Free postage?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Free postage?

Postby Narsil » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:30 am UTC

From some bizarre Cyclopean tomb of my mind came this idea today.

If you sent a letter or package with no postage, but put the return address as the letter's intended destination, wouldn't the mailman have no choice but to take the letter back to where he thought it came from? I ca't figure out why it wouldn't work. I'm not sure about outside the city but still I don't see why not. A way to make it more sneaky would be to make the main address somewhere crazy and far off, farther than where you want the letter to go. Then they would find it cheaper to send the letter back to the return address, but it's where you want it to go the whole time!

Are there any flaws in my diabolical scheme?

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:37 am UTC

i can't see why it wouldn't work, seems like a good idea. reminds me of my idea: if you just posted a stamp with an address on the back, would they deliver it? although i think in reality they would just ignore/not notice the extra stamp in the bottom of the postbox and it would sit there forever.
slow down, you move too fast

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:16 am UTC

It works quite well for small items, but it's suggested you put a stamp or two on larger parcels (still less than required) for greater sucess.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:33 am UTC

Could I in theory bankrupt the US economy by mailing and object of incredibly massive size? (e.g. The Moon) I would need some hella lotta brown paper. My weekend is planned out.

rlo

Postby rlo » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:36 am UTC

What happens when you try to mail a brick, or an unwrapped hammer, or a wrapped but rotten fish? The research has been done.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:54 am UTC

I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

boethius78

Postby boethius78 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:58 am UTC

Wouldn't they just keep hold of it until you pay the excess postage?

This just has to be done: http://bash.org/?127039

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:34 pm UTC

A firne dand i did an experiment with this. I can't remember the details, but we sent several envelopes, one with the return address as the one we wanted it to go to and a bullshit address ont he front, one with the address we wanted both front and back, one with a real address ont he front and the one we wanted as return, and a few others. I don't recall the results. The one with just the address we wanted never got through. Some of the others muct have bee held, since they took a few weeks to arrive.

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:31 pm UTC

i think it'd just go to undelivered mail,
i'm not sure if the US have it, but in Aus, there is an "un-collected mail" building with lots and lots and ltos and ltos and lots of mail in it
nd i mean lots.
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

Charodei

Postby Charodei » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:39 pm UTC

There is a major dead-letter office in Minnesota, largely for undeliverable mail. If there's no deliverable address, they will open mail and check for a valid one inside. Every so often they auction stuff off in lots. For example, a storage unit full of sporting equipment.

As for insufficient postage... If the return address is local, they'll probably just send it back there. Not so useful, as you might as well deliver it yourself if they're nearby. Other mail might be sent to the recipients (or return addressee's) post office. They'll be given a note that they have mail, but have to go to the post office and pay the postage to get it. Otherwise, it's dead, and it will likely never be seen again. Hope it wasn't anything important.

Return to “General”