Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Re: ANGRY NATTERINGS

Postby The EGE » Sat May 07, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
Lots of intelligent things

I've noticed that the #NeverHillary movement seems to be much more white, middle class, and straight than Sanders supporters as a whole. It's almost as if they could weather a Trump presidency without substantial personal danger.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat May 07, 2016 7:29 pm UTC

As distasteful as I find the Clintons (and I really do), I can't get on board with #neverhillary, or with those who say that the two established parties are indistinguishable. Hillary will represent a continuation of the status quo with, possibly, a few concessions to progressivism, but Trump would be disastrous. And with the possibility of multiple Supreme Court nominations for the next president, the negative consequences of a Republican victory could persist for decades.

That said (and with full cognizance of how FPTP works), I'm not voting for her. If I lived in a swing state I would, grudgingly – but I live in one of the safest Democratic states that there is, and I'm not going to give her my vote if she clearly doesn't need it. The Democratic Party does indeed suffer from corruption and complacency, and by casting a protest vote for Jill Stein, I intend to show (in my small, individual way) that not everyone on the left is okay with how they do business. Not that I'm enamored of the Greens, either – I dislike their continued tolerance of medical pseudoscience and their hostility to nuclear power – but they're a token party, making the specifics of their candidacy somewhat irrelevant.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun May 08, 2016 10:06 am UTC

I voted Green myself this week. THREE ballot papers, I got. One was pretty straightforward: 1st and 2nd choices out of Con, Lab, Lib Dem or Green. Well, I wasn't voting Con or Lab, was I? Another was for the Police and Crime Commissioner, which incidentally sounds like a great idea because if the same person's commissioning the policing and the crimes they can make sure the police concentrate on the right things. That one had similar except Independent not Green. It's hard to be sure where an Independent stands if you didn't even know that ballot was happening and haven't looked the candidates up, but there's a good chance an Independent candidate doesn't want to charge per call-out, withdraw legal protection from religious or ethnic groups or ban protests within 1km of parliament. The third one was for the local council. List of names. No alignments. No stances. No clues. Sure, if you knew the town well you could guess how rich someone was by the addresses given, but the actual positions on things? No idea. That was awkward. I don't want a bad candidate to get my vote and I don't want a bad candidate to get a mandate of "80% of the 1% of voters who voted at all" so ... what do I do, roll dice?
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

Link

Postby Link » Mon May 09, 2016 5:06 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:I don't want a bad candidate to get my vote and I don't want a bad candidate to get a mandate of "80% of the 1% of voters who voted at all" so ... what do I do, roll dice?

Google the candidates and judge on what you find?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon May 09, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

Hard to do from inside the voting booth. :\
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 09, 2016 5:14 pm UTC

Not that hard, bit a little late. A responsible citizen will inform themself in time. Actually, it takes quite some work to avoid all the advertising.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon May 09, 2016 5:16 pm UTC

For local councilor?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

There were none. The only b______t I've had in the run-up to this one was about the next one, the EU in/out referendum.

https://fullfact.org/ have the unenviable task of fact-checking both piles of lies and misrepresentations.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue May 10, 2016 12:34 am UTC

In the US, you can get an absentee ballot mailed to you, which allows you to look up candidates/issues at your leisure. Not sure if/how that is possible in your jurisdiction.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri May 20, 2016 10:28 pm UTC

I hate subscription services.
That's actually singular, because I only have one subscription (newspaper), but it's a pain in the ass to get rid of it.*
Now the word "subscription" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

*and Dutch law is both a blessing and a pain at that: yay, you have the right to cancel any contract the same way you accepted it** and, yay, you have the right to cancel any "silently continued" subscription on a monthly basis except newspapers and other magazines which may extend this to a three-monthly basis.
**that saves me the hassle of sending a letter or waiting on the phone for half an hour.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed May 25, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

The tap water went gush.
My pasta turned to mush.
I threw it in a bush.
A bird left in a rush.
The foliage was lush.
This toilet just won't flush.
That old guy groped my tush.

Would someone please either get her an actual tune or shut her up, retroactively?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 pm UTC

not sure if you're quoting some song lyrics or writing them yourselves but "bush" and "tush" don't rhyme with the rest of those words.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu May 26, 2016 12:08 am UTC

They do if you're from the North of England.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri May 27, 2016 6:42 pm UTC

ARGH! I have finally gotten to updating genymotion and the first thing the updater does is remove all my old VMs. :x
Why the hell would you do that?! Even if they're somehow not compatible, at least ask me for consent.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:59 am UTC

Has there ever been a [safespace] man thread?
It just seems rather sexist if the woman get their own. More than anything, it makes me jealous
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 am UTC

Huh? Oh, you haven't seen it. The [safespace] man thread is here.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 am UTC

Haha ok, very true. Suppose you're right.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:54 am UTC

It's the entire Internet.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Has there ever been a [safespace] man thread?
It just seems rather sexist if the woman get their own. More than anything, it makes me jealous

The Boy Thread

Nothing in there has indicated a [safespace] tag would be either necessary or desired.

And nothing in there has elevated it to be a man thread either.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:44 pm UTC

Men have it easy, alright. Men don't even need to know first aid. Seriously, if a small girl falls from her bicycle and hurts herself and everyone else is just driving by, ignoring her, a man can get her medical care in seconds without having to know any first aid at all or touch his phone. All he has to do is stop to help and women come running from every direction, wielding rolling pins. One of them's bound to know first aid, and his work is done ... until someone needs one end of an oak beam holding up for a few minutes, or something else simple like that.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:01 pm UTC

Maybe instead I will angrily natter about how I wish I was born a woman sometimes, then maybe I would be more attractive
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Maybe instead I will angrily natter about how I wish I was born a woman sometimes, then maybe I would be more attractive

*stops moving*

*looks down*

*looks around very carefully*

*crouches down, slowly and carefully*

*gently feels around*

*swings pack down onto checked ground*

*gets twice-white-taped and once-red-taped tent pegs from pack*

*gets old-style bayonet from pack*

*starts probing a path back to known safe ground*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

If by "safe ground" you mean "sufficient explanation of 'women come running from every direction, wielding rolling pins.' that explains away the inherit, accidental sexism so SecondTalon doesn't put you on That List That He Keeps In His Head of Shitgoblins", then yes. Safe ground would be a good idea.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:39 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:
Maybe instead I will angrily natter about how I wish I was born a woman sometimes, then maybe I would be more attractive

Have you considered transitioning? Or, snazzy clothes that you got a tailor to fit to your body. One of the two should do wonders.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:45 pm UTC

I've always wanted to get snazzy clothes to fit that perfectly shaped body. I hate spending money on clothes though
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Men have it easy, alright. Men don't even need to know first aid. Seriously, if a small girl falls from her bicycle and hurts herself and everyone else is just driving by, ignoring her, a man can get her medical care in seconds without having to know any first aid at all or touch his phone. All he has to do is stop to help and women come running from every direction, wielding rolling pins. One of them's bound to know first aid, and his work is done ... until someone needs one end of an oak beam holding up for a few minutes, or something else simple like that.

*dons fedora* My job here is done.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
... until someone needs one end of an oak beam holding up for a few minutes, or something else simple like that.

*stops moving*

*looks down*

*reads post*

*reads post very carefully*

*swings pack down*

*removes rocket launcher*

*starts finding those outside of safe ground*
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 pm UTC

If you have the money to spare, a good suit or the like will make you feel amazing both in and out of the suit.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If by "safe ground" you mean "sufficient explanation of 'women come running from every direction, wielding rolling pins.' that explains away the inherit, accidental sexism so SecondTalon doesn't put you on That List That He Keeps In His Head of Shitgoblins", then yes. Safe ground would be a good idea.

Well, they didn't actually bring rolling pins but they did come running to Save Those Sweet Little Angels From That Scary Horrible Man very quickly indeed once I stopped to help. Small girl lying immobile on ice outdoors in February? Eh, check again in fifteen minutes. Man within 10 paces of small girl? SAVE HER!!! First concern: get man as far away from small girl as possible and position own bodies between them. Secondary concern: actually talk to small girl and find out what happened. Didn't cross their minds at all: maybe he's already established whether or not it's safe to move her.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:41 pm UTC

Try shaving and not wearing a trenchcoat

Seriously though, good on you for helping, but try not to get too worked up about these WOMEN not knowing you are indeed a respectable citizen.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:48 pm UTC

NOT wear my TRENCHCOAT? But then I'd have to put on trou... oh, yeah, I get it. :roll:

I wasn't actually wearing a coat at all at the time. Casualties sometimes go into shock so should be kept warm, and lying on ice ain't good for your body core temperature anyway so she was wearing my coat ... and going to be fine once she warmed up and the swelling went down, which I already knew but nobody asked me because "men" and "predatory child-molesters" are synonyms and I couldn't possibly have known what I was doing or had any kind of motivation other than sick, depraved depravity and sickness.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:49 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Seriously though, good on you for helping, but try not to get too worked up about these WOMEN not knowing you are indeed a respectable citizen.
... and expecting me to assume they're trustworthy. Don't forget that part.

thunk

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:57 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:

Have you considered transitioning? Or, snazzy clothes that you got a tailor to fit to your body. One of the two should do wonders.

I second that suggestion. Attractiveness actually has nothing to do with your gender, really.

If you seriously wish that you were a woman, and don't like being a man, it is a good idea to seriously consider your feelings about your gender.
If it's just an idle statement and you want to be a more attractive man, I recommend the "tailored suit" option.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:01 pm UTC

I mean, I wish I was a woman sometimes (or a cyborg, or the POTUS), but that's in no way related to wanting to transition. I really don't think it's that simple.

thunk

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:07 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:I mean, I wish I was a woman sometimes (or a cyborg, or the POTUS), but that's in no way related to wanting to transition. I really don't think it's that simple.

Of course. I mean serious, persistent jealousy, and bitterness over being one's assigned gender. Not idle fantasies; everybody pretty much has those.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:17 pm UTC

I find woman more attractive than men, therefore logic follows that if I were a woman Id find myself more attractive.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

Great logic. 10/10 gg

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:23 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I find woman more attractive than men, therefore logic follows that if I were a woman Id find myself more attractive.

That statement reminds me of Geraldine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vErJFmUF7DM

To imagine life in someone else's shoes is so common it is nearly universal.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:29 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Sableagle wrote:
... until someone needs one end of an oak beam holding up for a few minutes, or something else simple like that.

*stops moving*

*looks down*

*reads post*

*reads post very carefully*

*swings pack down*

*removes rocket launcher*

*starts finding those outside of safe ground*

<Passes Fractal_Tangent some more rockets>
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:49 pm UTC

If you can't detect sarcasm or bitterness and can't deal with people commenting on times offensive assumptions have been made about them, you are reading the wrong thread.

Return to “General”