Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:47 pm UTC

On a board partially for the interpretation of dreams and symbols, I make a post asking for an interpretation of my dreams and the symbolic content of my delusions, explaining that I'm mentally ill for context. I hear back "You are mentally ill, so this is a bad post and we won't do that. Also you are just whoring for attention, and you're egotistical and self-important." I get downvoted to hell as well.

On another small board full of people I thought I had a good relationship with, I explain the issues I have been going through recently and the effect they have on me, and literally ask for help. My posts are deleted, but not before everyone who responds emphasizes how they don't want to deal with me.

Well FUCK YOU ALL. All I want is to make sense of something that has become a large part of my life, largely so that I can communicate better with others and not feel isolated in my illness, and I get treated like a goddamn criminal. And a preemptive FUCK YOU TOO to anyone reading this.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

Dr34m(4+(h3r wrote:On a board partially for the interpretation of dreams and symbols, I make a post asking for an interpretation of my dreams and the symbolic content of my delusions, explaining that I'm mentally ill for context. I hear back "You are mentally ill, so this is a bad post and we won't do that. Also you are just whoring for attention, and you're egotistical and self-important." I get downvoted to hell as well.

On another small board full of people I thought I had a good relationship with, I explain the issues I have been going through recently and the effect they have on me, and literally ask for help. My posts are deleted, but not before everyone who responds emphasizes how they don't want to deal with me.

Well FUCK YOU ALL. All I want is to make sense of something that has become a large part of my life, largely so that I can communicate better with others and not feel isolated in my illness, and I get treated like a goddamn criminal. And a preemptive FUCK YOU TOO to anyone reading this.

I don't think you need to preempt in this way for everyone here. I don't know what goes on with the other people or boards. But I think a lot of people can feel like mental illness is like a mine, and if they were going to do happy go lucky dream interpretation as a lark they now have to worry about something blow up, and "this is not the place!"

And of course "this is not the place" for professional care or meaningful interpretation of dreams, particularly the latter, because that's not really a real thing anyway. It can be really insightful as a prompt, which gives it the same status as tarot cards or oblique strategies. Leastwise, how I see it.

But yeah, it is an awful response when someone might be inclined to think, "I will not attempt to comment on diagnoses or health issues which I do not understand or have qualifications for," and go to "I will not touch you with a pole."
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

I would really like a prompt. Some system; any system; that organizes the disorganized mess I have in my head, which nonetheless feels as if it has some weighty meaning to it.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:17 am UTC

Most of my dreams seem to be not about anything so much as a mental rummaging through the toybox of memories and associations. Occasionally there is one that stands out, as though I woke up with my subconscious poking me and saying here's your problem.

Some dreams are sort of easy to work out. Example number one from my own life (feel free to skip because other people's dreams are boring).
Spoiler:
I've been feeling a bit down for no real reason lately - everything is going well enough, all things considered, but I'm not doing anything interesting with the time and energy I have. I set an appointment with my therapist (the first in a year) to talk about this.

A day or two before the appointment, a relevant dream came up. I was in a bus, or a truck, and curled up tightly into a ball with my eyes closed. There was an accident and I felt myself bouncing around a lot, then rolling down a hill. I came to a stop, still rolled up, still with eyes shut. And I stayed that way for what felt like several minutes until I slowly realised that nothing more was going to happen. Nothing was going to force me to unroll and open my eyes. That was up to me.

The therapist agreed that it sounded like "the danger is over, now what are you gonna do?" And I'm stewing over that now. I think I'm going to get all my hair cut off and go with a buzz cut, for no good reason except I might enjoy it. And then I'm gonna find something else to change.

Some dreams take more work to interpret. I had a crystal clear, blaring-loud dream some years back that stayed with me. I was in more intensive therapy at the time and was struggling with several issues, feeling stuck and so on. Also a big fan of Star Trek Next Generation, incidentally. (Skip at will. This one will be quite long.)
Spoiler:
So the dream started with Captain Picard as a clerk processing information requests. He had access to a large store of important info, but would reply to most requests just with irrelevant, meaningless stuff. I wanted access to the real info and couldn't get past him to get to it. So I went to where Hitler was being kept in jail and let him out. (I think Hitler was able to destroy the wall holding back the info, or something.) Picard was upset with me because of all the damage that would get done. I replied "yes there will be book burnings and people burnings, but then the pendulum will swing back again" and I woke up.

This took me a good hour or so of chewing over the various symbols before I figured out enough of it to unlock the meaning. Picard was my sense of duty and propriety. Hitler was all the evil I believed to be inside me, in the dark place where I was terrified to even look in case I saw that I really was a hugely horrible person. Trying to talk about my problems in group therapy using only my head was like trying to send freedom of information requests to a bureaucrat who was determined to hide the truth at all cost. I had to kick down the wall holding back the emotions that contained the vital information before I was going to be able to make progress. Sure, it would be scary, but I wasn't going to learn to handle my emotions by running away from them and shutting them off.

Once I realised that, I spent the next short while experiencing the most fiery rage I had felt for probably a couple of decades (I had been regularly punished as a child for showing anger). No real target for the anger, just a series of various fleeting images going by in my mind. That wound itself down and was replaced by exhaustion, which became a deep sadness and grief. I cried like a movie heroine for a while, and then that slowed to a stop. Finally, I felt joy, a toe-tingling, life-loving joy that I also hadn't felt since childhood. Then that too passed, and I was really tired so I went back to sleep.

I was so excited to tell everyone at group about this dream and how awesome it was that I was apparently quite annoying to the other people there after a while. I did indeed have to learn about how to manage all these emotions that I'd been simply squashing for most of my life. That took a few more years of therapy, group and individual. And now I'm down to seeing the therapist once a year? I must have learned something in all that time, I guess. (I hope so.)

There is one more dream I feel I should describe, a cautionary one. Shorter than the previous, still boring, but maybe useful to others who are trying to rebuild themselves.
Spoiler:
In this dream, I was in a large, dusky attic with a high ceiling. There were two windows high on one wall that gave the only light in the room. Thousands of CDs were hanging from the ceiling by strings, most of them with large sections broken off, leaving incomplete circles. There were also some trinkets like bracelet charms hanging on the wall. Every time I touched a trinket or a CD, I heard a recording of my own voice saying a sentence or two. Touching several in a row would start them all going, talking over top of each other.

The attic was my head, or more accurately my brain (windows = eyes, natch). In therapy, I had been focused very closely on the goal of learning the true secret of who I really am, or maybe finding my one central control panel, or something like that. This dream showed me that ... there was no such thing. I am entirely made of a patchwork of experiences, memories, habits, and probably some gene-level stuff, or whatever those charmlike trinkets were meant to be. There is no magic control centre. I will never find a "fix everything now" button. I will find memories, and habits that I learned as a result of those earlier experiences, and I will have to think through them and come to better conclusions than I did forty years ago, and then I will need to learn some new habits to replace the old unhealthy ones. That's all.

That's disappointing, and liberating.

Well wishes on your journey.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:43 am UTC

Dreamcatcher, FWIW I've seen your posts in the dreams thread and other places here and wanted to say something supportive, I've just got mental issues of my own that make me extreme averse to the risk of engaging in anything that might stress me out at all, like trying to help other people with their problems. I went back and forth all day today about whether to even post this, but I thought it'd probably be safe for me to say, and maybe nice for you to hear, that at least I want to say something nice, and I wish you well.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 am UTC

poxic wrote:Most of my dreams seem to be not about anything so much as a mental rummaging through the toybox of memories and associations.

That's how I treat the concept of dreams - like reruns of bits and pieces of memories and sensations. It makes a lot of sense to me to think of dreaming in terms of filesystem defragging.

Spoiler:
I'm often surprised by how objective not-abstract other people's dreams are. As a child I would have very vivid, very objective un-abstract dreams, but even so, they would rarely be as grounded in reality or have such a linear narrative. I can remember a dream in which I'm endlessly chasing a rolling penny through the entrance of a tiny circus tent, and another one where I'm riding a cloud like a jetski through my neighborhood. Later I've had a long period where my dreams would be almost entirely based on emotion, with very sparse visuals, and certainly no plot or dialogue of any kind.

Throughout that, I've always had very vivid recurring nightmares and fever dreams. It's as though any time it's time to have a bad dream, my mind pulls out one of the old classics. For instance, I'm in a taxi at night, driving past a house, and with a piece of baking paper and a pencil I need to trace the flash of moonlight from the windows of the house as it passes by. All accompanied by a horrible feeling of dread.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:40 pm UTC

poxic wrote:I replied "yes there will be book burnings and people burnings, but then the pendulum will swing back again" and I woke up.

That is awesome.

Pfhorrest wrote:Dreamcatcher, FWIW I've seen your posts in the dreams thread and other places here and wanted to say something supportive, I've just got mental issues of my own that make me extreme averse to the risk of engaging in anything that might stress me out at all, like trying to help other people with their problems. I went back and forth all day today about whether to even post this, but I thought it'd probably be safe for me to say, and maybe nice for you to hear, that at least I want to say something nice, and I wish you well.

Thanks.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:17 pm UTC

Dr34m(4+(h3r wrote:On a board partially for the interpretation of dreams and symbols, I make a post asking for an interpretation of my dreams and the symbolic content of my delusions, explaining that I'm mentally ill for context. I hear back "You are mentally ill, so this is a bad post and we won't do that. Also you are just whoring for attention, and you're egotistical and self-important." I get downvoted to hell as well.

:( Well, while those people might be risk-adverse to engaging in something they are not qualified to do, that is still a dickish move.

Rule no. 1, Don't be a Dick.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:The best tool I've found in the fight against Win10 is GWX Control Panel, from the Ultimate Outsider blog. The guy who writes it is as angry as I am at how M$ is pushing it out (although he's a little less sweary).

What really pisses me off is that even if you make the changes Microsoft published to prevent the 'upgrade', Microsoft then automatically unmakes them, and doesn't tell you.

I have nothing against Win10 per se, and when I build my new PC later this year (hopefully), I'll almost certainly buy and run it. I just think the way M$ is trying to distribute it is evil, and I don't want it on my current PC which isn't compatible anyway.

GWX Control Panel is a thing of great beauty, it delights me and I thank for for informing me of its existence. If you require delicious chocolate cake and are able to collect it, I am willing to purchase the ingredients and do the baking.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:06 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:GWX Control Panel is a thing of great beauty, it delights me and I thank for for informing me of its existence. If you require delicious chocolate cake and are able to collect it, I am willing to purchase the ingredients and do the baking.

I'd like to take you up on your offer of delicious chocolate cake, but I fear there might be trouble shipping it to Japan. I'll just have to accept you kind thoughts instead.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:47 pm UTC

I think I've already expressed my opinion of India in terms of certain matters, and in the interests of not activating obscenity filters on planets orbiting other stars I shall refrain from repeating myself while intoxicated.

Today, in the papers, there is mention of someone in India being upset by Coldplay's latest video protraying India as "all holy men and pagan festivals."

You'd think they'd be grateful for any publicity that suggests even a few of the men there could possibly qualify as holy, wouldn't you? What would they prefer, [redacted to avoid triggering obscenity filters in other spiral arms of the galaxy]?

As for Coldplay, when they first launched someone on Radio 1 said: "I think they're brilliant so I'm going to play this loads this week so it gets loads of airtime to sit gets pushed up the charts so we get to play it loads next week as well," and I recently read that Radio 1 has an algorithm to predict which "songs" will be big hits so they can play them loads. Anyone familiar with the concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy? No wonder the $#!+ on "hit radio" these days all sounds the same. I'd hate ISIS less for at least a week if they'd blow Radio 1 and Capital off the air.

Anyone remember when there used to be music on the radio? You know, songs to best friends in pain like Chiquitita, memories of the passions of youth like Fernando, furious anti-war rants like 2 Minutes to Midnight and Civil War, daydreamy songs like Michelle and Girl, pleas for face-to-face sharing of humanity like Sounds of Silence, things like Blue Suede Shoes and Pretty Woman, songs that'll make your chest ache in UltraStar or Permormous like It's All Coming Back To Me Now, auto-biographical songs like Object In The Rear-View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are, songs with lots of actual notes in them, songs with long notes in them, songs to inspire, songs with passion, songs to make you cry, songs to make you want to leap up and dance to let the fizziness out and ... songs ... rather than the utter shite that seems to be broadcast every 20 minutes these days? I'm pretty sure I could "sample" the 100 most-played "songs" on Capital and make a single track that sounds like the most bored zombie apocalypse ever imagined.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:09 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I think I've already expressed my opinion of India in terms of certain matters, and in the interests of not activating obscenity filters on planets orbiting other stars I shall refrain from repeating myself while intoxicated.

Today, in the papers, there is mention of someone in India being upset by Coldplay's latest video protraying India as "all holy men and pagan festivals."

You'd think they'd be grateful for any publicity that suggests even a few of the men there could possibly qualify as holy, wouldn't you? What would they prefer, [redacted to avoid triggering obscenity filters in other spiral arms of the galaxy]?

As for Coldplay, when they first launched someone on Radio 1 said: "I think they're brilliant so I'm going to play this loads this week so it gets loads of airtime to sit gets pushed up the charts so we get to play it loads next week as well," and I recently read that Radio 1 has an algorithm to predict which "songs" will be big hits so they can play them loads. Anyone familiar with the concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy? No wonder the $#!+ on "hit radio" these days all sounds the same. I'd hate ISIS less for at least a week if they'd blow Radio 1 and Capital off the air.

Anyone remember when there used to be music on the radio? You know, songs to best friends in pain like Chiquitita, memories of the passions of youth like Fernando, furious anti-war rants like 2 Minutes to Midnight and Civil War, daydreamy songs like Michelle and Girl, pleas for face-to-face sharing of humanity like Sounds of Silence, things like Blue Suede Shoes and Pretty Woman, songs that'll make your chest ache in UltraStar or Permormous like It's All Coming Back To Me Now, auto-biographical songs like Object In The Rear-View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are, songs with lots of actual notes in them, songs with long notes in them, songs to inspire, songs with passion, songs to make you cry, songs to make you want to leap up and dance to let the fizziness out and ... songs ... rather than the utter shite that seems to be broadcast every 20 minutes these days? I'm pretty sure I could "sample" the 100 most-played "songs" on Capital and make a single track that sounds like the most bored zombie apocalypse ever imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpB_40hYjXU

Every pop song ever, in 4 chords.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

Chords? That'd require a guitarist.

Iron Maiden had bass, rhythm and lead guitar.

Not everyong can find a mate who can play lead guitar, so rather than admitting they needed someone who could they said they had a new style called "rhythm and bass." Not everyone's actually got rhythm*, though, so some of them are just "drum and bass" and the drum's actually a computer. Then some people decided even bass guitar's too much like hard work and dropped that too, along with all those outdated concepts like A, Bb, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, major fifths, arpeggios, emotion and lyrics.

* Dance Central apparently has a special mode in which you actually have to time your moves to match the beat.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 pm UTC

As someone who has only played the piano, I am well acquaited with cords.

I'm going to ignore your backwards comments on India for now. Mainly because I'm too tired and fed up of this headache - late shifts are not fun.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:56 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I think I've already expressed my opinion of India in terms of certain matters, and in the interests of not activating obscenity filters on planets orbiting other stars I shall refrain from repeating myself while intoxicated.

... no, as a matter of fact as it turns out we're not "grateful" for white people's disgusting fetishization and being reduced to simplistic stereotypes. india is more than white people's dumb exotic mystical fantasy land and that video was both boring and gross just like your comment.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:59 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Chords? That'd require a guitarist.
You evidently know as little about music as you do about India.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:41 am UTC

Guys remember when music I liked was on the radio

good times
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

doogly

Postby doogly » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:32 am UTC

Now the music I very consciously didn't listen to when I was 13 is back on the radio, so I feel both musically disappointed *and* pandered to. Like they're pandering to me wrong. It's the worst. It's like when my prom date encouragingly told me Blink 182 was punk. She will never be forgiven.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:05 am UTC

Blink 182 were a bunch of posers. Nothing like System of a Down or Nirvana (rip Cobain)
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:45 am UTC

System of a down was cool, but we also had Rammstein, Tool and Nightwish in the charts. Those were the times! Sadly there were enough people who bough stuff like supergabber to place it in the charts too.

(to be fair, nowadays I mostly ignore radio and the bar I go to has a good coverband on the Saturdays that can do a decent Schizm)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:59 am UTC

At least Hakkûhbar didn't sound bland or was frying vocals. I like it. "it" meaning one track, because it's all the same. :D

(For context, I was a wee little boy when it came out, so pop-culture was already moving away from gabber/eurodance when I first heard it.)

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 pm UTC

You kids (and gramps) need to get off my overgrown lawn and learn to appreciate all music!

You just need to treat music like food - a spectrum of "acquired tastes" intersected by an axis of quality.

The difference is that you can sample music as much as you have aural time available until you learn to appreciate it.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:00 pm UTC

I don't want to develop a taste for Head-Banger Rap/Rock.
I choose to firmly hold to my distaste for hitting myself in the head
Last edited by addams on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Anyone remember when there used to be music on the radio?

Dream answered your inane question over five years ago.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:36 pm UTC

Unfortunately, dream failed to take into account that the radio is in an office where several other people spend a lot of time, and some of them are in the utterly reprehensible habit of tuning it to Capital Radio, which is one of those stations that plays Justin Bieber 72 times a day for a month. Before that it was some guy droning on about how his ex-gf noticed what a crap bf he was and moved on, and trying to tell her she shouldn't be having a good time at all ever and shouldn't ever meet anyone without waiting for him to introduce them, which I thought came across kind of Josef Fritzl. Before you ask, no, I'm not allowed to wear a personal stereo with noise-cancelling headphones all day.

We do have various other stations, of course, and some of them do play actual music. Smooth, Classic and a few others are owned by the same company as Capital and work on the same model of buying permission to broadcast about a dozen tracks as much as they want for an entire month. Radio 3 plays a much wider range of classical music, and the presenters will happily tell you all about the distant family connections between the second violinist in the recording you're about to hear and the conductor of the original performance at the Tsar's second cousin's daughter's school-friend's brother-in-law's birthday.

On my shelf, I have:
Chopin's Greatest Hits
Piano Nocturnes
Best of Romantic Piano Music
The World of Borodin
Grieg: Peer Gynt Suiten und Klavierkonzert
The Art of Ashkenazy
Bach Toccata and Fugue and Air on a G String
Dvorak Symphony No. 9
Classic FM Hall of Fame 2005 / Hall of Fame 2000 / At The Movies / Gold / Smooth Classics for Rough Days
Laura Wright Glorious / The Last Rose
Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2 and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Lesley Garrett Songs To Sing
Opera Babes Beyond Imagination
Hayley Westenra Pure / Odyssey
Amy Nuttall Best Days
Brahms Cello Sonatas
bond BOND
All Angels
Jackie Evancho Dream With Me
Celtic Woman A New Journey
Charlotte Church Charlotte Church / Enchantment / Dream a Dream / Voice of an Angel
ABBA Waterloo / Gold / More Gold
Everlasting Love
The Very Best of Lena Horne
Gerry & The Pacemakers
Billie Jo Spears
Evanescence Fallen / The Open Door
Becky Jane Taylor By Your Side
The Best Of Gloria Gaynor
Dido Safe Trip Home / No Angel / Life For Rent
Natasha Marsh Amour
Metallica Vertigo
The Three Degrees and the Ladies Of The Supremes
Bon Jovi Cross Road
Guns 'n' Roses Greatest Hits
The Best of Cher
Judy Collins Forever
Billy Joel The Ultimate Collection
Celine Dion The Colour Of My Love / Falling Into You
The Bangles Greatest Hits / Best Of The Bangles
The All-Time Greatest Movie Songs
The Beatles Red White & Blue albums
The Best of James Bond 30th Anniversary Collection
The Very Best of The Eagles
Sarah Brightman Eden / La Luna / Fly / Harem
Sheena Easton Classic Masters / 20 Great Love Songs / Fabulous / The Best Of
Kim Wilde The Collection / The Very Best Of
Madonna Celebration
Starship We Built This City
Duran Duran Greatest
Enya A Box Of Dreams
Skid Row
Iron Maiden Live at Donnington / Ed Hunter / Fear Of The Dark / Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son / Brave New World
Girlschool The Collection
Scorpions Classic Bites / Taken By Force / Moment Of Glory
The Crow OST
Meat Loaf & Bonnie Tyler Heaven And Hell
The Very Best of Meat Loaf
The Sisters Of Mercy First And Last And Always / Some Girls Wander By Mistake / A Slight Case Of Overbombing
The Cure Kiss Me / Wild Mood Swings / Staring At The Sea
Deathmole Permanence
Femme Fatale
Volvox
The Best of The Runaways
Vixen
Vixen Live in Sweden
Hanoi Rocks, Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes
Cheetah Rock 'n' Roll Women
Vixen Rev It Up
Saraya
Phantom Blue Built To Perform
Sanna Nielsen 7 / 16 Best / Stronger
Motion Device Eternalize
Wicked original Broadway cast recording
Classic Rock
The Remains Of Tom Lehrer
The Complete Flanders & Swann
a couple of Vietnamese albums whose names I can't type with this keyboard and an Iranian album whose name I can't be bothered to copy character-by-character from Al Jazeera's website, plus some other stuff.

Yeah. As I've said before, I really only like one kind of music: not rap.

So go on. Tell me again how I know nothing at all about music whatsoever because you've played piano. While you're at it, tell me that because you grew up in London I can't possibly know anything about poverty. Tell us all how little of the world I've seen, too, without actually looking in my passport or asking me.

Yeah, stereotpyes are offensive. I know. Been on the receiving end of plenty myself. By the way, what is my sexual preference? Surely you know everything about me. No? Well, no matter.

What I found funny about that story, in the world-weary, sick and cynical way I sometimes find some stories funny, was that someone finally flipped at the portrayal of India in that video and pointed out that India has several malls.

Of course it was a shit video. It was Coldplay. It was the crappy band that Radio 1 didn't even try to pretend they weren't pushing up their own charts. They're like our version of Justin Bieber. I never said I liked the video or thought it was a realistic portrayal of India. I just found it really frickin' funny that after the last 24 months' news from there someone finally went PING over a shitty music video portraying Indian men as holy and tried to say India was a better place than that shown in the video because India has malls. That's like this guy getting pissed off because someone said his socks smelled bad and pointing out that he's wearing a baseball cap!

Oh, hey, I mentioned Josef Fritzl. Anyone want to tell me what stereotypes I believe about Austria? I mean, surely, my thoughts and opinions about the whole country must all be made entirely clear from that one line up there. It's not like I've ever BEEN there ... is it?

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:04 pm UTC

I'd like to take the time to say: 'Thanks for really coming out and doubling down on the stuff that everyone's telling you to cut out. I can't even tell if you're trolling!'
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm UTC

Well, okay, then. No having an opinion, no claiming to know anything and no claiming to have any experience of anything or taste in anything. Gotcha. So, er, like, how can you guys be so, like, sure the Earth isn't, like, flat?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 pm UTC

Yes, it's definitely "having an opinion" that's the problem, and not "being a racist asshole".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:44 pm UTC

viewtopic.php?p=2270430#p2270430
How interesting.

A conversation from 2010 needs to happen again?

The subject is Music.
Our Auditory Landscape.

Might be The Point: #1.
Spoiler:
I vaguely remember talk about Peace and Quiet as legally enforceable Rights.
I also remember the Enforcers breaking the Law with the glee of Jr. High Students.

Might be The Point: #2.
Spoiler:
What other people put inside their heads is "None of Your Fucking Business".

People are Free! to consume any media that pleases them.
Until...That media starts spilling over out of their heads and into My World! or Yours.

Might be The Point: #3.
Spoiler:
What if Suddenly, ....No Media.
What would be left behind in your Head?

Might be The Point: #4.
Spoiler:
Some people, as a condition of their employment, must subject themselves to an 8 hour auditory beating.

I know it is an important conversion.
I don't know what The Point is.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

doogly

Postby doogly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:30 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:I'd like to take the time to say: 'Thanks for really coming out and doubling down on the stuff that everyone's telling you to cut out. I can't even tell if you're trolling!'

The double down is the most venerable gambit.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:52 am UTC

Well maybe we just don't get Sableagle's wacky sense of cynical, world-weary humour. You know the kind that makes you say [redacted expletives] about Indian people, or like all music except just rap.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:07 am UTC

I'm not going to make it and I have no idea how to even feel about it anymore, I'm so tired of life.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:12 am UTC

I wish I could make it better. You're kind of a jerk, but you're kind of cool.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:12 pm UTC

Maybe I should clarify that I use "they" because I can't be bothered to type out "he / she / shi / hi / ho / hu / shu / sho / sha / ha / tha / hshe / va / dog / His Dudeness / it / deva" every time and didn't want to assume one of those was correct. I meant the one person who suddenly got really upset about the video not concentrating on one of the many malls and asked "why the white man can't understand." yes, the white man. Pict, Celt, Angle, Saxon, Norse, Frank, Gaul, Breton, Basque, Catalan, Italian, Tyrolean, Teuton, Goth, Slav, whatever. The white man apparently can't understand that India isn't all holy men and pagan festivals, or whatever exact phrase he / she / shi / hi / ho / hu / shu / sho / sha / ha / tha / hshe / va / dog / His Dudeness / it / deva said.

I don't know exactly who "the white man" is or where he lives, but if he can get an internet connection out there and wants to know more maybe he should J F G I, or maybe check out a travel blog or two, or ask the UN, who have a tendency to report their concerns about things like racial discrimination. If that doesn't interest "the white man" then perhaps "the white man" would prefer a visual representation allowing comparisons to be made. If he's really brave he could visit, but then we'd never know whether we were dealing with the real the white man or a fake the white man even again. Also: vaccines are required.

doogly

Postby doogly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

yeah we're upset with your use of "they"

you got it

bingo

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

Ah yes, the central problem in racism rises again - that white men don't get enough respect for their heritage and culture in this world.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:43 pm UTC

Did you say "they"? I didn't even notice, since singular gender-neutral "they" has not only always been accepted but is actually actively expected here.

No, the problem is your arrogance and racism, as has been implied or stated all along.
---

(he/him/his)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:37 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Sadly there were enough people who bough stuff like supergabber to place it in the charts too.
You know, I'd never heard of that one. I just had to check it out. It was ... interesting, at least the first time. It really, really, could have been a lot worse.

I am not able, at this time, to fully explain why that video was ever made.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am UTC

That one is hilarious. (fyi: AFAIK the accent is as fake as a $14.58 bill and the country Molvania does not exist)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:06 pm UTC

I always liked I am The Antipope better.

But yes, why do comedians make things? It's an inexplicable mystery for the ages, with nothing to do about promoting a parody travel guide which is now a series, apparently.

Yellow, on the other hand... I blame the '80s. And by blame the '80s, I mean cocaine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”