Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hermaj

Re: Questions For The World

Postby hermaj » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Also: "Sod that for a game of soldiers" was first used, I believe, by Rik Mayall in the 1980s anarchic sitcom The Young Ones. I'm pretty sure it's a Pom, rather than Aussie thing. Other permutations include exchanging 'sod' for fuck/bugger/stuff/screw/cypherspace, and generally means 'fuck that, I'm going to do something easier/safer'.

Yes, it is definitely not ours. Our common equivalent is "Bugger that for a laugh", and is pretty much what Felstaff said, but more towards easier. Because we are like the hard working Aussie Battlers, except for most of the time when there is beer to be had.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

I must be the least Australian person in the country...

So many of these 'Australian' phrases that I have never, ever, heard anyone say.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

crowey wrote:To Australians: Are you really wary of the wildlife, or do you get used to the fact that everything is deadly?
Depends what you mean by wary. Most people don't act like the Crocodile Hunter around wildlife. We generally know better than to pick up snakes or play with spiders.

|Erasmus|, how much time have you spent outside of Sydney? The cities, especially Sydney and Melbourne, pride themselves on being cosmopolitan and stuff. Live in Bourke or Kalgoorlie or Mt Isa for a month, and spend most of that month at the pub, and you will hear plenty of Australian talk.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:
Felstaff wrote:Also: "Sod that for a game of soldiers" was first used, I believe, by Rik Mayall in the 1980s anarchic sitcom The Young Ones. I'm pretty sure it's a Pom, rather than Aussie thing. Other permutations include exchanging 'sod' for fuck/bugger/stuff/screw/cypherspace, and generally means 'fuck that, I'm going to do something easier/safer'.

Yes, it is definitely not ours. Our common equivalent is "Bugger that for a laugh", and is pretty much what Felstaff said, but more towards easier. Because we are like the hard working Aussie Battlers, except for most of the time when there is beer to be had.

Everyone's an Aussie Battler except for the people who earn more money than them, and the people who do less work. (Woe betide anyone who fits both categories, lest you find yourself at the shiny end of a Today Tonight camera.)

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
crowey wrote:To Australians: Are you really wary of the wildlife, or do you get used to the fact that everything is deadly?
Depends what you mean by wary. Most people don't act like the Crocodile Hunter around wildlife. We generally know better than to pick up snakes or play with spiders.

|Erasmus|, how much time have you spent outside of Sydney? The cities, especially Sydney and Melbourne, pride themselves on being cosmopolitan and stuff. Live in Bourke or Kalgoorlie or Mt Isa for a month, and spend most of that month at the pub, and you will hear plenty of Australian talk.

One of my best friends at uni is from scone, and spends his time not at uni there. I've spent a bit of time staying with my cousins in Bowral, but I've never really come across anyone that talks like the ridiculous aussie stereotypes.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Man but Bowral is full of old people and tulips.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

telcontar42 wrote:So are political issues like gay marriage, abortion, and teaching evolution/creationism in schools significant issues in other countries or is they just the result of the religious fundamentalism in the US?

Religious fundamentalism. Here in the UK, gay civil partnership (not marriage because the church quite rightly said it's not actually marriage unless it's a man and a woman) was legalised a few years ago. Abortion is legal until 26 weeks (it's certainly twenty-something anyway) and is still debated about, but very little is changed. If you tried to teach creationism in a science lesson you'd be laughed out of the school and possibly the county. You'd also probably lose your job for not only being an awful science teacher, but trying to convert other people to Christianity. Creationism isn't taken seriously at all by the majority of people here. As far as we're concerned, evolution is as close to fact as we'll get without a time machine or an extremely weird and coincidental gravitational anomaly.

But then again, Darwin was British so we were probably more likely to listen to him anyway.

So, Americans, here's an awfully naive question for you: Is American highschool anything like the pre-teen dramas would lead you to believe? With pep rallies being crucial to everything in the year and the cheerleaders and jocks being their own clique who bully the nerd, dorks, dweebs or whatever the hell they're called?

Also, to the far south, do you tend to get a lot of Spanish being spoken? Are there that many Mexican and South American immigrants? And is it a routine thing for some people to try and sneak over the border?

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:So, Americans, here's an awfully naive question for you: Is American highschool anything like the pre-teen dramas would lead you to believe? With pep rallies being crucial to everything in the year and the cheerleaders and jocks being their own clique who bully the nerd, dorks, dweebs or whatever the hell they're called?

Only kind of. At my high school there were different cliques. There were the goth kids, the band/theater geeks, the jocks, etc. but it was not like everyone had to fit perfectly into one clique and couldn't hang out with anyone else. We did have an occasional pep rally, but they weren't a big deal. That probably depends a lot on the school and how big football is there. Pretty much for most schools, those pre-teen drams are just exaggeration and stereotyping based somewhat on what American high schools really are like.
thecommabandit wrote:Also, to the far south, do you tend to get a lot of Spanish being spoken? Are there that many Mexican and South American immigrants? And is it a routine thing for some people to try and sneak over the border?

Yes. There are areas with lots of Spanish spoken. Many immigrants come into the US from Mexico and South and Central America, both legally and illegally. People sneaking across the border is routine. For an example, I go to school in Boston, very far from the southern border, and all of the custodial staff at my school is either Hispanic or Haitian. If I ride the subway through certain parts of the city, there will be as much Spanish spoken around me as there is English.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:So, Americans, here's an awfully naive question for you: Is American highschool anything like the pre-teen dramas would lead you to believe? With pep rallies being crucial to everything in the year and the cheerleaders and jocks being their own clique who bully the nerd, dorks, dweebs or whatever the hell they're called?

I'd say no, but it definitely depends on the high school. Sure, there are cliques, but less of a hierarchy and more of a connection of little circles (what's that one called again?).

Yes:
circle.JPG
circle.JPG (13.26 KiB) Viewed 6666 times

No:
hier.JPG
hier.JPG (5.67 KiB) Viewed 6664 times

And I see pretty much no bullying as you've described. But maybe that's just my school. What you see is a little more like gang warfare. Not a group of jocks bullying a couple "nerds" and more a couple groups of girls slinging insults at each other in hate. Occasionaly circles will split, two "factions" of a once solid group. Or maybe you'd see a group of boys sitting at a table exchanging insults. "Your gay." "Your mom's gay." See? Or did I explain it horribly?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Also, to the far south, do you tend to get a lot of Spanish being spoken? Are there that many Mexican and South American immigrants? And is it a routine thing for some people to try and sneak over the border?

New Mexico is very bilingual- a good 60% of students at my school can and will speak Spanish fluently. Illegal immigration is a common thing, but a very good percentage of the Hispanic population here has been living in the same place since before America even existed.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Not really, at least from my experience. I know it works that way at some schools, but they're in the minority. At our school there were kind of small cliques that didn't really hurt each other, and often overlapped. Some didn't like others (the creative writing kids had a rivalry with the group that wrote angsty poetry about blood and dragons, the Girls with Ridiculous Fake Tans didn't seem to get along with a whole lot of other people), but there was almost always someone from every group who was genuinely friendly, and there wasn't really any nerd persecution going on at all times. That may have had something to do with which classes I was in, though.

As for football games and pep rallies, some people were into them, but I never got the point.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:So, Americans, here's an awfully naive question for you: Is American highschool anything like the pre-teen dramas would lead you to believe? With pep rallies being crucial to everything in the year(1) and the cheerleaders and jocks being their own clique who bully the nerd, dorks, dweebs or whatever the hell they're called?(2)

1. Actually, at my school Homecoming Week was HUGE. They made a class competition out of it, with Monday through Thursday being various spirit days such as Decade Day, Peter Pan day, whatever the ASB officers could think of. Then Friday was Color Day, where each class was assigned a different color to wear as much of as possible. People went mad over this, hair dye, face paint, jewelry. Last year some people in the senior class went ahead and got us all blue flags somehow, which they then put in the bleachers for us to pick up as we came to the assembly--the assembly being the climax of all this.

So looking at the bleachers, each of the four sections was a mass of blue, red, green, white, or wev. Each class wrote a skit about our football team beating whoever they were going to play for the homecoming game and performed it at the assembly. All the performance teams did their shit for us. There were several cheers that all the students were supposed to take part in, and even more that we spontaneously started (usually to greet a speaker or wev) and because it was a competition whichever class was the loudest/best got points, we were very loud indeed.

It's not quite the same as a pep rally, but by God it was the spirityest thing I've ever seen. Was friends with an exchange student from the Czech Republic, and she was quite blown away by it all.

2. Everyone has a different opinion on this. The performance teams did tend to be very close-knit (because when you've got practice three hours after school and on most weekends, you don't have a lot of time to keep up other friendships), and so did some of the athletic teams for the same reason. But our football team seriously sucked, so they didn't have a lot of clout. If anything, we all mocked them. The cliquiest team was probably the cross country/track and field types, but they were all quite nice so it wasn't a big deal.

And of course there will always be that jerky guy who treats other people like they're not in his club and does his utmost to make them feel like shit, and female equivalent, and they always manage to find a few friends, so blech. But I'm pretty sure that happens everywhere.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Poochy wrote:
ishikiri wrote:I assume you mean the drug adverts?

I don't think they would last very long here. They probably would be take down by. . . whoever it is that takes adverts off the air.

Not just drug adverts. Toy commercials, fast food/restaurant commercials, cosmetics, etc. All those commercials seem to be devised by people with no moral standards whatsoever in the US an amazingly high percent of the time.

Our advertising system is really strict. It can only take about 15 complaints to get an advert off air, there was an advert for bodywash that showed about a second of women nipple in the shower; it was taken off air after 16 complaints - from the entire of the UK.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Screw you, hippy.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

YES, WHAT IS IT?

edit: Oh.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:Our advertising system is really strict. It can only take about 15 complaints to get an advert off air, there was an advert for bodywash that showed about a second of women nipple in the shower; it was taken off air after 16 complaints - from the entire of the UK.

Yeah, but in the US, even a second of a woman's nipple would never ever make it on to TV in the first place.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:10 am UTC

No survivors at -20F !? Bahahaha! I've been out in -40. I survived just fine.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:12 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:No survivors at -20F !? Bahahaha! I've been out in -40. I survived just fine.

Hell, look at where I'm from... and I've survived -30. It was goddamn cold, though.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:43 am UTC

telcontar42 wrote:
ishikiri wrote:Our advertising system is really strict. It can only take about 15 complaints to get an advert off air, there was an advert for bodywash that showed about a second of women nipple in the shower; it was taken off air after 16 complaints - from the entire of the UK.

Yeah, but in the US, even a second of a woman's nipple would never ever make it on to TV in the first place.

We were the only country in Europe to complain about it, this was back in 1996. There have been a load of extremely similar adverts (including side boob) which have been fine since.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:50 am UTC

telcontar42 wrote:
ishikiri wrote:nipple complaints
no nipples in the US

On this nipple issue: Europeans, how common is nudity on television, really? As Telcontar42 said, it virtually never occurs in the United States.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:57 am UTC

You know how the US is about violence on TV? Thats how most of mainland Europe is about nudity.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:01 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
Vox Imperatoris wrote:>100-Extremely hot, old people might die. You don't want to be outside. Rarely happens in the summer for more than a very short time.
90-Very Hot. You still probably don't want to be outside. Common in the summer.
80-Hot. Bearable, but not comfortable for me. This is the default temperature range in the summer.
70-Good. Upper seventies is warm, and lower seventies is what most people set their air conditioners to. Default spring/fall temperature.
60-Cool. Still fine, but lower sixties gets a bit chilly.
50-Chilly. You probably want a coat, or at least more than a T-shirt. This only happens in the winter.
40-Cold. You definitely want a coat. This happens for short periods of time in the winter.
30-Freezing. 32 is the freezing point. Basically, barring a snowstorm, you're only going to encounter this at night in mid-winter. It has snowed here enough to cover the ground approximately 3 times in 15 years. (Although there was a big blizzard the year after I was born. Our weather is weird.)
20-Very Cold. Does not happen.
10-Extremely Cold. Are you joking?
<0-Canada Temperature. 0 is about -18 Celsius.

That's interesting, because my chart would look nearly the same, except maybe move everything three degrees down (so 97 rarely, if ever, happens.) And I live in Seattle, which is considered to be pretty much the standard for mild climate. (I'm told it's a lot like London, but I've only ever been there for two weeks, so not enough to judge.)

One word: Humidity.

Also, it's upper 70s/80s for almost 3 seasons, with winter being the only time it gets cold. That said, though, I went to New Haven, Connecticut for a month in the summer and was surprised at the relatively small degree of difference.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:04 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:You know how the US is about violence on TV? Thats how most of mainland Europe is about nudity.

So how are y'all about violence then?

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:11 am UTC

If there's anyone from Germany here: how do you feel about the censorship of Nazi symbols in things that aren't endorsing them at all?

I get a little annoyed when games are released depicting WWII using the Imperial flag of Germany or the Iron Cross instead of the actual Swastika flag that was used in real life. It would be like a game depicting the Civil War with no Confederate flag or mention of slavery.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 am UTC

JayDee wrote:

Not everything is deadly. I live in an area where seeing kangaroos, koalas, possums etc is pretty standard, but you don't often come into contact with more dangerous natives. I've got a few hair-raising stories (went camping, slept in tent, lifted up camping mattress to find ten scorpions enjoying my body warmth; brown snakes discovering a fondness for our chook shed/brick weep holes) but honestly, if you respect the fact that animals need space, you're not likely to get hurt. Unless you're very unlucky.

That's just my viewpoint, anyway. The more rural you get, the more you need to pay attention to wildlife, but I doubt that's really any different to anywhere else in the world.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

micco

Postby micco » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Ieatsoap6 wrote:
telcontar42 wrote:
ishikiri wrote:nipple complaints
no nipples in the US

On this nipple issue: Europeans, how common is nudity on television, really? As Telcontar42 said, it virtually never occurs in the United States.

Here it`s quite common. For example, we have this one channel that airs Penn & Teller: Bullshit! at 15.25. And another channels "documentaries" are prettymuch allways about something that involves lots of nudity. Channels that air childrens program usually don`t air nudity before 21.00. The basic rule I think is, that program unsuitable for children under the age of 13 is not aired before 18.00, program unsuitable for children under 15 is not aired before 21.00 and program notsuitable under age of 18 is not before 23.00.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

On the TV censorship issue, the other night, we had a program titled "The Perfect Vagina". I believe it aired at 10 pm.
And yes, it was rather graphic.

Spoiler:
By graphic, I mean watching someone get sliced up "down there" graphic...
Along with many other standard shots.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

I have been known to be. Probably because of where I lived. We had some sort of venomous snake under the house for a while, and on more than a couple of occasions we had a couple of nasty spiders (the sort that might give you a rash with a bite) get into the house when I was little. Of course, I live in the UK now, so virtually nothing is dangerous here, except waking up a bull while out cow-tipping, but I am still somewhat wary of spiders. Its not exactly arachnophobia, but my immediate reaction is one of getting space between me and the spider, usually before I start thinking rationally and treat it like any other bug.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
ishikiri wrote:You know how the US is about violence on TV? Thats how most of mainland Europe is about nudity.

So how are y'all about violence then?

About the same I think. Where you have "the Unit" we have "Ultimate Force", there are a lot of equivilent shows that we rip-off of the US but put a more British/European feel to.

Plus a lot of American shows are shown in Europe anyway.

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 am UTC

I have a question for the British here: Do you make fun of French people as much as the Americans do?
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:37 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:

New Mexico is very bilingual- a good 60% of students at my school can and will speak Spanish fluently. Illegal immigration is a common thing, but a very good percentage of the Hispanic population here has been living in the same place since before America even existed.

Interesting. Some supplementary questions: How many of the non-Hispanic population are able to speak Spanish? If they can, to what degree? Is it true that the vast majority of the Hispanics tend to be the poor uneducated ones who do the crappy jobs? Would there be lots in a university for example?

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:42 am UTC

CVSoul wrote:I have a question for the British here: Do you make fun of French people as much as the Americans do?

Not really these days. I think it died down about the same time we stopped taking the piss out of the Irish, Xenophobic comedy isn't mainstream any more and probably died with Bernard Manning.

Material relying on the north/south divide and class differences is as strong as ever though.

Edit: I suppose this applies more to professional comedians than regular people. Dara O'Brian has a skit when he's in England about how we just stopped doing Irish jokes a while back.

I probably talk the piss out of Americans more than I do French.
Last edited by ishikiri on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 am UTC

CVSoul wrote:I have a question for the British here: Do you make fun of French people as much as the Americans do?

Hey, we do it too!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 am UTC

Yes, Perhaps more.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Guest wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:

Interesting. Some supplementary questions: How many of the non-Hispanic population are able to speak Spanish? If they can, to what degree? Is it true that the vast majority of the Hispanics tend to be the poor uneducated ones who do the crappy jobs? Would there be lots in a university for example?

Roundabouts 50% speak at least a little, as it's usually mandatory in schools. 5-10% are fluent.

You really can't make any meaningful predictions as to a person's wealth here based on ethnicity. My poorest friend is Hispanic- but so is the Mayor. At Uni, it appears to be about 40% Hispanic, and it is true that they fill most (but not all) manual labor jobs. I think that in general it's somewhat similar to African Americans in other parts of the US, except maybe less so. Yes, they tend to be less wealthy in general- but just because a person is Hispanic doesn't mean that they are poor or uneducated.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:06 am UTC

HadouKen24 wrote:Chinese is not so much a single language as it is a family of very closely related languages which share a common writing system. It is unrelated to either Japanese or Korean. Unlike Japanese and Korean, it is tonal language. The meaning of a word is dependent on the rising and falling of its pitch as pronounced. It does not have an alphabet, but an incredibly large set of ideograms which must be memorized to become literate. Fortunately, some words are formed by combining ideograms, rather than having an individual ideogram of their own. It's very easy to tell Chinese writing from the writing of any other language. If it looks like a bunch of very complicate symbols, most of which would require 7-10 pen strokes to complete, all in a nice straight row, then it's probably Chinese.

From what i hear from my girlfriend, japanese and chinese share some characters. To the extent that she can understand what some japanese says.

Due to the Auld alliance, the scots take the piss less so. However, like much of the "good bits" of england we replicated, french bashing is on the increase!
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Ooh, I have a question mostly for my fellow Americans. (I r politician?)

You know how every single gas station everywhere has the same type of sign? With the three types of gas (Unleaded, Unleaded Plus, and Unleaded Premium) listed and the prices next to them and they're always exactly ten cents apart?

Right. So does anyone actually buy the Plus or the Premium? If so, why?

Silas

Postby Silas » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:[D]oes anyone actually buy the Plus or the Premium? If so, why?

I know I don't. Though my mechanic tells me that it might be worth it if I drive a lot of highway miles.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Silas wrote:
Quixotess wrote:[D]oes anyone actually buy the Plus or the Premium? If so, why?

I know I don't. Though my mechanic tells me that it might be worth it if I drive a lot of highway miles.

Hmm. A man who makes his bread and butter off of suckers who spend unnecessary amounts of money on cars, advising people to spend more money on cars?

Well i never.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Ooh, I have a question mostly for my fellow Americans. (I r politician?)

You know how every single gas station everywhere has the same type of sign? With the three types of gas (Unleaded, Unleaded Plus, and Unleaded Premium) listed and the prices next to them and they're always exactly ten cents apart?

Right. So does anyone actually buy the Plus or the Premium? If so, why?

I think the pricing is a quasi-traditional thing, sort of like the 9/10 cent. It's growing less and less common, but is still very normal.

The plus and premium stuff is usually for higher-end cars. My grandparents have a Mercedes Benz and it says on the dash next to the fuel gauge "Premium fuel only". The difference is in the amount of octane (or heptane if you want) in the fuel. This affects how it burns and the higher-end cars have differently tuned engines, I suppose.

Return to “General”