Most excellent times

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Max™

Re: Awesome Thread: awesome

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:52 am UTC

Nikola Tesla had a lab once to build a wireless global power station, sadly that fell through, but in awesome news, The Oatmeal set up a campaign to buy it and turn it into a Nikola Tesla Museum: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_museum

I'm not sure when it started, but it wasn't very long ago, and with 41 days left to get together $850k, they've almost raised $700k, and I think that qualifies as awesome.
mu

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Got extra hours at my job as a pizza driver for being a reliable asset. From five hours on Friday to backup on Saturday, I now have guaranteed time both days. Essentially, my income from that job just doubled, which is pretty handy given its 90% sitting around reading in between orders.

Today, pizza driver. Tomorrow, ASSISTANT SENIOR pizza driver. Moving up in the world.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

thorgold wrote:Got extra hours at my job as a pizza driver for being a reliable asset. From five hours on Friday to backup on Saturday, I now have guaranteed time both days. Essentially, my income from that job just doubled, which is pretty handy given its 90% sitting around reading in between orders.

Today, pizza driver. Tomorrow, ASSISTANT SENIOR pizza driver. Moving up in the world.

Now combine that with your mad ninja/hacking skills, and you could be Hiro Protagonist*

*crazy Aleutian terrorist with a pocket nuke, Sumerian ur-language mind-virus, and Pentacostal dominionists not included.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:11 am UTC

Taikyoku Shogi

It's like chess, except instead of playing with 16 pieces of 6 different types on a 8x8 board, you play with 402 pieces of 209 different types on a 36x36 board. Games can take literally days.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:08 pm UTC

This is amazing. Also, stick around at the end for some interactive fun (may not work in all browsers).
http://vimeo.com/47875656
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:57 am UTC

I built a desktop fan using an electric motor harvested from an RC car, cardboard from a Fudgicle box, and LEGOs.
fan.jpg
Uses 2 AA batteries (not included). :mrgreen:
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

ExplodingHat wrote:I built a desktop fan using an electric motor harvested from an RC car, cardboard from a Fudgicle box, and LEGOs.
fan.jpg
Uses 2 AA batteries (not included). :mrgreen:

That is MacGyvring at its finest. Hats off to you, sir!

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:07 am UTC

Well, it helps that the motor itself so happens to fit for all intents and purposes *exactly* in a 3x3x4 LEGO space.

Edit: After a minor rotor blade failure, I replaced the entire blade assembly with pieces cut from a Cheerios box. The extra stiffness made it easier to shape the airfoils, and increases the overall flow efficiency by a noticeable amount.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:16 pm UTC

After 2 years and 7 months, I no longer have braces! On an unrelated note, I had an apple today for the first time in about 2 years and 7 months.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:Nikola Tesla had a lab once to build a wireless global power station, sadly that fell through, but in awesome news, The Oatmeal set up a campaign to buy it and turn it into a Nikola Tesla Museum: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_museum

I'm not sure when it started, but it wasn't very long ago, and with 41 days left to get together $850k, they've almost raised $700k, and I think that qualifies as awesome.

there's still 17 days left and they've raised about $1.24 million which I assume means no only can they buy the lab, but put all the extra money into turning it into a museum!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:After 2 years and 7 months, I no longer have braces! On an unrelated note, I had an apple today for the first time in about 2 years and 7 months.

Oh gods, the food you miss out on.

I had to go two years without Wheat Thins. I don't know how I did it. With the amount of them I eat now you'd think I'm addicted.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Rium

Postby Rium » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:After 2 years and 7 months, I no longer have braces! On an unrelated note, I had an apple today for the first time in about 2 years and 7 months.
Speaking of apples: On a whim, I decided to fry apple slices in butter today, and oh my god was it good. Reminded me of baked apples, unsurprisingly. [/cookingdiscoveriesofacollegestudent]

Drowsy Turtle

Postby Drowsy Turtle » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 pm UTC

Rium wrote:
Speaking of apples: On a whim, I decided to fry apple slices in butter today, and oh my god was it good. Reminded me of baked apples, unsurprisingly. [/cookingdiscoveriesofacollegestudent]

Was it by any chance because all you had to eat was apples and butter?
Any offensive material posted is a consequence of societal pressure, the New World Order, the Mayans and David Bellamy. No responsibility will be taken for offense caused.
So suck it.

Rium

Postby Rium » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

Close. It was because it was the second-easiest thing to make (after just eating the apples). Also, because I like putting things in a fry pan and heating it and seeing what happens.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 am UTC

http://rapgenius.com/

This website is going to eat up a lot of time I should be working. Especially this page:
http://rapgenius.com/artists/Aesop-rock
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 am UTC

Kick

Postby Kick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:22 am UTC

I have managed to not gain back the 20 pounds I lost over the summer and just finished a mile jog.

I had forgotten the feeling of being so incredibly tired but proud and happy that I had accomplished something I set out to do.

Next step: More of the same.
I'm never sarcastic.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:There's a team that's porting Baldur's Gate 2 to the Dragon Age: Origins engine.

lal;kdfl;aksdjfal;sdhgals;dkfjksldajhgfdl;khasdf

Why were the Shadow Thieves fighting each other? I don't recall that in BG2.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm UTC

I finally saw Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.

Also The Dark Knight Rises.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Not so awesome: My nice road bike was stolen from my basement two days ago - roommates and I still haven't figured out how they managed it.

Awesome: It was sitting outside my front door when I left to go to class this morning!

Drowsy Turtle

Postby Drowsy Turtle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

Landlord brought me a replacement oven after the old one stopped working. Whilst carrying the old one out the house, to find somewhere to hide it, some guy asks to have it for scrap - awesome free oven disposal (I was going to leave it in an alley somewhere).
Any offensive material posted is a consequence of societal pressure, the New World Order, the Mayans and David Bellamy. No responsibility will be taken for offense caused.
So suck it.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

So you sold it for just one scrap? You got ripped off, that's worth at least 2 rec!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote:Not so awesome: My nice road bike was stolen from my basement two days ago - roommates and I still haven't figured out how they managed it.

Awesome: It was sitting outside my front door when I left to go to class this morning!

Good Guy Thief: "Borrows" your bike, remembers to return it later

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:21 am UTC

thorgold wrote:
jawdisorder wrote:Not so awesome: My nice road bike was stolen from my basement two days ago - roommates and I still haven't figured out how they managed it.

They were even nice enough to reset the computer so I could know exactly how far they took it.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

Awesome: Texas Instruments will Fedex free samples to electronics students. Now I just need to perfect the art of hand soldering TSSOP packages.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:26 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote:
thorgold wrote:

They were even nice enough to reset the computer so I could know exactly how far they took it.

That made me think of a corrolary.
Good Guy Thief: Borrows your car, resets the odometer before using and returns it with a full tank of gas.

Also, awesome for me. Broke the 17 minute barrier for the 3 mile cross-country race! Mile splits at 5:28, 5:30, 5:42. Last split wasn't awesome, but hey, 17 MINUTES! Beat my previous PR by 30 seconds, and it was a hot, tired day. Can't wait for sectionals - fall temps in full swing, 2 week muscle preparation (rest!), the works. I feel like going to State this year :D

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 am UTC

After two weeks of obsessive prototyping, I proudly present Centrifugator™ High-Efficiency Portable Air Circulator: A complete revolution in fan design! :mrgreen:
production.jpg
*Ingredients:
Spoiler:
Radio Shack 1.5-3V electric motor, Posterboard, Paper clips, Duct Tape, Wire, Aluminum Foil, Hot Glue, Rubber Cement, Crazy Glue.
*Batteries not included.
I'll eventually get around to posting the cutout designs online and maybe make an instructional vid or something.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:49 am UTC

ExplodingHat wrote:A complete revolution in fan design! :mrgreen:

*groan*

Nice work though - does it do the job well?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 am UTC

So it blows air up into a box that has holes on useful sides?
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:57 am UTC

The box (or cage, as I call it) contains a centrifugal impeller (hence the name) that sucks air in from above and below, and blasts it out of up to 6 sides (5 of them covered by removable cards in the picture), allowing for air in multiple (or all) directions at once. The only real disadvantage is that wind velocity drops pretty strongly after 4 or more sides are open. Advantages include portability (only 6in high, with a 5in diameter), hexagonal construction (very sturdy, and allows you to put it on its side(s) if you want to angle the air up or down), high efficiency (reduced disk loading on impeller compared to an equivalent-power axial fan, eliminates the need for the generally wasteful 'oscillate' option on axial fans), and smoother air outflow (your voice doesn't distort if you talk into it, no persistent blade-tip vortices, low noise with little harmonic content).
As for it working well, it is presently keeping myself and my computer comfortably cool. The motor heats up more than I'd like, but that's the price I pay for getting hot glue in there (it was an accident, I swear).

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

Neat, about $300 cheaper than the Dyson bladeless fans.

Also, since it got removed from the other thread, and is nonetheless awesome:
Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Whoa: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/28 ... _spinning/

Jet-Launching Structure Resolved Near the Supermassive Black Hole in M87

Abstract
Approximately 10% of active galactic nuclei exhibit relativistic jets, which are powered by accretion of matter onto super massive black holes. While the measured width profiles of such jets on large scales agree with theories of magnetic collimation, predicted structure on accretion disk scales at the jet launch point has not been detected. We report radio interferometry observations at 1.3 mm wavelength of the elliptical galaxy M87 that spatially resolve the base of the jet in this source. The derived size of 5.5 ± 0.4 Schwarzschild radii is significantly smaller than the innermost edge of a retrograde accretion disk, suggesting that the M87 jet is powered by an accretion disk in a prograde orbit around a spinning black hole.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early ... ce.1224768

Go go gadget Lazarus!
mu

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:55 am UTC

I just realized that today I have owned my house for more than a year. Cool Awesome.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Eseell wrote:I just realized that today I have owned my house for more than a year. Cool Awesome.

Relatedly, I got pre-approved for a mortgage today. Now I can actually make an offer when I find a house I like.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Congrats! Buying a house is pretty stressful, but owning one has been great so far.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:19 am UTC

Yes, be prepared for a lot of stress, right up to and including closing, but it can definitely be worth it.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

Relatedly, I'm renting my first house away from my parents with my boyfriend, we moved most of our stuff there today as well as buying things we needed (such as dishes and pots) and we're going to sleep there tomorrow night!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

Thanks for the congrats peoples. Actually found a great house today and I'm making an offer tomorrow.

Oh, and congratulations RollingHead! Your first space away from your parents is pretty exciting (at least it was for me).
--Flobots "Mayday"

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:49 pm UTC

I gotta nominate Schrollini for awesome above and beyond the line of duty over in the pressures thread.
mu

Schrollini

Postby Schrollini » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:05 am UTC

Max™ wrote:I gotta nominate Schrollini for awesome above and beyond the line of duty over in the pressures thread.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'd like to thank the members of the Academy, my parents, who always believed in me, my agent (Love ya, Sid!), my....

Seriously though [1], I think almost everyone participating in the Pressures thread is displaying awesome patience and good-humor in dealing with amazing stubornness.

[1] Did I just say "seriously though" is a non-ironic manner? So not awesome.
For your convenience: a LaTeX to BBCode converter

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 am UTC

Uh, does anyone wanna maybe...summarize what's going on in that thread? I don't really feel like reading 83 pages...

Return to “General”