Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Re: Today I Learned

Postby bachaddict » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:You tenderized your mouth. Nothing to worry about, just don't do it too regularly. :)

Fresh pineapple also breaks down gelatin. Pineapple jelly is only possible with boiled juice.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:58 pm UTC

Today in TIL: All you ever wanted to know about pineapples.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:18 am UTC

I've got another fact: pretty much all other languages call it some variation on 'ananas'
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

he/him/his

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:44 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:I've got another fact: pretty much all other languages call it some variation on 'ananas'

Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:43 pm UTC

Ooh, I've got one too:

Replacing the traditional water with pineapple juice is a great way to begin a sourdough starter.

A microbiologist called Debra Wink did a proper set of troubleshooting experiments on the protocol to make a sourdough starter. It turns out that if the starter isn't acidic enough at the very beginning it can become temporarily dominated by Leuconostoc bacteria, which delays the establishment of the desired yeast/Lactobacillus community, and can tip the culture to complete failure if you're unlucky. Pineapple juice is perfect to acidify the starter in the first few days and prevent Leuconstoc growth.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Ooh, I've got one too:

Replacing the traditional water with pineapple juice is a great way to begin a sourdough starter.

A microbiologist called Debra Wink did a proper set of troubleshooting experiments on the protocol to make a sourdough starter. It turns out that if the starter isn't acidic enough at the very beginning it can become temporarily dominated by Leuconostoc bacteria, which delays the establishment of the desired yeast/Lactobacillus community, and can tip the culture to complete failure if you're unlucky. Pineapple juice is perfect to acidify the starter in the first few days and prevent Leuconstoc growth.

This is fascinating.

I was told about people that lived on Starter.
It's a strange story. Survival in Alaska. (yuck. Brrr)

I do not recommend repeating the experiment.
People had starter in a jar they carried around their necks.

They melted snow to add to the starter.
They drank the starter.

The Yeast protein and carbos kept them alive.
It was such a strange story.

Women did that, too.
It was in diaries.

http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publicatio ... -00061.pdf
It can become a bit of a Cult.
Or; Fun on a Sunday Afternoon.

We can thank our Lucky Stars we do not do That.
I spent an afternoon with a woman that did.

She woke up one morning with her long hair frozen to the window pane.
What a NightMare!!

I can't remember how she got away from the window.
She said she cried.

Spending the winter alone in the Family Cabin was the questionable choice of a young person.
As a more mature adult she said, she would not do it, again. Young people are Nuts! Warn Them!

I'm going to start some bread.
What's the worse that could happen?

EDIT: That was easy.
What a luxury a modern kitchen is.

oh. A little butter, sugar and cinnamon turn a hearty bread into a treat.
(burp*) oops. Don't eat too much of the dough while its raw.
It can give a person Yeast Burps. (shrug) Small price to pay.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:35 pm UTC

TIL that my phone (or, the google drive app) can read text in images on my phone.

I took screen shots of all my past paper question, saved as .png, then used gnu to type the answers on (overwriting as .png again). Then today in lectures when I was using the search function, I realised that it searched the content within the images and not just the file names!!!

This has made my life sooooooo much easier.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:47 pm UTC

In old English "Apple" meant pretty much any fruit. Originally a pineapple referred to a pine cone. Pineapples, as they are called today, were named thus because of their resemblance to pine cones.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:49 pm UTC

That explains so much.

Sugarapple. Golden apple. Wax apple. Custard apple.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

Eve eating an "apple" that was ... not an apple.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:09 pm UTC

Angua wrote:TIL that my phone (or, the google drive app) can read text in images on my phone.
This has made my life sooooooo much easier.
... and creepier.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:45 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:I've got another fact: pretty much all other languages call it some variation on 'ananas'

Not in every language, though. In Korean it's 파인애플 ('painaepeul'). In Afrikaans it's 'pynappel'. In Filipino and Catalan it's 'pinya'. In Japanese 'パイナップル' ('painapurru'), and even in Spanish I believe it's more often 'piña' than 'ananas'.

This annoys me about the infographic. It wouldn't significantly weaken the point to include the above examples, but data were still cherrypicked to make it look like English is entirely unique in not using 'ananas', which it is not.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:

Not in every language, though. In Korean it's 파인애플 ('painaepeul'). In Afrikaans it's 'pynappel'. In Filipino and Catalan it's 'pinya'. In Japanese 'パイナップル' ('painapurru'), and even in Spanish I believe it's more often 'piña' than 'ananas'.

This annoys me about the infographic. It wouldn't significantly weaken the point to include the above examples, but data were still cherrypicked to make it look like English is entirely unique in not using 'ananas', which it is not.

WYSIATI strikes again.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

Yay, I correctly guessed what that acronym is.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

Today was a day of discoveries:

1. TIL that a scientist I collaborated with on the other side of the country over a year ago has been living, unbeknownst to me, one street away from me for the past few months.
  2. The terrible screen protector I had on my phone finally fell off... to reveal a great screen protector underneath. I had, of course, left the disposable film on my screen protector for two months, and wondered why it had a horrible texture and kept getting more and more scratched.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:51 pm UTC

I removed the terrible screen protector from my phone (bought used), to reveal a wonderful glass screen underneath. seriously, sticking plastic on your screen reminds me of those plastic protectors some people alledgedly put on their sofas. what's the use of having a pristine surface if you don't use it?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

The point being, of course, that when you screen protector gets scratched you can just peel it off and replace it, whereas replacing the glass screen is more costly. For only a little bit more money you can get a tempered glass screen protector that, supposedly, gives you additional drop protection as well as better look/feel. I do not know if these claims are true, but it makes sense.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:06 pm UTC

Yeah, just be a little careful. My phone is 6 years old now and has two small scratches. I can live with that.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:07 pm UTC

Well yeah, screen protector means I can carry my phone in a pocket with my car keys, and it doesn't get scratched. Hell, I can take my car keys, vigorously rub them on the screen, and it only mars the protector a little. You've all seen pictures of phones with screens so scratched you can barely read them.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

I have a glass screen protector.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

speising wrote:Yeah, just be a little careful. My phone is 6 years old now and has two small scratches. I can live with that.

I guess you don't spend too much time at the beach. Two small scratches in six years just isn't realistic if your pockets regularly contain sand.

Whizbang wrote:The point being, of course, that when you screen protector gets scratched you can just peel it off and replace it, whereas replacing the glass screen is more costly. For only a little bit more money you can get a tempered glass screen protector that, supposedly, gives you additional drop protection as well as better look/feel. I do not know if these claims are true, but it makes sense.

Indeed. I was planning to get a glass screen protector, but the plastic one came free with my phone.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:55 am UTC

Quercus wrote:Two small scratches in six years just isn't realistic if your pockets regularly contain sand.

Why would you put sand in your pockets?

Spoiler:
I do know a couple of people who expect their telephones to get wet and/or a bit roughed up by nature, and they just keep them in one of those little watertight hiking sleeves.

I don't have a screen protector. I did a bit of reading in the days following my crawling out of the stone age and decided to put my money on "the screen is the protector, for protecting the stuff behind it". That said, I'm also considerably careful with my overpriced electronics; I keep mine in a thick crocheted sleeve at all times unless I'm holding it and using it, so the screen never ever touches anything except cotton or my fingers.

Oh, and I also don't regularly flop about on the ground at the beach, at least not while I have a telephone my pocket. :P
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:20 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote: That said, I'm also considerably careful with my overpriced electronics; I keep mine in a thick crocheted sleeve at all times unless I'm holding it and using it, so the screen never ever touches anything except cotton or my fingers.

You must be significantly less clumsy than I am, since I drop my phone a lot. Mostly when fumbling with earphones and I accidentally pull the phone out of my pocket. Still, my phone (despite being a smartphone) seem to be virtually indestructable, so so far it's survived with only a few minor scratches on the cover.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:56 pm UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:You must be significantly less clumsy than I am, since I drop my phone a lot.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly not-clumsy (although I've had some practice), but I'm very careful. Also, I hardly use my telephone - I check the time a few times a day, send a text message or two, and play Wordfeud while... in the lavatory.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:22 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Why would you put sand in your pockets?

I don't put sand in my pockets - the beach does. If there is any signficant wind it's impossible to avoid sand being blown onto and into everywhere (my three week old tripod already has sand in one of the leg locks).

eviloatmeal wrote:I do know a couple of people who expect their telephones to get wet and/or a bit roughed up by nature, and they just keep them in one of those little watertight hiking sleeves.

Much too bulky for easy trouser pocket carrying, and I don't trust that sort of thing to not leak at inopportune times. I have a waterproof smartphone (certified for 30min immersion up to 1.5m) and, as I mentioned, a screen protector.

I have only ever dropped a smartphone once (and it was fine). You quickly get out of the habit of dropping things if you do much rock climbing.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:50 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
Quercus wrote:Two small scratches in six years just isn't realistic if your pockets regularly contain sand.

Why would you put sand in your pockets?

Why *wouldn't* you keep sand in your pockets?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 am UTC

I went to a waterpark with my girlfriend last summer. I'm going to say about 50% of the people there had waterproof cases for their phones around their necks, and were casually using them to surf the net or use text chat services while swimming in the pools or lounging in the hot tubs. It seemed crazy to me, even if the product is meant to be completely waterproof, I'm not sure I'd risk my $600 phone on the integrity of a $5 case.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:32 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I went to a waterpark with my girlfriend last summer. I'm going to say about 50% of the people there had waterproof cases for their phones around their necks, and were casually using them to surf the net or use text chat services while swimming in the pools or lounging in the hot tubs. It seemed crazy to me, even if the product is meant to be completely waterproof, I'm not sure I'd risk my $600 phone on the integrity of a $5 case.

Also, these people are in a waterpark, a place that literally has the highest density of fun stuff to do the designers could possibly cram in there. You'd have thought that would be diverting enough to obviate the need to check phones constantly.

I don't know what's up with stuff these days - I'm 25 and I feel like a grumpy old man: "why are you paying to be in a movie theater when all you do is look at your phone, watch the damn movie, grumble, grumble", "there's a beautiful sunset and no-one has noticed because nobody has looked up from their phone for the past half hour, kids these days [waves metaphorical walking stick angrily]".

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
Adacore wrote:I went to a waterpark with my girlfriend last summer. I'm going to say about 50% of the people there had waterproof cases for their phones around their necks, and were casually using them to surf the net or use text chat services while swimming in the pools or lounging in the hot tubs. It seemed crazy to me, even if the product is meant to be completely waterproof, I'm not sure I'd risk my $600 phone on the integrity of a $5 case.

Also, these people are in a waterpark, a place that literally has the highest density of fun stuff to do the designers could possibly cram in there. You'd have thought that would be diverting enough to obviate the need to check phones constantly.

I don't know what's up with stuff these days - I'm 25 and I feel like a grumpy old man: "why are you paying to be in a movie theater when all you do is look at your phone, watch the damn movie, grumble, grumble", "there's a beautiful sunset and no-one has noticed because nobody has looked up from their phone for the past half hour, kids these days [waves metaphorical walking stick angrily]".

It's tricky to learn and practice the difference between Being judgmental and having Good Judgment.

I live on a pretty Planet.
I saw a little old lady taking photos of the Ocean crashing against the shore with an iPad.
She could easily see the image.

She was able to record a few moments of it moving with sound.
She was able to send that image over the internet.

Before the internet those WaterPark people were reading the newspapers or scowling at the world.
They are happier with their phones.
The phone keeps them out of your way.

The tool is simply a tool.

A rondom thought:
After that old bastard shot that guy in the Movie Theater;
(The man was using his phone in Public.)
Has the General Public developed better manners?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:44 am UTC

Quercus wrote:I don't know what's up with stuff these days - I'm 25 and I feel like a grumpy old man: "why are you paying to be in a movie theater when all you do is look at your phone, watch the damn movie, grumble, grumble", "there's a beautiful sunset and no-one has noticed because nobody has looked up from their phone for the past half hour, kids these days [waves metaphorical walking stick angrily]".

You just reminded me of the classic cartoon TV Sunrise, created several decades ago by Michael Leunig.
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:59 am UTC

I'll watch real life when they upgrade it to 3D HD or better.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:10 am UTC

addams wrote:It's tricky to learn and practice the difference between Being judgmental and having Good Judgment.

I live on a pretty Planet.
I saw a little old lady taking photos of the Ocean crashing against the shore with an iPad.
She could easily see the image.

She was able to record a few moments of it moving with sound.
She was able to send that image over the internet.

Before the internet those WaterPark people were reading the newspapers or scowling at the world.
They are happier with their phones.
The phone keeps them out of your way.

The tool is simply a tool.

A rondom thought:
After that old bastard shot that guy in the Movie Theater;
(The man was using his phone in Public.)
Has the General Public developed better manners?

Don't take me too seriously - people are of course free to do whatever they like with their phones, and I wouldn't have it otherwise. I guess my "dissenting view" comes from being introverted to the point that I find constant social contact oppressive, and cherish the times I can be alone with my thoughts. If I was a gregarious extrovert I'd probably be texting all the time too. I am also lucky enough to have a very long attention span, which means I have less desire for distractions than lots of people.

I'd forgotten about the movie theater shooting - that makes my comment seem in rather bad taste. :oops:

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
Quercus wrote:I don't know what's up with stuff these days - I'm 25 and I feel like a grumpy old man: "why are you paying to be in a movie theater when all you do is look at your phone, watch the damn movie, grumble, grumble", "there's a beautiful sunset and no-one has noticed because nobody has looked up from their phone for the past half hour, kids these days [waves metaphorical walking stick angrily]".

You just reminded me of the classic cartoon TV Sunrise, created several decades ago by Michael Leunig.
Spoiler:

Thank you so much for that link.
What is the Point?

TV sunrises are warmer?
And! You can make it Do It, again!

What luxury.
"Shall we go up on the roof and watch the sunrise?"
"Or; Stay in bed and watch the Live Cam?"

(sniff-sniff)I don't have a working Live Cam.
Do you?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:50 am UTC

addams wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:You just reminded me of the classic cartoon TV Sunrise, created several decades ago by Michael Leunig.
Spoiler:

Thank you so much for that link.
What is the Point?

TV sunrises are warmer?
And! You can make it Do It, again!

What luxury.
"Shall we go up on the roof and watch the sunrise?"
"Or; Stay in bed and watch the Live Cam?"

(sniff-sniff)I don't have a working Live Cam.
Do you?

I'm glad you like it, addams. Michael Leunig is one of Australia's national treasures. His work can be dark, but it's never bitter, unlike many political cartoonists.

Here's an example of his dark humour:
Spoiler:

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:28 am UTC

That is so funny.

Olive oil comes from crushing olives.
Almond oil comes from crushing almonds.

We all know where baby oil comes from.
Now I know where lady powder comes from.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:13 am UTC

addams wrote:We all know where baby oil comes from.
Now I know where lady powder comes from.

I always knit with baby wool.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 pm UTC

Today I learned Bread with too much sugar is Cake.
That is common knowledge to many people.

I learned it by doing.
Now, I can make a really weird Cake.

It's ok; Almost good, when warm with butter.
Honey and a cold glass of milk make the warm Bread/Cake yummy.

I know from experience, this bread is best when fresh.
When stale it becomes, Auntie Addams' Edible Construction Bricks.

Dry this thing in the sun and it will go head-to-head with adobe.
During times of great want, Eat The House;

Like Hansel and Gretel did.

Edit: Has anyone come up with Emergency Chalk/Wax that is edible and nutritious.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:16 pm UTC

addams wrote:Auntie Addams' Edible Construction Bricks.

I would totally buy this if I saw it inna supermarket.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Two days ago I Learned

Postby Felstaff » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:45 pm UTC

= designed by Salvador Dalí
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:01 am UTC

Salivator Dali?

he/him/his

Return to “General”