ITT: We make xkcd slightly worse.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Re: ITT: We make xkcd slightly worse.

Postby Antimony-120 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 am UTC

Based, unfortunatly, on my real life experience.

Iwouldliketofileabugreport.jpg
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report.
Iwouldliketofileabugreport.jpg (16.03 KiB) Viewed 5163 times
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:41 am UTC

The torn-off ones were blank, except for the one that wasn't there in the first place.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:52 am UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:Yeah, but yr missing millions of sq kilometers of russia and the middle east.

Sometimes, comics have jokes in them.

ConMan wrote:[Comic]

And sometimes, they don't.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:00 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:
Walter.Horvath wrote:Yeah, but yr missing millions of sq kilometers of russia and the middle east.

I revel in my meta-non-humour.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:03 am UTC

Speaking of, today's comic is a prime target for "I've never been more turned on in my life".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 am UTC

ConMan wrote:
Goldstein wrote:

I revel in my meta-non-humour.

You could call it a trope (or exploitation) those pieces are the frequently used dialog to create xkcdsw automatically.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 am UTC

swimsuit_issue.png
Happy, phlip?
swimsuit_issue.png (17.67 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:27 am UTC

book_burning.png

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

Off todays.

swimsuitsw.PNG
swimsuitsw.PNG (24.38 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Dad, we really need to sit down and I can show you how this all works.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

For me, "Asian" means "from Asia, but not Russia, the Middle East, or India". How could Asian possibly mean ONLY Indian?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

Due to exposure. If all the Asians you ever meet are from Pakistan, India and nearby countries, then it's pretty easy to form that association. I find it really weird that you can entertain the idea of misunderstanding the meaning of Asian in your own way, but not in another's way. Some might even say it's telling.
Last edited by Goldstein on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Well, I DO know some people from India. It's just that I tend to make a distinction from "Asian" because there's a different skin color.

We refer to our Indian friend as "subcontinental".
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:It's just that I tend to make a distinction from "Asian" because there's a different skin color.

Different to.. What? Asian?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

There's Indian, and then there's (Eastern) Asian. Do I really need to say it?

THE YELLOW KIND. :x

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Look, the point I'm trying to get you to see is that when you say their skin colour is 'different to Asian', it presupposes which group are Asian. Your argument is "These guys are Asian, so these other guys can't be". Try to see it from someone else's perspective.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

I've still yet to meet any yellow people. Where the hell are the Chinese hiding them? Do they even have any? Did the Japanese steal them all or something? Are they in North Korea? Actually, that makes perfect sense. Kim Jong Il's keeping all the yellow people employed as mannequins.

Of course, there's also the issue of a great many Indians having no ancestry to the Indian subcontinent.

Spoiler:
Native Americans in the United States are the indigenous peoples from North America now encompassed by the continental United States, including parts of Alaska and the island state of Hawaii. They comprise a large number of distinct tribes, states, and ethnic groups, many of which survive as intact political communities. The terminology used to refer to Native Americans is controversial: according to a 1995 US Census Bureau set of home interviews, most of the respondents with an expressed preference refer to themselves as American Indians or Indians.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

That's a good point, now I'm really lost. If not Indian or Asian, what do you call a person the collective group of people from India over there?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Look, the point I'm trying to get you to see is that when you say their skin colour is 'different to Asian', it presupposes which group are Asian. Your argument is "These guys are Asian, so these other guys can't be". Try to see it from someone else's perspective.

All I meant was that the weird definition that I'm used to is the opposite of that described in the first of the xkcdsw's about this. Maybe if I had made my own image it would have been more clear.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

I also consider Asia to be composed of: Asia (as the continent) - (Russia + India + Everything west of the easternmost part of India). Everyone I've ever met also defines Asian this way. Also, if it's a relatively north-western pacific islander, in my mind's eye it'll get lumped with "Asian", even if I don't refer to them that way. I call people from India Indians, and the native inhabitants of American Indians too. This has never led to any confusion.

Then again, I'm Caucasian and pale as heck, and everyone refers to me as Asian. Go figure.
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:That's a good point, now I'm really lost. If not Indian or Asian, what do you call a person the collective group of people from India over there?
If they're from India, Indians. If they're from Pakistan, then Pakistanis. Residents of Bangladesh are Bengali, but then so are Indians who share ancestry and live in West Bengal.... it's complicated, but generally you're going to call them whatever the fuck they want to be called. If you're pointing at some random people who seem to have ancestry from the Indian subcontinent, you'd probably just want to call them Asian. Or by name. That one's the best. "Hey Bob!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Goldstein wrote:That's a good point, now I'm really lost. If not Indian or Asian, what do you call a person the collective group of people from India over there?
If they're from India, Indians. If they're from Pakistan, then Pakistanis. Residents of Bangladesh are Bengali, but then so are Indians who share ancestry and live in West Bengal.... it's complicated, but generally you're going to call them whatever the fuck they want to be called. If you're pointing at some random people who seem to have ancestry from the Indian subcontinent, you'd probably just want to call them Asian. Or by name. That one's the best. "Hey Bob!"

[Being totally serious you guys]
They either be 'merican or they aint 'merican. those be the only 2 things that mater
[/Being totally serious you guys]
double epsilon = -.0000001;

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Dason wrote:[Being totally serious you guys]
They either be 'merican or they aint 'merican. those be the only 2 things that mater
[/Being totally serious you guys]

Americans are pirates now?

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:20 am UTC

I'm not opposed to being a pirate. Yeah, let's go with what you said: Americans are pirates now!
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:55 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I'm not opposed to being a pirate. Yeah, let's go with what you said: Americans are pirates now!

Pass me the rum.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:39 am UTC

brakos82 wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I'm not opposed to being a pirate. Yeah, let's go with what you said: Americans are pirates now!

Pass me the rum.

Are children allowed to partake in the rum as well too?

Wait a second - now the sailing I've been doing for so long will actually look meaningful on my resume some day!
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:44 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

People from India I prefer Hindu, because it's ingrained to my mind that Indians are Native Americans. Living in an Asian group of islands, saying "Look, he's an Asian" would just be laughable. It becomes totally the reverse. Everyone from 'Merica, Europe are known as Tourists. Everyone who has Mongol origins are hereby called Chinese. And Hindu would be Bumbays. Okay that's enough perspective for you guys.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:54 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:For me, "Asian" means "from Asia, but not Russia, the Middle East, or India". How could Asian possibly mean ONLY Indian?

Because, despite it being completely illogical, that's how the term is used in Britain. Just like "randy" isn't a name over here and given its meaning over here it seems very funny as a name, Asian means something different over here (albeit your definition is more logical). We then specify using oriental or more specifically (if you know) like Chinese, Japanese, Thai for other people from the Asian continent.

But anyway, this conversation would fit better in linguistics methinks.

tastelikecoke wrote:People from India I prefer Hindu,.

And I'm sure the Muslims, Jains, Buddhists, Zoroastrians and Sikhs would love you for that.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:36 pm UTC

Making a proper attempt at making it slightly worse:
Spoiler:
swimsuitissuesw.jpg
You told me there was cake in this barrel!

Sources: 1 751
Firelight holds their peace
Sing farewell by smoke in the cold
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

Under A Pale Grey Sky wrote:Making a proper attempt at making it slightly worse:
Spoiler:
swimsuitissuesw.jpg

Sources: 1 751

I have no fair understanding of what just happened here.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

The cake was a lie.

FortOyer

Postby FortOyer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

As it turned out the crazies were right.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:14 am UTC

This was done by my friend. I don't know if he made it slightly worse so much as disgustingly cute.
Attachments
cuddlefish2.png
Awww.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:People from India I prefer Hindu
Yeah, that's bloody stupid, because Hindu is a religion, not a nationality.

In any case, what's wrong with South Asian (for the subcontinent), East Asian (for China, the Koreas, Japan, etc.) and Southeast Asian (for Thailand, Cambodia, etc.)?

If you want to be racist about it you could talk about yellow Asians and brown Asians, but then you run into problems in between. Tibetans look more like Chinese but have food more like Indians. Some Thai people are quite dark-skinned while others are descended from Chinese ancestors.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

Sartorius wrote:This was done by my friend. I don't know if he made it slightly worse so much as disgustingly cute.
Their hugging looks quite odd. I don't know that I'd want to be hugged like that.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

chridd wrote:
Sartorius wrote:This was done by my friend. I don't know if he made it slightly worse so much as disgustingly cute.
Their hugging looks quite odd. I don't know that I'd want to be hugged like that.

I assumed those were the jets of irrational happiness and optimism.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
chridd wrote:
I assumed those were the jets of irrational happiness and optimism.

Let's go with that.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Osha

Postby Osha » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Obvious change is obvious.
xkcdsw_2.png
I'm afraid of snakes too.

FCN

Postby FCN » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
636, 752 (alt hosting)
sharing.png
You're right, it did help to share.
Spoiler:
LuNatic wrote:
Dear FCN,
You are:
a) Terrible, but in an awesome way.
or
b) Awesome, but in a terrible way.
I'm having difficulty deciding which.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:01 am UTC

Osha wrote:Obvious change is obvious.
xkcdsw_2.png

Aaahahahahaa! The cheese burned so much!
Ptolom wrote:penis

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:56 am UTC

Yeah, I've known many East Asian people as well as some from the southern and western parts of the continent, and all of them had the same skin colours you find here in Canada - various places on the scale from pinkish to brownish. Nothing yellow. Hell, most of them were just about the same shade of pink as myself.

Aaaaaanyway. Based loosely on reality and http://xkcd.com/400/:
Spoiler:
xkcdsw-shuffle.png
Oh that feels so GAH FUCK WHAT IS THAT
xkcdsw-shuffle.png (59.34 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
This is even more fun at 3AM, when you have the volume turned way up to compensate for the song being unusually quiet.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Return to “General”