Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Armadillo Al
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC
Location: Illinois

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Today I learned that my precious footlong sweet onion chicken teriyaki is now $6.50. :(
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

PapaNachos
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Today I learned that 120 degrees Fahrenheit is totally normal body temperature.

User avatar
Surgery
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 am UTC
Location: Western New York

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Surgery » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:42 am UTC

PapaNachos wrote:Today I learned that 120 degrees Fahrenheit is totally normal body temperature.
I'm pretty sure normal human body temperature is around 98.6 F. And wikipedia agrees.

PapaNachos
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby PapaNachos » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:46 am UTC

Surgery wrote:
PapaNachos wrote:Today I learned that 120 degrees Fahrenheit is totally normal body temperature.
I'm pretty sure normal human body temperature is around 98.6 F. And wikipedia agrees.

Not according to my math professor.

User avatar
Surgery
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 am UTC
Location: Western New York

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Surgery » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:44 am UTC

PapaNachos wrote:
Surgery wrote:
PapaNachos wrote:Today I learned that 120 degrees Fahrenheit is totally normal body temperature.
I'm pretty sure normal human body temperature is around 98.6 F. And wikipedia agrees.

Not according to my math professor.
Ah, now it makes perfect sense.

TIL: I can actually get a lot of work done when I'm in a large room with a dozen other people working on projects together, as opposed to sitting in my apartment getting distracted by the internet.

User avatar
SOSkanesumi ARK
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: C springs, colorado
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SOSkanesumi ARK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 am UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:Today I learned that my precious footlong sweet onion chicken teriyaki is now $6.50. :(

you mean no more five dorrar footrongs?(inside joke of sorts with my droogs and whatnot)
Navi> hey luke hows han these days?
<luke> han?
<Navi> solo
* luke facepalms

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Helios471 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:20 am UTC

SOSkanesumi ARK wrote:
Armadillo Al wrote:Today I learned that my precious footlong sweet onion chicken teriyaki is now $6.50. :(

you mean no more five dorrar footrongs?(inside joke of sorts with my droogs and whatnot)

The deal was $7 in Aus...

User avatar
Armadillo Al
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC
Location: Illinois

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:08 pm UTC

SOSkanesumi ARK wrote:you mean no more five dorrar footrongs?(inside joke of sorts with my droogs and whatnot)


Yeah, the cheap subs are still $5/foot. But not my precious sweet onion chicken teriyaki. :(
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

liltimmy
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby liltimmy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

I learned that I eat over 2500 calories for lunch.
Donuts and roller-cola :3

User avatar
carbohydrated
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:22 am UTC
Location: Finland

Re: Today I Learned

Postby carbohydrated » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Today I learned that too much cranberry juice causes
Spoiler:
uncontrollable pooping.

User avatar
sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.
Posts: 3476
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm UTC
Location: it's turtles all the way down, even in the suburbs
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

That is a lot of cranberry juice!
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Whelan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

I learned that my physics teacher actually has a sense of humour.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Silvyr
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:43 pm UTC
Location: Lost
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Silvyr » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

Today I learned that when you're done taking the ACT it really does feel like someone punched you in the head; my Government teacher wasn't over exaggerating. XD
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:39 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I learned that some power supplies actually expect a minimum amount of load, so if you're not pulling enough current from it, it won't function quite right. I also learned it's pretty difficult to diagnose that sort of thing
Define not quite right? I wonder if that's got anything to do with some issues my computer has from time to time.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Helios471 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:48 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:I learned that some power supplies actually expect a minimum amount of load, so if you're not pulling enough current from it, it won't function quite right. I also learned it's pretty difficult to diagnose that sort of thing
Define not quite right? I wonder if that's got anything to do with some issues my computer has from time to time.

I wouldn't expect so, computer PSUs are usually under a pretty constant load. By constant I mean it wouldn't be low enough to cause problems i'd expect.

ACU-LP
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 am UTC

That up to four random people from the internet can work together in perfect harmony. But if someone else gets involved, everybody dies.
I was playing COD4.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

User avatar
keikeiaznqueen
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:41 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Today I Learned

Postby keikeiaznqueen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 am UTC

Today I learned that a friend of mine is actually an excellent robot maker. I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was THAT good. Damn, that robot was sweet. I was completely charmed.

User avatar
schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: Under my doona, playing cubby houses.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby schumi_girl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:23 am UTC

This post had objectionable content.

Damnit.
Last edited by schumi_girl on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.


Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8573
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Zohar » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 am UTC

schumi_girl wrote:That playing one hentai game at 11am in the morning can leave you turned on until 9pm the same day.

Damnit.

Damn, now I'm curious. :) I've never played a hentai game...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Helios471 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:That up to four random people from the internet can work together in perfect harmony. But if someone else gets involved, everybody dies.
I was playing COD4.

I learnt this playing Left 4 Dead. The new Survival mode is great.

schumi_girl wrote:This post had objectionable content.

Damnit.

I tell you, not what I expected to read. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will tell that stuff to the internets.

User avatar
schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: Under my doona, playing cubby houses.

Re: Today I Learned

Postby schumi_girl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am UTC

That I really need to think before I say anything. At all. Ever.


Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Helios471 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 am UTC

I never said its a bad thing, it just isn't something I could ever tell people from the internet.

ACU-LP
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby ACU-LP » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

Helios471 wrote:I never said its a bad thing, it just isn't something I could ever tell people from the internet.
See, for me, the level of anonymity allows me to say things here. I have said much in the confessions thread I have never said aloud.
Despite the fact my anonymity was pretty much out the window a while back.
Helios471 wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:That up to four random people from the internet can work together in perfect harmony. But if someone else gets involved, everybody dies.
I was playing COD4.
I learnt this playing Left 4 Dead. The new Survival mode is great.
See, what we were doing was glitching the maps; showing each other all the glitches such in each map. We had to be on different teams to stop the server from getting pissy, but as soon as more than four people got involved, one person would always think that it was funny to shoot the other guy in the head, or that they just couldn't be fucked, or in trying to glitch they raged and shot everyone. Up to four people its fine however. Even doing killing challenges, its very polite.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Helios471 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:
Helios471 wrote:I never said its a bad thing, it just isn't something I could ever tell people from the internet.
See, for me, the level of anonymity allows me to say things here. I have said much in the confessions thread I have never said aloud.
Despite the fact my anonymity was pretty much out the window a while back.
Helios471 wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:That up to four random people from the internet can work together in perfect harmony. But if someone else gets involved, everybody dies.
I was playing COD4.
I learnt this playing Left 4 Dead. The new Survival mode is great.
See, what we were doing was glitching the maps; showing each other all the glitches such in each map. We had to be on different teams to stop the server from getting pissy, but as soon as more than four people got involved, one person would always think that it was funny to shoot the other guy in the head, or that they just couldn't be fucked, or in trying to glitch they raged and shot everyone. Up to four people its fine however. Even doing killing challenges, its very polite.

Never played CoD4 online. Left 4 Dead, however, is great when there isn't anyone greifing or exploiting.

TIL: Firefox thinks "grepping" is a word. Awesome.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5101
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:I learned that some power supplies actually expect a minimum amount of load, so if you're not pulling enough current from it, it won't function quite right. I also learned it's pretty difficult to diagnose that sort of thing
Define not quite right? I wonder if that's got anything to do with some issues my computer has from time to time.
Well, the supply in this case is taking 48VDC in and giving me 24VDC out. I had it powering 5 devices which were only pulling 30ma each. In this case working "not quite right" meant that when I powered on the third component I heard a high-pitch squealing-type sound. The 4th one caused it to change pitch and get louder, ditto for the 5th. After spending half a day trying to figure out what was going on not even being entirely sure where the sound was coming from (since everything was in a confined space), we tried plugging in another device and amazingly the sound stopped!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
el_loco_avs
Posts: 1294
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

Today I learned that a bullet to the heart is not instantly lethal. Also, the fact that most people fall over when they're shot is likely a LEARNED response. Intoxicated people tend not to fall over and keep fighting after sustaining many wounds.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Luthen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

Today I learnt that if the times aren't too crazy, I can get myself to wake up two minutes before the time I change my alarm to. Set alarm for 5:02 to get some work done, was awake at 5:00. I actually thought I slept through the alarm for a couple of seconds before it went off.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
Jos
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm UTC
Location: In ur ___, ___'ing ur ____

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Jos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

That Nice human beings I do not know can (via ite internet) grant me internets!

...With a capital letter on nice.
Image
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Helios471 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Today I learned that a bullet to the heart is not instantly lethal. Also, the fact that most people fall over when they're shot is likely a LEARNED response. Intoxicated people tend not to fall over and keep fighting after sustaining many wounds.

I'd rather not have to learn that response. Though I'd expect a bullet hitting you would have a fair amount of kinetic energy. Then we have inertia and all.

User avatar
Jos
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm UTC
Location: In ur ___, ___'ing ur ____

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Jos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

...And being taken by suprise (as a bullet in your chest might be said to be. Hopefully) there's really no way to steel oneself for the experience
Image
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Today I learned that a bullet to the heart is not instantly lethal. Also, the fact that most people fall over when they're shot is likely a LEARNED response. Intoxicated people tend not to fall over and keep fighting after sustaining many wounds.
Christopher Lee disagrees.

The Films of Christopher Lee wrote:Christopher Lee has told a story that when he tried to perform a scene of his being shot the way he'd seen people shot in WWII— "I put an expression of slight surprise on my face and slowly sank to the floor with great dignity"— the people on set found it hilarious; this makes this troper wonder if the trope-naming Narm scene was, in fact, factually accurate and still ridiculous-looking.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

Helios471 wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:Today I learned that a bullet to the heart is not instantly lethal. Also, the fact that most people fall over when they're shot is likely a LEARNED response. Intoxicated people tend not to fall over and keep fighting after sustaining many wounds.

I'd rather not have to learn that response. Though I'd expect a bullet hitting you would have a fair amount of kinetic energy. Then we have inertia and all.
you learn it from watching tv, not from experience. tv teaches you that if you are shot, unless it is in the arm, you should probably fall down. if you want into...iono, africa, and shot someone who had never seen a gun before, chances are he'll keep attacking you if he can. no matter how many different instances where this guy has been shot, he will never fall just because he's been shot, possibly if he's been wounded really badly, yes, but not from just any old shot.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Today I Learnt

Postby Luthen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Today I learnt that the search isn't blocked my the objectionable content tags, it doesn't show what was modded but it knows it's there.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
Surgery
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 am UTC
Location: Western New York

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Surgery » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Helios471 wrote:I'd rather not have to learn that response. Though I'd expect a bullet hitting you would have a fair amount of kinetic energy. Then we have inertia and all.
I would imagine that would depend on the kind of bullet. But even then, I think hollow points, which are designed to dump energy upon impact, try to disperse it radially around the impact site, not in front of it. A spear tip doesn't drop much energy when it hits something, which is why it can keep going and going and going like the energizer bunny (well, part of the reason).

Note: this post is constructed largely from half-memories.

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Helios471 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 am UTC

Surgery wrote:
Helios471 wrote:I'd rather not have to learn that response. Though I'd expect a bullet hitting you would have a fair amount of kinetic energy. Then we have inertia and all.
I would imagine that would depend on the kind of bullet. But even then, I think hollow points, which are designed to dump energy upon impact, try to disperse it radially around the impact site, not in front of it. A spear tip doesn't drop much energy when it hits something, which is why it can keep going and going and going like the energizer bunny (well, part of the reason).

Note: this post is constructed largely from half-memories.

Well yes, some would knock you around more than others, but I'd still expect a slug of lead - no matter how pointy - is going to make you at least stagger if not fall over when you walk into travelling greater than the speed of sound (relatively of course)

ACU-LP
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Today I Learned

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:30 am UTC

And see, herein lies the problem with war games and movies; on one side, you are unnafected by bullets; you can be shot by a pistol repeatedly and still survive with no affects to movement. And yet sometimes one bullet to the chest will instantly kill you, which as we have already discussed it unlikely. Even if its a hit to the heart you'd be able to put off at least another clip if not more.
There's just no consistency to it all.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

User avatar
<nyssa>
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby <nyssa> » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

Today I learned that if a saturday is a public holiday, people will use the 6 hours of trading on Sunday to get the whole weekend's worth of their shopping fix. We were only closed for one day! But it was worse than the days leading up to Christmas today in terms of numbers of customers.

User avatar
Jos
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 pm UTC
Location: In ur ___, ___'ing ur ____

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Jos » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

Worse than christmas? Well that's a suprise, to be mild
Image
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

User avatar
<nyssa>
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Re: Today I Learned

Postby <nyssa> » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

It was. Apparently we made $85,000 more than we usually make on average on a Sunday, and were about $40,000 above our budget. So yay! I guess.

User avatar
Sp00n
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Sp00n » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Today I learned that Doctor Who audios are rather splendid.
"Did she kiss as good as me?"

"As well as you.
"


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chen and 21 guests