xkcd sightings in your hometown (and other places)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Re: xkcd sightings in your hometown (and other places)

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

I spotted someone wearing the Regular Expressions shirt on their way to Central Station in Brisbane this evening. /angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:51 am UTC

I saw the Punnett Squares comic outside a biology classroom's door the other day.

Unfortunately, my shirts haven't been recognized yet. A few people thought Sudo was funny, but nobody directly related it to the comic.

On a side note, I met one of the guys who wrote the AIX operating system for IBM in an airport via my Sudo shirt. I think I may have propagated xkcd to a bunch of old-timer coders at IBM.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:16 am UTC

hmmm, this is back? Well, I spotted someone wearing a "witty" t-shirt in the melbourne CBD this week, or maybe last week...

I also had a chat about a month ago with a girl called molly who recognised my "science! it works, bitches" t-shirt.

At most parties I go to, someone recognises my xkcd shirt if that's what I'm wearing, although that probably says more about my type of parties than Melbourne.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

kaotik4266

Postby kaotik4266 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 am UTC

Not xkcd as such, but amusing in context is today's Swamp cartoon (yes, my local newspaper is apparently 7 months behind in its syndication)

http://swamp.com.au/cartoons.php?c=8642

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:45 am UTC

We had a physics day, where schools from all around the state went to Adventure World (theme park, lots of rides... not so great the day we went) to complete a booklet on physics. While we were walking up to one of the rides, I saw a teacher from one of the other schools wearing the 'Stand back, I'm going to try science' shirts. I wish my teachers were that awesome :(
(Also, no one else in my class got it when I tried to explain it to them. Damn.)
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:51 am UTC

I was eating lunch in the cafeteria sometime in October and I saw a dude with a "No raptors" shirt. He sat a few tables away from me.

*creep of the week*

rubberglove

9/11 was a controlled demoltion!1!!!1

Postby rubberglove » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

sorry for the crappy camera phone shot -- it was dark!

breintje

Postby breintje » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

I saw one of the guys in my university martial arts club wearing a "no-raptors" T-shirt. My Stand back! shirt was recognized by most of the guys there as well. Most of the xkcd-readers appear to be in mechanical engineering though, like me.
Breintje

GrantSolar

Postby GrantSolar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

One of my friends has a Linux Cheat Shirt and walked into a maths lesson to be confronted by questions somewhere along the lines of 135

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/295/

Much like this, the board in a few of our classrooms now reads XKCD.com and hasn't been erased in the past 3 months. I'm hoping it'll make it all year.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

GrantSolar

Postby GrantSolar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

I left 'xkcd.com/669' on a desk in our physics lab at HSFC. If anyone here sees it, hello!

BlazeOrangeDeer

Postby BlazeOrangeDeer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:56 am UTC

There is one outside of a social studies class at my school, the lincoln-douglas one. I have also seen the chessboard-rollercoaster and the other chess one somewhere (that's not even a legal move!)

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

Met one of my sister's friends at UWA today; he was wearing the 'Stand back, I'm going to try science' shirt. I never get to meet people who have even heard of xkcd, so it was a bit of an event.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 am UTC

Today I got sighted. Sheol and I were walking down Lonsdale St and a bloke saw my No Raptors shirt and said he had one too. He thought he was the only one. So I said I knew there were a few xkcd fiends in Melbourne because some post on the fora. So he said he might check it out. So, bloke from Lonsdale St, if you come and check us out, Hi :)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:25 am UTC

Walked past a bloke yesterday who was wearing "Stand back, I'm going to try science." Would have given him a thumbs-up, but he was deep in conversation with another bloke.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 am UTC

rubber314chicken wrote:http://xkcd.com/295/

Much like this, the board in a few of our classrooms now reads XKCD.com and hasn't been erased in the past 3 months. I'm hoping it'll make it all year.

I wrote "xkcd.com DNE" on a board a few weeks ago, and my friend (who I had already known to read xkcd) independently wrote the same thing on the same board a few days later (mine was in the corner behind a board). Also one desk in my school used to have about three different xkcd comics on it. I don't actually have a class in that room so I don't really know much more about that.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

I'm self-pimping a bit here, but I was filmed for a local news channel a while back while wearing my "Stand Back, I'm Going to Try Science" shirt. It was for a local tragedy that I happened to get some footage of last year, and they replayed a short clip when another show came to town.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:11 am UTC

At my workplace, one of the training courses has "Correlation" on the front cover of its notes. And another one uses "Compiling". (The courses were designed by different people, but in the same section.)
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

It was a mutual sighting...
Last June I was at the Health Physics Conference in Minnesota running a booth for our uni and to get more traffic I had printed up a "riddle of the day" with a corresponding xkcd comic.

One person knew it...one in about 1000 scientists...
To be fair the average age there was about 60.
/s/

Raoul Duke

Postby Raoul Duke » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

Last semester my physics teacher used the 'pushing back the dawn' comic as well as a Calvin and Hobbes comic in his powerpoint for an angular momentum lecture. I also noticed 'Purity' posted on a math teacher's office door, which garnered a fair amount of positive remarks from my fellow math students.

I get comments or at the very least looks (both positive and negative) a decent amount of the time when I wear my 'science, it works bitches' shirt, but most of the negative comments are usually aimed more at the latter part of the phrase rather than the former, which is encouraging.

jacog

xkcd reference on IrregularWebcomic

Postby jacog » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 am UTC

Title text: This comic is funny, but the humour cannot be explained within it.

Pilfered from: http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/2635.html
Last edited by jacog on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine

Re: xkcd reference on IrregularWebcomic

Postby Josephine » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

huh, nice. I think it would be helpful to format it like in the IC forum. No need to change the title. Put the annotation there like alt-text.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Someone wrote http://xkcd.com/55/ with permanent marker on the door of the male bathroom stall on the second floor of the E wing of the faculty of social and behavioral sciences of the University of Amsterdam. Lots of fans over there.

Litof

Postby Litof » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

One teacher I knew had a comic hanging in her classroom (for the life of me, I can't recall which). No one, other than my good friend, has ever taken notice of my 'Stand back, I'm going to try science!" shirt; it's not too popular at my school, if you can tell.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:47 am UTC

some days ago, I drew Black Hat Guy with the words "sudo make me a sandwich" in my university's bathroom wall. Today I noticed next to it it said "born to run unix"....I didn't think anyone would know the comic.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

SamuelDeuter

Postby SamuelDeuter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 am UTC

XKCD Shirt on The Colbert Report.

Spoiler:

here is the episode

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episo ... -dap-kings

Spoiled for hugeness. -Hodge.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

I can't post in this thread anymore, or I'll never stop. My world is now infested with xkcd-shirt-wearers. It's kind of awesome :P

There's now a colleague in my office with the sandwich shirt, I passed a student wearing it on the stairs (whilst wearing my own, and his mate said we were both freaks), and there are at least three blokes from SciEng who wear I'm Going To Try Science in the caf.

So I give up. They're not sightings anymore when they're the scenery :)

davieb

XKCD T-shirt on Colbert Report

Postby davieb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm UTC

Monday's Colbert Report featured a story about "Purdue University Senior, Jennifer McCreight," who is organizing a "boobquake." She is asking all women to dress more provocatively to prove an Iranian cleric wrong, that immodestly dressed women don't cause earthquakes.

Colbert held up a copy of the New York Post, which featured a photograph of Jennifer wearing a "Stand Back...I'm going to try Science" T-shirt.

It's the 4/26/2010 episode at about 2:40.

Mallich

Re: XKCD T-shirt on Colbert Report

Postby Mallich » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

For those of you who want to read her response, it's over here. Seems like the event meant a fair bit to her.
I'm in the wrong country to actually watch the video though.... *grumble grumble*.

sje46

Re: XKCD T-shirt on Colbert Report

Postby sje46 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

Clearly we're famous.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

deliafcipe

Skittles (indirectly) recognizes XKCD!

Postby deliafcipe » Fri May 14, 2010 3:12 am UTC

I found this little ad on the side of Facebook today and it made me chuckle. I hope y'all appreciate it, too.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri May 14, 2010 5:31 am UTC

Internet sighting - The title of this blog post by George R.R. Martin was inspired by xkcd.

stardragon

Postby stardragon » Sat May 15, 2010 3:34 am UTC

Secateurs wrote:We had a physics day, where schools from all around the state went to Adventure World (theme park, lots of rides... not so great the day we went) to complete a booklet on physics. While we were walking up to one of the rides, I saw a teacher from one of the other schools wearing the 'Stand back, I'm going to try science' shirts. I wish my teachers were that awesome :(
(Also, no one else in my class got it when I tried to explain it to them. Damn.)

Would that happen to be western Australia?

redearth1210

Re:

Postby redearth1210 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:26 am UTC

mqarcus wrote:
Akira wrote:T_T nobody here is intelligent enough to understand xkcd, much less think to promote it. I had someone stare at my printout of the bianary sudoku one, and they're like... "I don't get it."

T_T It made me cry.

Aww, that actually made me feel sorry for you.

Noone here is intelligent enough either, and I've not seen a single xkcd manifestation.

No one here get's the jokes either.

Actually no one here even gets the spherical chicken joke, let alone XKCD.

Actually no one here even gets the joke where the mathematician says, "Now if one more person enters the house it will be empty again."

Well. Two teachers get it, but I want to meet some more teenagers that get it!

We should take it into our hands, and educate the masses!

Why did I double space this post?

JayAr

Postby JayAr » Mon May 17, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Around the internet
Spoiler:

Interesting...
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Thu May 20, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

I made a status update on facebook and someone said "He's being existential again, don't worry, I have a supersoaker."
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

MCMXCI

Postby MCMXCI » Mon May 24, 2010 7:31 am UTC

My Bio professor last semester used to put xkcd comics at the beginning of every exam. Also, a guy in my Physics class this semester would load up xkcd on the professor's screen every class since we had class Mon, Wed, Fri.

tundraazul

Postby tundraazul » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

I am Robert Bakker (possible raptor sympathizer)'s neighbor. Hes an awesome guy, makes a lot of boob jokes, and thinks that that comic was funny (I took it upon myself to show it to him).

faw

Postby faw » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:10 am UTC

There's a mock xkcd on intelink (classified gov. internet) called xkic that makes fun of the more then deserving intel community.

AtomLamp

Postby AtomLamp » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:44 am UTC

I met this guy at the San Diego Comic Con 2010, with a "[Citations Needed]" sign, I didn't recognize it at first, but we had an extremely short chat outside of the bathrooms while I was waiting for my friends and he was waiting for, I'm assuming his little sisters >.>... Anyways, I haven't been able to read the xkcd comics without thinking of him, so this post is partly me trying to reach out to him xD, my life is so trivial. I'm not trying to turn this into a craigslist missed connections post >> but it looks like at it's core, that's what this is; sorry for that, xkcd. We didn't exchange names or anything so... this is just totally out there xD If you read this, I'd be extremely surprised, and overjoyed if you'd respond too. :'D Oh, I was that chick with the mask if the chat outside of the bathrooms didn't ring a bell... Also, I had a sign which said "The Game" ... Alright... Post over... Now. :D

Return to “General”