Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cloud Walker

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 am UTC

TheStrongest wrote:Today I learned about this.

Freaky, ain't it?

Awesome, more like it.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:32 am UTC

I'd much rather have some sort of pill than have to have a needle jammed anywhere near that region. But hey, I'm not having sex, my vote really doesn't count for much.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:05 am UTC

The needle works for "at least 10 years". Pills don't. Needle, please!
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

TIL that Alt-Gr works on all keys, even those that don't mention anything. TIAL that Alt-Gr + Shift + some key also returns a character. How did it take me this long to discover this?

PS: this may be OS dependent .
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:The needle works for "at least 10 years". Pills don't. Needle, please!

Is it reversible though? 10 years is a long freaking time, plus it's "at least 10 years". Do you know for sure you'll want it going 12 years from now? Even 5 years is a huge amount of time - things change.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

It can be 'flushed out' with another injection...

Still, needles near manparts doesn't interest me at all.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Is it reversible though? 10 years is a long freaking time, plus it's "at least 10 years". Do you know for sure you'll want it going 12 years from now? Even 5 years is a huge amount of time - things change.

Luckily the very first part of the acronym (RISUG) stands for reversible. So yes, it is reversible. :D

TheStrongest

Postby TheStrongest » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Yeah, no needles are going near my junk. Give me the old fashioned rubber please.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:Does anyone else find that low blood sugar leaves them nauseous, and not wanting to eat?

I tend to get low blood sugar when it's warm and I'm out in the sun for a little. This means that I always have something on me to eat - typically mini clif bars or granola bars.

I have two reactions when my blood sugar drops: either I can't stop thinking about eating things, or the very notion of eating make me want to vomit. However, once I manage to get a bit of food past my initial gag reflex, I start to feel better almost immediately and then am ok with eating the rest of the bar.

In cases when I can't get food down, I try to get some sprite/7up/whatever as soon as possible. (Heavily flavored things like Gatorade or other pops are still difficult to get down at that point) It's very frustrating when the only kind in the vending machines are diet. Also annoying when someone tells me pop will dehydrate me and cause me to be even more faint. I know! But the biggest thing is sugar right now! Then I'll drink the water!

Looking back at this, it occurs to me I might have a problem. Maybe I should talk to a doctor. :?

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

I use apple juice, sugary and healthy.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

TIL that when I order something online, I can just have it delivered to a UPS Store. There's a $5 fee, but I'd get my packages faster and wouldn't have to worry about going through all the shit I did this morning again.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:16 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
Whelan wrote:Does anyone else find that low blood sugar leaves them nauseous, and not wanting to eat?

I tend to get low blood sugar when it's warm and I'm out in the sun for a little. This means that I always have something on me to eat - typically mini clif bars or granola bars.

I have two reactions when my blood sugar drops: either I can't stop thinking about eating things, or the very notion of eating make me want to vomit. However, once I manage to get a bit of food past my initial gag reflex, I start to feel better almost immediately and then am ok with eating the rest of the bar.

In cases when I can't get food down, I try to get some sprite/7up/whatever as soon as possible. (Heavily flavored things like Gatorade or other pops are still difficult to get down at that point) It's very frustrating when the only kind in the vending machines are diet. Also annoying when someone tells me pop will dehydrate me and cause me to be even more faint. I know! But the biggest thing is sugar right now! Then I'll drink the water!

Looking back at this, it occurs to me I might have a problem. Maybe I should talk to a doctor. :?

Fizzy drinks aren't an ideal way to deal with a hypo on their own. It'll raise your blood sugar levels very quickly, but it also wears off very quickly and you'll crash again. You really need to follow it up with something solid. I have no idea what a clif or granola bar is, but they'll probably do if they contain carbohydrate (and I've never heard of a bar of anything that isn't carb-heavy). A piece of fruit would be better.

As for going to a doctor, that's your call. If you're getting hypos frequently (like, more than a few times a year), it might indicate a problem or it might not. It could just be you're not eating enough or exercising too heavily.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Fizzy drinks aren't an ideal way to deal with a hypo on their own. It'll raise your blood sugar levels very quickly, but it also wears off very quickly and you'll crash again. You really need to follow it up with something solid. I have no idea what a clif or granola bar is, but they'll probably do if they contain carbohydrate (and I've never heard of a bar of anything that isn't carb-heavy). A piece of fruit would be better.

As for going to a doctor, that's your call. If you're getting hypos frequently (like, more than a few times a year), it might indicate a problem or it might not. It could just be you're not eating enough or exercising too heavily.

Oh yeah, the pop is just to make it so I can get food down. Once my blood sugar is a bit higher, eating doesn't seem like the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of the human race.

Where on earth are you that they don't have granola bars???? I thought that was a universal type thing. Or at least it should be! A clif bar is a brand of energy bars commonly used for backpacking. They contain more nutrients than a granola bar and work better for me.

Fruit may work a bit better, but I've yet to have access to fruit when my blood sugar drops!

Oh, and I guess:

TIL that granola bars aren't known world-wide.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:44 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I have no idea what a clif or granola bar is...

Wikipedia claims that it's called a "flapjack" over there.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

Nah, Granola bars taste like crap and leave your mouth as dry as cardboard. Flapjack's nice.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

flapjacks are sweet cake like things, generally with a buttery/syrupy taste, and are rather enjoyable

granola bars are more like eating drywall or plasterboard
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

You're apparently eating the wrong granola bars.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

quite possibly, as they are cheap ones from Tesco. Flapjacks are still amazing though
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

Courtesy of work, today I learned that it'd take over 1.5 billion Jelly Babies to fill the Statue of Liberty.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

It Should Be Real wrote:Courtesy of work, today I learned that it'd take over 1.5 billion Jelly Babies to fill the Statue of Liberty.

Is... is that what your job is?

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
It Should Be Real wrote:Courtesy of work, today I learned that it'd take over 1.5 billion Jelly Babies to fill the Statue of Liberty.

Is... is that what your job is?

Please tell me tomorrow you seeing how many would fit in Big Ben?

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

My job is answering questions that the great British public text to a question-answering company with the Power Of The Internet. *poses dramatically* *Internet Researcher cape flutters in the breeze*

I do this at home in my pyjamas. It's awesome.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

The problem seems to be poorly defined. Did they take into consideration how the weight of the jelly babies would create a density gradient inside the statue? Beyond that, surely you could simply squeeze more jelly babies into the statue even after it's filled to the rim?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Yeah, we have an answer to trouble-mongering like that.

Shhh. *stern face*

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Is this assuming the most efficient packing, or the average if they're just poured in?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Perhaps he used dried, powdered jellies?

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Shhhhhh.

*glares*

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Is this assuming the most efficient packing, or the average if they're just poured in?

I think the pressure of billions of jelly babies would deform the majority into near 100% efficient packing.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

But, more importantly, what flavor?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Ptolom wrote:Is this assuming the most efficient packing, or the average if they're just poured in?

I think the pressure of billions of jelly babies would deform the majority into near 100% efficient packing.

But, there'd be a gradient getting less dense as you go up.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Nah, Granola bars taste like crap and leave your mouth as dry as cardboard. Flapjack's nice.

No. Those are certainly not flapjacks. Flapjacks are pancakes, plain and simple. You British people are so weird!!! :wink:

But yeah, most of the granola bars actually have quite a bit of sweet in them and they're not very dry - assuming we're talking the chewy ones which is what's typically consumed, at least where I am.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

What do you call flapjack then?

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:What do you call flapjack then?

Chewy granola bars - although looking at some of the pictures that come up in google image search, some of them may actually be bar cookies (bar just indicating the shape - coming from being baked in a large pan and then cut up instead of normal cookies that are portioned before baking). I know you British people have issues with cookies too, so that may not even work for you!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

Cookies are a type of biscuit, this having a legal definition in UK law. Saying otherwise in products on the UK market is therefore illegal I think.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

mjm

Postby mjm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:In cases when I can't get food down, I try to get some sprite/7up/whatever as soon as possible.

As far as an initial sugar source, I prefer ginger ale because the ginger is good against nausea. It's the best, though not always available.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

But, there'd be a gradient getting less dense as you go up.

I imagine the top layer with non-optimal packing would be some few percent at most, so I don't think that's a problem.

Beyond that, we need to figure out whether jelly babies are compressible (intuition says yes, but it's real hard to tell deformation from compression in these things).

mjm

Postby mjm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

Excellent point. I tempted to get some simply so I can determine that. Upon reflection, however, I would say they are not very compressible. For Jello concentration water-gelatin preparations, there is no discernable increase in volume during the sol-gel transition. I don't think it could be compressed significantly past the density of the liquid.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:40 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Cookies are a type of biscuit, this having a legal definition in UK law. Saying otherwise in products on the UK market is therefore illegal I think.

Though we've been over all this before, that still seems like saying that a pie is a subform of sandwich.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 am UTC

I learned that yawning and stretching simultaneously is called Pandiculation.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:27 am UTC

Is there a word for sneezing and coughing at the same time?
Other than 'painful'...
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Return to “General”