Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

novax6

Re: Today I Learned

Postby novax6 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

TIL: That Mel Gibson is a complete fucking psycho, who should probably be locked away somewhere. I'm not one for celebrity gossip at all, but jesus, that man needs help. It's astonishing to think that South Park was actually not that far off base at all with their version of him.
Last edited by novax6 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Wow... :o Some freak...
Ptolom wrote:penis

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Today I learned there is a wikipedia page dedicated to the zombie apocalypse.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

AJR

Postby AJR » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

TIL: that various books that my great-grandfather wrote/co-authored about a century ago can be bought new on Amazon.

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

TIL: A thespian I am not. But I'm glad I'm having a crack at this anyway.
Sapere aude.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Today I learned that by wobbling my belly with my hands, I can make the piece of fluff fly out my navel.

Hey, who said it had to be something interesting or worthwhile?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

Today I learned about T-coil or telecoil mode for hearing aids. We're slightly closer to cool cyborg stuff than I thought.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 am UTC

Today I learned that Rogers Video now charges $10 to create an account. Which is mandatory. :x Fortunately, Blockbuster does not. (Unfortunately, refusing to do so means I have no excuse to go back in and talk to that cute girl behind the counter... bleh.)

I also learned that the pizza place at the mall, which had the best pizza EVER, shut down recently. :(
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 am UTC

Today I learned that "bubblegum" flavor comes from oil of wintergreen.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:16 am UTC

TIL (actually about a month ago, whatever!) that when you run out of whipped cream, you can just empty the propellant air in it, then simply cut the bottom off. You get a bunch of extra cream! Just, like, spoon it out, or something.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 am UTC

sje46 wrote:TIL (actually about a month ago, whatever!) that when you run out of whipped cream, you can just empty the propellant air in it, then simply cut the bottom off. You get a bunch of extra cream! Just, like, spoon it out, or something.

*whispers * It's not air, it's N2O, aka laughing gas.
Beware of trying to breathe it, though, as there's the danger of spraying whipped cream into your lungs. :)
This message brought to you in the spirit of harm minimization.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:29 am UTC

Oh, I know it's not normal air....to me "air" just means gas, really. That's why I said propellant gas :P

I'm perfectly aware of people getting high off that stuff.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

That trying to boost audio in a video file or normalize the audio can be a giant pain in the ass. Weirdly enough, when I did it the first time a long time ago, everything was peachy.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:15 am UTC

Today I learned an awful lot of little bits I don't understand about quantum theory.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

No matter how much you care, some people are just assholes.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Litof

Postby Litof » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

TIL: the SAT and its inventors should be flayed and roasted on a stake, with their entrails fed to little puppies all around the world.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Why would you hurt puppies like that? They haven't done anything to deserve being fed that garbage. Feed the little pieces to sea lions.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

TIL: The useful college advisor who was in the College of Science office is gone and has been replaced by twenty something bio majors who are only there to sit on computers and chat about their fiances for 20 minutes after my appointment should have started, and have no interest in helping me resolve time conflicts with my Computer Science classes. [Did I somehow get teleported back into the high school's counselor's office?]

/scream
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Litof

Postby Litof » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Why would you hurt puppies like that? They haven't done anything to deserve being fed that garbage. Feed the little pieces to sea lions.

Perhaps we should forgo feeding them to living creatures, and instead set the remains on fire to destroy the evidence.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

We could even arrange them in a big ascii art middle finger arrangement, and do so in the parking lot of the College Board's main HQ in NY.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

TIL that "thou" is informal and not formal as I always thought.

Litof

Postby Litof » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

While the test-creators come down to examine the creation, we release the hounds. Mayhem ensues.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

TIL why Italy play/compete in blue.
It's to do with the Savoy coat of arms which was only removed from the Italian flag in 1946.

European athletics are on and it bothered me so I looked it up.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

Todya I learned about this site.

Those people live in an illusion. Poor North Koreans.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 am UTC

olubunmi wrote:Todya I learned about this site.

North Korea is Best Korea? :lol:

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 am UTC

olubunmi wrote:Todya I learned about this site.

Especially the triplets. Three is a very lucky number in Korean mysticism, and rumour has it that Kim Jong-il believes that he may be deposed by a triplet.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/860136/posts wrote:ALL baby triplets in North Korea are being removed from their parents and placed in bleak state orphanages where they are fed by foreign aid.
Spoiler:
The policy has prompted concern among diplomats and aid officials, who have witnessed sets of babies kept in special “triplet rooms” in orphanages across the country.

“There is no doubt that the policy is compulsory and universal,” said a seasoned diplomatic visitor to North Korea who has seen the rooms. He said he had not noticed family members visiting the children in his many calls at the orphanages. Conditions when foreigners are allowed to enter appear to be spartan but clean, according to several witnesses.

Food supplies to orphanages are a priority for both the United Nations relief agencies and the North Korean authorities. Local officials have assured inquirers that the babies are being given privileges to relieve their parents of the anxiety of feeding three mouths while the impoverished Stalinist nation endures an eighth year of food shortages.

But diplomatic experts who understand the Korean language and culture cast doubt on the official explanation.

They believe the true reason is linked to some of the most bizarre aspects of Kim Jong-il’s dictatorship. The number three is auspicious in Korean mysticism and triplets are revered for exceptional good fortune. Some believe they may be destined for power and great achievements, which would account for the regime’s desire to keep them under observation.

The segregation of triplets has provoked debate among UN aid agencies and non-governmental organisations delivering help to North Korea.

Although there appear to be no reasons to fear for the physical safety of the triplets, regular visitors to North Korean orphanages report desperate scenes of isolation and sadness.

On a recent visit a member of a foreign delegation entered a room to see infants placed several to a cot, all rocking backwards and forwards.

“Our people were stunned into silence,” the delegate said. A paediatrician outside North Korea who assessed evidence collected on the visit diagnosed severe emotional trauma.

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

TIL: it is spelt Mafikeng not Mafeking even if it looks wrong that way and safaris will never have an e in it no matter how many times you type it.
Without me the world would be doomed.

mandachan

Postby mandachan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

adding spices to pasta water doesn't make the pasta taste any different. weird, i boil ramen noodles in their spice packet and they turn out fine.

also, there is a wrong way to make box mac & cheese.
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

Today or yesterday or something I learnt, perhaps re-learnt, that things said just to hurt, still hurt.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:49 am UTC

Today I learned that I'm entitled to free eye tests because I'm diabetic. Saved me 20 quid. Every horrible chronic disease has a silver lining, eh?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:46 am UTC

You also get free prescription drugs.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

I've actually learned this over the course of the past two weeks: Any mistake that permanently alters your anatomy is a lesson learned instantaneously.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

Woopate wrote:I've actually learned this over the course of the past two weeks: Any mistake that permanently alters your anatomy is a lesson learned instantaneously.

Irreversable damage, eh?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

Why haven't you linked me to that before? It's super cool!
Ⓞⓞ◯

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

Today... rather yesterday, I learned-

Don't drop a freaking cantaloupe on your foot!!! and then kick something with said foot the cantaloupe fell on- major ouchies!! :evil:
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Ended

Postby Ended » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

Today I learned how to solve a Rubik's cube. IRL level up!
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Dan Brown, I assume? It's an okay solution for beginners, but I suggest that once you get a bit more comfortable with the cube you start learning Fridrich. Dan's solution is better to start with because you don't need to do F2L and there are far less cases to learn, but Fridrich is simply a much better and faster solution. This is, of course, if you're actually interested in speedcubing. If it's just a neat thing to know how to do or whatever, then never mind.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

Ended wrote:Today I learned how to solve a Rubik's cube. IRL level up!

This reminds me I still have to learn that.
Which in its turn reminds me I still have to buy one.

TIL: C++ .exe's compiled on my computer don't work anymore on my computer after I re-installed my OS :?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Ended

Postby Ended » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Dan Brown, I assume? It's an okay solution for beginners, but I suggest that once you get a bit more comfortable with the cube you start learning Fridrich. Dan's solution is better to start with because you don't need to do F2L and there are far less cases to learn, but Fridrich is simply a much better and faster solution. This is, of course, if you're actually interested in speedcubing. If it's just a neat thing to know how to do or whatever, then never mind.

Thanks for the link! I learned using this page.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

Alright, so not Dan Brown, but still a beginner's solution. It's very similar to his, actually. But yeah, I'd recommend that you eventually learn Fridrich. It's by far the most commonly used method. There are tons of guides around. You may also wish to join Twisty Puzzles, one of the largest cubing forums around. They'll definitely be able to point you in the right direction if you need any help.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Return to “General”