Things you would never, under any circumstances, do

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Robin S

Things you would never, under any circumstances, do

Postby Robin S » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Another one of those threads where it's not entirely clear where it belongs. I'm curious: following on from my thread a while back about the (monetary) value of a life, I'm curious to know what sorts of things, in a broader sense, people would be willing - or unwilling - to do, if there was sufficient compensation.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

steewi

Re: Things you would never, under any circumstances, do

Postby steewi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:45 am UTC

I would never:
- rape someone in cold blood (death first)
- be complicit in rape

I would do only if I absolutely had to:
- burn books
- fight on the front lines of a war

I would, given the right circumstances:
- Kill (in self defence, or defence of innocents)
- steal out of desperation (in a Robin Hood sense)
- rebel against an unjust government and otherwise break obviously unjust laws
- lie and cheat my way out of a probably fatal situation
- sacrifice my own life for a lot of other people to live (don't ask how many it would have to be - I don't know)

Oddly enough there are surprisingly few things I wouldn't do. There are a lot of things I would rather not do if I had the choice, and a lot of things I find distasteful and will therefore avoid, but the absolutes are few.

Edit: As for killing for money, I have to admit that I wouldn't hire out as an assassin. If I were to be killing someone, it would be because they were an obvious threat to myself or others. You couldn't pay me to kill someone you wanted dead if I didn't already want them dead.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Robin S wrote:Another one of those threads where it's not entirely clear where it belongs. I'm curious: following on from my thread a while back about the (monetary) value of a life, I'm curious to know what sorts of things, in a broader sense, people would be willing - or unwilling - to do, if there was sufficient compensation.

Can we limit this to non-coercive situations? There are lots of things I would do to save my life or the lives of my loved ones that I would never do for myself. The reason for this is that I would not consider myself responsible for my actions. If I were acting only for personal gain, or altruistic gain for someone else, there would be many, many things I would never, ever do.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:08 am UTC

I would do literally anything for a clean conscience and peace of mind. (rape, murder, world destruction, if it made me feel good I'd do it)

Things people couldn't pay me to do
Knowingly damage someone's self confidence or anything else in their head they need to live a a good life.
Knowingly damage parts of someone's body that they need to live a good life.
Knowingly damage someone's stuff that they need to live a good life.

Things I don't like to do
Hurt stuff without good reason ( my mom doesn't get why I hate mowing the lawn)
Break things without good reason
Do work that isn't needed or is duplicate(this is just as strong a block as not killing pets for fun :/)

I do many things I thought I never would by circumstances leading up to it so this list may change.

SmokyMcpothead

Postby SmokyMcpothead » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

I can't honestly rule out anything. There are certain things I wouldn't want to experience or take part in (mass genocide being an obvious example) but I am a big believer in the don't knock it till you have tried it theory.

So, with that out the way there is probably very little I would never ever do. Lets just hope that some things never come up!!! :twisted:
Wretched hive of scum and villainy? Woo-hoo, count me in!

Light sabers don't kill people. Jedis kill people.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

I would definitely not help a mad scientist breed a new race of super raptors - faster, smarter, and deadlier than any before them.

Spoiler:
I mean, that would totally cut into MY breeding of a super race of raptors.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

vanRillandBath

Postby vanRillandBath » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

I they were to pay me enough, I think I would kind of do anything. Some things are more expensive than others, of course.

sir_schwick

Postby sir_schwick » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

Would never:
-Rape
-Torture
-Push the Button, screw whatever ultra nationalistic conflict would force me to push the button, I'll let one country win a nuclear war rather than destroy both
-Be a state sponsored terrorist
-Destroy knowledge or free access to knowledge
-Fight on the side of a belligerent in a war of aggression

Would not like to do:
-Have a career
-Drive a petroleum driven vehicle
-Kill in a war of defense

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

• Make a silly Rick Astley reference
  • Eat that chicken at the back of the fridge that I'm too afraid to touch. Heavens, I think it just moved. I wonder if it's actually attached itself to the shelf.
  • Allow a Scientologist Ambulance take me to hospital
  • Describe myself as 'eccentric', 'zany', 'off-the-wall', 'mad', or 'crazy' unless a fully qualified physician told me so, and handed me a letter recognising it as a medical condition. ('I'm afraid your son has a case of the wackies, Mrs. Felstaff')
  • Admit that my current perception of Michael Jackson in the media has altered my taste in music he recorded over 20 years ago. Sigh. His music was so good. And now he has Lupus and no nose.
  • Evoke Godwin's Law
  • I probably would have evoked Godwin's Law in this point. But I'm not going to!
  • Smile at a crocodile (No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile)
  • Trust a man called Moustachio Incognito, especially when he is wearing a top-hat, twirling his moustache and raising one arm to eye level when it is underneath a black cape with purple lining.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

See, I can't answer this question. I like to keep my options open.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Anal Sex

Meat Loaf wrote:would do anything for love,
But I won't do that.

thats what the songs about ... and i agree..
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

ShaKri wrote:Anal Sex

But I won't do that.

Well whatever it was he sure hammered it home [so to speak... oooh err missus etc] over the fricking 9 minutes that song consumes!
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

ShaKri wrote:Anal Sex

But I won't do that.

..no, it's not. Let's examine the lyrics, shall we?
And I admit, the things in parenthesis were things I changed, either changing the pronoun from I to He, or interpreting what was being said

Things Meatloaf will never do for love...
    lie to you and that's a fact
    forget the way you feel right now
    forgive (himself) if we don't go all the way tonight
    do it better than (he does) it with you
    stop dreaming of you every night of (his) life
    forget everything
    (believe it to be a) brief interlude and a midsummer night's fling
    move on
    (let it)all turn to dust and ...fall down
    (go) screwing around

I missed the part where he said he wasn't in to anal play. Giving or receiving. So, obviously, he's down for whatever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

...watch an entire baseball game on TV. Death first.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Mat

Postby Mat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

I don't think theres anything that I wouldn't do under any circumstances and I have a hard time believing anyone who says its impossible that they could ever kill anyone or whatever. You don't know how you'd behave if you were in a drastically different situation, e.g. if lives were at stake or you've been driven insane by reading too many youtube comments.

However, there's things which I wouldn't do for money at the moment. Maybe I don't really appreciate the value of money but after a certain amount theres like an integer overflow or something in my brain and all amounts sound the same to me, i.e. "a lot". So theres lots of things where just being rich isn't enough to make me do it. Mostly the standard stuff which has already been mentioned. Plus I wouldn't do anything where my life would be in serious danger.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Things I've seen mentioned in this thread that I'd totally do (edit: make that "have done"):

- burn books (it was more difficult than I'd expected)
- steal
- rebel against an unjust government and otherwise break obviously unjust laws
- lie and cheat my way out of a probably fatal situation
- mow the lawn
- Break things without good reason
- Knowingly damage someone's self confidence
- Drive a petroleum driven vehicle
- Have a career

I can't think of anything where I can confidently say there's no way I'd do it. Breaking laws of physics aside.

edit since I was editing anyway and to save a double post responding to the below comment:
I'd love to work for a defense contractor. It's pretty much my primary career goal.
Last edited by Birdman on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:48 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

work for a defense contractor.

Felstaff wrote:Make a silly Rick Astley reference

i would say you just did :)
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Believe in a god. I would happily tell you I believed in a god, if you offered me... well, anything. A chocolate, and I'd claim to have undying faith in the almighty. Thing is, I cannot actually believe in god. Threaten me or my loved ones with whatever, put me through hell, anything, I think I would find it impossible to believe.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

I would never believe there is something I cannot do.

That isnt saying I can't... it's just saying I won't.

Yeah pretty much what I believe is "anything can happen", no matter how bullshit crazy it is.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

steewi wrote:- be complicit in rape

What if by being complicit you were able to prevent 2 different people from being raped.

Feel free to answer by saying that would never happen =P
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

sir_schwick wrote:Would never:
-Rape
-Torture
-Push the Button, screw whatever ultra nationalistic conflict would force me to push the button, I'll let one country win a nuclear war rather than destroy both
-Be a state sponsored terrorist
-Destroy knowledge or free access to knowledge
-Fight on the side of a belligerent in a war of aggression

Yep, that's pretty much me. I expand "Push the button" to mean "Kill a bunch or people". I could conceivably kill one person, but if and only if that person was a direct threat to my life, the life of a loved one, or the lives of many people.

It would also take a pretty extreme situation to get me to smoke or do hard drugs.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

There isn't a lot I would definitely rule out, I am not a very morally conscious person.

Wow, thinking, I can't think of something I wouldn't do if the circumstances were severe [or in some cases normal] enough.
One thing I can think of in normal life, is heroin. Other than that, I will kill people, rape people, fuck it, I will commit genocide if I have to. Don't ask for my "price" because I'm not sure. I would have to be posed with it before hand in order to make a decision.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

seladore

Postby seladore » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
  • Describe myself as 'eccentric', 'zany', 'off-the-wall', 'mad', or 'crazy' unless a fully qualified physician told me so, and handed me a letter recognising it as a medical condition. ('I'm afraid your son has a case of the wackies, Mrs. Felstaff')

I think the technical medical expression is 'insane in the membrane'.

Or 'Ocean Madness"

Seriously, I have issues with the things that I would be prepared to do. In the sense that I have read about the Stanford Prison experiment and the Milgram experiment, and think that it is easy to rationalise what I 'wouldn't do', but in practice it may be different.
This is an unsettling thought.

mxyzptlk

Postby mxyzptlk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

I couldn't get it up to have sex with someone who didn't want to have sex with me... I just don't work that way.

I wouldn't hurt anyone because I follow the golden rule, Do onto others.. But I could do so. Even if I felt remorseful immediately afterwards, I know that the feeling would soon fade.

Burning books sounds horrible! :( I would never agree with that and I would probably fight against it.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

seladore wrote:Seriously, I have issues with the things that I would be prepared to do. In the sense that I have read about the Stanford Prison experiment and the Milgram experiment, and think that it is easy to rationalise what I 'wouldn't do', but in practice it may be different.
This is an unsettling thought.

See, I think the thing is that when you know about the way people react in these situations, you become more aware when placed in such a situation that you are being coerced and that you can refuse. I think there were some studies on ex-army people who took the Milgram experiment and refused very early on. I cannot cite it at the moment [all my psychology textbooks are at home :(], but you'll have to take my word that some types of people are more likely to stick to their morals in those situations.

As for what I'd never do.. aside from the standard rape, murder, pillage, I think I'd never be convinced to eat anything still living, or listen to an entire Spice Girl's album.

Sweet Entropy

Postby Sweet Entropy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

I honestly can't think of anything that I would not ever do, unconditionally. There is a possible situation that would in my mind justify anything.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:As for what I'd never do.. aside from the standard rape, murder, pillage, I think I'd never be convinced to eat anything still living, or listen to an entire Spice Girl's album.

Oh come now- you would so pillage!
I gotta be with Sweet Entropy on this one- I'm sure there's something I'll never do, I just can't think of it, and the things I think I might be able to do under some extreme circumstances I might not be able to, as they've never been put to the test.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I think I'd never be convinced to eat anything still living

What about a still-beating cobra heart? I mean, it's not living, it's just that it was living... very recently.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:18 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I think I'd never be convinced to eat anything still living, or listen to an entire Spice Girl's album.

I would certainly never do the spice girls thing.

I have tried eating witchetty grubs though, but i don't think they were still alive (can't remember properly as this was > 10 years ago) as they commonly are when eaten, just raw.

Whim

Postby Whim » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Your mom.
Tried clicking my avatar?

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:14 am UTC

Whim wrote:Your mom.

That's what SHE said.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:42 am UTC

I could probably find things that would be extremely hard to compensate for, but there's nothing that I would never do. (Double negatives do slightly annoy me though)

That would be the case if bound by physical limitations, as, despite my lack of morals*, it would be impossible to condemn someone to eternal suffering for example. It would be like trying to balance a mathematical equation with infinity on one side, which doesn't work if one side is bound to finite amounts.

*Probably better explained by the fact that I believe morals are a product of human society, not god given nor do they exist objectively somehow.

p.s. Bibles burn quite well.

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:38 am UTC

TizzyFoe wrote:
steewi wrote:- be complicit in rape

What if by being complicit you were able to prevent 2 different people from being raped.

Feel free to answer by saying that would never happen =P

It would be something I'd probably agonise over and do nothing, possibly resulting in me being complicit in the rape of one or all three involved, but I wouldn't consciously be being complicit, rather allow it to happen by my somewhat unwilling inaction. It's dilemmas like this that worry me and keep me up at night.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Meatloaf himself said that that was the song about in an inteview..(in all seriousness.)

all the other things are things he woulden't do because of love... not for love.

it would be really .. really stupid to lie for love ...

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Really? Never lied to protect the feelings of someone you love?
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:42 am UTC

ShaKri wrote:Meatloaf himself said that that was the song about in an inteview..(in all seriousness.)

Was that before or after his VH1 Storytellers special where he used a blackboard and pointer to define precisely what That was as spelled out in the lyrics?

In other words.. [citation needed]

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:30 am UTC

It all depends on the reward/compensation. I mean, if it was "If you personally rape and then kill these 12 girls, poverty and disease will be completely eliminated, and humanity will enter the age of space travel", then I would probably take one for the team and do it, as terrible as it would be.

SmokyMcpothead wrote:I can't honestly rule out anything. There are certain things I wouldn't want to experience or take part in (mass genocide being an obvious example) but I am a big believer in the don't knock it till you have tried it theory.

So, with that out the way there is probably very little I would never ever do. Lets just hope that some things never come up!!! :twisted:

sigged.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Robin S wrote:Really? Never lied to protect the feelings of someone you love?

actually ... never...

infact the only times ive lied have been pretty pathetic and petty(and pretty piss easy to tell they where lies)... where someone hits out with something so amazing ... and i'll be like... yeah ? really ? ...
did i tell you i knew how to fly ? ..

or

i was in one of the Terminator movies ;)..

if whatever it is that i would want to hide came out by accident or from someone else through spite... would be much worse than if i tell her myself.
and if when i tell her myself that she would leave me for telling the truth... she is not the person i want to be with.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:22 am UTC

If you compensate me adequately, I will do anything that it is my power to do. I'd kill someone for $5k, but I wouldn't solve world hunger for a trillion dollars. (Unless I had the money first. Then it would be easy.)
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:46 am UTC

I once told a friend I would nuke NYC for the proof of the Riemann Hypothesis. I'm pretty sure I still would.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Return to “General”