Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

I Am Raven

Re: Today You Learned

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

HedgehogsAreFunneh wrote:Today I learned that even though a certain boy and I have been friends since grade 3 and frequently have twenty-minute conversations about absolutely nothing face to face, a single call from him (admittedly, to my mom) makes me shaky and nervous because I have to call him back and ask him why he called in the first place!!!

I also learned that if said boy doesn't pick up when I make said call, and the answering machine comes on, I become a rambling idiot with random starts and stops in my speech!!!

Luckily, I cut myself off on the phone before I sounded *too* much like a rambling idiot, but I still have a bunch of nervous energy which I'm working out by typing this post really fast and putting in a lot of exclamation marks!!!

I really, *really* like this guy but I don't actually have the courage to tell him yet!!!

Wheeeeaaarrrgghheee!!!

WOOOOOZEEEEEEPHOSHLAAAAAAAAA!!!!*

*I feel the same way about someone I haven't known very long, and is a girl. Everything else is the same though.
Ptolom wrote:penis

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

Today I learned how to make an awesome boat type thing out of paper.
Good old origami.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Today I learned that just because someone adds you to msn doesn't mean they actually want to talk to you.

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

Today I learned, that little dragons made out of paper are really creepy and they turn and stare at you. :shock:

Also, I relearned just how amazing 300 was :D
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Silvyr wrote:Today I learned, that little dragons made out of paper are really creepy and they turn and stare at you.
Would this be the dragon with the concave head? We made one of those before the Higher physics exam this year, and it's still sitting in one of the rooms looking creepy...
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Silvyr wrote:Also, I relearned just how amazing 300 was :D

RAAAAAARGGHHH!

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:

RAAAAAARGGHHH!

Quoted for rage.

I paid money to go see that!
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Tjencks

Postby Tjencks » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Today i learned that doors some doors just lock behind you no matter how much you will them not to, and no matter how hard you bang on the door they will not unlock. :mrgreen:

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:51 am UTC

That Taurine > Crack on all fronts.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Blinke wrote:Today I learned that just because someone adds you to msn doesn't mean they actually want to talk to you.

Code: Select all

*angeleyes92 has added you as a friend*

<angeleyes92> Hi!
<crazyjimbo> Yay, a new friend!
<angeleyes92> ASL?
<crazyjimbo> How do I know you?
<angeleyes92> You should check out this great website I found: http://www.chattosingles.com
<crazyjimbo> Huh?
<angeleyes92> It's a great site you should sign up: http://www.chattosingles.com
<crazyjimbo> Wah?
<angeleyes92> I had great fun at http://www.chattosingles.com, I really think you'd like it
<crazyjimbo> Are you a bot?
<angeleyes92> Sorry, I have to run, but check out http://www.chattosingles.com
<crazyjimbo> ...
<angeleyes92> Bye!

*angeleyes92 has signed off*

:(

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Blinke wrote:Today I learned that just because someone adds you to msn doesn't mean they actually want to talk to you.
Yeah, I've had that happen too. :(

I learned yesterday that I'm not the only xkcd reader in town! \o/ Someone posted "compiling" on the wall of a computer lab.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:39 am UTC

Cheese wrote:]Would this be the dragon with the concave head? We made one of those before the Higher physics exam this year, and it's still sitting in one of the rooms looking creepy...

Yes. Yes it would... It was extra credit in my psychology class. It's currently sitting atop my fridge in hopes I scare my brother. XD
mat-tina wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:

RAAAAAARGGHHH!

Quoted for rage.

I paid money to go see that!

o.O did you not like it?

Zer088

Postby Zer088 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:56 am UTC

concave face? If its what i think it is, i saw one of Jesus... it follows you everywhere you move. i couldn't do anything bad for the rest of the day.
YaKKa Foob MoG. GRuG PubbaWuP ZiNK wattooM GaZoRK. CHuMBLE spuzz.
John Kaim: Love is the most powerful catalyst in existence.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Today I Learned just how awesome Gone with the Blastwave is.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:04 am UTC

It turns out wanting something doesn't make it real, no matter how elaborately you fool yourself.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:It turns out wanting something doesn't make it real, no matter how elaborately you fool yourself.

Wait. You want things that aren't real?

*inches away*

Today I learned that yelling at/with drunken strangers in the (American) football stadium can be rather entertaining.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:20 am UTC

z4lis wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote:It turns out wanting something doesn't make it real, no matter how elaborately you fool yourself.

Wait. You want things that aren't real?

*inches away*

Oddly appropriate response...

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

Today I learned that if I set my alarm clock for 7am, my friend Catherine will inevitably wake me up at 6:30 by knocking over one of my dresser drawers, and I'll end up sleeping 'til past 9am. >.<

Concave-head dragons? o__o What is this awesome-sounding awesomeness?
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:Today I learned that if I set my alarm clock for 7am, my friend Catherine will inevitably wake me up at 6:30 by knocking over one of my dresser drawers, and I'll end up sleeping 'til past 9am. >.<

Concave-head dragons? o__o What is this awesome-sounding awesomeness?

http://www.grand-illusions.com/opticali ... _illusion/
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

I learned that alcohol + trees = climbing trees, which is always a bad idea.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

carbohydrated wrote:I learned that alcohol + trees = climbing trees, which is always a bad super awesome idea.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

3fj wrote:That Taurine > Crack on all fronts.

That this is true until the next morning.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

For people still curious about teh concave headed dragon.. theres a video showing you what he does :D I named mine Vincent ^.^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_LhTPs2f8M

It's pretty freaking amazing actually XD

Today I learned that my love of Chinese food serves as not only a great excuse to use chopsticks, but a way to get a date to homecoming XDDD My friend is taking me because now we can go eat Chinese beforehand. I will never understand guys...

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

Silvyr wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_LhTPs2f8M

serves as not only a great excuse to use chopsticks

Oh my gawd, that is INCREDIBLY creepy. o____o I needs to make me one of those. Though I wouldn't name him Vincent, I can't hear that name without thinking Vincent of Final Fantasy... >.>

And one does not need an excuse to use chopsticks. I was catching a bite to eat over at UCF with my buddy last Thursday, and I got an "oreo mudslide", which was essentially a plastic cup filled with layers of chocolate pudding, whipped cream, and oreo cookie crumbs. I ate it with chopsticks from the nearby sushi bar just to prove to my buddy that I could.

We then got into an argument over how it is quite possible to eat soup with chopsticks as well, via the same mechanism as a cat's tongue - the little grooves in the cheap wooden chopsticks would catch droplets of the soup each time you stuck them in the liquid. It would take FOREVER, but you could do it.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

Mhmm, they are. I was showing it to my friend and he was like "Oh me yarm.. i need one now.." so he printed out six and intends to place them randomly all over his desk XD

http://www.grand-illusions.com/opticalillusions/three_dragons/

Thats teh site taht you can download them from.

Yeah. I use chopsticks for EVERYTHING, but then I get looked at like I'm crazy [as if I don't get that look anyways XD] but I guess I should've rephrased. Chinese food is a great excuse to use chopsticks in public without extreme ridicule. It doesn't really bother me, it's just annoying to be sitting there and every 5 seconds have someone ask me why I'm using chopsticks. Or how to use chopsticks. Or where I got them from.

I've gotten into arguments about eating soup with chopsticks like that too! I came up with the same idea. I'm committed to finding a better solution though. If not better, at least more creative :D

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Silvyr wrote:Mhmm, they are. I was showing it to my friend and he was like "Oh me yarm.. i need one now.." so he printed out six and intends to place them randomly all over his desk XD

http://www.grand-illusions.com/opticalillusions/three_dragons/

Thats teh site taht you can download them from.

Wow, I gotta remember to do one of those tomorrow! I should put one in the kitchen and watch people's reactions :D

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

I've never understood the appeal of using chopsticks. Most people I've ever known to use them just have the attitude of doing it just to show they can. It just seems to me that forks and spoons are much more efficient at delivering food to your mouth.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

kriel

Postby kriel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I've never understood the appeal of using chopsticks. Most people I've ever known to use them just have the attitude of doing it just to show they can. It just seems to me that forks and spoons are much more efficient at delivering food to your mouth.
Stabbing stuff to eat it can say something about the attitude of the culture.

However, it also does limit some of the things that can be eaten. I'm sorry, but much american food is just not meant to be eaten with chopsticks. Tried pizza lately? Or how about hamburgers? Cookies? Salad?

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

kriel wrote:However, it also does limit some of the things that can be eaten. I'm sorry, but much american food is just not meant to be eaten with chopsticks. Tried pizza lately? Or how about hamburgers? Cookies? Salad?

With the exception of salad, all those are usually eaten with only the hands. Which interestingly enough, seems to be quite common in American food. Hot dogs, pizza, hamburgers, even ice cream to a degree, most stereotypical American foods are eaten with the hands. I wonder what that says about our culture?

I think chopsticks are as universally useful as forks. Both can be used for about the same amount, but occasionally need to be complemented with spoons or knives (the Chinese do use knives, but they are generally used before cooking so that the meat and such is all bite sized (I guess this would diminish the use of chopsticks for a steak or something like that). Which is unlike how much of the Western world likes to cut immediately before it is eaten (is this coincidence or due to another difference in cultural norms?)). It's mostly a question of preference. If you grew up with chopsticks, they will be much more natural than a fork to you. I personally prefer a fork, but find chopsticks are useful for chips (both British and American varieties) along with any food intended for chopsticks.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

I learned that Woodrow Wilson was president of Princeton University before he got into government.

roc314 wrote: I personally prefer a fork, but find chopsticks are useful for chips (both British and American varieties) along with any food intended for chopsticks.

Aaaand I learned the above.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Today I learned that Stoic theory scares me. Some of that stuff about giving up all desire for happiness for a simple life doesn't sit well with my views (I know it is more complex than that, but as I don't agree with some of the ideas the desire for a simple life is based on, that's all it is to me).
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Today I learned that some people still need to get the memo not to post in funny colors.
Also, stuffed crab tastes even better after a night in the fridge.

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:Today I learned that some people still need to get the memo not to post in funny colors.

Do you consider maroon to be a funnier color or word?

kriel

Postby kriel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Haistfu, many people consider Red (and anything reddish, maroon, etc) to be a mod speaking. The mods have been known to get very mad about people speaking in red without... you know... being mods.

For the most part, speaking in funny colors is generally discouraged, except in FaiD. But then again, not much _is_ discouraged in FaiD.

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 am UTC

kriel wrote:Haistfu, many people consider Red (and anything reddish, maroon, etc) to be a mod speaking. The mods have been known to get very mad about people speaking in red without... you know... being mods.

For the most part, speaking in funny colors is generally discouraged, except in FaiD. But then again, not much _is_ discouraged in FaiD.

I actually just got PM'd about the mod bit.

Colors discouraged? Social pressure to appear like everyone else? Limit myself by one factor? Never!

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:37 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:Today I learned that some people still need to get the memo not to post in funny colors.

Do you consider maroon to be a funnier color or word?

OK, that was pretty funny :P .

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:OK, that was pretty funny :P .

I try nyuck nyuck 8)

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Today I learned that just because it is sunny and clear when I wake up doesn't mean that it won't start raining heavily in time to cancel the school track and field competition that was scheduled for today. Needless to say, there was much disappointment among both the teachers and the students.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

muffin of doom wrote:Today I learned that just because it is sunny and clear when I wake up doesn't mean that it won't start raining heavily in time to cancel the school track and field competition that was scheduled for today. Needless to say, there was much disappointment among both the teachers and the students.

Just because its raining horrifically and the school oval is a swimming pool, doesnt mean the school sports day wont go ahead.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

@red: although the red was a different red than Satan's Minions the mods use, it was still red...

Return to “General”