The "How Have I Never Noticed That Before?" thread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RebeccaRGB

Re: The "How Have I Never Noticed That Before?" thread?

Postby RebeccaRGB » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 am UTC

Pesto wrote:Anyone else ever noticed the luchador mask below thee MGM lion?

Spoiler:

How the HELL have I never noticed that before!? It's so freakin' obvious and in your face! Now I'll never be able to look at that logo the same way again!

EDIT: Whoa, page-topper! Have to add quote for context.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 am UTC

I always noticed the heart-that-also-looks-like-a-mouth-because-of-the-two-creepy-eyes-above-it, but I never thought of a luchador.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:04 am UTC

I was always too busy looking at the lion.

You're a kitty!
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

minkis

Postby minkis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Just watched Jurassic Park 3. When Alan calls Ellie for help, and the little boy answers the phone, he goes to bring the phone to her, but gets distracted by the TV. Which is playing Barney.

Barney is a dinosaur.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

I was 18 before I realised that, in English, the druid in Asterix is called "Getafix". As in "Get-a-fix". I'd always read it as "Gat-e-fix" for some reason...
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

minkis wrote:Just watched Jurassic Park 3. When Alan calls Ellie for help, and the little boy answers the phone, he goes to bring the phone to her, but gets distracted by the TV. Which is playing Barney.

Barney is a dinosaur.

Ohmigod, Barney is a dinosaur! I've seen that movie 10+ times and never got that! :shock:

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:"Get-a-fix".

Oh man. I knew it was 'Get a fix' and that those are words, but it's only now occurred to me that that's because he's the guy dishing out the good stuff.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:I was 18 before I realised that, in English, the druid in Asterix is called "Getafix". As in "Get-a-fix". I'd always read it as "Gat-e-fix" for some reason...

So the translation added a joke that wasn't originally there? (it's Panoramix in French) That has to be a first.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

Nope: The English translations are pretty damn good and added loads of jokes to make up for the ones lost in translation, and added extra ones to make all the villagers' names fit with their charachters: Assurancetoutcomprix = Cocofonix, Idefix = Dogmatix, Ordrealphabetix = Unhygenix (because of his rotten fish) Agecannonix = Geriatrix (OK, it's the same joke here), etc., etc.
All in all, the English ones are still hilarious, but I still preffer the gags in French. Especially in Chez Les Bretons, where everyone talks backwards.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

Wouldn't really know that, I've only read the Dutch translations. Maybe I should read the French ones, it'd be good for my French.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

So you're East Belgian, then?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

West actually, but I don't get what that has to do with it. Language separation is North-South, not East-West, North speaking Dutch, South speaking French (and a couple of villages/cities in the North-East speak German).
You rang?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
OBrien wrote:I was 18 before I realised that, in English, the druid in Asterix is called "Getafix". As in "Get-a-fix". I'd always read it as "Gat-e-fix" for some reason...

So the translation added a joke that wasn't originally there? (it's Panoramix in French) That has to be a first.
Eh, it happens all the time. If a certain joke doesn't translate due to language or culture or whatever, you do the best you can to get the point across.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Zarq wrote:

Eh, it happens all the time. If a certain joke doesn't translate due to language or culture or whatever, you do the best you can to get the point across.

Then Dutch translators are the worst in the world.
You rang?

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:West actually, but I don't get what that has to do with it. Language separation is North-South, not East-West, North speaking Dutch, South speaking French (and a couple of villages/cities in the North-East speak German).

OIC. I tought it was East-West, but that's probably because I'm shit at geography. My mistake.
SecondTalon wrote:Eh, it happens all the time. If a certain joke doesn't translate due to language or culture or whatever, you do the best you can to get the point across.

The English translations for Asterix usually either make up a new joke or they take the joke out completely and add a new one in somewhere else.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Woolseyisms may be the name of what I'm thinking of.

Spoiler:
Also, this gem from the Polish version of Pulp Fiction:
Fabienne: Czyj to Harley? (Whose Harley is that?)
Butch: Zeda. (It's Zed's.)
Fabienne: Kto to jest Zed? (Who's Zed?)
Butch: Zed zszedł, kochanie. (Zed passed away, baby. - which sounds in Polish almost exactly like the original "Zed's dead" as the two words rhyme.)

Various dubs of Robin Hood Men In Tights change the gag when Robin Hood tells the Sheriff, "unlike other Robin Hoods, I speak with an English accent" because foreign viewers who saw the dubbed 1991 Kevin Costner film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves wouldn't get the joke. So, it is changed to another line deriding Costner. For example, the German dub changes the line into something like "because unlike that other Robin Hood, I do not cost the producers 5 million", putting stress on kosten (cost) as a pun on Costner.
The entire Phoenix Wright series is (apparently, as I haven't actually played it) a good example of what I'm yammering about.
Spoiler:
Animal Stereotypes: Used in different ways for character designs to help build their characterization. Maggey Byrde's name is a pun based on a magpie, thought to be a very unlucky bird. Furio Tigre isn't just named for an angry, powerful tiger; he has one on his shirt and roars when he's upset. The Kitaki mafia family has trickster foxes on their clothing, and Wocky's hair makes him look like a fox. Alita Tiala has bird wings on her dress to help her look sweeter. Daryan Crescend's hair and jacket are reminiscent of a vicious shark. Phoenix's name is a reference to his trials ability to, essentially, come back from the dead.

* Not surprisingly, some of these characters have the same puns in their Japanese names. Furio Tigre's surname "Toranosuke" literally means Tiger boy. The tiger devouring a dragon on his shirt is actually a reference to Phoenix that is lost in translation, because Phoenix's name in Japan is "Ryuichi" and is spelled with the kanji for "dragon"—tigers and dragons are natural enemies. "Ryuichi" isn't supposed to have any meaning at all, but the writers chose to play around with it in the third game anyway when they make his "evil twin". The English release gave the main character's name meaning anyway, via Woolseyism. Same for Maggey Byrde, who's name has no animal references in Japanese (but literally means "continues to lose").
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Huh. Very interesting.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

I love words for things like that, where it's stunning anybody thought to name the thing. There was a really elaborate one in the translation of the Odyssy we studied once which was considerably funnier than the original just because it was trying so hard to work.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

I had a HHINNTB moment some years back when I noticed that engineer means engine-er. Before that, I always had trouble spelling the word.

Also, the Browning logo
browning-logo.jpg

At first I thought it was a guy with a crab on his head. Instead of, you know, a dear.

Although I like my way more.
Last edited by Mr. Mack on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

Woolsey (of who Woolseyisms get their name) is of one school of Translation that's basic gist is - make it work, and try to not make it sound stupid. What is poetic and romantic in one language when translated may sound fucking stupid (Your hair is like kelp) so you get the intent across by.. mucking with what was actually said. Often drastically. Done right, it makes all new jokes and gets a similar enough work that everyone gets the point, even if the details are all different. That said, this makes discussing something in an international crowd difficult as the joke told in Germany, Norway, Kenya, The US and Japan may all be completely different. Problems also arise if the translators don't read/watch/whatever far enough ahead to understand that a character's name was an indicator of their eventual fate, or that a one-off joke in the first chapter ends up being a plot point by the 9th or whatever. Some people also get the impression that the translators are thinking the target audience is stupid and won't get the cultural references and whatnot, which... in many cases is a bit unfounded and the target audience will pick up on whatever, but in some cases it will be a bit jarring and odd. For example, since I'm writing English here I expect most of you will understand, the saying of "Feels like someone just walked over my grave"..... without a cultural backing understanding that it's an expression for a sudden chill and/or uneasy feeling, what the fuck is that supposed to mean? How the hell do you have a grave if you aren't dead? How would you feel someone walking over it? In a culture that buries it's dead in holes in cliff face, how could someone walk over it in the first place? So yeah, without heavy footnotes, some things don't translate well, and a lot of media doesn't provide for a nifty way of inserting footnotes, and even if they do, they can sometimes disrupt the narrative flow.

The other school of translation is that you translate everything as faithfully as possible, trying to keep intent but more importantly trying to translate the exact meaning of the words said. The problems with this come in as.. above.. when cultural norms are translated with no explanation yet everyone in the media is treating it as completely normal and not unusual, yet not enough detail is shown of what's going on for someone who's not of that culture to pick up on what's happening, why it's happening, or it's significance, leading them to draw false conclusions about either the narrative itself ("I'll see you in Hell!" ...oh, wait, wasn't that bar in the opening chapter called Hell's Keg? So they're going back there?) or about the culture in which it was written (as the earlier example "So this culture must make a practice of purchasing gravesites long before they die or even graduate high school, as here's a 16 year old kid mentioning someone on their grave)

Now, this is my own little opinion, but if the media in question is subtitled, I prefer method 2 as no matter how stupid it reads, I understand I'm just getting the gist of what was said, and the jibbajabba happening elsewhere is probably really nice or whatever in the native language. If it's dubbed over or otherwise obscured, then I prefer the 1st method I mentioned as it seems a lot more fluid and natural.

When done well, of course. When they're done poorly, it doesn't matter which method is used, it's going to suck.

Oh! It took a bad D&D Ravenloft book for me to notice that Laboratory (A place where you do work) starts with Labor-.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:I had a HHINNTB moment some years back when I noticed that engineer means engine-er. Before that, I always had trouble spelling the word.

The word "engine" has such an interesting etymology. It comes from the latin word "ingenium", which means something along the lines of cleverness (the word is obviously related to "ingenious"). So one can define "engine" to be a clever device.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

I really hate the first method. Do they really think Europeans don't know Taco Bell?
(Demolition Man; all Taco Bell logos were 'shopped into Pizza Hut logos, and all spoken mentioning of Taco Bell was dubbed to "Pizza Hut")
You rang?

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Also, the Browning logo
browning-logo.jpg

At first I thought it was a guy with a crab on his head. Instead of, you know, a dear.

Although I like my way more.

Ohhh, I get it. That confused me all through my childhood tennis lessons. I thought it was some sort of Zoidberg like creature.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Isn't it two deer? One in black with antlers, and one in white inside it with just ears.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Deers! All the way down!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Isn't it two deer? One in black with antlers, and one in white inside it with just ears.

Oh! It is two deer. How have I never noticed that before?
Again.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Deers! All the way down!

Oh deer.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Also, note the lack of apparent occular organs. I had no idea.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Still, the legs are missing too.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 am UTC

Wait, animlas in logos aren't actual living beings with complete anatomy?

WHAT THE FUCK?

More seriously, Inversion and inverse are both from invert. I'd considered them seperately, and then one day realized that they were the same word. if you take the inverse of something it is an inversion. I'm a moron.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:Wait, animlas in logos aren't actual living beings with complete anatomy?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Ptolom is just continuing the joke. Because what do you call a deer with no eyes, *and* no legs?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:30 am UTC

Not a clue.
Ⓞⓞ◯

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 am UTC

Zarq wrote:I really hate the first method. Do they really think Europeans don't know Taco Bell?
(Demolition Man; all Taco Bell logos were 'shopped into Pizza Hut logos, and all spoken mentioning of Taco Bell was dubbed to "Pizza Hut")

A crappy movie has a crappy translation? I'm shocked.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Zarq wrote:I really hate the first method. Do they really think Europeans don't know Taco Bell?

A crappy movie has a crappy translation? I'm shocked.
Crappy? But -- but he doesn't know how to use the three seashells! It's hilarious!
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Various dubs of Robin Hood Men In Tights change the gag when Robin Hood tells the Sheriff, "unlike other Robin Hoods, I speak with an English accent"
The maniacs! That was the best joke!

I hope they kept in Strucky has loxed again.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:
Antimony-120 wrote:Wait, animlas in logos aren't actual living beings with complete anatomy?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Ptolom is just continuing the joke. Because what do you call a deer with no eyes, *and* no legs?

I know, I was just going along with it as well. Hence the "More seriously" below it, as in "What went before this wasn't remotely serious, just me being silly".
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Various dubs of Robin Hood Men In Tights change the gag when Robin Hood tells the Sheriff, "unlike other Robin Hoods, I speak with an English accent"
The maniacs! That was the best joke!

I hope they kept in Strucky has loxed again.
Sure, but what if in the Swedish dub, the Swedish stand-in for Costner spoke Swedish with an English Accent? Then the joke wouldn't work! That's why they replaced it with a pun on herring.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

How did I never notice that this guy

Spoiler:

is this guy

Spoiler:
You rang?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Is this kid
Spoiler:
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Your image doesn't work correctly.
You rang?

Return to “General”