YouTube off?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PapaNachos

YouTube off?

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 am UTC

My college dorm is in a contest to get the most views on a video within a few days and I'm wondering if anyone knows any methods of spreading something quickly online.

So far we're using Facebook, various forums, and we have someone braving the depths of 4chan.

Does anyone know of any other methods that might get results?

I would post a link, but I was reading the forum rules and decided against it.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Re: YouTube off?

Postby Bobber » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 am UTC

PapaNachos wrote:I would post a link, but I was reading the forum rules and decided against it.
Good boy.

I would recommend trying word of mouth. You could also print stickers with a tinyurl-URL and stick them different places in public - people love mysterious URLs. If you have any kind of blog or Twitter following, then it seems like an obvious place as well.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:07 am UTC

Second the random stickers/sticky notes; people won't be able to resist their curiosity.

Actually, I'd suggest using tiny-url for every context. Although rickrolling has decreased in recent months, people are still wary of random youtube links.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

PapaNachos

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:09 am UTC

Good call with the tiny-url. Come tomorrow we're going to plaster this thing all over our campus.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:43 am UTC

So people are more wary of youtube links, which could be any pretty tame video, than they are of a tinyurl which could be almost any website at all?
Try handing out leaflets, business cards, posters etc.
Put your face to that url!
Ⓞⓞ◯

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:56 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:So people are more wary of youtube links, which could be any pretty tame video, than they are of a tinyurl which could be almost any website at all?
OK, I may have exaggerated slightly.

I may just be paranoid.
Spoiler:
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:43 am UTC

PapaNachos wrote:Good call with the tiny-url. Come tomorrow we're going to plaster this thing all over our campus.
Take a walk through the campus and take note of where you naturally look. Place stickers there.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 am UTC

PapaNachos wrote:I would post a link, but I was reading the forum rules and decided against it.
That's . . . impressive. Anyway, you've got all online bases covered. Randomly spreading the word with fliers/stickies has already been mentioned. Really, I can't think of anything else that isn't along the lines of getting it on television somehow or builds off of what you've already done (e.g. have a bunch of friends post the link as their Facebook status). Is the video any good? Repeat viewers are important, not to mention word-of-mouth from Internet strangers who tell more Internet strangers. The catch is that they only tell more people if they like it first.

Off topic: Is PapaNachos a popular username? It gives me déjà vu.
多么现在棕色母牛?

PapaNachos

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

Given the time frame we had to make this, combined with the fact that none of us have any real editing experience, I would say our video was good. However, the other team's makes ours look like a work of art.

Anyway, our real problem is that we didn't have much time prepare and don't have permission to post in the most popular places (though we're doing our best to deal with that problem). This whole thing was very short notice and ends Saturday at midnight.

As far as my name goes: Odds are, if you've seen my name being used, its probably me.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

Well... you do have five posts. Also, I'm kind of curious to see what the video is. Therefore, post the link.
Spoiler:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

You never know, if we like it we might pass it on. :)
Ⓞⓞ◯

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Go to various forums and ask for advice on spreading something quickly online but don't post a link right away. Let a few people give their advice (which you will use, of course). Then, after you get 5 to 10 posts, as you have piqued their interest with your mysterious video, they will ask you to post it. At that point, all you have to do is grant their wish. Lather, rinse, repeat; the internet shall be yours to command. :D
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

PapaNachos

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

Alright, here goes...

Like I said, we only had a few hours to make this and most of that was figuring out how to make the editing program work.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

PapaNachos wrote:Alright, here goes...

Like I said, we only had a few hours to make this and most of that was figuring out how to make the editing program work.
I am... intrigued. I'm also curious now to see the opposition's video, but I suppose that would be counterproductive.

EDIT: I get it! Rock lobster, right?
Spoiler:

PapaNachos

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

I asked the person who came up with the idea (The one typing) and he said it was a cross between Magnet Lobster/Rock Lobster and 4Chans teleporting lobster.

Anyway, for some reason our views are stuck at 325. Does anyone know of anything that might cause that?

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Damn!

I am so intrigued by this mystery video now!
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (16.24 KiB) Viewed 2407 times

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

PapaNachos

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Not sure what happened there, we think someone flagged it because they thought it would be funny. Anyway, we're resubmitting it and should have a new one up soon. Fortunately we haven't made any fliers yet.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

PapaNachos wrote:Not sure what happened there, we think someone flagged it because they thought it would be funny.
The opposition maybe?
多么现在棕色母牛?

PapaNachos

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

Possibly, though that would be a jerk move. Our current theory is that one of the people on 4Chan did it and it was taken down because one of our members decided to spam the tags with completely irrelevant stuff.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

PapaNachos wrote:Possibly, though that would be a jerk move. Our current theory is that one of the people on 4Chan did it and it was taken down because one of our members decided to spam the tags with completely irrelevant stuff.
The morale: Don't try to promote your video by posting it on 4chan :D

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:14 am UTC

PapaNachos wrote:Possibly, though that would be a jerk move.
Sure as hell doesn't mean they didn't do it. This is one of the most annoying parts of Youtube, when your video is just removed with no explanation. >8^(

Would it be cheating to set your avatar to the video page URL? Unless Youtube has something in place to prevent that, every view would count as a hit (and you'd just have a "broken image" icon for an avatar when the browser realizes it's not an image).
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Return to “General”