I love the mods here!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SJ Zero

Re: I love the mods here!

Postby SJ Zero » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

I'd say the mods are on the borderline in my eyes. "Disappearing" a politically incorrect but otherwise apparently rule-following thread without notice or explaination is dangerous business.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Halp! We're being oppressed!
Have you given up?

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:I'd say the mods are on the borderline in my eyes. "Disappearing" a politically incorrect but otherwise apparently rule-following thread without notice or explaination is dangerous business.
You know why that is - the mods are all Masons. Or lizards. Or at least some of them are. Not the ones with hats though.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

Not yet, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" is so true it's cliche. It's the same in internet forums as it is in governments.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:I'd say the mods are on the borderline in my eyes. "Disappearing" a politically incorrect but otherwise apparently rule-following thread without notice or explaination is dangerous business.

SecondTalon wrote:As near as I can figure, within a new user's first few hundred posts, they either fit in nicely, or start ranting and raving about free speech and how they should be allowed to say whatever they want wherever they want
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:Not yet, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" is so true it's cliche. It's the same in internet forums as it is in governments.

Scept freedom of speech doesn't apply on internet forums. Private property and all.

Edit: And Belial ninja's me with a much better response.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:Not yet.

Erm, no. No it's not. Consider this as a somewhat (very) open private members' club. This club (this forum) can choose to set any rules it wants, including . You may not like it, but you can just log off. To compare it to a government is rather facetious.

EDIT: I've been twice ninja'd, but I'm sticking this in anyway.
Last edited by RealGrouchy on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing word "censorship" for ironic comedy.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Besides, you're assuming I disappeared it because it was politically incorrect* and not because of the inherent pointless wankery of starting a thread on our forum about how you Oh me yarm SICK BURNED some guy on another forum.

*and between the telling someone you don't care that his mom died, and the use of gay as a pejorative, I might have anyway.

They/them

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Besides, you're assuming I disappeared it because it was politically incorrect* and not because of the inherent pointless wankery of starting a thread on our forum about how you Oh me yarm SICK BURNED some guy on another forum.

*and between the telling someone you don't care that his mom died, and the use of gay as a pejorative, I might have anyway.
But if he doesn't, how will we know how big his penis is?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

It's alright, gay people are inherently inferior to heterosexual people.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

I'm sure there are a couple fetish sites devoted to people with the micro-penis condition. He can show us there.

Note, that Wikipediaing that is prob'ly NSFW, NSFS, NSFH, and NSFYB. (Work, School, Home and your brain)
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

"Disappearing" a politically incorrect but otherwise apparently rule-following thread without notice or explaination is dangerous serious business.
Them's sound like fightin' words.

It was probably removed to stop a pointless argument that you've now managed to bring to another thread anyway.. Huray!
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

I have to ask, who the hell was JimBastard and what's with the cartnal children thing, can someone explain a bit more.
Last edited by Cryopyre on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Well, JimBastard was a bastard, and "carnal kids" refers to pedophiles (if you're looking to get banned, mention that you're a pedophile).

My guess would be that you can find JimBastard with a search or in the members listing.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:I have to ask, who the hell was JimBastard and what's with the cartnal children thing, can someone explain bit more.

JimBastard was a guy who, if I'm remembering correctly, filmed himself and his girlfriend (I don't recall if it was with her knowledge) engaged in certain acts, and released it to the internet when the relationship ended - which is a pretty shitty thing to do. He proceeded to brag about it here, got banned for it, and then either had himself or used some cronies to engage in a bizarre campaign to get reinstated or.. something. Some of it was people out of the blue appearing and within their first or second post, making references to JimBastard. I think pretty much everyone involved in that was banned.

The children thing was just some guy who mentioned in a few places how he had a sexual attraction to prepubescent children. Don't recall the details beyond that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

I do remember the Jimbastard reinstatement campaign. Really, I though it was just him making a bunch of new accounts.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Wow, JimBastard sounds like a bastard, and the other thing is just bad. :shock:
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Noc

Postby Noc » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

I think something a lot of people also don't grasp when they complain about apparently draconian moderating practices ("No double posting? What's the big deal?") is the idea of "signal to noise." As in, the number of posts in a given thread that are worth reading compared to the number contain nothing but "QFT," an image macro, or a meme response.

Compare Rock Paper Shotgun's comments threads to Kotaku's to see what I mean.

Rock Paper Shotgun's comment threads are, for the curious, heavily and invisibly moderated; they're kept pretty clean of the usual comment-thread gunk, but interestingly, still contain plenty of dissenting opinions. The dissenters sometimes outnumber the people who agree with the article's content; You get plenty of articles on games that the writer thought were pretty good, and comments threads filled with people who loathed the game. But the moderating just helps keep them clean of noise, which makes them worth reading and commenting in.

Kotaku's are not so heavily patrolled, and have a weak enough signal that I almost never bother reading through them unless someone somewhere else links to a particularly notable comment.
[/twocents]
Have you given up?

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Well, if we're recounting the worst of the worst...

I remember there was some guy who was arguing with his own sockpuppet in some big long thread, then one of the mods (possibly Belial) noticed and said "You and you have the same IP address. Explain yourself. Now.", but that's all I remember. Someone help me out here?
All is well. We are not like the others.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:Well, if we're recounting the worst of the worst...

I remember there was some guy who was arguing with his own sockpuppet in some big long thread, then one of the mods (possibly Belial) noticed and said "You and you have the same IP address. Explain yourself. Now.", but that's all I remember. Someone help me out here?

If someone finds this thread, PLEASE PM it to me. I have to see this.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Man thread. Fightlikehell/CuriosityKills. Entrance. Smiting.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Ah! Thank you.
All is well. We are not like the others.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Man thread. Fightlikehell/CuriosityKills. Entrance. Smiting.
Hehe, this is pretty good. And only a little lot crazy.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Oh, and I forgot. After the smiting he makes a new account and, well, it was brief but hell of bizarre.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

That. Was. AMAZING.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

You almost got me in trouble for laughing during class Quix.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Oh, and I forgot. After the smiting he makes a new account and, well, it was brief but hell of bizarre.
Wow, ballsy. Stupid, but ballsy.

"I'm going to evade your IP ban and start my first post on my new, IP-ban-evading account by telling you that I'm evading your IP ban..."

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

A special child, was our sockpuppeteer.

I had forgotten about that whole thing.

Good times.

They/them

Noc

Postby Noc » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

Oh, man. I should totally make a pair of sock puppet accounts, and ridicule people in high-pitched voices.

And make gags about how the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

And use Mirrormask quotes in the 'sig.
Have you given up?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

Noc wrote:Oh, man. I should totally make a pair of sock puppet accounts, and ridicule people in high-pitched voices.

And make gags about how the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

There's a slight chance you'll encounter some resistance to that from the administration...

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

Belial: Can't buy booze, sry; if had booze, would most likely drink it all on the way to wherever you live, as am total lush. ...But I can bake some great cake! In fact, I baked a cake just last week. Damn, that was a long time ago. For one thing, I wasn't spouting mucus.

(Also, will be in Cambridge this evening which is like a hop, skip and a jump away from Boston. Small world.)

Man, I totally miss whenever someone's being crazy. You people deal with it too crazy fast.
I wrote it in a style I fondly refer to as "unabashedly fancy" - i.e., "Fuck Zen minimalism, I'm gonna use all of my favorite words and stack loads of complex syntax n' modifying phrases'n'clauses in this motherfucker, goddamn."

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

I guess this whole thing epitomises my own philosophy. Really, reading the responses, it's obvious to me that I probably crossed the line(Though I STILL think taking a generic joke and making it personal on a place where nobody knows anybody is intensely stupid), and that there's certain things that don't slide here culturally (the use of 'gay' as a generic derogative, for example). Disappearing a discussion via mod deus ex machina wouldn't have done that.

Freedom isn't some rule somewhere, it isn't some uprising waiting to happen, it's a very personal thing. A Christian is free to worship in a church, but an ancient Greek wouldn't find himself so free. If I find I don't feel free, it's my responsibility to change or leave, not everyone else's responsibility to cater to my sensibilities(and this is my attitude in general. I left the FreeBASIC community after I felt they were getting too critical of any critisism of the project's direction, rather than stay and become just another troll-apparent). I wouldn't have even said anything, but you have to admit, having this "The mods are KILLER and AWESOME!" thread next to the ghost of something you've written is a bit spooky, and you've gotta say SOMETHING unless I got some capital to attach a generator to Orwell's coffin.
Last edited by SJ Zero on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:06 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

If I find I don't feel free, it's my responsibility to change or leave

At least insofar as private forums go, pretty much. Good boy.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Noc wrote:Oh, man. I should totally make a pair of sock puppet accounts, and ridicule people in high-pitched voices.
There's a slight chance you'll encounter some resistance to that from the administration...

See the "...unless it's funny" clause.
SJ Zero wrote:I wouldn't have even said anything, but you have to admit, having this "The mods are KILLER and AWESOME!" thread next to the ghost of something you've written is a bit spooky, and you've gotta say SOMETHING unless I got some capital to attach a generator to Orwell's coffin.

When in doubt as to what just happened, PM a mod and ask "Uh.. wasn't there a thread here a minute ago?"
...thought Saladin would probably be a poor choice for that question.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:See the "...unless it's funny" clause.
That should probably be renamed "Unless a mod finds it funny"...
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
That should probably be renamed "Unless a mod finds it funny"...
Which is, of course, the definition of whether or not it is funny enough to blatantly break a rule.
Of course, where is my head today.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

You know, we really should have a "Belial is better than you" clause. It would make arguments about moderation a lot easier
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:You know, we really should have a "Belial is better than you" clause. It would make arguments about moderation a lot easier
Also a "If you are in a discussion and are arguing against Belial, you are clearly wrong" rule. Unless it's funny...
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Y'all need to read the terms of service.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Moo wrote:I made this aaaages ago, I think for the "guess the next poster" thread in forum games.

*Epic spit-take*

How have I not seen this before now?!

EDIT: wait... do I really want to be compared to Raymond?

Also, the mods here are pretty cool. And so you see I am on topic.
Last edited by Rodan on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”