Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TaintedDeity

Re: Today I Learned

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

roband wrote:ST - you're the only one so far who hasn't been outright rude to Tom. The ones who want to be seen to brownnose you because you've been here a long time? Yeah, that's an issue for me.
I was outright rude to tom?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

I like how I was told in PM to "be gentler".
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Felstaff wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Dunno. 19 seems pretty typical.

It's all down hill once you update your vote to the 22-25 bracket :-(

However, the thread is several years old. I would guess a hefty proportion--the majority perhaps--of original voters to have "upped the bracket" so to speak, and switched allegiances to their vote after striking a deal with Father Time.

I re-voted in that thread when I turned 22, and assumed everyone else did the same.
I hadn't... but have now! I've no desire to be at the upper end of the bell curve just yet. I discovered my previous vote was in the '18-21' range although I'm now 25! Scary shit. I'm like, ageing.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:34 am UTC

roband shall be awarded the Honorable Medal of Bravery and Public Justice (about 2 cm wide, aluminum) for his service in the defense of insufferable posters. *salutes*
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:05 am UTC

Hey, I was 19 once!

TIL: plastering a box with "fragile" stickers on a 30 minute flight does absolutely nothing.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:09 am UTC

True fact. My guitar's body has a small part chipped away. Thank you, airline! Pic of it:
Spoiler:
It really is quite minor, but I had just bought the guitar two days before the flight.
she/her

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Your guitar pic is huge, NieXS. And it looks awesome too, shame on them!
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 am UTC

Steax wrote:Hey, I was 19 once!

TIL: plastering a box with "fragile" stickers on a 30 minute flight does absolutely nothing.

Should have put some padding in that box instead of stickers; a rookie mistake! :wink:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 am UTC

If your flying with something really fragile try at all costs to take it on as a carry on. They've let me take some wierd bulky things through just because they are fragile. Paintings can be stuck in the first class coat rack if you ask a steward nicely.

No reason for the guitar to have gotten chipped when it was in a case. That's just balls.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

today i learned: getting credit to buy a car at the age of 19 is not easy.
damn age discrimination.......

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:today i learned: getting credit to buy a car at the age of 19 is not easy.
damn age discrimination.......

It might not be purely age-related. There are credit checks/lines of credit and other such things of which you presumably have none.

In other news, I flew to Ecuador 2 years ago and when I went to pick up my luggage in Quito, I found my guitar upside down on the floor between two conveyor belts with a MASSIVE chunk out of the hard case. Luckily the guitar was undamaged, but... fuck. A piece about the size of your fist, assuming you have medium-sized hands.

EDIT: Tom I totally misread your post and thought it said 'credit card' and not just 'credit', so... you can kind of ignore what I said.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

yeah, so basically if i want to buy a new car i need either: pay in full or: two lines of credit for about three years.
i have one credit card now, and hope to apply for another soon, but dang its tough to get ahead at this age, noone wants to trust me. even though i have held down the same job for four years now.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

Is there anyone you know that would co-sign? My step-dad co-signed my first car loan (granted, it was small and for a used card), but it's worth looking into.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Is there anyone you know that would co-sign? My step-dad co-signed my first car loan (granted, it was small and for a used card), but it's worth looking into.

i really don't like the idea of co-signing, wouldn't want to screw someone else over if i messed up, lost my job, etc. plus its sort of a pride thing to be able to finance it on my own power.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

I get the first one, but for the second one, wouldn't be being trustworthy enough to have someone agree to be your cosigner be a point of pride?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I get the first one, but for the second one, wouldn't be being trustworthy enough to have someone agree to be your cosigner be a point of pride?

i guess that is a pretty good point.

but being able to support myself is one thing i value over everything else. i don't like having to depend on others for help constantly, its just shameful. its bad enough i still live in my parents house.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

You're 19, that's not so bad.

When I was 18 I went to college for a year, then decided to take a break because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do, so I came back home and live with my parents for about a year. Eventually joined the Army. When I came back home, I lived at home for about another 6 months until I started college again. Even then I came home during the summers.

I wasn't living completely on my own until my last year of college when I was 24.

It's great wanting to support yourself, but there's no shame in asking for help, especially when it's something tough to do by yourself -- like get your very first car loan at 19.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

really? so the idea that im supposed to have my own place, car, and be already self sufficient was a lie? anyone else concur with this? when did you become self sustaining?
excuse me, i have some people to *cough* talk to.....

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

I'm also 19 and while I too wish I had my own place I know hardly anyone my age can afford it, especially those of us who are studying.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

so in reality, the cool, self dependent life style we are all expected to have just is not possible unless your rich beyond belief.

some people are getting a stern talking to about misleading youth....

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

Eh, it's going to vary from person to person.

I've known people to be completely self-sufficient at 15. Some people are 30 and still live with the folks.

Everyone's circumstances are different.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

I'm 20 and still live at home. I did an extra year of high school to study in Ecuador through my school board, and am now on my 2nd year of full-time work to save for higher education. I would like nothing more than to not live at home but it simply isn't practical. I bike to work everyday because a car is a money-vacuum, and when it's raining especially hard I bug my parents for a pick up. I've got about 10 more months of this before I can go to school.

I don't think any of this is especially strange, or any reason to feel shitty. I guess if you had no goals/ambitions and were loafting through on your parents dime it would be shitty, but... yeah. What's ideal and what's realistic are very different things.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that if you have the luxury of living rent-free a little while longer at home, capitalize on it and don't let idiots shame you for it.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:I'm 20 and still live at home. I did an extra year of high school to study in Ecuador through my school board, and am now on my 2nd year of full-time work to save for higher education. I would like nothing more than to not live at home but it simply isn't practical. I bike to work everyday because a car is a money-vacuum, and when it's raining especially hard I bug my parents for a pick up. I've got about 10 more months of this before I can go to school.

I don't think any of this is especially strange, or any reason to feel shitty. I guess if you had no goals/ambitions and were loafting through on your parents dime it would be shitty, but... yeah. What's ideal and what's realistic are very different things.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that if you have the luxury of living rent-free a little while longer at home, capitalize on it and don't let idiots shame you for it.

this all makes a heap of sense.

so then why is there so much pressure to move out? i constantly hear people joke about still living in the parents house having something to do with immaturity and "uncoolness" or some other word for that.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

Why is there any sort of pressure to reach an arbitrary milestone? Do what you need to do. Will a car grant you more independence in the long run? Are you reasonably sure of your job? Then go for it. Whatever makes you happy.

For the record, I moved out at 22, but I'm sharing with the boyfriend, had a huge amount of luck job-wise, and I hate my parents so was willing to beg/borrow/steal/sell stuff in order to get out.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:so then why is there so much pressure to move out? i constantly hear people joke about still living in the parents house having something to do with immaturity and "uncoolness" or some other word for that.

I think the general point of that whole idea is that bringing along a boy- or girlfriend to a place you share with your parents will make for fairly awkward conversations. Keep that thought in a comfy place, water it regularly and you end up with a beautiful stereotype of people living with their parents because they are socially inept forcing them to become computer-interested nerds which by stereotype regression makes them lame losers with no worth whatsoever.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

Kang wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:so then why is there so much pressure to move out? i constantly hear people joke about still living in the parents house having something to do with immaturity and "uncoolness" or some other word for that.

I think the general point of that whole idea is that bringing along a boy- or girlfriend to a place you share with your parents will make for fairly awkward conversations. Keep that thought in a comfy place, water it regularly and you end up with a beautiful stereotype of people living with their parents because they are socially inept forcing them to become computer-interested nerds which by stereotype regression makes them lame losers with no worth whatsoever.

i think we have a winner here.

i can see that happening. but really, whats so bad about it? i like my family, doesn't everyone else like theirs as well?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:i can see that happening. but really, whats so bad about it? i like my family, doesn't everyone else like theirs as well?
...seriously?

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:i can see that happening. but really, whats so bad about it? i like my family, doesn't everyone else like theirs as well?
...seriously?

yeah, my family is great. i just don't get why this whole stereotype situation came up when a: everyone else is in the same predicament and b: assumedly, most people have families. is it just me then that doesn't hate my parents and sibling?

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Hey, I was 19 once.
Me too! Small world.

I moved out when I was 17 (because of going to college in a different town), but I'm still not entirely (financially) independent at 24. My parents pay my health insurance for me, and they paid most of my college fees and books. To fully support myself through college I would have to either take out large(r) student loans or work a lot more which probably would've slowed down my education. As soon as I get a proper job* I'll gently cut them off from giving me any moneys at all, but I'm happy with the support they've given me through the years.

And in the ninjas: I like my family, but I can't stand living with them. Especially my mom and I get along so much better when I'm home for a weekend rather than all the time.

*[DEITY] LET IT BE SOON PLEASE
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Yeah... uh, my family's pretty bad if I'm around them for more than a few days. And by family, I mean my dad. Verbally abusive asshole.

TIL My little brother's actually got a pretty good head on his shoulders. I was talking to him about future and his girlfriend and college and whatever, and even though he doesn't really have a plan, he's a hell of a lot more sensible than I was at 18. (almost 3 whole years ago, oh noes)

TIL that nursing school is ridiculously hard, my Mom's going nuts studying for it.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

It isn't at all about whether you like your family. It's just that living with somebody else always means you have to compromise on things with them. For some people it's fairly easy to do that with their parents and for some it's not. Parents, more than any other roommate you might have, do watch you a bit, which even when meant well does involve a lot of judging and 'advising', which does not always make it easier to take one's own decisions in life. Something along those lines. Obviously if you don't get along with (parts of) your family too well for various reasons (like making a few of those life decisions without caring much for what they think; that's a classic) it just doesn't get much easier by that.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
...seriously?

The word of the day is "privilege"
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:
...seriously?

The word of the day is "privilege"

i thought today's word was "cheeseburger"
mmmm cheeseburger.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

The declaration that anything is 'of the day' without qualifier is inherently flawed.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:The declaration that anything is 'of the day' without qualifier is inherently flawed.

this is the new statement of the day.

ironically, this also makes this recursion of the day.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

However, TMT had an unstated qualifier in the context of this board's culture, and that was 'this is a concept that you should look at'/

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Pare interrumpiendo mi regadera ducha y yo pararé arañarle en el ojo. Es una lección sencilla.

No te enojes conmigo; las faltas gramaticales no me gustan.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:21 am UTC

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Kang wrote:It isn't at all about whether you like your family. It's just that living with somebody else always means you have to compromise on things with them.

This is very true. It was astonishingly easy for me to live in the same apartment as my fiance, whereas living with several female roommates in a dorm didn't work at all. You can like a person and not be able to stand living with them.

And, Oh me yarm, that bueno guy is scary.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:24 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:I hadn't... but have now! I've no desire to be at the upper end of the bell curve just yet. I discovered my previous vote was in the '18-21' range although I'm now 25! Scary shit. I'm like, ageing.

I looked at your join date and thought you'd jumped through time... But no, the math works out. :P Carry on.

Return to “General”