This is a poll for those who know that ghosts don't exist.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Are you still scared of them?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 156

MildlyUpsetGrizzlyBear

This is a poll for those who know that ghosts don't exist.

Postby MildlyUpsetGrizzlyBear » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 am UTC

Because I am.
asdlknh;lakjsdfl;akf.

Just because they don't exist
doesn't stop them from being scary.

If someone trapped me overnight in an old mansion
with no windows and just enough (red) light to see vague outlines,
I would either come out completely insane or religiously enlightened.

On reflection, that explains so much.

just-mark

Re: This is a poll for those who know that ghosts don't exis

Postby just-mark » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

Would it really be 'ghosts' that you were scared of or just fear of the unknown? I'd argue that if you truly believe that ghosts don't exist then any sense of fear must be due to something else (whether that's an animal, mineral, vegetable or some other superstition).
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

Laika

Postby Laika » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

Good point, just-mark. This is why films like The Blair Witch Project and Jaws were so freaky. You never actually saw the monster or attacker, which left it up to your imagination to create an image or idea of the killer. I don't have a source for this, but I would imagine that children with more vivid imaginations would be more likely to have nightmares for this very reason.

Wikipedia - Fear of the Unknown

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Yes. If I'm in the right state of mind, my imagination will see or hear things, or I will just feel as if they are going to emerge.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

Yup. Still scared of them. I usually disbelieve people who tell you things are 'hard wired' into us. You know, like the people who talk about the 'god center' in the brain. They usually have some kind of agenda to push. But who knows, there might be something in it.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

I'm just a scaredy-cat. And just because ghosts don't exist doesn't mean they don't still have power in our dreams and subconscious.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

There is no fear but the fear of the unknown. I voted yes.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

insane, religiously enlightened, what's the difference?

I voted no, which doesn't mean that being alone in an old house at night wouldn't creep me out, I just wouldn't think about ghosts...
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Then why would it creep you out? What makes an old house intrinsically creepy in your opinion?
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

I'm not scared of ghosts, but I'm instinctively apprehensive of potentially threatening situations where I don't have all of the information. E.g. a dark room in a building I've never been before.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:Yup. Still scared of them. I usually disbelieve people who tell you things are 'hard wired' into us. You know, like the people who talk about the 'Jehova center' in the brain. They usually have some kind of agenda to push. But who knows, there might be something in it.
Gosh, like a brain wired to notice patters and watch for danger might go into overdrive in a dimly lit environment, causing the adrenaline system to start kicking in the case a predator ghost Betty White alien the Ronpaul were to leap out of the shadows?

Because we have that. That's what's to it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

Not really. That just explains why we're afraid of the dark. It doesn't explain why specific cultural myths scare us despite the full and certain knowledge that they are merely myths.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Having been in some of the more stereotypically-should-be-haunted-OMG-scary situations people tend to think of, I can confidently say ghosts don't particularly worry me. There's usually enough real hazards to keep you occupied, without making up more.

That said, if I ever did encounter a bona fide ghost, things might change.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 am UTC

The only part about them scaring me is appearing out of nowhere or so suddenly, whether if I was in a cemetery, house, or anywhere else.

I have a saying in my sig on a couple of paranormal forums I participate in: "Fear the living, not the dead". Really, the dead are nothing to be scared of. It's those that are still living that scare me, especially in an allegedly haunted location. The paranormal investigation group I'm a part of has a term for what some people tend to do. We call it a "dude run", in relation to an early episode of "Ghost Hunters" where an investigator (no longer on the show) got freaked out, yelled, "Dude, run!", while he himself took off.
PRG

An important message for you:

Low Caliber

Postby Low Caliber » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:00 am UTC

I get inanely scared of random stuff in the dark and whatnot, but never been scared of ghosts, when I am scared I can think up many more tangible threats then ghostly ones, I fear no god or post-mortal being, only their scary human counterparts.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 am UTC

I think it makes a huge difference when you've been told that the place is supposed to be haunted. I remember in primary school we went to a particular camp, where older children used to try and scare the shit out of younger children by telling them stories about a horrible spectre that haunted the premises known as the 'black nun'. I knew this to be bullshit, and not particularly inventive or original bullshit at that. Yet not only had the story survived for a couple of generations, but when a door opened in the coridoor, while I was thinking about the story, and nobody to my knowledge was around, I ran like buggery. It seems to me that no matter how certain you are that these ghost stories aren't true, there's still a little part of you that wants to believe. And when something happens unexpectedly, you suddenly switch to being a believer.
-a friend.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 am UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:Not really. That just explains why we're afraid of the dark. It doesn't explain why specific cultural myths scare us despite the full and certain knowledge that they are merely myths.
This is the first post of yours that I have read that is actually Wise. (Not that the others are bad posts)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

This happens to me all the time and I hate it!

For example, swimming in my apartment's pool (4 ft deep) I keep turning around because I'm afraid there will be a shark behind me, even with the knowledge that 1) there isn't, and 2) I wouldn't be able to do anything even if there were.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

I was brought up in a family that didn't believe in any of that oogy boogy stuff, so I never learned to be afraid of ghosts. I've been to tribal burial grounds, old battlefields and graveyards. There were no ghosts, and the only scary thing was the sneaking suspicion that we're going to keep making the same gorram mistakes our ancestors did.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:This happens to me all the time and I hate it!

For example, swimming in my apartment's pool (4 ft deep) I keep turning around because I'm afraid there will be a shark behind me, even with the knowledge that 1) there isn't, and 2) I wouldn't be able to do anything even if there were.

If I can't see the bottom, there's obviously a five hundred foot long leviathan about to eat me.

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

I have that too, only when I'm swimming in the sea. I still know there won't be sharks there (there aren't many sharks in the North sea, and none are dangerous to humans), but I still get freaked out easily when I see stranges shades in the water.

As for ghosts, I was never really scared of them. Whenever I am in a scary situation on land, I just try to analyze the sounds and shapes around me.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

Coffee wrote:I was brought up in a family that didn't believe in any of that oogy boogy stuff, so I never learned to be afraid of ghosts.

Hollywood is what did it to me.

I voted yes. My imagination gets the better of me.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

I've always been confused about what a ghost is supposed to actually do to you. Wouldn't it just go through you if it tried to do something?
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

Well, they have a frightful appearance which if you fail your fort save you take some strength, dex and con damage, their touch can deal 1d6 points of damage OR drain 1d4 points from a stat of their choosing, and they have a +4 resistance to turning, among the qualities of...

Oh, wait, that's D&D.

They, uh.. can moan at you?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

Levi wrote:

If I can't see the bottom, there's obviously a five hundred foot long leviathan about to eat me.

I once went to a lake that is quite small, about 150 m across, but almost 100 m deep, and it IS scary, even if you understand that swimming there is the same as swimming in something slightly deeper than your height, and that there are no fish that can harm you in any way there.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

At least they can't drain levels right?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

Sure, but if you take enough stat damage, you die..and it's kinda hard to outrun something that can pass through walls freely, so...

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

But I'm an undead hunter! And I have Carsomyr! No problem

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

Your apartment has a pool? Mate, I would KILL to have that.

For some reason I've never been scared of deep water, myself. In fact, the main difficulty is preventing me from diving into it when I'm supposed to be on the boat. It may have something to do with being born in the caul, or at least that's my mother's thinking.
-a friend.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

There's enough real things to be afraid of! As a kid, I would freak myself out by imagining that there were spiders lurking anywhere it was too dark to be sure. Between spiders, snakes, and friggen jellyfish, I think I have something to scare myself with in any environment.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:10 am UTC

When I'm in dark buildings/outside at night, if I do get freaked out by my imagination, it's usually because it thinks there's a mugger or a rabid dog or something lurking in the shadows waiting to attack me.

Having a cat bolt past less than two feet away from you after thinking that really doesn't help.

However, after the first time I watched the Dawn of the Dead remake, I went for a walk in the evening and after dark my subconscious kept thinking about zombies. Fortunatly, that only happened once.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 am UTC

I'm actually more afraid of shallow water than deep water. It's when my feet touch the ground, for a split second I feel like something or someone had just grabbed it.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 am UTC

I always think there's a zombie behind shower curtains or something like that. It always leads back to the uncertainty principle...
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:03 am UTC

nbonaparte wrote:I always think there's a zombie behind shower curtains or something like that. It always leads back to the uncertainty principle...

I've actually pulled the curtains back to check that the dark pile on the ground are the clothes I discarded and not a corpse, or something. Like I said, I'm a scaredy-cat.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:31 pm UTC

It's funny how you can forget where you put things as well, and a dressing gown hanging on a coathook on the door can make a very convincing spook in the right lighting conditions. At the age of 12, I once physically assaulted a door as a result of such confusion. Quite why I thought that would do any good...
-a friend.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:I always think there's a zombie behind shower curtains or something like that. It always leads back to the uncertainty principle...

A friend of mine is like that, and he says whenever he starts shampooing his hair is the worst because he can't see what's around him.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:45 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:

I've actually pulled the curtains back to check that the dark pile on the ground are the clothes I discarded and not a corpse, or something. Like I said, I'm a scaredy-cat.

SummerGlauFan wrote:A friend of mine is like that, and he says whenever he starts shampooing his hair is the worst because he can't see what's around him.

My grandma was scared to take a shower. She preferred soaking baths. She wasn't afraid of zombies or anything of that nature. She once told me that the Hitchcock classic "Psycho" really fucked her over when it came to taking a shower.
PRG

An important message for you:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:25 am UTC

I can't go taking swims in sharks anymore because of Jaws. :(
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

Reason has no place in fear. That means yes.

Return to “General”