Questions For The World

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pfhorrest

Re: Questions For The World

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:47 am UTC

addams wrote:Now, neither of us know if you will make the meeting; Or, Not.

That's not a "now", that's a "still". You wanted to know if I would make the meeting or not. (Hypothetically of course, in this imagined conversation). I didn't have that information. So to begin with, neither of us knew; and still neither of us know. I did have some information though, which was relevant, and which I was able to share with you in a way I wouldn't have been able to without modal operators. If the only information I could convey to you was "yes I will make the meeting", "no I will not make the meeting", or silence, then you would either receive an unfounded claim (as either of those two claims might turn out to be false), or nothing. With modal operators, I can convey the limited information I have.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:44 am UTC

Never mind, Pfhorrest.
I went to the meeting,
You didn't miss anything.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:11 am UTC

In America we have a kind of condiment usually put on hot dogs and hamburgers that consists of a kind of mash of diced pickles (which means pickled cucumbers here) and I presume some other ingredients to make it a sauce. We call that condiment simply "relish".

Today I learned that to the rest of the world, relishes are a broad class of sauces that even include curries and jams, which in the US would never have been called relishes.

My question for the world is, what do people outside America call the thing specific thing that we just call "relish", if "relish" is such a broader term?

(I'm slowly learning my whole life is a lie. There are more kinds of corns than just corn, more kinds of pickle than just pickles, more kinds of relish than just relish... and a wiener schnitzel isn't even a kind of hot dog!)

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:21 am UTC

I've seen that sold here in Japan as 'American Relish', 'Hotdog Relish', and 'Hotdog Pickles' but it's kind of hard to find and I don't think most Japanese people would recognise what it was if you said it.

Personally, if I couldn't get away with 'American Relish' (or just 'Relish'), I'd probably go with 'diced pickles', or 'those diced pickles Americans put on hotdogs'.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:52 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:diced pickles (which means pickled cucumbers here)

This sentence rather confused me until I did some googling. The cucumber family has two common members, which in English as far as I knew are called cucumber and gherkin. So I was rather confused by the term 'pickled cucumber'. But it turns out in the US both kinds are called cucumber. So how do you differentiate between the two?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:diced pickles (which means pickled cucumbers here)

This sentence rather confused me until I did some googling. The cucumber family has two common members, which in English as far as I knew are called cucumber and gherkin. So I was rather confused by the term 'pickled cucumber'. But it turns out in the US both kinds are called cucumber. So how do you differentiate between the two?

The same way y'all differentiate courgettes, I'd imagine.

As a serious answer, the only time I recall gherkin being used is specifically for tiny pickles. Everything else is a cucumber or an English cucumber depending on the variety, or a pickle if it's been ... pickled.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:44 pm UTC

There's only one type of courgette...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

My mistake then. Where did I get that...?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

I dunno. You lot call one a Zucchini though, right?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:40 pm UTC

Zucchini and Squash. With Squash having multiple variants - butternut squash, summer squash, spaghetti squash, the generic yellow squash....

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Zucchini and Squash. With Squash having multiple variants - butternut squash, summer squash, spaghetti squash, the generic yellow squash....

I always thought Zucchini was a type of "summer squash" where as butternut was a type of "winter squash"
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Zucchini and Squash. With Squash having multiple variants - butternut squash, summer squash, spaghetti squash, the generic yellow squash....

I always thought Zucchini was a type of "summer squash" where as butternut was a type of "winter squash"

I think you are correct.

A question for The World.
Clothes.

Not what you are wearing.
What do you have in your closet?

How much do you have in your closet?
I have seen a wide variety of Amount of Clothes.

How much clothing do we need stashed away for a Rainy Day?

Rain Clothes.
Snow Clothes.
Almost no clothes for Summer.

Work Clothes.
Formal Wear.

Sleeping Clothes.
Lounging Clothes.

Then all the Specialized Clothes.
Wet Suits. Biking Shorts. Hiking Boots.
Orange Vest for Hunting (dear don't see orange)

How many Closets do you need to hold all the clothes you need?
Is there a difference by nation?
Is there a difference by climate?

Those people in the Frozen North need a lot of Clothes.
They need clothes for Cold. They need clothes for Colder.

When it gets cold, I like to put on a Car.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

Winter. Summer. As long as you can find a place indoors it shouldn't matter.

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

I mostly have shirts (all short-sleeved) t-shirts, a few longish shorts, a few light trousers, one light rain coat, two light jackets, two heavy hoodies, one coat (that may be at my parents' place at the moment).

The trousers, hoodies and the coat qualify as winter clothes, but I think I only take the coat when going out at night.

Skiing clothes, formal clothes, fancy stuff (mostly for larps) are at my parents' place, which is bigger than mine.

I don't have sleeping clothes.

(Note I live in a place that has warmer winters than average France).

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:03 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:The cucumber family has two common members, which in English as far as I knew are called cucumber and gherkin. So I was rather confused by the term 'pickled cucumber'. But it turns out in the US both kinds are called cucumber. So how do you differentiate between the two?

Oh god. So not only is not all relish made of pickles, and not all pickles are cucumbers, but not all cucumbers are cucumbers...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I always thought Zucchini was a type of "summer squash" where as butternut was a type of "winter squash"

You aren't wrong. The Summer/Winter divide refers to how long it lasts in storage - Summer ones not lasting long, winter ones lasting much longer and still being edible.

Re:Clothing - Louisville ranges from expected temperatures of -12C/10F to 35C/95F, with 40C/105F highs and -23C/-10F lows not being entirely unexpected.

That said, I don't really have a heavy coat. I don't know how much of it is that I run warmer than most and how much of it is that I'm fat, but the heaviest coat I own is probably what most people would call a medium coat. I usually just wear up to four layers if it's that cold. The lightest I go is light jeans and a T-shirt as about the only time I go outside in the summer I'm either going to or from a building with air conditioning or I'm mowing and I don't mow in shorts.

The summer can play hide and go fuck itself, though. I do not enjoy temperatures above 23C/75F

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:16 pm UTC

Re: clothing.

Oakland is northern-ish California (San Fransisco bay area), and I find myself having more clothes here than when I lived in San Diego (As southern california as you can get). Never gets below freezing here, so most of my stuff isn't very heavy. Although we can get quite the cold ocean wind.

Casual stuff: Loads of jeans, two pairs of shorts (it goes get pretty warm here and again, upper 80's F yesterday), t-shirts, almost no shirts containing collars. Light coat (to cover arms, contains many pockets, hood), Jean jacket (tad warmer), heavier-style cloth jacket (my "cold weather jacket")

Work clothes: collection of slacks (mostly cotton), V-neck undershirts, button down collared "dress shirts."

"Going out" clothes: jeans/cordoaroy (not as ripped up), nicer t-shirts, few different blazer-style coats of different colors/styles/warmth.

wedding/job Interview/"black tie": 2 "three piece" suits (black, charcoal), black/brown shoes to match.

other stuff: 5 pairs shoes (work, boots, tennis (2), chucks), hats (mostly flat or brimmed caps), ties (2 bow, 4ish long), a few scarves for "cold weather"
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:56 pm UTC

I live somewhere where expected temperatures run from -40C to +35C (not counting humidity/wind). Precipitation is pretty minimal compared to a lot of areas, but it can be quite windy.

I have three jackets - a winter jacket (basically a ski jacket), a lined, heavy canvas jacket for cool spring/fall days, and a windbreaker (for when it's windy or rainy). I also have insulated rubber boots, Sorrels, scarves, a tuque, ski pants, and a variety of gloves and mittens for cold weather. Aside from that, most of my wardrobe is jeans and tshirts, mixed with a few polo and button down shirts, a couple pairs of shorts, and a couple fleece sweaters. There's some dress shirts and pants and suchlike tucked in the back of my closet as well, but they rarely see the light of day.

When it's really cold, I agree with addams - traveling in a warm environment is much preferred.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 am UTC

The weather here drops to around -5C in winter, but dry, and peaks at around 35C in summer, which is very humid and rainy. The average temperature is about the same as the UK, but the min/max range is a bit wider, and the summer is more humid. The main concessions to this I've made in my clothing were buying a load of short sleeved shirts for work in summer, a load of pairs of shorts, because wearing jeans or long trousers in super humid/wet weather really sucks, and a few thermal undershirts for work in winter (although I rarely wear them, because while it's freezing outside, the office is normally a little too hot in winter).

Aside from that, I have a few pairs of jeans, a load of t-shirts, several casual shirts, long sleeved work shirts, and 4 or 5 suits. I have a reasonable but not super-thick winter jacket, ski gear (if it gets really cold then I'll wear the ski jacket as a winter jacket), a few different woolen sweaters of various thicknesses (some of them work-appropriate, most not).

Sleeping varies from nothing (or just boxers) with a fan pointed at the bed in summer to a t-shirt and a decent comforter in winter.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:27 pm UTC

Back to pickles/relishes, in the uk we'd likely call American relish a pickle. Though it is vastly inferior to the one true pickle.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 pm UTC

A, singular, pickle? Then what do you call a whole pickled cucumber that hasn't been diced and mashed and turned into a sauce?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:23 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:A, singular, pickle? Then what do you call a whole pickled cucumber that hasn't been diced and mashed and turned into a sauce?

A gherkin.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:32 pm UTC

Y'all folks talk funny.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:15 am UTC

poxic wrote:Y'all folks talk funny.

Be patient with us.

What do you have in your Closet, Poxic?
Anything Good?

The other posters are so Practical.
I am Practical, too.

Still..I have a TuTu.
Do you?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 am UTC

I have stuffed animals, an elf hat, and a wedding dress with writing all over it and dirt on the train. (Worn to a costume party.) >.>
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:24 am UTC

poxic wrote:I have stuffed animals, an elf hat, and a wedding dress with writing all over it and dirt on the train. (Worn to a costume party.) >.>

Somehow I knew I could count on you.
So funny.

As for the Normal Clothes;
How many Closets do you have?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:27 am UTC

Just the one. Oh, and the hall closet. For my too-many-coats.

Do we count the medicine cabinet in the bathroom?

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:17 am UTC

poxic wrote:Just the one. Oh, and the hall closet. For my too-many-coats.

Do we count the medicine cabinet in the bathroom?

The ones for Make-Up or the one for Medicine?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:30 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:A, singular, pickle? Then what do you call a whole pickled cucumber that hasn't been diced and mashed and turned into a sauce?

A gherkin.

So if you take a bunch of "gherkins", dice and mash them and mix them with some other stuff into a sauce, that sauce is "a pickle"?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:55 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:So if you take a bunch of "gherkins", dice and mash them and mix them with some other stuff into a sauce, that sauce is "a pickle"?

Yes, I believe it is. Although I'd wait for a second opinion, as I no longer 100% trust my British English, since I've been out of the UK and talking to non-Brits more often than not for the last 3+ years.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:13 am UTC

Wait, you make sauce out of pickles? Truly, the world is a weird place.

But I'm still confused. So let's put this in very American terms. I'm at a McDonalds. I want to order a big mac, but I want one without these. What do I tell the cashier? "Can I have a big mac without gherkins?" or "Can I have a big mac without cucumbers?" or "can I have a big mac without pickles". Or all of the above?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:38 am UTC

In the UK, you'd be best off saying "without gherkin(s)", but they'd probably understand what you meant if you said "without pickles" instead. They might understand "without cucumber", but even if they did they'd think it was a strange way to refer to the ingredient in question; I'd guess that most Brits aren't even aware that gherkins/pickles and cucumbers are from the same/similar fruits.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:26 am UTC

"a pickle" when referring to a sauce is short for "a pickled sauce"

I've read/said "pickle" so much, it's stopped looking like a word :(

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:06 am UTC

Diadem wrote:So let's put this in very American terms. I'm at a McDonalds. I want to order a big mac, but I want one without these. What do I tell the cashier? "Can I have a big mac without gherkins?" or "Can I have a big mac without cucumbers?" or "can I have a big mac without pickles". Or all of the above?

In America we'd say "without pickles". I doubt the typical cashier would even know the word "gherkin", and probably wouldn't know that the ingredient in question is made of pickled cucumbers either. (Or that cucumbers are a fruit, for that matter; "they're not sweet, how can they be a fruit?" Adacore, do Brits generally use the botanical sense of fruit like that [or something closer to it than Americans at least], or is that just you?)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Wait, you make sauce out of pickles? Truly, the world is a weird place.

Thousand Island dressing is often made with finely diced pickles. The "special sauce" that goes on a Big Mac is nothing more than mayo, sweet pickle relish, yellow mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Adacore, do Brits generally use the botanical sense of fruit like that [or something closer to it than Americans at least], or is that just you?)

No, that was just me, I think. I debated which to use, and fruit just seemed more natural in that sentence. If I hadn't been reading the Wikipedia articles on cucumbers/gherkins to research for these questions I probably wouldn't even have thought to say 'fruit'.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I'd guess that most Brits aren't even aware that gherkins/pickles and cucumbers are from the same/similar fruits.

I didn't know either. When my grandfather was alive we would mock him for growing huge gherkins and claiming they were cucumbers.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Adacore wrote:

A gherkin.

So if you take a bunch of "gherkins", dice and mash them and mix them with some other stuff into a sauce, that sauce is "a pickle"?

Similar to how jam, jelly, preserve, relish, sauce, et c. are singular.

But also a pickle just isn't a single item here. If you go to the "pickles" section of a shop you'll find things like branston, and what you would probably call relish, as well as pickled eggs, beetroot, cabbage, and gherkins. Calling pickled gherkins pickles gives them a preeminence they do not have in British cuisine.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Adacore wrote:

A gherkin.

Similar to how jam, jelly, preserve, relish, sauce, et c. are singular.

At least the way I use them, those words aren't so much singular as they are mass nouns. The only time I can of that I'd use an indefinite article or numeral with those would be if I was implicitly talking about different types, e.g. "a [type of] sauce", "6 [types of] preserve".

Though rereading this, it sounds like that's the same way pickle is being used, so I'm probably just being pedantic.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

The phrase "one true pickle" probably makes sense when discussing a specific kind of pickle. Likewise I suppose one could mention a specific jam.

Return to “General”