Back to the Future

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shoofle

Back to the Future

Postby Shoofle » Mon May 15, 2006 4:32 am UTC

Technically I have seen that movie, but only technically.

Also, paradoxes: The only way that there would be a need for a time machine is if another time machine exists or if the time machine in going back in time causes things to be messed up.

Is going forward in time really fundamentally different than going back? I mean, if the universe is deterministic on the lowest level (one which we cannot see) then it might be in theory.

Also, the going back in time using a massive source of gravity is interesting, because essentially it's just providing another path to get from one point (X,Y,Z,T) to another point (X2,Y2,Z2,T2) without going on the straightest path from T to T2. How does that work? Maybe I am just babbling. If you like what you hear, read on!

QUASI-CHRONO-TACHYAL BOSONS ON THE UPPER THETA-PHI BAND!

Anyone heard any better technobabble, ever?

James

Postby James » Mon May 15, 2006 5:38 am UTC

You should ask John Titor about this.

Also, stay the mainsheets.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

sveinhal

Re: Back to the Future

Postby sveinhal » Tue May 16, 2006 8:35 am UTC

Shoofle wrote:Is going forward in time really fundamentally different than going back? I mean, if the universe is deterministic on the lowest level (one which we cannot see) then it might be in theory.

My computer actually is one of those time machines that can only travel forward in time. I'm not sure how to operate it, but if I sit down sometime around t1 with the intention to check my inbox, then all of a sudden it's t2 (> t1 + 4h) already! I could swear that I didn't sit there for four hours. Still, everything suggest that I'm already at least four hours into the future; the clocks, the fact that I'm hungry, the light (or lack of) outside my window.

I allways thought it would be cool to travel in time, but so far I've only been able to travel a few hours ahead. And since I can't go back, I don't really like it. In reality I've just lost time.

Svein Halvor

davean
Site Ninja

Re: Back to the Future

Postby davean » Wed May 17, 2006 1:05 pm UTC

sveinhal wrote:
Shoofle wrote:Is going forward in time really fundamentally different than going back? I mean, if the universe is deterministic on the lowest level (one which we cannot see) then it might be in theory.

My computer actually is one of those time machines that can only travel forward in time. I'm not sure how to operate it, but if I sit down sometime around t1 with the intention to check my inbox, then all of a sudden it's t2 (> t1 + 4h) already! I could swear that I didn't sit there for four hours. Still, everything suggest that I'm already at least four hours into the future; the clocks, the fact that I'm hungry, the light (or lack of) outside my window.

I allways thought it would be cool to travel in time, but so far I've only been able to travel a few hours ahead. And since I can't go back, I don't really like it. In reality I've just lost time.

Svein Halvor

You jsut need to go forward enoguh that you wrap around and start living from the beginning again.

Fluidfox
Protector of the Null Set

Postby Fluidfox » Wed May 17, 2006 6:33 pm UTC

I'd get into so much trouble with a time machine......

Either that, or I'd just spend large amounts of time betting on things I knew the outcome of, then buying gold with the winnings, then going back with the gold to set up trust funds for myself that I wouldn't become aware of until a determined date.

How nice would that be... living your crappy time-machine-less life, then somebody knocks on your door and informs you that you're disgustingly rich out of the blue. And you're handed an envelope detailing everything you need to do it make sure your present life doesn't cease to exist because you've failed to go back in time to make yourself disgustingly rich. I'd probably drop the ball and just blow it all on something else though... (and shortly thereafter vanish in a puff of logic)

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:06 am UTC

Not bumping, just testing a theory about issues the forum is having with performance.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:07 am UTC

James wrote:You should ask John Titor about this.

Also, stay the mainsheets.

Man, I love Titor. I still wonder what the point was, and then I wonder how cynical I'm getting when I think everything has to be about something, rather than just mindless chaotic joy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:58 am UTC

The biggest problem with time travel is that as well as travelling through time you would have to travel through space because every second the planet is rotating, revolving around the sun, and moving away from the point of origin.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Return to “General”