natural limbs on ice so you can lick your elbows. If you lick your prosthetic elbow you get zilch. And if you want to win a pool for licking your elbows why not just start one today and cut off your arms FTW. Or better off start with the head. Otherwise, your plan sounds completely solid. Maybe even a product of the American Education System dare I say. :twisted:
...And then you can get a girlfriend!!!
Tally ho!!! and Goodbye Gumdrops!!!

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sun May 30, 2010 1:01 am UTC

I want:
-To own my own swimming pool, or something that can be used for the same purpose (tropical lagoon right outside my house, large lake, etc. I'm not fussy. Just a body of water that I can legally swim in naked.)
-To finally be the owner of a body that I consider to be well muscled and attractive
-To persuade the world of the great value of Ry Cooder's music such that it is available in jukeboxes everywhere I go
-To acquire all the high-purity romanian liqour (my preference is for tsoika) that I could possibly ever want
-Learn some cool things I've been meaning to do for ages (more languages, at least enough about computers to understand all the XKCD strips, more musical instruments, etc. etc.)
-To have a novel published and be moderately well received (my first work, Psycho nazi junkies from all the hells fuck live was, I feel unreasonably, rejected)
-To finally, finally actually use my art degree in some way shape or form
-I would very much like a Royal enfield motorcycle and a sports car of some description
-Get a girlfriend who will tolerate me for a period longer than 3 months (this goal will be adjusted once it is reached)

I probably have others, but I can't think of them now.
Edit: Oh, sorry, you want interesting ones? Blame the lateness of the hour. Allow me to exaggerate my real ones ad absurdum.
-To swim the hellespont, write "Xerxes was a pussy" on a turkish wall, and swim back again.
-For Vin Diesel to be mistaken for me in an identity parade
-To have my favourite music, especially that performed by Ry Cooder and Angelspit, played constantly on a global network of speakers that can only be turned off by prayer
-To sink a battleship with Tsoika, but without wasting a drop.
-Prove Riemman with a text involving the words 'grue', 'the saw doctors' and 'masturbate' in a relevant manner
-To have my first novel, Psycho nazi junkies from all the hells fuck live, published and perhaps not immediately proscribed
-To finally, finally, actually use my art degree in some way shape or form
-To own a working motorcycle that appears to be a precise replica of that described in 'soul music' by Terry Pratchett
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun May 30, 2010 1:34 am UTC

Play guitar. Conquer the moon.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun May 30, 2010 3:33 am UTC

To reach out to the stars and break out onto the moon!

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun May 30, 2010 4:35 am UTC

Ever since I saw the Scrubs episode for a by-30-yrs-old list, I've wanted to make one. Maybe I'll put that on my list...

The only idea I've cemented so far is wanting to be on national TV.

Rek

Postby Rek » Sun May 30, 2010 5:59 am UTC

Words Win Wars

meret

Postby meret » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:26 am UTC

Interesting topic. :)
- Have at least 1 good friend (real, not online :P) in all the countries in the world, irregardless of race and religion. Too ambitious?
- Overcome my fear and do a bungee jump.
- Be charismatic to people around.
- Speak confidently and assuredly.
- Travel and see parts of the world before 2012 :lol: :lol:

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

- Have at least 1 good friend (real, not online ) in all the countries in the world, irregardless of race and religion. Too ambitious?

That really depends on how much money you'll be able to spend on traveling :D
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Essah

Postby Essah » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:
- Have at least 1 good friend (real, not online ) in all the countries in the world, irregardless of race and religion. Too ambitious?

That really depends on how much money you'll be able to spend on traveling :D

With enough time, Money and patience its possible...
there's 193 widely recognised sovereign states, (according to wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries )

I think it is going to be difficult maintaining a friendship with 193 different people.
but go for it :D

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

Just make friends with 193 people and force them to move.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:56 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Just make friends with 193 people and force them to move.

My life goal: Be indicted for 193 counts of blackmail.

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 am UTC

My crazy ambitous ones: Bring end of poverty, war, racism, international hatred. Build my own spaceship (defined as fully reusable, single vehicle capable of surface to orbit and interplanetary travel, built and operated with own non-humongous funds and mostly own tech. expertise).

My vaguely theoretically possible ones: Build the first, or a, interplanetary CubeSat (see "how far can a cubesat go?"). Sing part of the Comandante in the opera Don Giovanni. Write an opera. Make important sci/engineering advance.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:Just make friends with 193 people and force them to move.

My life goal: Be indicted for 193 counts of blackmail.

shouldn't that be "My hobby" ? : :D

Headshrinker

Postby Headshrinker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Take a world cruse via the use of 193 extradition orders.

And no seriously, make a huge contribution to somthing,
and visit the arctic.
win a Darwin award.
possibly all three in one trip.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

Another one: if I ever make enough money, I'm not going to spend any of it on fancy, high-spec MP3 players. I'm going to pay some kid to follow me around with a guitar.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:56 am UTC

I'll even put my goals in order:

1. Build an unmanned spacecraft by myself incredibly cheaply, and have it land on the moon and return intact.
2. Hold the world record (for at least a year) for longest time spent in outer space (without coming back down).
3. Write all of the stories that are in my head (seriously, I've had about 10 books circulating in my head for the past few years, it's gotten annoying).
4. Change the world, I don't care if I'm recognized or even if I know I did it. I just want something major to happen because I lived.
5. Live past 100. I like my chances, the part of my family that didn't smoke (for very long at least) or drink have lived past 90, and are still living.
6. Get fit, and stay that way (this is currently my priority and I think that this is the most likely thing to happen).
7. Learn to do something serious that almost no one else in the world can do.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

DNA

Postby DNA » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:09 am UTC

Whenever people ask me what I plan to do for income in the futuer, I always reply that I will win the lottery. That;s been my answer since primary school and I've stuck to the story, so people actually believe me most of the time :lol:

But honestly, I'm just a lost teenager. I'm pretty sure I've conformed to the standard teenage lifestyle, minus the copious amount of women (I just stick to a few). As for my future... copious amounts of women would be nice :mrgreen:
CATUG

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:29 am UTC

1. Build an unmanned spacecraft by myself incredibly cheaply, and have it land on the moon and return intact.

See "how far can a cubesat go". http://www.stec2005.space.aau.dk/files/How_Far_Can_a_Cubesat_Go_STEC2005.pdf. The person decided that with an 8 cube cubesat (that's 8x 10 cm, 1 kg cubes), he could land on the moon one way. Cost would be rather high, but not crazy.

Return to earth would be much harder. You would need far more delta-V, and a tiny re-entry vehicle, and some way to recover it.

Go for it, but not alone, I say.

A considerably simpler thing that you could do would be a moon orbiter or returner.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:51 am UTC

Me and my brother had a small space program when I was in the last year of primary school and he was in the first year of secondary. We weren't aiming for anything like as much, though. All we wanted to do was get something into orbit, have it take a picture and get it back. The flaw was a lack of appreciation for the concept of "escape velocity" ("hey, what if we get it up to 100 feet, deploy a parachute, then send up more fuel on another rocket, then...") and a lack of good materials. We were also distracted by utilitarian aims. My older brother was at a... strange age by the time the space program was eventually discontinued (by our horrified mother) and he wanted to take... you know... pictures... of... do I need to say any more?
-a friend.

WaywardAngel

Postby WaywardAngel » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:03 am UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote: The only idea I've cemented so far is wanting to be on national TV.

It's a lot of fun, but also terrifying.

As for mine - find out the solution to the 'hard problem' of consciousness (not too bothered if it's someone else that works it out, but my curiosity needs to be sated), learn at least four languages, visit every continent, deadlift 500 pounds, donate at least 10% of my lifetime income to charity. I used to have the classic 'building robots/space-stations' type goals, but looks like y'all have it covered so will simply attend the first xkcd meetup in space.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:42 am UTC

Headshrinker wrote:Take a world cruse via the use of 193 extradition orders.

and visit the arctic.
win a Darwin award.

uh, you want to die/become castrated because of your own enormous stupidity? :|
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

^_^

Postby ^_^ » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

My life goal is simple:
Do not fall into boring routine. Ever.
Somewhat difficult to maintain considering I go to uni and work, but hey, I do the best I can :)

Headshrinker

Postby Headshrinker » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
Headshrinker wrote:Take a world cruse via the use of 193 extradition orders.

and visit the arctic.
win a Darwin award.

uh, you want to die/become castrated because of your own enormous stupidity? :|

Yes I just want to be remembered (no pun intended).

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

ikrase wrote:

See "how far can a cubesat go". http://www.stec2005.space.aau.dk/files/How_Far_Can_a_Cubesat_Go_STEC2005.pdf. The person decided that with an 8 cube cubesat (that's 8x 10 cm, 1 kg cubes), he could land on the moon one way. Cost would be rather high, but not crazy.

Return to earth would be much harder. You would need far more delta-V, and a tiny re-entry vehicle, and some way to recover it.

Go for it, but not alone, I say.

A considerably simpler thing that you could do would be a moon orbiter or returner.

The 'by myself' and 'incredibly cheaply' parts are more of challenges. If I manage to do either of those I'll be really pleased, but if I can't (and I understand that this is the more likely scenario) I'm perfectly fine with that.

Anyways, thanks for the link, I haven't heard of that project. I'll read that when I've got more time.

crysgraham

Postby crysgraham » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:47 am UTC

Write a best selling book

nishantjn

Postby nishantjn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 am UTC

I think the point was over-the-top wishes. Some of the stuff is getting sentimental!

- Write a graphic novel
- Learn parkour
- Speak 3 languages
- Land a plane
- Drift a car
- Spray water on an entire bunch of cats
- Earn a nod from The Chuck The Norris
- Be on a Times Crossword Puzzle
- Save the Cheerleader, Save the World.

solarion

Postby solarion » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 am UTC

1. Sing in such a way that people will go "What the hell is that noise?" and be unable to figure it out.
Better yet, get paid for doing that.
2. Meet a person who plays the triangle for a living in a professional symphony orchestra, and interview him about the technicalities of his work to destroy the misconceptions of ease.
3. Write a bunch of stories that nobody finds out about until after I die, and get some recognition in history for them.
4. Start a meme that goes worldwide.

Return to “General”