What's a college student to do over the summer?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Re: What's a college student to do over the summer?

Postby keeneal » Wed May 19, 2010 3:42 am UTC

ST - I've never heard crazier talk. At my school, You Will Graduate In Four Years (unless you change your program during your Junior year or something - and even then a lot of people still graduate on time). 5 years is unusual unless you're doing a 4+1 or 3+2 (bachelors+masters degree program). 6 is unheard-of. Hell, if I weren't doing an Education certification, I could graduate at least a semester early. And we're not exactly a slacker's college, either. Most of my friends at other schools report similarly.

On Topic: I've been working at a Boy Scout camp for 6 years now. If you're into it, they can pay pretty well (especially overnight camps - free room and board). Downside is that they've probably known who their staffs would be since December or so and now only have small holes to fill. Get a hobby. Learning how to make chain mail caught my eye a few weeks ago thanks to a thread about it on the fora. Hollowing books can be fun (use ones that are going to be thrown away!). I've always wanted to tie a hammock. Do Habitat for Humanity. There are options. What are your interests?

Edit for URL fail
Last edited by keeneal on Thu May 20, 2010 5:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Wed May 19, 2010 5:24 am UTC

keeneal wrote:ST - I've never heard crazier talk. At my school, You Will Graduate In Four Years (unless you change your program during your Junior year or something - and even then a lot of people still graduate on time). 5 years is unusual unless you're doing a 4+1 or 3+2 (bachelors+masters degree program). 6 is unheard-of. Hell, if I weren't doing an Education certification, I could graduate at least a semester early. And we're [url="http://www.princetonreview.com/ArcadiaUniversity.aspx"]not exactly a slacker's college[/url], either. Most of my friends at other schools report similarly.

Yeah, it's the same here. The only way you could do 6 years is if you do medicine and take a pre-med year. I think our courses are a lot more pre-planned than ones in the US are. In my course for example all the classes for the first 2 years are set and everyone has the same timetable. 3rd year semester one a few classes are set and you get to pick a couple more from a small list, then for 2nd semester you do a placement. In 4th year you pick all your classes, but again they're from a pre-set list.

Even when picking your own classes they'll all be from the same subject area. In my physics course all the classes availible to choose from will be either physics or math related.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 19, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

Is that true across all majors? I am an engineer, and of all the guys I knew that took engineering, maybe 5 graduated in 4 years. I took 5.5 years, but could have been done in 5. In our particular college, 5 was pretty normal. That said, my sister got out in 3.5 with a major in zoology.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Wed May 19, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Looking at the engineering courses offered by my university, all the Bachelor's degrees are 4 years, with some having the option of doing a 5th year and getting a Master's degree.

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/degrees.php?faculty=2000

Edit: Actually, looking at a few more faculties some of the Humanities and Business degrees are only 3 years. 4 is standard for all the science and engineering ones though.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 19, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Is that true across all majors? I am an engineer, and of all the guys I knew that took engineering, maybe 5 graduated in 4 years. I took 5.5 years, but could have been done in 5. In our particular college, 5 was pretty normal. That said, my sister got out in 3.5 with a major in zoology.

They're overseas. I think 4+ year courses are pretty common in the US for engineers. The majority of the engineering programs at my college were 4.5 years. I finished in 4 because I came in with a bunch of gen ed credits from AP classes in high school, as well as some summer credits I did (Florida public universities require 9 credits of summer classes to graduate, although they're pretty easy to be exempt from, if desired). It can, of course, take longer in less structured programs or if you have to drop or fail a class like my now-roommate did. (I think he ended up spending 5.5 years to get his BS.) I also knew people who did it intentionally to lighten class load some.

That said, the liberal arts majors all seemed to be easily finished in 4 years with two majors.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:Looking at the engineering courses offered by my university, all the Bachelor's degrees are 4 years, with some having the option of doing a 5th year and getting a Master's degree.

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/degrees.php?faculty=2000

Edit: Actually, looking at a few more faculties some of the Humanities and Business degrees are only 3 years. 4 is standard for all the science and engineering ones though.

That's a different topic though. The engineering degrees are PLANNED for four years. Very few actually complete them in that time. If I had taken all the right courses, in the right order, and gotten good grades in them, I could have finished sooner.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Oh yeah, over here you generally finish the degree in the planned time unless you fail a class and have to repeat. Your classes are mostly set out by the university, and while you do get a little bit of class choice in later years it's not really possible to delay your degree by picking the wrong classes. This is the case in science courses anyway, it could be different for humanities.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Wed May 19, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

Interesting fact: Here in DK we take a bachelor in three years, and a masters in two.

But very few actually completes on time, most people spend a bit more than three years on a bachelor, and a bit more than two on a masters. It's very simple really, over the course of a university degree you WILL fail some courses and need to retake them*, I've met very few people here that gets through uni without failing a course.

Of course, it might be because our education is free, so a missed course is not the end of the world for us. Personally I have one gotten myself dead drunk instead of attending the exam (I was gonna fail anyway though).

*While a bit exagerated, there is some truth in "if a course don't have at least 10% failing, it's too easy and needs a overhaul for next year" - especially for the big courses, it's slightly different when you follow a course with 10 people, then it's not considered extreme if everyone passes.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 am UTC

Huh wuh? I'm in the US. Glenside, PA - right outside of Philadelphia.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

Return to “General”