Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ephemeron

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Ephemeron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

Apparently, playing Tetris can reduce flashbacks to traumatic events. This applies to flashbacks of the involuntary sensual type. And it works if it is played within the first few hours of seeing/hearing the traumatic event.

sciencedaily.com wrote:Tetris may work by competing for the brain’s resources for sensory information. We suggest it specifically interferes with the way sensory memories are laid down in the period after trauma and thus reduces the number of flashbacks that are experienced afterwards.

And I found this while browsing Google Trends. (Full article)

I will make sure to play Tetris the next time I witness a horiffic car crash or murder scene. However that being said, Tetris has been known to cause some traumas of its own.

"Give me a line piece. GIVE ME A FREAKING LINE PIECE!"

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:10 am UTC

I have a suspicion that this may apply to a lot of video games, particularly puzzle based ones like Tetris.

Although, now I have a reason to keep a gameboy colour in the first aid kit.

"Oh noes! He's going into shock!"
"Quick power it on!"
Doop, do-dee-doot, do-dee-dot, do-dee-doot, do-de-doot do dee doo doo dodo dooooot
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:21 am UTC

Today I learned that my muscles- even- especially, really- the little ones I depend on day-to-day- have limits to the demands I can place on them. I carried four boxes of soda home from the store without bags, and now my left pinky finger is numb and sluggish. It makes it hard to work the Shift and CAPS LOCK keys.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 am UTC

Today I learned that belly button fluff doesn't burn very easily. I thought it would.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Dragonflies are tickly when they sit on your hand.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Today I learned that belly button fluff doesn't burn very easily. I thought it would.
It depends on the primary sort of fibers you have in that area (shirts and sheets, usually). For me, it burns super-well.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Today I learned that the majority of air traffic controllers in the US will retire in the next 10 years. And that the median pay is about 80k while the highest is 159k.

I'm not planning a career change mind you but it was pretty interesting.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

Don't they have a really high rate of stress-induced heart attacks/breakdowns?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

I believe so. You have to keep the dots X distance away from each other, but within X+Y distance too, and they're coming in from every direction, and every one of them is probably at least 40 people, if not a couple hundred. Then some *%@$&@ Cessna has just wandered into the path of an International 747 nonstop London to Chicago. And that's when the guy next to you starts squeezing his stressball that makes that squeaky noise.... it gets a little fuzzy after that, and everyone lands fine, but it takes the surgeons 16 hours to dislodge the stressball. But on the plus side, you get two weeks mandatory suspension paid leave!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Don't they have a really high rate of stress-induced heart attacks/breakdowns?

Remarkable suicide rate, too.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Today, I found out about the coolest natural disaster ever:

Spoiler:
Fire tornadoes!

Here's a link to a video with more information. They are so freaking awesome! :o

(Wondering how long before someone makes a #748 reference)

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:57 am UTC

Kang wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Don't they have a really high rate of stress-induced heart attacks/breakdowns?

I was told that Vets have the highest suicide rate of any profession, preliminary googling confirms that they did five years ago, in the UK.

BBC news, 10/2005 wrote:The suicide rate among vets is nearly four times the national average and double that of doctors or dentists, according to new research.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:08 am UTC

Kang wrote:

It's also true for military air traffic controllers, at least in the United States.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

Kang wrote:

... I was going to say that they also have the coolest suicides since they can tell planes to fly into the control tower, but that's probably a bit crass considering what day it is.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Kang wrote:

... I was going to say that they also have the coolest suicides since they can tell planes to fly into the control tower, but that's probably a bit crass considering what day it is.

September 12th?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:
Kang wrote:

September 12th?
Yep. Louis C.K. wouldn't approve of such a joke on his birthday.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:
Kang wrote:

September 12th?
Yep. Louis C.K. wouldn't approve of such a joke on his birthday.

agreed. How insensitive.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I learned how much blood flows through my pinky toe. A surprising amount!
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

lemma

Postby lemma » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:I learned how much blood flows through my pinky toe. A surprising amount!

Ok you can't just type that out and then not tell us....

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Yeah, there's a whole lot of it.

One time, I accidentally chopped of half my middle toe with the toilet door, and damn there was a lot of blood.

Freaky shit.

I also decided to post this because of the above poster.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:39 am UTC

Yeah, a cut that low on your body has some serious gravity-assisted bloodflow going on...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 am UTC

Well, I was getting a bowl from my cupboard, and I bumped a cup that fell onto my counter where I had some dishes drying. The cup hit a glass which feel onto my foot and then bounced off. The cup also managed to bump a pot which sent the pot hurtling towards the ground and onto the glass. A couple nice friendly pieces decided my three smallest toes needed to have some company. I am pretty sure that my pinky toe was cut almost to the bone, and my next toe had a nice cut down the side. My middle toe just had a small cut. Now, the fun part is that I felt something, but I figured it was just a tiny prick, so I yelled "Hey! Finn!(my little brother) Get my flip flops!" He threw them at me, and I put them on, I took a couple steps, looked down, and my flip flop was turning red! :shock: Yea, so now the inside of my flip flop strap is stained. I got the blood stain out of the bottom of it though!
Spoiler:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:56 am UTC

Wow, that was major kitchen carnage.
Ⓞⓞ◯

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:05 am UTC

That type of thing is not entirely uncommon for me, I am quite clumsy. A year and a half ago I learned what one of the worst sports to get severely injured in is(its badminton). A few years ago I learned what 35 mph gravel feels like,(it kinda hurts) and apparently even unconscious I have quite the sense of balance(skidded 15-20 feet entirely on my face).
Spoiler:

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:Well, I was getting a bowl from my cupboard, and I bumped a cup that fell onto my counter where I had some dishes drying. The cup hit a glass which feel onto my foot and then bounced off. The cup also managed to bump a pot which sent the pot hurtling towards the ground and onto the glass. A couple nice friendly pieces decided my three smallest toes needed to have some company. I am pretty sure that my pinky toe was cut almost to the bone, and my next toe had a nice cut down the side. My middle toe just had a small cut. Now, the fun part is that I felt something, but I figured it was just a tiny prick, so I yelled "Hey! Finn!(my little brother) Get my flip flops!" He threw them at me, and I put them on, I took a couple steps, looked down, and my flip flop was turning red! :shock: Yea, so now the inside of my flip flop strap is stained. I got the blood stain out of the bottom of it though!

I like how this all sounds like the stain on the flip flop strap was the real problem in the whole ordeal.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:That type of thing is not entirely uncommon for me, I am quite clumsy. A year and a half ago I learned what one of the worst sports to get severely injured in is(its badminton). A few years ago I learned what 35 mph gravel feels like,(it kinda hurts) and apparently even unconscious I have quite the sense of balance(skidded 15-20 feet entirely on my face).

D...do you still have a face?

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

Yes I do! And you can't even tell where my face was scraped off! Basically all the skin that was above or to the left of my left eye was gone. sSo, it was half my forehead, and then the edge of my face from the bottom of my jaw to my forehead. A lot of the scraping was on my hair line or a little farther. I actually had a pebble stuck between my eye and the orbital. My entire face was bruised as well. I also scraped up both my arms from the fingers to the elbows and a large part of my hip. For some reason my face scarred a lot less than the rest, but I also had less rocks and pebbles stuck in my face.
Spoiler:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:Yes I do! And you can't even tell where my face was scraped off! Basically all the skin that was above or to the left of my left eye was gone. sSo, it was half my forehead, and then the edge of my face from the bottom of my jaw to my forehead. A lot of the scraping was on my hair line or a little farther. I actually had a pebble stuck between my eye and the orbital. My entire face was bruised as well. I also scraped up both my arms from the fingers to the elbows and a large part of my hip. For some reason my face scarred a lot less than the rest, but I also had less rocks and pebbles stuck in my face.

I actually opened my mouth in shock or awe or something reading this. o.O It seems you are okay though and that is good.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

Yea, that was a few years ago, and I don't count it as my worst injury. Its probably my second. My worst was badminton surprisingly; it was a broken and dislocated kneecap. But I did that a year and a half ago, the bike crash was... 4? 5 years ago? It was either 7th or 8th grade I don't remember, but now I'm a senior in high school!
Spoiler:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:54 am UTC

i_ll_winn wrote:Yes I do! And you can't even tell where my face was scraped off! Basically all the skin that was above or to the left of my left eye was gone. sSo, it was half my forehead, and then the edge of my face from the bottom of my jaw to my forehead. A lot of the scraping was on my hair line or a little farther. I actually had a pebble stuck between my eye and the orbital. My entire face was bruised as well. I also scraped up both my arms from the fingers to the elbows and a large part of my hip. For some reason my face scarred a lot less than the rest, but I also had less rocks and pebbles stuck in my face.

This kind of happened to me when I was six... I looked a bit like Two-Face for a few weeks.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 am UTC

I like how it's all written in a happy style, so it seems like a fun story about a goofy cat in stead of someone scraping half their face off.

And bikes can be mean, I once tried to do a jump thing, the handle twisted and when I came down, the handle made a pretty red, blue and purple circle in my stomach.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

I once went over the handlebars, and the rest of the bike followed me. TL;DR, bike seat in gonads makes pain happen. Even at age 5.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

I've had handlebars come right off the bike while going down a hill. That was fun.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

I once came down a very steep hill going as fast as possible, only to realise at the last minute that I wanted to turn left into a shop at the bottom of the hill. So I turned left and, credit to me, managed to get outside the shop, but I was still going really fast so I slammed on my brakes and turned to slow down with a skid. What actually happened is the whole back spun out, went sideways and I ended up doing a 360 spin sideways on my ankle while still sat on the bike.
At this point my friend comes round the corner to join me, calls me an idiot for falling off and then goes in the shop, completely missing the amazing horizontal spin.
Ⓞⓞ◯

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

When I hear people having bizarre injuries, I kinda wish I had bizarre injuries too.

Sadly the only thing that's close to it is my wound when I tried to open a soda can, and my memories told me that I bled blue blood.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Bizarre injury? More the circumstances than the injury...

I dislocated my knee in a bathroom stall once.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Hang on.. hang on.. let me get a comfy chair and some popcorn...

Okay.

Story time! Story time! Story time!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

Unfortunately it's not nearly as interesting as it sounds.

Under spoiler if you don't want your image ruined
Spoiler:
I was at work one day taking... my morning constitutional. I stand up after completing the task. As I'm standing in front of the toilet I sort of pivot around to flush the toilet. My knee was apparently locked and I guess I turned a bit to far and *POP*. I felt a shooting pain in my leg and had no idea what just happened. I'm (sort of) standing there in pain trying to figure out what to do. I hear a co-worker come in and I let them know I've hurt myself. Supervisor comes to check on me and someone calls 911. Ambulance shows up and says they'll need to cut off my pants to see what's happened (by this time with the help of a few people I've managed to sit down with my leg propped up). They cut up one leg of my pants and WHY THE HELL IS MY KNEECAP ON THE OUTER SIDE OF MY LEG.

The doctor kept asking me how it happened. I was like, fuck if I know. I turned around and fuck me it hurt.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

I pulled a muscle getting into bed once. Quite proud of that for a nigh-reasonless injury.
Weeks wrote:

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

TIL: The word Mamihlapinatapai. It actually sounds like a useful term, a look shared by two people with each wishing that the other will initiate something that they both desire but which neither one wants to start.

Return to “General”