Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tomlidich

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:00 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Felstaff wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:"are you being served?" [...] monty python offshoot

Now I know you're fucking with us.

In a few months, I think forums.xkcd.com will end up like the Bloody Board, with Tomlidich as it's Jamie Marsters.

ummmmm....... what?

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:22 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:TIL: People walk in V-shapes

.... What. I thought this was common knowledge! I needed to practice staying in position in the V for years, otherwise I get squeezed out and people forget I'm there. Eventually I just gave up, and now when I'm in the group people walk in a Y.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 am UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:In a few months, I think forums.xkcd.com will end up like the Bloody Board, with Tomlidich as it's Jamie Marsters.

ummmmm....... what?

A forum for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Consisted of one user, replying to their own topics endlessly. Posted thirty-seven thousand six hundred fifty times over six years (as of the found article’s writing).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Tom, I'm pretty sure you're me. We're going through a similar period of personal growth, of finding out that we were wrong about things we took for granted. A lot of that does indeed have to do with the fact that we've had a small number of friends. The difference is that I'm going through this at age 16 rather than 19.

I've been ignorant on this forum, but those times were of a higher concentration and lesser volume than yours.

Still, it's interesting to see someone else in this situation given my generally limited perspective.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 am UTC

Oooooh. It's a BtVS board, and... James Marsters...

I should've realized this when I heard about the Bloody Board the first time.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:TIL: ST is a splicer, and thus cannot satisfy a woman

Yeah, but boy howdy do I try.

Related: I am the second greatest lover in the universe.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:48 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:Related: I am the second greatest lover in the universe.

Because obviously my fiance is the greatest! MMM-mmmmmmmm.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:52 am UTC

Cathy wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Related: I am the second greatest lover in the universe.

Because obviously my fiance is the greatest! MMM-mmmmmmmm.

Indeed. Now, you might be thinking, why choose me?

I try harder.

Shamelessly stolen joke.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 am UTC

ST is a root vegetable? *sings* "Take me as a yam!"

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Huh, pressing "Display this post" for someone you have foed will refresh the thread, bringing the posts of anyone who's posted since the thread was opened with it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:ST is a root vegetable? *sings* "Take me as a yam!"

Well... alright. But you're going to hate the marshmallows.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

TIL the electronic ordering system here has a price code for "hardware and crockery".
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:32 am UTC

TIL: Intel employs anthropologists. This shouldn't really surprise me, I guess, but I never thought about it before.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

TIL - You can put metal objects in a microwave with no consequences.

I learned this while heating up leftover fajitas (mmm) which unbeknownst to me still had a spoon in.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

If I recall my Mythbusters correctly: it has to do with the morphology of the object. Things like forks and balls of crumpled aluminum have metal points near each other that allow electricity to arc. A spoon is a smooth shape with no such points.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

I think some microwavable meals actually have small layers of metal to help in heating.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

This is a bad bad thing. I have seen microwaves blown to the great Currys in the sky by people forgetting metal objects in there meals. I would chalk it up to luck if I were you.

ibgdude

Postby ibgdude » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

No, hot pockets does that on purpose. they use metal coated plastic packaging to crisp the hot pocket. Honestly, millions must be put in microwaves a year, and I've never heard of microwave explosions due to hot pockets. Also, take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Microwave_metal_shelf.JPG
Hawknc wrote:This is the easiest question ever asked on the forum, and you guys turn it into a two-page debate.

...Don't ever change.

Six pages and still going.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Some metal items are microwave-safe. Some of these items may depend on the radiation pattern in the microwave, and be safe in certain microwave ovens but not all.

But let's get this straight, broken microwave ovens are dangerous. The mere possibility of them blowing up is enough reason to stay on the safe side. Microwaves frequently contain beryllium, which is an asbestos-like carcinogen that can do nasty things to your lungs.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

See this is why I was unimpressed when my flatmates at uni decided to microwave metal baubles.
I think they may have also microwaved tin foil. I wasn't present, or I would have stopped them.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:02 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Some metal items are microwave-safe. Some of these items may depend on the radiation pattern in the microwave, and be safe in certain microwave ovens but not all.

But let's get this straight, broken microwave ovens are dangerous. The mere possibility of them blowing up is enough reason to stay on the safe side. Microwaves frequently contain beryllium, which is an asbestos-like carcinogen that can do nasty things to your lungs.

Is beryllium really that bad? I have been mending an old oscilloscope which has a transistor connected to its heat sink by a beryllium pad.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am UTC

Little snippet from the CDC about beryllium:
CDC wrote:Beryllium can be harmful if you breathe it. The effects depend on how much you are exposed to and for how long.
Long term exposure to beryllium can increase the risk of developing lung cancer in people.
People working or living near beryllium industries have the greatest potential for exposure to beryllium. Lung damage has been observed in people exposed to high levels of beryllium in the air. About 1-15% of all people occupationally-exposed to beryllium in air become sensitive to beryllium and may develop chronic beryllium disease (CBD), an irreversible and sometimes fatal scarring of the lungs.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:21 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Some metal items are microwave-safe. Some of these items may depend on the radiation pattern in the microwave, and be safe in certain microwave ovens but not all.

Is beryllium really that bad? I have been mending an old oscilloscope which has a transistor connected to its heat sink by a beryllium pad.

It's really beryllium dust inhalation that's dangerous. Unless you've been drilling in the beryllium pad (or smashing it), you've probably not been exposed.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 am UTC

*I am a non-attorney spokesperson"

If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma...
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:33 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:Is beryllium really that bad? I have been mending an old oscilloscope which has a transistor connected to its heat sink by a beryllium pad.

It's not good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_poisoning wrote:The toxicity of beryllium depends upon the duration, intensity and frequency of exposure (features of dose), as well as the form of beryllium and the route of exposure (i.e. inhalation, dermal, ingestion). According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), beryllium and beryllium compounds are Category 1 carcinogens; they are carcinogenic to both animals and humans.[1]

Chronic berylliosis is a pulmonary and systemic granulomatous disease caused by exposure to beryllium. Acute beryllium disease in the form of chemical pneumonitis was first reported in Europe in 1933 and in the United States in 1943. Cases of chronic berylliosis were first described in 1946 among workers in plants manufacturing fluorescent lamps in Salem, Massachusetts.[2] Chronic berylliosis resembles sarcoidosis in many respects, and the differential diagnosis is often difficult. It occasionally killed early workers in nuclear weapons design, such as Herbert L. Anderson.[3]

Although the use of beryllium compounds in fluorescent lighting tubes was discontinued in 1949, potential for exposure to beryllium exists in the nuclear and aerospace industries and in the refining of beryllium metal and melting of beryllium-containing alloys, the manufacturing of electronic devices, and the handling of other beryllium-containing material.

Early researchers tasted beryllium and its various compounds for sweetness in order to verify its presence. Modern diagnostic equipment no longer necessitates this highly risky procedure and no attempt should be made to ingest this highly toxic substance. Beryllium and its compounds should be handled with great care and special precautions must be taken when carrying out any activity which could result in the release of beryllium dust (lung cancer is a possible result of prolonged exposure to beryllium laden dust).

This substance can be handled safely if certain procedures are followed. No attempt should be made to work with beryllium before familiarization with correct handling procedures.

Aiea

Postby Aiea » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:42 am UTC

Today I learned that it's impossible to talk sense into a drunk. Even when they say they agree with you and call you the sense of reason and a wonderful friend, they're still going to go back and get another drink.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:34 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
Ptolom wrote:Is beryllium really that bad? I have been mending an old oscilloscope which has a transistor connected to its heat sink by a beryllium pad.

It's not good.
Spoiler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_poisoning wrote:The toxicity of beryllium depends upon the duration, intensity and frequency of exposure (features of dose), as well as the form of beryllium and the route of exposure (i.e. inhalation, dermal, ingestion). According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), beryllium and beryllium compounds are Category 1 carcinogens; they are carcinogenic to both animals and humans.[1]

Chronic berylliosis is a pulmonary and systemic granulomatous disease caused by exposure to beryllium. Acute beryllium disease in the form of chemical pneumonitis was first reported in Europe in 1933 and in the United States in 1943. Cases of chronic berylliosis were first described in 1946 among workers in plants manufacturing fluorescent lamps in Salem, Massachusetts.[2] Chronic berylliosis resembles sarcoidosis in many respects, and the differential diagnosis is often difficult. It occasionally killed early workers in nuclear weapons design, such as Herbert L. Anderson.[3]

Although the use of beryllium compounds in fluorescent lighting tubes was discontinued in 1949, potential for exposure to beryllium exists in the nuclear and aerospace industries and in the refining of beryllium metal and melting of beryllium-containing alloys, the manufacturing of electronic devices, and the handling of other beryllium-containing material.

Early researchers tasted beryllium and its various compounds for sweetness in order to verify its presence. Modern diagnostic equipment no longer necessitates this highly risky procedure and no attempt should be made to ingest this highly toxic substance. Beryllium and its compounds should be handled with great care and special precautions must be taken when carrying out any activity which could result in the release of beryllium dust (lung cancer is a possible result of prolonged exposure to beryllium laden dust).

This substance can be handled safely if certain procedures are followed. No attempt should be made to work with beryllium before familiarization with correct handling procedures.

Well, I'm not actually disturbing the beryllium itself, just the heatsink it's stuck on. I'll try to avoid tasting it though.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:05 pm UTC

Aiea wrote:Today I learned that it's impossible to talk sense into a drunk. Even when they say they agree with you and call you the sense of reason and a wonderful friend, they're still going to go back and get another drink.

I talked a drunk guy out of starting a fight with another drunk guy once. Though my long-winded speech about how that would be a bad idea may have just distracted him long enough that he forgot what he was so pissed off about.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Well, I'm not actually disturbing the beryllium itself, just the heatsink it's stuck on. I'll try to avoid tasting it though.

Actually you could probably eat it since you don't really absorb it enough through digestion. I've heard it can cause rashes or ulcers on cuts though.

Kang

Postby Kang » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:
Ptolom wrote:Well, I'm not actually disturbing the beryllium itself, just the heatsink it's stuck on. I'll try to avoid tasting it though.

Actually you could probably eat it since you don't really absorb it enough through digestion. I've heard it can cause rashes or ulcers on cuts though.

Wasn't there something about eating plutonium being fairly safe actually, but inhaling the dust made you go?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:06 am UTC

TIL: A sizable number of people still play Homefront. That was kind of a nice surprise.

TIalsoL: Apparently the only way to change your credit card on Steam is to pretend to buy something then back out before the purchase goes through.

TIL the third: Glocks don't have a safety. Apparently they fancy themselves double-action but kind of aren't.
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:11 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:TIL: A sizable number of people still play Homefront. That was kind of a nice surprise.

Wikipedia wrote:Release date(s)
NA March 15, 2011
AU March 17, 2011
EU March 18, 2011
JP April 14, 2011

What!?
How can that even slightly be surprising in.. but.. with... aaarrrgghhh!

You kids today with your hippity hop and your bookfaces and your surprise at games released not even eight months ago still being played....
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:48 am UTC

I'm surprised because as far as I know it wasn't received very well, and with only a couple of game modes and a handful of maps I wasn't expecting people to continue playing it for very long after the hype died down and people jumped back to Modern Warfare, Battlefield and Counter-Strike. Hell, the only reason I popped it back in again was because a map pack came out recently and I wanted to see if it would be worth buying it or if I'd be sitting in lobbies for 20 minutes waiting for those three other people in my state that enjoyed it to log on.
--Flobots "Mayday"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 am UTC

Whenever I hear talk of wondering if people still play $game, I always wonder if anyone still plays tribes.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 am UTC

People still play Age of Empires 1 and 2 online. But then again, who can blame them?

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

I still play Baldur's Gate.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:People still play Age of Empires 1 and 2 online. But then again, who can blame them?

Aiiiewo wololo... wololo...

FUCK! MY HOPLITES!

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

I remember doing a big LAN game my senior year in high school. First game, a guy took the civ with the good horse archers, then slowly used that ability to win the game. The next game, I took those guys, ignored pretty much every other tech, and dumped everything into better arrows and horse technology. Destroyed all 7 opponents in about 15 minutes. The third game they made it an island map so I couldn't do that, then ganged up on me.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chum

Postby Chum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

YIL that when I go to a concert of a band I'm actually a fan of, whose music I know by heart, rather than going to a show where I don't know ANY of the music....I actually have a fantastic time.
Who'da thunk it?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Chum wrote:YIL that when I go to a concert of a band I'm actually a fan of, whose music I know by heart, rather than going to a show where I don't know ANY of the music....I actually have a fantastic time.
Who'da thunk it?

makes sense. It would explain why I was bored stiff at the last concert I was at.

Return to “General”