Blood donation poll

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What is your current blood donor status?

Have not tried donating.
28%
Have donated, plan to again.
38%
Have donated, probably won't again.
4%
Cannot donate, agree with why.
11%
Cannot donate, think I should be allowed to.
13%
Otter/duck.
6%

Total votes: 244

btilly

Blood donation poll

Postby btilly » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:11 am UTC

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27578 made me curious what people's blood donor status was. Hence this poll.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

darwinwins

Re: Blood donation poll

Postby darwinwins » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:18 am UTC

can't donate. tattoos, lived in korea for a year, and baghdad for a better part of a year.

and i plan on another tattoo as soon as i'm in portland oregon.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Haven't donated yet as I only recently turned 16, I will be participating sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:26 am UTC

I plan on donating, but have not yet as I always find out about the "donation day" when it is too late to change my plans.

platypus01

Postby platypus01 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:48 am UTC

I donated once. It made me pretty weak for a couple weeks afterward. (and it was right before a FIRST competition too. hehe..wait no thats bad)

I still plan to donate again sometime.
bleh

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:58 am UTC

I'd planned to donate for most of my uni life... never got around to it...

But then I got dragged into it by a group of workmates, found out it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, and now I'm a regular. My fourth donation is in about a week's time, and I'm looking forward to it.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I plan to eventually, but it'd require some planning with my current lifestyle.

The past four years I spent running Cross Country, and my means of travel is a bicycle. I ride at least 10-15 miles a day depending on the day. That's just too much physical activity, I think, for it to be safe to donate blood right now.

I have no qualms with doing so though.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:25 am UTC

(ah, I'm vote #10, they're all nice even percentages. (3, 4,1,1,1 ,0))

Only donated once, and threw up and got light headed, but nothing too bad so I'll probably donate again at the next convenient opportunity)

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:42 am UTC

I can't for multiple reasons. Some I agree with, others I don't.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Oh great, I thought that was "other" instead of "otter". ::changes vote:: :?

In my case, every all three times I've tried to donate, I get rejected. First time, I had a stuffy nose and I was considered infected with a virus. The second time, I had a wound on my hand (injured on woodshop equipment) and was rejected... for reasons I didn't quite understand. Third time, I tested positive for some thing I'd never heard of before, freaked out, went to the doctor's later that day, and found the earlier test was a false positive.

So... yeah. I'mma try again this year when the bloodmobile rolls by again. Well, if nothing weird happens again. Unless... they're signs for me to avoid donating blood? Naw, that's silly...
...It made more sense in my head.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:13 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Oh great, I thought that was "other" instead of "otter". ::changes vote:: :?

Well, "otter" is the "other" option... it's a forum injoke.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Can't donate, don't agree with why.

Apparently I don't weigh enough, which seems fair enough because I'm pretty tiny, but what is totally NOT fair enough is that I went in to register to donate, and was told that I should come back "when I've gained weight" if I really wanted to help others. I was also told that they needed "healthy" people. By a very very rude lady, and in front of a room full of those waiting to donate.

I'm healthy. I play sport, eat well, all those things. I can understand that as a Small Person it might be unsafe for me to donate the same amount of blood as everyone else, but that isn't my fault and it doesn't mean I'm unhealthy and it doesn't mean I deserve to be humiliated.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:03 am UTC

I've donated 3 times. I plan on doing so again after my exams. I love it, because I get free milkshakes, teacake, Tim Tams, jellybeans, water, everything!
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:48 am UTC

I've donated about half a dozen times so far since I was 17. I wholeheartedly endorse it, particularly if your blood type is one of the more needed ones.

babyduo

Postby babyduo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:07 am UTC

There is also the option of donating blood plasma & platelets...
You go through a process called apheresis during which blood is drawn out of you, spun in a centrifuge, and then your rbc is returned to you along with some anti-coagulant. You have to facilitate the process by doing squeezing actions with your hand because unlike regular blood donation, blood outflow is not aided by gravity. It takes a bloody long time (~2 hours) but you can donate platelets every month or so. With full blood I believe the recommended rest period is about 3 months, because that's how long it takes your body to replenish your rbc.
You need to weigh at least 52kg to do this though, so tough luck to jess :cry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apheresis

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:17 am UTC

__jess wrote:I'm healthy. I play sport, eat well, all those things. I can understand that as a Small Person it might be unsafe for me to donate the same amount of blood as everyone else, but that isn't my fault and it doesn't mean I'm unhealthy and it doesn't mean I deserve to be humiliated.

Did she really say that? I've donated blood thrice (and been rejected for a too low iron level (HB) at least twice as much) but never, ever, have I been treated rudely. They've always been friendly and helpful. Even if my iron was indeed too low again for donation.

I'd consider going back and complain about the way she treated you. It's just... WRONG

anywho, I voted can't donate (anymore) and don't agree with why. In NL the rules for donating blood changed recently. Everyone who has received a blood donation after 1980 has been exposed to the risk of being infected by creutzfeldt-jakob disease. That wasn't a problem up until they changed the rules, since it had this minor chance of making someone more ill than before bla bla. Chances, as I say, were very small. I had received blood in 1994, which excluded me forever from blood donation.
Weirdly enough, now that I live in the UK, there is suddenly no problem anymore!

Am I the only one thinking they're making a mountain of a mole hole?

I don't find it particularly fun to do, I have a moderate to low HB level, and after donation I feel usually dizzy, weak and light-headed. It takes me three weeks to recover. But since my blood transfusion saved my life, I really like being a blood donor. To return the favour, if you will.
This too shall pass

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:26 am UTC

I've donated blood and will do again. I've had time off because of foreign travel and then tattoos and peircings but I can go back now-hurrah!
I've been refused before for low Hb :(

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 am UTC

Artemisia wrote:Did she really say that? I've donated blood thrice (and been rejected for a too low iron level (HB) at least twice as much) but never, ever, have I been treated rudely. They've always been friendly and helpful. Even if my iron was indeed too low again for donation.

I'd consider going back and complain about the way she treated you. It's just... WRONG

Mm, I was a bit upset, but I don't think I'll go back and complain. Those are the rules, and fair enough. I wish there was some way I could donate, but I can't. She was rude, but sometimes people are. Everyone has a few bad days, I just hope she's nicer to other people than she was to me. I look after myself, and I know that even if she doesn't.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Have before, not allowed to anymore, don't really have a problem with their reasons. My blood pressure is too low, and while I could convince them to let me through the first couple of times, that doesn't work anymore.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:01 am UTC

Nope. Because I am, in general, an asshole.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:35 am UTC

I'm going to donate for the first time on Monday with work.

I need to check the guidelines though as I have plans about getting tattoo'd this weekend.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

i donated when I could, I useualy get asked to do a double red thingy. I used to not realy care but recently they have ben giving out some realy cool shirts, one was "give" in a nice caligraphic font with a big red outline heart for the dot of the"i". Another was "donating blood it's not rocket science" with a bunch of equations and a rocket in the backround. I wouldent mind wering those shirts. I'll try to get pics. The prevous shirts were lame and kinda embarising.

Also blood goes bad, it's got like 45 days (I think) before it loses it good bloodlike propertys.

(I like to think there's somthing sinister about my blood, and now I'm spreading it throghout the world MUWAHAHA!!! (I'm an organ doner for the same reason))
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

There are a whole lot of reasons I can't donate, and some I don't care about (like the weight limit; I'm tiny and have always been) but the ones insinuating that I am probably riddled with diseases because of my sexuality piss me the heck off.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

I haven't, but I'd like to, except I pass out too easily.

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

I donated once at school, but then I passed out on the little chair thing so I hesitate to do it again.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

I've donated twice and plan to do it again.

I didn't feel a thing afterwards, so I'm a little surprised seeing how some of you had bad experiences...
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

Have not donated, and probably never will because I'm afraid of needles.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

I donate on a sporadic basis. I've been turned down a few times for iron levels, mostly in college when my diet was a little too heavy on cereal and grilled cheese sandwiches. It really doesn't affect me much either- I feel a little bit drained afterward but by evening I'm feeling back to normal and have never had to hold back on doing things from it. (Overheard from a sorority girl: "I can't wait to go drinking tonight. You know that it doesn't take as much alcohol to get you drunk after you give blood!")
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:09 am UTC

I need all my blood.
Actually, I hate needles, and I'm not sure that I'd be allowed to donate anyway for various reasons (family history, childhood health problems, lack of a gall bladder etc.)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:13 am UTC

I've never heard of people fainting when donating
I'm 6feet and 185lb and I've always felt fine, what are the "specs" of those of you that have fainted?

Dingbats wrote:Have not donated, and probably never will because I'm afraid of needles.

its time to grow up. you shouldn't not donate because of fear. have you seen the videos of the kids that cry in terror at the thought of getting a shot?
they wine and wine, even after the shot, and they are totally surprised when they are told its finished. you should have the courage to do it at least once, then if you pass out from the excruciating pain that children don't notice, then well... good luck, cause you are in for a miserably painful life. Plus if you are good, you'll get a cookie! in south Florida we get Gatorade, cookie/chips/pizza, 2 Improv tickets, some random/inconsistent coupons, 1 cool shirt.
(unfortunately you don't get to chose the shirt)

here's my shirts, the seconds my fave.
Spoiler:
IMG_0442.JPG
sharing is caring
IMG_0442.JPG (43.71 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
IMG_0441.JPG
*does the math* hey its right
IMG_0441.JPG (56.04 KiB) Viewed 3872 times

the shirt are from Community Blood Centers of South Florida, not the Big Red Bus (another donation agency)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Seriously my problem donating came when the started pricking you in the finger instead of the ear. The finger HURTS! There are NERVES there. LOTS of nerves!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 am UTC

ahem..
you really think that minor prick is not worth the cookie, drink, shirt, and other stuff.

oh, and the more important good feeling that your helping save up to three lives.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 am UTC

I have donated 2 or 3 times a year for the past 4 or so years. I'm O- so I kind of feel obligated. Also, its always been pretty easy for me. I've never had more of an effect than slight light-headedness for 10 minutes after donating and I have usually filled the bag within 5 or 6 minutes of them putting the needle in my arm.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:49 am UTC

I've donated thrice since I turned 17 (I'm 18 now) and it was really no problem any of the times. The first time I was a little bit nervous just because I wasn't sure of the comfort level, but once they put the needle in I was very fascinated by the whole process and promptly forgot about any discomfort.

The second time I studied for an econ. test and the third time I was finished in about 5 minutes because I was racing the girl next to me. I'll donate again sometime in October or November I'm sure. I don't mind and it's for a good cause. If I were in a car accident or something, I'd hope there was blood in the blood bank.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:51 am UTC

...Racing? How do you make it go faster?
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:58 am UTC

think happy thoughts, about the girl? :D

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:59 am UTC

No can donate.

I lived in Germany as an Army brat for more than six months between the years 1980 and 1990, so according to Amerricah, I am unfit to save lives.

American Red Cross wrote:You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames

* From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
* From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.

My mom tells me that it is because after the Chernobyl incident, military bases in Europe were handing out beef for next to nothing.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:33 am UTC

I've never donated blood, and never plan on it in the forseeable future: I am scared witless of needles.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Sykotic1189

Postby Sykotic1189 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Can't for about 10 months. I've been getting tattoos since about a month after I turned 17 and I'm getting another one right before Christmas. Maybe when I'm 20.
Good times?

I'm not paranoid, I sleep with a 14'' boot knife for other reasons.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:23 am UTC

I can't donate, because I'm underweight, so I agree with why I can't. I mean I can't even have a few viles of blood taken out of me for testing without being drained and tired constantly for a month+ I don't really want to think about what a blood donation would do to me, assuming I made it back out the door.

Also even if I wasn't underweight I wouldn't try to donate cause needles and I do not mix on a physical and psychological level. (sorry but painful mildly debilitating bruises that take months to go away are not on my list of things to want, even if I get paid for the time spent).

Also, whoever said they've never heard of people fainting from donating, it's pretty common especially with younger donaters, even if they are a good weight.

Return to “General”