Have You Ever Taken Drugs?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Please tick the appropriate box.

I have never taken drugs and I never intend to.
44%
I have never taken drugs but I would take them if given a chance to.
15%
I have taken drugs and I still do occasionally/regularly.
26%
I have taken drugs but have stopped using them completely.
11%
I have taken drugs, however I can no longer take drugs for a particular reason but I wish I could take them still.
4%
I am addicted to some form(s) of drugs currently.
1%

Total votes: 434

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Re: Have You Ever Taken Drugs?

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Enuja wrote:At the core, I'm a person who enjoys moderation, and I certainly don't want to become an alcoholic, but I think, maybe every other month or so, it would make sense to deliberately create a situation where I'm going to get rip-roaring drunk.

Enuja, I like your style.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Chfan wrote:that's basically what drunk/high is, right? loss of inhibitions?

Not exactly. Drunkenness reduces your inhibitions, sure, but other drugs do many different things to many different neurological functions.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Hmm... this topic has slightly changed my outlook. I'd definitely want to control my use of anything, though not hard with coffee, it still tastes nasty to me.

Whatever my definition of 'hardcore' is, I'd never venture within miles (kilometers).

Also:
SecondTalon wrote:Drugs? No. Bohemian Rhapsody is about coming to terms with one's homosexuality and the consequences that entails in an anti-homosexual culture. I think.

That's not what matters; what matters is what the song says to you while you're incapacitated. Therefore, it is about the Vietnam War. QED :P

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:29 am UTC

ok, I drink pretty regularly, as students will, but usually not to complete drunkenness. but that's not a drug. I do smoke weed. I only started using regularly this sem, but even so I dont think ive ever done it more than about 3x a week. Never had that stereotypical stoner high, but I'm getting better. My coach says with a few weeks of hard work I'll be a bona fide stoner.

not done anything else, although shrooms grow wild in parts of canberra.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

I'm 19, soon to turn 20, and have little experience with drugs. I smoked pot a couple of times for the first time last summer, and found it very relaxing and enjoyable. I've read up a lot on different substances the last couple of months, and I'm currently very interested in shrooms, and intend to acquire some very soon. At the moment i think I'd try most substances if I had the chance except heroin, datura and maybe cocaine.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

sparks

Postby sparks » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

I voted "I have but have stopped taking them completely", because there wasn't a "I tried them but didn't really like it". I took pot once or twice, but found it to be completely awful. I just don't like being out of control, and if I wanted something that made me act like a moron, I'd get to the nearest pub and do it legally. I also hate the whole stoner scene, it's incredibly stupid and most people I met are assholes who will probably be leeching off their parents until they (hopefully) die. Also, when I briefly mentioned this to my psychotherapist, she said she is used to dealing with drug cases and it's not as harmless as many people make it out to be. I do not intend to ever take illicit or otherwise illegal drugs ever in my entire life.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

I used to do some drugs, when I was at University. Surprise, I know. Occasionally smoked pot, took shrooms and LSD too. It was never a big thing with me though, I mainly tried them because I was interested and wanted to see what it was like (I blame my psychology modules). I don't even really drink alcohol much though, so it may be my habit of moderation there carried over to other substances. I stopped, mainly because I have better things to spend my money on and time doing. I still drink alcohol occasionally, but apart from a possibly crippling caffeine addiction, I'm clean as a whistle.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

I haven't, but I'll probably try 'em at some point. I doubt I'll like 'em, I'm very much a person who likes to control himself.
Omni.

jlamothe

Postby jlamothe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

I don't have time atm to read the whole thread, but this stood out to me.
thicknavyrain wrote:Interesting fact I picked up from my Religious Studies teacher (if someone knows more about this maybye they can message me) 80% of persistant offendors are hard drug users.

I am not in any way endorsing drugs. I'm actually quite against them in fact (but this isn't the tread for that).

I do however feel that this is a misleading statistic. From a logical standpoint, it would be better to know what percentage of hard drug users are repeat offenders.

Just because 80% of people from group A belong to group B, it does not necessarily follow that 80% (or even many at all) of people from group B fall into group A.

You can use statistics to prove anything to anyone. 87% of all people know this.

Tonyplusplus

Postby Tonyplusplus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:18 am UTC

I've had prescription drugs and weed. I'm not against other options, the opportunity to try new drugs just hasn't presented itself. Drugs I don't plan on using are pretty much limited to heroin (seems like things can get out of control too quickly) and cocaine (doesn't seem like a fun high).

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:47 am UTC

what? i'm the only one with cojones enough to admit it?

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

I would think you'd want to add meth to "list of drugs you really probably shouldn't get into."
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Meth, Crack, heroin, injecting things directly into blood stream, Deadly nightshade (Yes, people get high on that), and several others are on my "Never do" list.

I've only had a couple of bad trips, but hasn't deterred me.
One thing to note and something highlights the fact extremely well, less than 100micrograms of LSD can massively alter your perception of the world. Not only does it show you're thought process is dependant on exactly what you consumed recently, but it also shows that the way you perceive everything you see around you can be completely altered by even minute amounts of things.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

jlamothe wrote:Just because 80% of people from group A belong to group B, it does not necessarily follow that 80% (or even many at all) of people from group B fall into group A.

It doesn't follow at all. I pointed out once before that this single percentage is completely, 100% irrelevant, because we don't know any other information that could possibly lead to a conclusion.

It's like I said: I suspect that 100% of repeat offenders has been talked to about religion. Does that mean we can jump to any kind of conclusion about the relationship between hearing about religion and being a repeat offender? They've pretty much all got a couple eyes, a nose, and a mouth, too...

Rat wrote:what? i'm the only one with cojones enough to admit it?

To admit what? That you're addicted to an illegal drug? Considering the proportions in the other category, I really wouldn't be surprised if you were the only one whose taken the poll at this point who is.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

Rat wrote:what? i'm the only one with cojones enough to admit it?

You and me, baby.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

I admitted to being addicted by voting, but I'm addicted to nicotine so I changed my vote (didn't know you could do that).

The poll apparently isn't for legal substances though.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I should stay far away from anything even mildly addictive. I have an additive personality, so I don't even know why I started smoking.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

I mean drugs is a very undefined term. I'm assuming you mean illegal substances. Naturally caffeine, alcohol and even on a rare occasion an Acetaminophen like substance may enter my system. I think pre-college graduation I'd taken Penicillin more times in my life than I'd taken pain killers.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Subtly_in_your_Mind

Postby Subtly_in_your_Mind » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:44 am UTC

I'm in the super paranoid/DO NOT WANT category. I don't even bother taking medicine for a cold sore.

However, I would like to experience fine whine someday. Probably on my 21st birthday, although I'll probably do it sooner then that. But can you really label that as a drug?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:05 am UTC

Subtly_in_your_Mind wrote:But can you really label that as a drug?

Not according to the poll, but yes, alcohol most certainly is a drug, with effects that are stronger and often more dangerous than others like pot.
---

(he/him/his)

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 am UTC

I drank a lot when I was younger, but had a series of horrible experiences and back-pedalled to the point that I'd have a panic attack when talking about alcohol. Since then, I've come to a more moderate stance- I'll drink a little bit here and there, but it interacts with the medication I'm on, so I don't do it often. I'd like to try pot, but I haven't had much access to it, and I have a tendency to anxiety, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me. I can see myself panicking and hurting someone.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Sparthox

Postby Sparthox » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:32 am UTC

I smoke pot every so often but that's about it. I consider alcohol and tobacco much worse; as a rule I stay away from them and only use on certain occasions - a few beers here and there at a party or a cigar on a friend's birthday.

I'm not sure if I'd try any other drug - maybe shrooms, but I haven't made that call yet. Never any hard drug.
juststrange wrote:Same wedding, 2 cakes, 1 regular wedding style, 1 ninja turtle. No joke. And little hotdogs at the reception, the groom demanded little hotdogs.

Dr.Robert

Postby Dr.Robert » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:33 am UTC

I regularly consume alcohol and frequently smoke pot. I manage pretty well in college, though. Get good grades and stuff.

On the harder stuff, i've taken pills and I've done cocaine a few times, but it was really bad coke. I've done mushrooms a couple of times, salvia a bunch, and acid 3 times. I'd say that out of every drug I have consumed, acid is most definitely my favorite. Especially if you take it with a friend and run around in the forest all day (i live in santa cruz so it's a prime spot to drop the stuff). Some of my greatest and most memorable experiences have been under the influence of lsd. However, it can be dangerous to the mind if taken in a bad environment, so I always prepare beforehand.

if anyone is interested in reading up on all of the drugs, check out erowid.com. It's a fascinating site.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

I started drinking at 12, and then stopped at 16 after nearly dieing.
Consequently this was also when I stopped being able to take painkillers too...
It was also that night that I just about picked up smoking...

Because I realized that I had an alcohol problem then I refused to get into anything that I could be addicted to. Much to the point of even avoiding caffeine where possible.

I have no problems for others consuming drugs. I've helped friends who were getting off of meth, I've worked with psychotic cocaine addicts, I know where to send people that are looking for stuff, and I honestly like the smell of pot (from first being introduced to it at the age of 10). I see nothing wrong with legalizing and taxing recreational drugs in order to regulate them. If there wasn't such a chance for me to be trapped in the world of addiction, the lure of escaping here sometimes would be more something that I'd be willing to give a chance.

Lately I've started drinking a bit here and there, and amazingly it doesn't make me wretch anymore (well tequila still does...). I refuse more than one drink though just because after a couple drinks my judgment slips into oblivion and I end up doing some pretty self destructive things... One drink just makes me slutty enough to be stupid and want to sleep with everyone :(
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Bobthemonkey

Postby Bobthemonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

I never plan to take drugs because I do not like being out of control and I cannot stand any kind of addiction.
I also found out I have an allergy to alcohol. I was up for communion, and the little teeny cups had real alcohol this time. I drank one cup and I had a horrible headache and was throwing up the rest of the day. So, I will never be able to drink alcohol or get drunk in my life, ever.

In some ways it kinda sucks, but in others I am grateful for it.

-Bob
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
I am really a rocket scientist
Spoiler:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

Close friends wedding was this last weekend, took week off, spent two days with other close highschool buddies. Drank enormous quantities of whiskey, they smoked copious quantities of weed, and we all railed train track thick lines of sweet, sweet blow, until the night spun and laughs flowed and there we were in the middle of the goddamn desert of Hollywood.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:14 am UTC

I started on cigarettes and alcohol when I was eleven, quit cigarettes when I was thirteen and switched to pot. I pretty much stuck with that until I was fifteen. I pretty much didn't come down the entire year. Since a little before my fifteenth birthday I've taken shrooms, E, vicodin, other random prescription drugs, probably coke(I was so smashed I can't quite remember but considering the guy I slept with that night it's pretty likely), possibly pot laced with angel dust, and a lot of other things I don't remember and can never verify. What really sticks out that year is heroin. I tried it a month after my fifteenth birthday and loved it. I took it sporadically enough that the high didn't get much worse over time and I can definitely say that it gave me the most amazing high of my life. Though by sporadically I mean sometimes at a two month interval and sometimes three days in a row. Luckily my source dried up around the same time I decided to quit but even so, quitting is one of the hardest things I've ever done. And I know for a fact that if I EVER shoot up again I'll turn into a junkie. No question. I did'nt put currently addicted because I quit but I'm pretty close.
I haven't done anything for the past few months because I've been on a variety of new medications and need to learn my new limits.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:48 am UTC

First of all, I'm 20, and didn't even drink until I was almost 19. I considered pot completely out of the question up until the first time I did it out of curiosity (I wasn't at all pressured into it, but it was available, so I tried it).

I smoke pot fairly regularly and plan on continuing that trend. I don't like smoking too much because I get kind of numb to it (I was high for the past 5 nights and it stopped being nearly as fun), so I plan on limiting it to once or twice a week, max. Sometimes I drink when I smoke, usually I just hang out with friends and listen to music. Once I had a full-blown trip while smoking, not sure if it was the atmosphere or if it was spiked or what, but my vision fragmented into crystals, I stopped comprehending language and reality, didn't understand why people did or cared about anything, considered existence terrifyingly absurd on every level, and felt like I was stuck in stasis in a four-dimensional sculpture. I haven't had an experience like that on pot since, but I felt similar feelings (albeit much more positively) on shrooms and salvia.

I took Ambien legally for insomnia, but still had a lot of fun tripping on it. First time I took it, I felt like I split into two separate people, so instead of just me there was myself and a laughing woman standing just outside my vision, and I was somehow both of them simultaneously. When I finally went to sleep I felt myself split apart into a thousand tiny stars and float around my bed. Not sure if this counts since it was taken legally for medical purposes.

I've smoked salvia once, mixed with a very small amount pot, and had a very strong trip (transported to a cartoon land with talking refrigerators and singing birds) that peaked for about 15 minutes, and took an hour and a half to completely cool down.

A few months ago I did shrooms for the first time, half an eighth of a very potent strain, temporarily forgot absolutely everything (I was still intelligible, and reportedly fairly normal, but I had no idea what the words I was saying meant) and spent a few hours relearning what it meant to be human. It was a bit frightening at times, but coming down from it was the most refreshing feeling of my life, and the positive effects of the experience are still lingering. Also, now whenever I smoke I get mild closed-eye hallucinations of colors, fractals, and shifting tiled patterns.

I plan on doing shrooms again sometime this summer, and after that (when I think I'm ready) mescaline and LSD. I don't plan on ever recreationally taking a drug that is addicting, possible to OD on, or that is known to cause long-lasting negative effects. From what I've read, psychedelics (and marijuana) don't pose any medical dangers and are much safer to (with proper precautions, sitters if necessary, etc) than alcohol. I don't like even referring to pot, shrooms, etc. as drugs since there's a world of difference between them and their effects and something like alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, or cocaine.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:08 am UTC

I have learned quite a bit about myself through the usage of drugs (as defined by the OP), and I think knowing yourself is very important. Especially influential were/are pot and mushrooms. I wouldn't be the person that I am right now (something I'm proud of) without those experiences. It's so hard and time-consuming to explain exactly how drugs have changed me for the better, so I'll just leave it at that.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:17 am UTC

I've always been sort of viewed as the "pure" kid in my grade that's never done anything. It's not even for a lack of wanting to, I've just never been in a situation where it's likely to happen. I'm 16 and just tried alcohol and pot on Saturday at a friend's party for the first time each, simultaneously (didn't quite intend for it to go as such, but it just sort of happened) and I enjoyed it immensely.

Because I've never done either before, while I was drunk/high I couldn't tell what was doing what, but the day afterward I was pretty surprised that I remembered a lot of what happened and could figure out when I came down from the pot (I was still drinking). I found that the alcohol/pot didn't affect what decision I took, just how I went about the task. Kind of neat really. I'll hopefully be doing it again tomorrow (Canada Day) as apparently it's a pretty big day for such activities.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:34 am UTC

philsov wrote:
... never had a chance to mess with lsd though I'm leery about that one anyways) ...

^^^ I see what you did there.

Binks

Postby Binks » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 am UTC

I haven't, and wouldn't... but my friend told me I'm a major stick in the mud, and I want to make her happy and oh god damn it I'm succumbing to peer-pressure.

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:54 am UTC

I voted for "I have never taken drugs and I never intend to", but that isn't completely true.
"I have never taken drugs but I will when they become better".
Todays recreational drugs may give some positive effects, sure, but not those I want. I'm waiting for the smart drugs that makes you think much better. Those who exist today usually only work for a small subset (larger when considering the strong placebo effect). And they are often damaging to your body in a way that I'd rather skip.

I apply the same rules to alcohol: it doesn't give me the effect I want and it is unhealthy (so I don't use it), but I'm not against wanting to make your body better. I dislike the Temperance movement (even thought I have no problems disparaging people using alcohol).

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:15 am UTC

Hrm, that's an interesting idea actually. How many people would take drugs if the only effect was to make you feel really good with no crash and no negative health effects? It would be like being on heroine or MDMA with out any crash afterward and no ill effects to your mind, even eliminating physical dependence on the drug. Would people still have problems with it?
Oh. Well that's alright then.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:03 am UTC

I don't think it's so much a dislike of drugs themselves as it is a dislike of "drugs," meaning "substances the government says are bad and spreads propaganda about." I imagine a risk- and crash-free Ecstasy would carry about as much of a stigma as current legal medically prescribed anti-anxiety/depression drugs, which aren't opposed as physically unhealthy, but more as a crutch or sign of weakness (which is a terribly ignorant position, but common nonetheless).

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with such a drug in moderation, but then again I don't have a problem with Ecstasy use in moderation anyway. The only problem is that lack of physical dependence doesn't mean lack of psychological dependence, and I imagine a drug like Ecstasy used too frequently could easily cause that sort of dependence.

nodes

Postby nodes » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Never touched anything in high school out of fear (of authoritative retribution and potential ill-effects as I used to be very anxiety prone). Then one day when I was 18 I decided I wanted to smoke weed because I wanted the experience and I didn't want to be afraid anymore. Boyfriend (an occasional user) had a friend roll us up a blunt and we walked into the woods on a perfect summer day...it was the first perfect first time. Pot perfection.

In the two years since then...I'll pretty much smoke it whenever it's around. We bought a vaporizer so we can enjoy the high without having to smoke, in bed with a snack and some Discovery Channel. It's great. I enjoy being high very much, but I also don't miss it when I'm not.

Alcohol is...meh. I like it for the novelty of drinking with a bunch of friends, but I find it takes more energy to be drunk than it does to be high.

I wouldn't try anything else except for mushrooms, which I am moderately considering doing, but I apparently didn't learn the pot lesson and I'm very nervous about it. Mainly because I hate throwing up, and that tends to happen with shrooms.

I'm still kind of a pussy, I'm just a pussy who likes pot!

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

eekmeep wrote:
philsov wrote:
... never had a chance to mess with lsd though I'm leery about that one anyways) ...

^^^ I see what you did there.

My cheese is burning; that wasn't intentional.

Are you mckenna fun of me?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

nodes wrote:Mainly because I hate throwing up, and that tends to happen with shrooms.
I have the weakest stomach of anyone I know, and I didn't get anything more than mild nausea for about 5 minutes.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

^^Exactly what Rando said, seconded.

Out of six of us that took shrooms at once, one guy threw up for a minute and then was fine the rest of the night. Actually he fared better than the rest of the guys who took his same dose and didn't puke.

Your body knows what to do!
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Ninjew

Postby Ninjew » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

While I've never done any drugs, I've been around many pot smokers and the like. If I were given some brownies and a free weekend, I'd go for it, but I won't smoke anything. I've always been a bit curious about pot, but never willing to smoke, so brownies or some kind of food would be my best bet.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Ninjew wrote:but I won't smoke anything.

Why not, out of curiosity?
---

(he/him/his)

Return to “General”