I want this so... so.. so... much...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

I want this so... so.. so... much...

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:31 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7eGypGOlOc

*drools* I would kill for that.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:43 am UTC

That is FANTASTIC! The things you could do...! :D

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:04 am UTC

Now i'm not certainl but i think the people in my class reading physics has such a device.... I'm not sure though, i am yet to see it
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:00 am UTC

What was that old computer game? The Incredible Machine or something? Man, that was so awesome.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:12 am UTC

That'd be cool for doing some interesting simulations easily. Make a large system of springs...make all of them anharmonic and put some energy into the system...and let it go. All by drawing. Well, except I'm sure it'd take a few menus to make them all anharmonic, but that's not the point...

So, yeah, a quicker and easier way to do some of those Mathematica simulations that we like so much to figure out what's going on with a system that you're just not going to be able to solve explicitly. I like.

pitofdarkness

Postby pitofdarkness » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:53 am UTC

Is it this? , I think it has been on Somethingawful or somewhere similar. Pity the file is "not available" when you try and download the trial.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:34 pm UTC

Pintarlabs virtual mechanics! I love that program! Lost it when I formatted ages ago, I think it might still be up on my old hosting I had with my last ISP. Probably not though, I think they deleted it months ago.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:50 pm UTC

pitofdarkness wrote:Is it this? , I think it has been on Somethingawful or somewhere similar. Pity the file is "not available" when you try and download the trial.

From the screenshots I could google forth, I don't think so.

I think it is Interactive Physics.

ohki

Postby ohki » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:26 pm UTC

I'll admit it is an amazing interface in the way that it's able to create and model objects based on rough drawings, but that video fails to show the power of that app. The videos on their homepage show a much more indepth system... specifiying exact velocities, coefficients of friction, etc.

I'm more impressed by the simple UI though :D The math simulation parts nothing new, but that UI... would be great for teaching basic physics.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:21 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:
pitofdarkness wrote:Is it this? , I think it has been on Somethingawful or somewhere similar. Pity the file is "not available" when you try and download the trial.

From the screenshots I could google forth, I don't think so.

I think it is Interactive Physics.

Looked like it to me. I remember using that program in high school (minus the drawing board).
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

shine_and_shing

Postby shine_and_shing » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:49 pm UTC

I wish I could get a tattoo like that.

Moving springs, on my shoulder blade,
or a little cart on a ramp, behind my ear. That'd be so cool.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:54 pm UTC

Any moving tattoo would be badass.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Kas

Postby Kas » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:47 am UTC

Reminds me of a physics puzzle game I've played - Armadillo Run.

I think there is a demo of it floating around somewhere, if you thought the video was interesting I think ya'll would dig the game.
"I love all those who are heavy drops, falling one by one out of the dark cloud that hangs over men: they herald as the advent of lightning, and, as heralds, they perish."
-Nietzsche

myoumyouou

Postby myoumyouou » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:06 am UTC

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40255643/ its somewhat like this, except that thing is cooler, this is, however very fun, and very addictive.
everything you've ever thought about has been thought about before. think about it

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:28 am UTC

myoumyouou wrote:http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40255643/ its somewhat like this, except that thing is cooler, this is, however very fun, and very addictive.

Yeh I just found out about this too!

Binary.Tobis

Postby Binary.Tobis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:44 pm UTC

My friend has this program and I think I saw one of these markers where I work the other day. o_o I know what I am doing today.
"A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday, but never remembers her age."

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:46 pm UTC

The physics simulator does appear to be Interactive Physics, but the drawing interface is MIT's Assist Sketch Understanding System and Operation. There's some more videos at the bottom of the page here. From the Interactive Physics demos, it looks like ordinarily setting up a model is fairly complicated. The MIT interface looks a lot more intuitive and suitable for on-the-fly examples.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:59 pm UTC

Kas wrote:Reminds me of a physics puzzle game I've played - Armadillo Run.

I think there is a demo of it floating around somewhere, if you thought the video was interesting I think ya'll would dig the game.

I LOVE armadillo run!
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Kas

Postby Kas » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:45 am UTC

Yeah, I'm surprised more people on this forum haven't heard of it.

We should totally exchange level solutions sometime. <_<
"I love all those who are heavy drops, falling one by one out of the dark cloud that hangs over men: they herald as the advent of lightning, and, as heralds, they perish."

-Nietzsche

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:20 pm UTC

That is ridiculously fun-looking, and I am torrenting this game as I type!

pravit726

Postby pravit726 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:51 pm UTC

There's a mod for HL2 called Garry's mod that allows you to tinker around with wheels, ropes, pulleys, and play with the physics engine. Some people have even created Rube Goldberg-like machines with it(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNHj0gPtpJE)

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:54 pm UTC

Ok, I'm gonna say something stupid here...since somebody brought up Garry's Mod...

Somebody, possibly one of us, possibly in a future design studio, needs to make a game which explicitly exists to be a first-person type game which has a ton of Rube Goldberg in it. You know, it exists mainly for players to do tricking.

And, even better yet, somebody needs to do a massive multiplayer game like that. I don't know how you'd make massive multiplayer + Rube Goldberg stuff, but I want to see it.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:01 am UTC

Wow, I'm surprised it hasn't be Open Source'd yet.

Return to “General”