Mobius bracelet

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shoofle

Mobius bracelet

Postby Shoofle » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:13 pm UTC

They already have klein hats.

I think that the uncomfortability would just be the price to pay for having such constant sage advice.

What would Escher do?
Draw awesome pictures.

What would Escher do?
Break your mind.

What would Escher do?
Make water run uphill.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:55 pm UTC

I really want to sell the bracelets, but I'd have to get them custom-made and ship them myself, and that's more trouble than it's worth. So maybe someone else can start selling them and give me credit. I'd be happy with that!

Zach Lash

Postby Zach Lash » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:06 am UTC

I myself have made moebius style bracelets and necklaces with chainmail. It's fairly straightforward and not uncomfortable in that medium.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:23 pm UTC

Not uncomfortable relative to what? I've found that chainmail is not the most comfortable of textiles. It amuses me to think of chainmail as a textile.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:39 am UTC

Zach Lash wrote:I myself have made moebius style bracelets and necklaces with chainmail. It's fairly straightforward and not uncomfortable in that medium.

Hah, because walking around in chainmail wasn't *quite* geeky enough. Next up: kline helm.

Cowie

Postby Cowie » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:57 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that half the joke is the similarity between the WWED and WWJD bracelets. I'm not so sure there's any chainmail WWJD bracelets, but i could, of course, be horribly wrong.

On a side note, if you wear a wwjd bracelet there's a 98% you're christian ( I reserve 2% for the people who wear them as inspiration to convince everyone you meet you're the son of god, start a new religion and create your very own religious posse. I'm sure they exist. ), which means you believe he has supernatural powers. What would Jesus do? Part the red sea.
Gee, thanks for the sagely advice. Dick.

Or, oh Gee! I've impregnated my girlfriend! Whatever shall I do? Whenever faced with hardship in life, I confront my wrists for advice. Living strong isn't helping here, so I'm going to have to figure out what jesus would do. Claim immaculate conception?

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:35 am UTC

as far as i know, jesus never parted the red sea. i think moses would be more likely to part the red sea than jesus would be.

then again, i don't know jesus very well. it's entirely possible that he LOVES to part seas. maybe he throws sea-parting parties every friday that i'm never invited to.

twenty10

Postby twenty10 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:34 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:I really want to sell the bracelets, but I'd have to get them custom-made and ship them myself, and that's more trouble than it's worth. So maybe someone else can start selling them and give me credit. I'd be happy with that!

I found your comic last night (via boing), and saw that comic, my roommate and I would both rock one of those. How far have you looked into getting them made; ie, just how much work would it entail?
operation tetris

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:43 pm UTC

I found your comic last night (via boing), and saw that comic, my roommate and I would both rock one of those. How far have you looked into getting them made; ie, just how much work would it entail?

I haven't looked very heavily. They make various jewelry-type mobius bracelets, but I haven't tracked down anywhere that could do the printing/crochetting/whatever-you-call-it to make a WWJD-style bracelet. Probably the best thing would be to get one of those and give it a half-twist yourself, then reconnect them somehow. It would be cool to sell them, and I'm putting some of my art on wearable stuff (more of that to come later) but I just don't see a way to make those bracelets easily. Even if I could get custom WWJD-style bracelets, which I haven't been able to find, I wouldn't be able to do all the altering myself; it wouldn't be worth the time, I think.

If you can figure out a way to do it, let me know.

twenty10

Postby twenty10 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:02 am UTC

when I saw it, the first thing that came to my mind were this style bracelet, just clarifying.

I know some guys that threw a party, got that style of bracelet etched with the apartment address on it, I think, and gave them out as favors, and it was a pretty small operation. I imagine you could subcontract it to some firm (either get the guys that make the bracelets to manage it, or find some engineers (mechies maybe?) that can get a good process for it) to put the twist in it.. I bet it would see from here a lil bit, ebay a decent bit with good marketing, and sites similar to thinkgeek and other tech sites. Would probably have a good chance of being caught in the net news circuit (fark, /. boing, digg, etc).

but now I ramble.
operation tetris

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:25 pm UTC

Its that twist which is complicated. Its cheap because they have a production line that squezes out a strip of plastic, stamps it and joins it. This does not allow for a twist to be put in there, thou as a special order they could pull them off before the joining. which would leave twist free strips of plastic. At which point, someone would probibly have to go join them by hand.

You volentering?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

I thought it might be fun to necro the oldest thread.

I want one.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Solution:

* Knit a thin cuff.
* Before knitting the ends together, add a half-twist.

Voila! Moebius strip, complete except at the joint! And it's actually comfortable too, since it's fabric and not plastic.

My friend in college made me one of these and I wear it all the time. It makes me happy. :)
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:05 am UTC

Holy necromancing Batman!

...I thought Text-Based Counterstrike was the last thread on the list.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Return to “General”