Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: Today I Learned

Postby addams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:When I am in these situations, I find that imagining the other person naked helps.

No, wait. That's something else.

Try crossing the street before you pass them, indicating that you know they are scared and that you are going out of your way to give them space. Maybe whistle and otherwise make noise.

Wolf Whistles do not help.
Singing used to be recommended.

That got Runed by fucking Horror Movies.
Horror Movies have made some of our Best Stuff frightening.

At one time a person could sing a well known song.
There were only three to five songs in the whole world when I was young.

Everyone know at least one of them.
We think we can tell a lot about a person by their voice.

If you sing, The water is wide or Sitamerinkidink or some other well known wholesome little ditty, the other person might be a little reassured.

The sound of you singing an easily sung song, tells the Other how far away you are.
The sound of you singing tells the Other, your gender and a little about your age.
The sound of you singing tells the Other, a lot about you. It can be reassuring.

After several Horror flicks used Children's Songs to Trigger Fear, that strategy Died.

Oh! I have a Really Stupid Idea!
Scream and Run Away.

What ever your stereotype is;
In that woman's head, it will become even Weirder.

What is your SterioType?
What about you frightened her?

Are you Big?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Oh! I have a Really Stupid Idea!
Scream and Run Away.

What ever your stereotype is;
In that woman's head, it will become even Weirder.

What is your SterioType?
What about you frightened her?

Are you Big?

I laughed at the screaming and running away idea, except she might think that I'm running away from something mutually threatening, not from her.

As for your question - I'm a six foot tall, broad-shouldered guy in my mid-twenties, so I pretty much can't avoid the threatening young male stereotype no matter how I dress (my high school nickname was Bear). In actuality I would have substantial difficulties threatening so much as a pigeon (I tried to act "tough" once and my friends couldn't stop laughing, I'm not very good at it), but you can't tell that from my external appearance.

SlyReaper wrote:Not really much you can do about it unfortunately. Any attempt to reassure someone that you're not a threat will inevitably seem threatening in such situations.

I try to cross the road when I can, even if the person doesn't actually look frightened, but that wasn't an option in this situation. I basically walked past her saying in my head "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry". It's a strange feeling of helplessness to know that you are frightening somebody and there's nothing you can do about it.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:When I am in these situations, I find that imagining the other person naked helps.

Try crossing the street before you pass them, indicating that you know they are scared and that you are going out of your way to give them space. Maybe whistle and otherwise make noise.

I don't know, there've been a few times I've been scared by someone following me and if they suddenly started whistling or somesuch I'd be worried they were trying to lull me into a false sense of security by lending themselves an air of innocence. Crossing the road as you pass would probably help.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

mjmitche

Postby mjmitche » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:55 am UTC

how to use pgp, a little about disk encryption, more about tor

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:

I don't know, there've been a few times I've been scared by someone following me and if they suddenly started whistling or somesuch I'd be worried they were trying to lull me into a false sense of security by lending themselves an air of innocence. Crossing the road as you pass would probably help.

Or; You could Flash Back to every Horror Flick where some little kids song runs, just, under the Scary Music.

ech. I freak out easy.
When the Computer in Space Odyssey 2001 sang Daisy Daisy, I cried.

Of course, I don't watch much of that sort of thing.
Those programs put some Fucked Up people inside the OutPosts inside The Head.

"It is difficult to fight an Enemy that has OutPosts in your Head." Another Judyism.

That is the way Viruses work.
Meme. Virus of The Mind. Meme.

Such a Good Name for it.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 am UTC

How dramatic the difference between the rainy and dry seasons are at home. You notice everything is a lot browner, but it happens so gradually.
Spoiler:
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 am UTC

I hope we'll get a lot of advancements in water desalination technology in the next few decades. It's not like a ton of people will die without it.

Edwards

Postby Edwards » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:29 pm UTC

Today I learned the alphabet in sign language.
This was learnt in a hospital waiting room.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

Today I learned why you should always wear long trousers while handling liquid nitrogen (as well as a lab coat, cryo gloves and a face shield)

I was transferring some freshly frozen cells from the -80 freezer to the LN2 tank, when one of the wire "gates" which hold the sample boxes in place came loose. I was maybe an extra 30 seconds fiddling around with this to put it back in place, with the result that the rack was warmer than usual when I lowered it back into the tank.

The result was some fairly violent boiling, a small liquid nitrogen geyser and frozen trousers (which would have been frozen legs had I been violating lab dress code and wearing shorts). Next time I shall lower the rack more cautiously :oops: .

It's a bit of a milestone for me, being probably the first time that an incident occurred which was prevented from becoming an accident by lab safety rules. Lab safety rules have on a regular basis stopped incidents from occurring in the first place, but this is the first time something unexpected happened and bad things were averted by a safety precaution.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:I laughed at the screaming and running away idea, except she might think that I'm running away from something mutually threatening, not from her.

As for your question - I'm a six foot tall, broad-shouldered guy in my mid-twenties, so I pretty much can't avoid the threatening young male stereotype no matter how I dress (my high school nickname was Bear). In actuality I would have substantial difficulties threatening so much as a pigeon (I tried to act "tough" once and my friends couldn't stop laughing, I'm not very good at it), but you can't tell that from my external appearance.

SlyReaper wrote:Not really much you can do about it unfortunately. Any attempt to reassure someone that you're not a threat will inevitably seem threatening in such situations.

I try to cross the road when I can, even if the person doesn't actually look frightened, but that wasn't an option in this situation. I basically walked past her saying in my head "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry". It's a strange feeling of helplessness to know that you are frightening somebody and there's nothing you can do about it.

I remember one of my friends in London tell me - he was a bald, bearded and big guy - that he consciously planted a friendly smile on his face when he was out to avoid scaring people. He was a friendly bear, I can assure you.

Approach would not work if you walk behind someone though.

Ontopic: today I learned that my two cats can fight one minute and sleep soundly next to each other the next, both of which has never occurred to the same degree before.
I don't know if this is a good sign yet though.
This too shall pass

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:
Quercus wrote:I laughed at the screaming and running away idea, except she might think that I'm running away from something mutually threatening, not from her.

I remember one of my friends in London tell me - he was a bald, bearded and big guy - that he consciously planted a friendly smile on his face when he was out to avoid scaring people. He was a friendly bear, I can assure you.

Approach would not work if you walk behind someone though.

Ontopic: today I learned that my two cats can fight one minute and sleep soundly next to each other the next, both of which has never occurred to the same degree before.
I don't know if this is a good sign yet though.

The cat thing is interesting.
They fight?

I watch cats, sometimes.
Beware Anthropomorphism.

Of course, as humans, we have the Imagination for it.

Cats are Creatures of Habit.
All Creatures are Creatures of Habit.

Cats also have Social Status Structures.
They tend to be more Strict than most Americans.

In the Herd or Pack or Coven or whatever it is they call Pack-o-Cats I have been watching,
There are not so Strange Social Status Structures.

The Smallest Female is a Tough little thing.
No one messes with her. Not even Cloony the Racoony.

She is a Human Sycophant.
I know how sharp her claws are and we are on Friendly terms.

I would not want her to lash out at me, the way she lashes out at others.

She is a sweet little thing.
She has a busy schedule.

She sleeps in the sun for a while,
then she sleep in the shade.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Clix

Postby Clix » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

TIL How to make ArcMap count points inside of polygons. A small victory granted, but it made the work day worth while.
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 am UTC

TIL that the /r/xkcd subreddit was taken over by a subreddit-squatting white supremacist MRA mod, now displays prominent links to /r/MensRights and /r/TheRedPill, and attempts by community members to reclaim the sub were unsuccessful despite Randall's endorsement. My respect for reddit in general has dropped by at least 50% since I discovered this.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:46 am UTC

Adacore wrote:TIL that the /r/xkcd subreddit was taken over by a subreddit-squatting white supremacist MRA mod, now displays prominent links to /r/MensRights and /r/TheRedPill, and attempts by community members to reclaim the sub were unsuccessful despite Randall's endorsement. My respect for reddit in general has dropped by at least 50% since I discovered this.

I have no idea what that means.
It can't be good.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:05 am UTC

addams wrote:I have no idea what that means.
It can't be good.

There are MRAs (Men's Rights Activists) that care about men's rights, and then there are MRAs who just care about preserving their privilege in a sexist and patriarchal system. I believe the insinuation is that the moderator who took over the /r/xkcd subreddit* is one of the latter.

*A subreddit is essentially a different subforum (like 'General' and 'News & Articles' here) where people submit links and textual posts pertinent to the subject of that subreddit. In the case of /r/xkcd, that would be a subforum on the subject of xkcd.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 am UTC

How does someone take over a subreddit as mod?

It's a whole other world out there.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:10 am UTC

Apparently some kind of shenanigans involving the request process for removing sub-mods who haven't posted in the past 2 months and/or taking over subs which have no active mods. I'm not completely clear on the details, but apparently this guy has done it to a lot of subreddits, including /r/holocaust, which is now strictly pro-holocaust-denial.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:12 am UTC

For what it's worth, /r/xkcdcomic is the de facto xkcd community subreddit now.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:53 am UTC

yurell wrote:
addams wrote:I have no idea what that means.
It can't be good.

There are MRAs (Men's Rights Activists) that care about men's rights, and then there are MRAs who just care about preserving their privilege in a sexist and patriarchal system. I believe the insinuation is that the moderator who took over the /r/xkcd subreddit* is one of the latter.

*A subreddit is essentially a different subforum (like 'General' and 'News & Articles' here) where people submit links and textual posts pertinent to the subject of that subreddit. In the case of /r/xkcd, that would be a subforum on the subject of xkcd.

The former do not generally call themselves MRAs though.

Someone who doesn't care about perpetuating their own male privilege will recognise that women face issues and oppression from society orders of magnitude worse and so either identify as feminists or possibly "gender egalitarian" or somehting.

Anyone who thinks that being an activist for men's rights is more important than for women's rights is simply perpetuating their privilege and so falls in the latter category.

You could have someone who identified as a feminist and a men's rights activists who would not fall in the latter category but I suspect people who do are few and far between.
my pronouns are they

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am UTC

Quercus wrote:Lab safety rules have on a regular basis stopped incidents from occurring in the first place, but this is the first time something unexpected happened and bad things were averted by a safety precaution.
Somewhat different to the lab I worked in, where we'd reach into the cooling bath with bare hands to grab crystal containers that we'd dropped.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 am UTC

Adacore wrote: apparently this guy has done it to a lot of subreddits, including /r/holocaust, which is now strictly pro-holocaust-denial.

Sounds like an absolutely lovely gentleman, racist, misogynist and holocaust denier, is there no end to his "refreshing" worldviews. In case it isn't abundantly clear you can whack a great big sarcasm tag on this post.

yurell wrote:There are MRAs (Men's Rights Activists) that care about men's rights, and then there are MRAs who just care about preserving their privilege in a sexist and patriarchal system.

AFAIK the people who care about men's rights properly construed tend to avoid the term MRA, precisely because of this issue. The former group also tend to care about women's rights because, well, if you're a decent person it behoves you to care about everybody's rights. EDIT: ninja'd - completely agree with everything eSOANEM says.

P.S. I've just realised again that I don't have a gender-neutral pronoun I like to use. Singular "they" seems so impersonal, she/he is awkward, and I've yet to see an invented pronoun I like (Zhe, Zher and Zhim are okay, but I've no idea how to pronounce them). Normally I get around it be reconstructing the sentence to avoid the use of pronouns.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:TIL that the /r/xkcd subreddit was taken over by a subreddit-squatting white supremacist MRA mod, now displays prominent links to /r/MensRights and /r/TheRedPill, and attempts by community members to reclaim the sub were unsuccessful despite Randall's endorsement. My respect for reddit in general has dropped by at least 50% since I discovered this.

As distasteful as it is, I .. don't really have a problem with the mechanics behind what allowed that to happen.

Abandoned subreddits (that is, subreddits where the mods have all vanished) should have a mechanism for someone in the community to step up and assume modship.

Reddit should also not be in the business of allowing individuals or organizations throw out the current modstaff and replace them with one they find more palatable.

That in this one instance it's a shitfuck not being kicked out at a (presumably) okay person's request is a sad thing, sure... but it's a hell of a lot better than, for example, allowing Joe Francis to kick out and take over all the various Gone Wild subreddits.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:It's a bit of a milestone for me, being probably the first time that an incident occurred which was prevented from becoming an accident by lab safety rules. Lab safety rules have on a regular basis stopped incidents from occurring in the first place, but this is the first time something unexpected happened and bad things were averted by a safety precaution.

That's a hell of a lesson. I'm glad it happened the (relatively) easy way. It kinda makes me wonder what percentage of safety precautions like this are in place because someone thought long and hard about it, and what percentage are in place as a reaction to an incident.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:
Quercus wrote:It's a bit of a milestone for me, being probably the first time that an incident occurred which was prevented from becoming an accident by lab safety rules. Lab safety rules have on a regular basis stopped incidents from occurring in the first place, but this is the first time something unexpected happened and bad things were averted by a safety precaution.

That's a hell of a lesson. I'm glad it happened the (relatively) easy way. It kinda makes me wonder what percentage of safety precautions like this are in place because someone thought long and hard about it, and what percentage are in place as a reaction to an incident.

You know those Freeze Off wart removers? The instructions warn against using them on or in your genitals or anus. I sincerely hope this was one of those "thought long and hard about" instances.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

So do I, but then again ... Whether the warning was thought about or created as a reaction, I think I still end up with a net loss to my Faith in Humanity.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

As distasteful as it is, I .. don't really have a problem with the mechanics behind what allowed that to happen.

Agreed.

It's also pretty well known that /r/xkcd is run by that person. Posts about it reach the front page every now and then.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:26 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Anyone who thinks that being an activist for men's rights is more important than for women's rights is simply perpetuating their privilege and so falls in the latter category.

I hope you're not suggesting that nobody is allowed to campaign or fight to redress the legitimate grievances of men (you know, like the ones feminists would agree exist) unless they are also fighting for women's issues as well. Supporting the people fighting for women's issues, in the sense of hoping they succeed in their cause as well, sure. But just because someone chooses to focus their energy on one problem instead of another doesn't belittle the other. Otherwise, you might as well complain that anyone who's not also actively campaigning against racism and poverty and ableism and so on and so forth shouldn't campaign for women's rights, because then they're implicitly just perpetuating the privilege of able-bodied wealthy white women. Which is a thing I hear people do complain about, but I think that's harmful. Actively denying the existence of those other issues would be even more harmful, sure, but just focusing your energy on the issues that you choose to focus on, and not taking on the whole world's problems yourself, doesn't mean you're denying the existence of the rest of those problems.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Yablo wrote:

You know those Freeze Off wart removers? The instructions warn against using them on or in your genitals or anus. I sincerely hope this was one of those "thought long and hard about" instances.

One liquid nitrogen rule that I know is in place as a reaction to an accident (basically because before this no-one thought anyone would be stupid enough to need this spelled out) is "don't replace both the main and backup pressure relief systems on a liquid nitrogen cylinder with metal plugs". Full story here. Fairly miraculously no-one was killed or injured in that one.

The most general safety rules, and the most important, are 1) always understand what you are doing and how it can go wrong 2) treat dangerous things with an appropriate degree of respect: high pressure deserves respect, extremes of temperature deserve respect, oxidisers deserve respect, lasers deserve respect, ultracentrifuges deserve respect etc. etc. because if they don't get treated with respect they have a tendency to do bad things to people.

P.S. I highly recommend both the "how not to do it" series, and the "things I won't work with" series from the blog in the link.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:12 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Yablo wrote:

One liquid nitrogen rule that I know is in place as a reaction to an accident (basically because before this no-one thought anyone would be stupid enough to need this spelled out) is "don't replace both the main and backup pressure relief systems on a liquid nitrogen cylinder with metal plugs". Full story here. Fairly miraculously no-one was killed or injured in that one.

The most general safety rules, and the most important, are 1) always understand what you are doing and how it can go wrong 2) treat dangerous things with an appropriate degree of respect: high pressure deserves respect, extremes of temperature deserve respect, oxidisers deserve respect, lasers deserve respect, ultracentrifuges deserve respect etc. etc. because if they don't get treated with respect they have a tendency to do bad things to people.

P.S. I highly recommend both the "how not to do it" series, and the "things I won't work with" series from the blog in the link.

That was an amazing Read.
When things go Wrong it is so very interesting.

Can you imagine?
What was it like to walk into that room?

How can one small tank hold so much energy?
No. Don't tell me. It's the same old Story.

Phase shifts are a powerful force.
That is what the Atomic Bomb is, sort of.

Back on Topic.
It is a Rare Rule that does not follow Tragedy of some kind.

I was in an automobile accident.
After our Crash, a sign was put on that piece of roadway.

In the mountains, 90 degree turns seem to come out of NoWhere.
Signs help.

After someone screws it up.
A sign is installed.

Do we, really, have to tell people, "Hot! Do not pour onto your genatals."
Yes. Yes, we do. Folks don't get out of bed thinking, "I'm going to stick my hand in sulphuic acid."

Like coffee on genatals, this stuff happens because we don't think it can.
Not to us. We brushed our teeth, stopped at the red light, called mom and got to work on time.
Not to us. We are good people doing good things.

Shit can happen to us, too.
Each warning sign is a memorial to those gone before.

Look at what Some Idiot smart enough to be here did!
These signs are Great!

Did I ever tell you about the guy that wanted to Protest the Dangerous Materal Sheets for Water?
He said we should all know.

Know about Water?
Water is so dangerous in a Lab.

We forget.
By Law we must have reminders.

Water over There---->
<-----Salts over There.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Anyone who thinks that being an activist for men's rights is more important than for women's rights is simply perpetuating their privilege and so falls in the latter category.

I hope you're not suggesting that nobody is allowed to campaign or fight to redress the legitimate grievances of men (you know, like the ones feminists would agree exist) unless they are also fighting for women's issues as well. Supporting the people fighting for women's issues, in the sense of hoping they succeed in their cause as well, sure. But just because someone chooses to focus their energy on one problem instead of another doesn't belittle the other. Otherwise, you might as well complain that anyone who's not also actively campaigning against racism and poverty and ableism and so on and so forth shouldn't campaign for women's rights, because then they're implicitly just perpetuating the privilege of able-bodied wealthy white women. Which is a thing I hear people do complain about, but I think that's harmful. Actively denying the existence of those other issues would be even more harmful, sure, but just focusing your energy on the issues that you choose to focus on, and not taking on the whole world's problems yourself, doesn't mean you're denying the existence of the rest of those problems.

No, I'm just suggesting that those people will probably identify (idealogically) as feminist even if they do happen to be more actively involved in issues affecting men (although there are actually very few instances where society treats men worse than women and I've yet to find an example of one of those where it isn't ultimately due to misogyny).
my pronouns are they

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Abandoned subreddits (that is, subreddits where the mods have all vanished) should have a mechanism for someone in the community to step up and assume modship.

I agree there should be a mechanism for people to assume modship in the case of absent mods, that's fine. But I also think there should be a mechanism to reassign modship in the case that a mod is not representative of the community in that sub. From what I've seen about it (which admittedly may be biased), the new mods in cases like this are frequently not proactive moderators and don't actually help improve the subreddits they take over, they just suppress free speech on that sub, and post just enough to not be automatically removed. This is what I don't understand - the arguments I've seen for allowing anyone to take over any sub appear to be based on a principle of allowing free speech, but in the cases I've looked at it seems that free speech is being actively suppressed.

I should not be able to go find an active, yet not actively moderated, subreddit explicitly about Chilean goat farming and, with no knowledge or interest in Chile, goats or farming, take over the sub and use it to promote my interest in interstellar space travel, and remove any posts by people who try to promote an alternative sub about goat farming. It's just nonsensical to me that that kind of behaviour is allowed.

EDIT: I guess I very strongly believe that moderators in all online venues should be impartial arbiters, and representative of the community they serve. If a moderator uses their powers to actively promote a partisan agenda which is not completely supported by that community, whatever that agenda may be, they should not be allowed to hold moderator positions. Impartial neutrality is very, very important to me for anyone involved in dispute resolution.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 am UTC

Two problems I see right off the top of my head.

The first is - who defines what is and is not the community? Who defines what the community wants and what it doesn't want?

The second is - reverse it. You have your interstellar subreddit that you run and moderate, then a ton of Chilean goat farmers show up, start talking about their goats and then petition to have you removed as you no longer represent the community nor have it's interests in mind.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:22 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The first is - who defines what is and is not the community? Who defines what the community wants and what it doesn't want?

Also - who is going to moderate this? Are there going to have to be people at Reddit who are in charge of arbitrating disputes between the communities and their moderators? I don't visit Reddit very often (if I can help it) but the impression I get is that each sub is supposed to be its own separate little thing, and Reddit basically lets them alone for the most part as much as possible. Everything, from the community rating system, to the process of creating a new sub, to adding moderators... it's all automated stuff that doesn't involve the input from anyone at Reddit HQ. If indeed "Reddit HQ" is even a thing, and not just a couple of sysadmins who keep the site up and running and other than that basically don't give a damn. I dunno, and don't care overmuch.

That these automated procedures are abusable is... inevitable, really. But if your suggestion to fix it is "they need to get rid of some of the automation, and get a human in charge of Reddit into the loop" then that suggestion seems really unlikely to happen given the culture on that site. And is probably completely infeasible given the site's size.

You can suggest different automated procedures that are less abusable, and that would be useful... but nothing comes immediately to mind.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 am UTC

Hired assassins.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 am UTC

phlip wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:The first is - who defines what is and is not the community? Who defines what the community wants and what it doesn't want?

Also - who is going to moderate this? Are there going to have to be people at Reddit who are in charge of arbitrating disputes between the communities and their moderators? I don't visit Reddit very often (if I can help it) but the impression I get is that each sub is supposed to be its own separate little thing, and Reddit basically lets them alone for the most part as much as possible. Everything, from the community rating system, to the process of creating a new sub, to adding moderators... it's all automated stuff that doesn't involve the input from anyone at Reddit HQ. If indeed "Reddit HQ" is even a thing, and not just a couple of sysadmins who keep the site up and running and other than that basically don't give a damn. I dunno, and don't care overmuch.

Listened to an interview with a Reddit founder. Dude stated and restated that first and foremost, they built a platform and have little interest in looking in to the subreddits themselves, outside of what could get them in trouble.

But if you had a better method of a community recovering a subreddit that's lost it's mods without allowing interlopers to take a sub by force, the Reddit admins would love to hear it.

The root problem isn't the MRA dickhead taking over - the root problem is the /r/xkcd community not giving enough of a fuck to make sure the mods were active and paying attention so that wouldn't happen. When the. Ida vanished, someone should have stepped up. MRA asshole did. No one else did.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:08 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
phlip wrote:

Listened to an interview with a Reddit founder. Dude stated and restated that first and foremost, they built a platform and have little interest in looking in to the subreddits themselves, outside of what could get them in trouble.

But if you had a better method of a community recovering a subreddit that's lost it's mods without allowing interlopers to take a sub by force, the Reddit admins would love to hear it.

The root problem isn't the MRA dickhead taking over - the root problem is the /r/xkcd community not giving enough of a fuck to make sure the mods were active and paying attention so that wouldn't happen. When the. Ida vanished, someone should have stepped up. MRA asshole did. No one else did.

It has xkcd's name on it.
Maybe, we (or I) should take some interest.

If it is going to be flying the Flag of Science, Romance and ...umm.
Darn..
A webcomic of romance,
sarcasm, math, and language.

Well...Flying the Flag of Sarcasm?
(shrug) I know nothing about Sarcasm nor Reddit.

Still... A link from Here to There might be fun.
In the Time Thread. We can All go visit.

Time will Moderate the Hell out of a Reddit Sub-Forum.
(what ever that is.)

Would that be funny?
Time sashaying in with Kangaroos, Cake and Links to Josephine Baker.

If the complains are True, Time will sprinkle the Tough Guy with Magic Sprinkles and the King Troll will become a simple Rat, again.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Kristen23

Postby Kristen23 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:29 am UTC

For me, learning everyday means reading a new quote every morning. So this morning I learned:
'Take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves.'

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

Kristen23 wrote:For me, learning everyday means reading a new quote every morning. So this morning I learned:
'Take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves.'

What do we Really know about such things?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-mikuji

A long time ago, people decided to follow one set of advice and not a different set of advice?

Where do we find good Quotes?
I am so old, we used Books.

And; Fortune Cookies.
To this very day, some Fortune Cookies seem to fit in some strange way.

Stupid Story:

Spoiler:
(but it's True.)

I had eaten lunch with a Friend.
We opened our Fortune Cookies.

We were both Puzzled.
We read our Fortunes to one another.

We swapped Fortunes.
Then it all made sense.

Where will you get your Bright Ideas, today?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 pm UTC

Took a pilots lesson today, it was awesome! The instructor had a Masters in biology so we were talking science as we were talking aviation and I took the plane in circles and climbed up and dove and he showed me a stall which was neat and a bit frightening.

Then I learned why you shouldn't stare at your instruments while flying a small wobbly Cessna in fairly windy conditions. And how quickly I can open a side window into delightfully cool 80 knot winds, and more importantly, why barfing past your shoulder is key.

And how much barf a single sandwich can produce.

I felt so bad, that instructor was such a cool dude, I felt like I was doing such a good job and then... baaaaaaarf x 5. At least I got 99% of it out of the plane. My shoulder is the 1%.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Took a pilots lesson today, it was awesome! The instructor had a Masters in biology so we were talking science as we were talking aviation and I took the plane in circles and climbed up and dove and he showed me a stall which was neat and a bit frightening.

Then I learned why you shouldn't stare at your instruments while flying a small wobbly Cessna in fairly windy conditions. And how quickly I can open a side window into delightfully cool 80 knot winds, and more importantly, why barfing past your shoulder is key.

And how much barf a single sandwich can produce.

I felt so bad, that instructor was such a cool dude, I felt like I was doing such a good job and then... baaaaaaarf x 5. At least I got 99% of it out of the plane. My shoulder is the 1%.

Awesome (well, minus the throwing up). I used to fly gliders (had to put that on hold due to lack of time), and it's a really incredible feeling. I've never flown a powered plane though.

If you get the chance I really recommend taking a glider for a spin (not literally, at least not on your first flight) - it's so peaceful and quiet, and the controls are directly connected to the control surfaces with push-rods, so with no engine to get in the way you can really feel all the movements of the air. If you dip your right wing into a mass of rising air you can feel the leftward pressure on the stick and right wing trying to rise. The air stops being an abstract medium and becomes an absolutely concrete thing, with moods and movement and patterns.

Agree with stalls being a bit scary - it's the "oh god this plane is not actually flying any more" realization that freaks me out.

Return to “General”