Poll: Pill to eliminate the need for sleep

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

If you could eliminate the ability and need for sleep, would you do it?

Yes
66%
No
28%
I will explain my answer in the thread.
6%

Total votes: 190

Vox Imperatoris

Poll: Pill to eliminate the need for sleep

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:36 am UTC

If you had a magical pill that would completely eliminate both the ability and need for sleep, would you take it?

I really don't understand anyone who wouldn't do this; if I had any way not to waste a third of my day on sleep, I would definitely do it. But apparently some people wouldn't, so I made this poll to understand your reasons.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Ishindri

Re: Poll: Pill to eliminate the need for sleep

Postby Ishindri » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:43 am UTC

I definitely would, being a transhumanist - anything to help improve on the inefficiency of our bodies is fine by me.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 am UTC

I was going to say "No," but then I saw your avatar, and she's going to be haunting my nightmares for years to come, so I have to change my answer to "Yes."

Originally, though:

Falling asleep, being asleep, and waking up (under certain circumstances) are three of my favorite pastimes. Dreams are fun, and falling asleep with someone cuddling with you is the nicest feeling in the world. Plus, I literally do not know what I would do with 8 extra hours per day. Honestly? It's not like I make an effort to accomplish much during the other 16.

If you're terribly interested in increasing your productivity, you could look into polyphasic sleep. I won't link you because (1) I'm too lazy and (2) I haven't taken the time to figure out how to work any tags other than spoiler and quote.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Is it a permanent thing, or can I sleep now and then when I want/need to?
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Side effects?

If there's nothing more major than hallucinations, GIVEGIVEGIVE.

I hate being tired, and I hate wasting time sleeping.

Sure, I'd sleep every now and again, as a recreational thing, and to get some real rest, but I'd be awake most of the time.

If it's a permanent thing, I'd probably take it. The extra hours would be worth it.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 am UTC

I said I would explain.

I would definitely want to eliminate the need for sleep, but I would definitely want to keep the ability.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:18 am UTC

If we eliminated the need for sleep, would we still have tiredness? Since we sleep for reasons other than to rid ourselves of tiredness, I would imagine so. As much as I would love to magically have several hours more each day, I don't think constantly tired would be worth it. Sure, I'd have more hours, but all of my hours would be less enjoyable.

However, if it it just removed the actual need for sleep but still allowed me to sleep to regain my energy, I would totally do it. As long as the side effects didn't include me losing my hair/having my face melt off, of course.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:23 am UTC

Sleep is where dreams happen. No way in hell am I giving that up.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:24 am UTC

This thread rang a bell, so I went to The Google and dug up this article. A drug like this is not completely hypothetical at all.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... eprivation

Edit: Reworded myself.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:13 am UTC

For the purposes of the poll, the pill would remove tiredness from lack of sleep (but not from physical exertion) and any mental side effects like hallucinations that would result from having no sleep. It would also remove the ability to sleep and would be completely permanent; you can't ever go to sleep again if you take it.

And with regards to the dream factor, I hardly ever remember my dreams, and when I do, they're pretty boring, so I wouldn't miss it.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:16 am UTC

The problem with sleep is, I'm never tired when I need to be, and I always wake up groggy and feeling like shit for the next five hours.

So yes, I would take the pill to eliminate it.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:19 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:This thread rang a bell, so I went to The Google and dug up this article. A drug like this is not completely hypothetical at all.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... eprivation

Edit: Reworded myself.

That is awesome. 8)

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:21 am UTC

In fact, if this pill did exist, and there were some people who didn't take it, they would become inefficient. No sleeping leads to more productivity.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 am UTC

I love the feeling of falling asleep while tired, the feeling of waking up tired and being able to go back to sleep, and the fact that I have a time I can relax where nobody else can bother me. If sleep weren't necessary, I wouldn't be guaranteed that time.

I also have fantastic dreams, consistently. I would never, ever, under any circumstances, give up my ability to dream.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:47 am UTC

Yeah, I could use that pill right now.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am UTC

This isn't SB, so I feel perfectly entitled to go off on wild speculation:

Are you kidding?

Do you know what that would have meant for my homework load when I was in high school?

Where previously teachers have said "Oh, yes, I know you have other activities and of course you need to sleep, this class is homework heavy but you shouldn't need to spend more than an hour or two in any given night," now they would say "You have eighteen hours of productivity outside of school, and six classes, and one of them is gym and one of them is art. Clearly four hours of homework from this class is perfectly doable, and it would so improve how we can use our class time!" I know teachers who literally give us homework because they think we need to be occupied.

Bad, bad, bad plan.

Imagine children popping these pills in order to increase their chances of getting into college. The existence of night schools as a supplement to day schools. High school counselors telling freshmen the harsh fact that if they don't take the pill and use their night time (the new summer!) to do community service or athletics or extra courses, it will look very lazy on the college applications. College Board listings for colleges saying the percent of incoming students who were in the top 10% of their senior class, average SAT score, and percent who are NonSleepers.

Or what about the work world? Now that you have eight extra hours in a day, surely you can give some of those hours to us? Hello, sixty-hour work week. If you want to have a good chance of getting ahead, that is. Do you think that just because you don't have to sleep, twenty extra hours of work isn't going to have an effect? When you slept, that was still time that you were available to your kids if they needed you at night. Now you're at work, the streetlights shining through the window.

Sleep is time in which no one expects you to accomplish anything. You would trade it for more stress. No, thanks. I have enough of that sixteen hours a day already; I don't need it to become literally incessant.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:56 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Stuff

So, basically, no sleep will drive down the value of time as a commodity? That's quite an interesting take, though I'm not sure what kind of ruthless robots would have to be running the world for that to happen.

As for kids popping no-sleep pills to get into college... well, they do that already, but they're more so caffeine pills.

My personal answer to this - if I could do it selectively, I would. Last night being a good example. I'd far rather be able to regain seven hours of good brain time than end up with several hours of insomnia-related bad brain time and a few hours of scant, poor-quality sleep. It would also make adjusting to travelling between other time zones far easier. Also, there are some people who do need to work relentlessly and around the clock, and I imagine something like this would make life a lot easier for those people.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:07 am UTC

It needn't have anything to do with robots ruthless or otherwise.

Take Jane and Jill, both competing for the same promotion/raise/bonus in their company. Both are hard workers and spend all the time it is reasonable to expect them to spend on work. Their output is about the same; they are on an even field.

Then Jane gets ahold of this Endless Consciousness pill. All of a sudden she has eight extra hours. She needn't even put all that into work; she can use four hours to spend time with her kids and still come out with a massive increase in output, not to mention the advantages that come with extra time for networking and availability. The extra time with her children makes her happy.

Now Jill can't compete with Jane. There's just no way she can squeeze an extra four hours of productivity into her work day at its current length. She can either resign herself to losing out to Jane, or she can take the pill.

Jill takes the Never Rest Again Ever pill (competing brand) and uses her extra time to work for six hours and troll /b/ for two hours. Now Jane is two hours a day behind Jill. She can choose either to resign herself to losing out to Jill, or she can cut the time she spends with her kids.

No matter what choices either of them make from here, the result is stress, stress, and more stress. And it only takes one person on the What Good Is Dreaming Anyway pill to take the spot and make the pill a requirement to stay competitive for a whole bunch of people. You can extrapolate this to school, of course, and probably most other endeavors. (Athletics? Now in order to be good enough for the Olympics, you'd best be training ten hours a day.)

Sleep puts a cap on the madness. Sleep is good.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:40 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Sleep puts a cap on the madness. Sleep is good.
Exactly. Even if you remove all physical need for sleep, and all averse negative effects of sleep deprivation, I don't think you can remove the desire for a mental break without fundamentally changing the way we think.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 am UTC

If it could remove the physical and mental effects of lack of sleep, yes.

Suffering from insomnia as I do, this would be a godsend. Alas, it is not ever going to happen.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:28 am UTC

Mercurius wrote:If it could remove the physical and mental effects of lack of sleep, yes.

Suffering from insomnia as I do, this would be a godsend. Alas, it is not ever going to happen.

Seconded-it would be no good if it meant you were perfectly healthy but still needed sleep... But yeah, that pill would be spectacular!

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:36 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
Quixotess wrote:Sleep puts a cap on the madness. Sleep is good.
Exactly. Even if you remove all physical need for sleep, and all averse negative effects of sleep deprivation, I don't think you can remove the desire for a mental break without fundamentally changing the way we think.

I think that I, and other game addicts, can clearly state that you can literally go for day without feeling the urge to rest. I feel tired, of course, but I don't feel the urge to get my head down. A pill like this would mean I might have enough time to actually grow to merely dislike WoW, instead of loathing it.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:14 am UTC

If we were talking I get the pill and no-one else does, and I also had the ability to make noise at any hour of the day, it may be useful.

Actually, no, wait, that'd be crap. I'd be all lonely during those extra hours, and knowing me, be liable to waste those as well.

Hmm, I was originally planning to say something about how if I was the only one it might be viable, but if all of society had it the world would just go crazy, but hell, it might be crap both ways.

Also, things are waaay more funny when you're tired. I'm not gonna give up that feeling of senseless euphoria :D

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

I wouldn't. Sleeping helps me forget about crap from the previous day.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

I seriously don't get enough sleep, and most of the time it's my own fault - I'm easily distracted, and faff about. I would like to be able to do something in those hours without worry of collapsing of exhaustion...

Oh, and I love the thread title - Poll: Poll: Pill...
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

I like the idea, but I don't think I could deal with life just being one long never-ending existence. I can cope with days in blocks, but after being up and being productive for 16+ hours I need to switch off and process that shit. I'd feel totally trapped in my own head if I knew that no matter what I did, how much I tried to not think, I would never be able to lose my consciousness. It's not something that I ever feel the need for since I get regular sleep, but thinking about not having that escape sounds horrible.

Tarquinius

Postby Tarquinius » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

It definitely sounds like a good idea to me. I've never really liked sleeping - I always felt that there was something bettter that I could be doing with my time.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

Its a personal taste. I for one have never had a dream I enjoyed more than my daydreams. Gimmeh.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

I'm in, too. Time spent sleeping is time wasted. Bring on the stress!

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

I would like to get rid of the need to sleep but I'll keep the ability to sleep. Because sometimes I like to nap (and apparently I am 80 years old?).

Also, would this pill stop you from getting hangovers / comedowns? Because the only time I ever really want to sleep is if I've been overindulging and I need the downtime for the chemicals to filter out of my system.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

I think that I'd want to know a whole lot more about why we need to sleep before I tried to eliminate the need for it.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

I voted no for two reasons.

One, I love sleeping. There's just something great about being in between the warm blankets with a poofy pillow under your head.

Two, I too need my days divided up. If I never had to sleep, then I would never have any idea about when to start or stop doing something. I could be working on one thing for, say 14 hours and then move on to something else for 8 hours and then something else for 16 hours. Soon the time all blends together and you never stop to clear your mind or forget anything. Then the slow spiral to madness sets in. Someone mentioned that you really would have to change the fundamentals of how your mind operates and I agree completely.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

No.

I like being able to have a guarenteed 8 hours of me time, even if it's resting.

I like that I have to have a certain period of unconsciousness, that people won't use me 24 hours a day.

I like sleep. No one can take that away from me. It's time that no matter what's happening, you're spending with yourself. Sometimes, it'd be nice to not have to sleep as much. Like when you're doing something you want to do, or you're engaged in work that you enjoy. But, if people had to give up sleep completely, the 8 hour workday would disappear, and I'm not working 18-24 hours a day.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

micco

Postby micco » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

No. I like sleeping.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

Lets change this up a bit. Would you eliminate the need for sleep if you were the only one with the ability to? In other words, society would not change with your sleep elimination?

So you would still have those 8 hours at night/day to yourself, it would just be not sleeping. And you would always feel "rested."

Being "not rested" at any time means you have a need for sleep, so that idea is eliminated.
It also elminates need for sleep to heal woundes or recover from illness faster. you would just do that faster after taking said pill.

I think with this I would be ok with not sleeping, might be a little lonely those 8 hours, but I'm tired of having only 4-hr evenings after work and then its sleeptime.

I guess I'm being greedy here but If all of society would get the pill, then no, down with the pill. Our world is not ready for that. Some countries have pretty nasty work hours already.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

If everything else was the same... I'm not sure.

Maybe I'd take up drugs to pass the time when everyone else is doing something else, like sleeping.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

I'm one of those people always frustrated with how little time there is in the day, so I would take it. It would mean I'd have more time during the day to do work and any other chores around the house, and still have 8 hours for video games and leisure. Not bad.

But it would take quite a while to get used to having so much free time. Ideally, I'd be able to wean myself off of sleep over the course of a couple months, slowly going from 8 hours per night to none.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:If everything else was the same... I'm not sure.

Maybe I'd take up drugs to pass the time when everyone else is doing something else, like sleeping.

I've taken up the WoW drug and that has been working just fine as my dangerous narcotic.

These days I've been having a hard time getting "bored," I don't think I've found myself in that state for about 1 1/2 years.

This is all personal though. If someone has great dreams and loves to sleep then they should keep doing so. 24-hr wakeness is not for everyone.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

I get bored all the time. Often times I enjoy being able to sleep away some of that boredom.

Also, when I'm depressed, I enjoy being able to sleep through it. Or, well, sleep.

Lying around in my bed is also fun, and probably wouldn't be as satisfying if I weren't tired.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

I have problems with sleeping, usually because I get bored while trying to sleep (unless I'm completely dead on my feet, in which case I'm generally out for the count by the time my head hits the pillow). So I try and find something to distract myself, and end up only getting about three hours when I'd planned for seven or eight (for example).

So I don't think sleep as a way to remove boredom works too well for me.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Return to “General”