Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dthen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am UTC

maninblack wrote:I don't like cats. All this talk of cats annoys me.
/Mini rant.

We can not be friends.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

emceng wrote:New rules at work. So now when I order something I need today, I have to tell person A to order it, then wait for person B to approve it. It's $66 freaking dollars. I'd just order it with my credit card and expense the damned thing if I could. Basically, screw you accounting department.


This didn't accurately convey the situation. What I mean is this - I am approved to sign for purchases up to $5k. But in this instance, can't approve a 66 freaking dollar expense. So instead of taking 5 minutes on this, three poeple had to be involved and it took more than 2 hours.

Plus, the pdf that was ordered has some funky encryption bullshit. So had three IT guys trying to figure it out for a while yesterday, and still can't access it or print it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

I fucking hate PDFs. I can never get them to work properly on my machine, and whenever I try to print them, they either cause my machine to freeze, or they do not print about half the image. Additionally, any encryption we get with them is inevitably fucked up, which leads to them being sent over regular channels un-encrypted, which the whole fucking point of sending fucking encrypted fucking PDFs, is to NOT DO THAT.

Fucking PDFs.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
The EGE
not very good at pickup limes
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The EGE » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

Related rant: why do you have to buy a 200-dollar copy of Adobe Reader just to tile print? And why does nothing work with a 9000x6000, 16MB image? All I wanted was to print out a neat old map.

After crashing Publisher and Inkscape, finding that Word and Powerpoint automatically downscale, and trying a host of freeware rasterizers, I finally hit on a solution.

GIMP can work with the file at native resolution and save as .PDF. Adobe Reader still won't tile print, but this PDF tiler will.

I know I have a nice poster-sized map ready to go on my wall.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:Related rant: why do you have to buy a 200-dollar copy of Adobe Reader just to tile print? And why does nothing work with a 9000x6000, 16MB image? All I wanted was to print out a neat old map.

After crashing Publisher and Inkscape, finding that Word and Powerpoint automatically downscale, and trying a host of freeware rasterizers, I finally hit on a solution.

GIMP can work with the file at native resolution and save as .PDF. Adobe Reader still won't tile print, but this PDF tiler will.

I know I have a nice poster-sized map ready to go on my wall.

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/ posterazor is another good solution for such things
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

maninblack
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 pm UTC
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby maninblack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

Ick. This office coffee taste like crap. That is all.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

maninblack wrote:Ick. This office coffee taste like crap. That is all.

I read that as office hand sanitiser.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

If you make the coffee irish enough, it could be both.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 am UTC

If you are me, no coffee is crap. Just medicine with good or bad side effects.

God, I love coffee.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:06 am UTC

It's so cold and windy today. :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby poxic » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:30 am UTC

Wotthehell is going on with YouTube? Are their servers in a Sandy-fied area? The load times are erratic and occasionally nonexistent. I am annoyed in a somewhat first-world-problem kind of way.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

User avatar
thorgold
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby thorgold » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:It's so cold and windy today. :(

Are you in the Midwest? It's suicide weather today. I seriously wonder how the weather is affecting me despite my being completely isolated from the outside environment - I'm in a heated basement with no windows to the outside and an ambient temperature of 68 degrees. Why do I still feel as crappy as if I was sitting outside in the dullness of a November cold front? What sensory trigger is telling me "Today is a melancholy day. Be tired and depressed." that can pierce home climate controls?
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:56 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Wotthehell is going on with YouTube? Are their servers in a Sandy-fied area? The load times are erratic and occasionally nonexistent. I am annoyed in a somewhat first-world-problem kind of way.

I find it annoying how some youtube videos buffer extremely quickly, but others so slowly it can't even maintain playback without pausing every few seconds. Click a related video - super fast download. Click back, still ridiculously slow.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:16 am UTC

thorgold wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:It's so cold and windy today. :(

Are you in the Midwest? It's suicide weather today. I seriously wonder how the weather is affecting me despite my being completely isolated from the outside environment - I'm in a heated basement with no windows to the outside and an ambient temperature of 68 degrees. Why do I still feel as crappy as if I was sitting outside in the dullness of a November cold front? What sensory trigger is telling me "Today is a melancholy day. Be tired and depressed." that can pierce home climate controls?


No, I'm in Las Vegas, which makes it so wrong.

I made a chart.

Image

The average high temperature this time of the year in Las Vegas is about 70 degrees F (21.1 degrees C). The temperature was about average earlier this week, reaching 83 degrees F (28.3 degrees C), but then yesterday, the wind drove the temperatures down below 60 degrees F (15.6 degrees C).

The blue denotes wind chill, by the way.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:17 am UTC

I like that chart. It's pretty.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:49 am UTC

Thanks. I like to make charts and graphs of random stuff from time to time.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
darknut
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:40 am UTC
Location: here

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby darknut » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:15 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:its 15 degrees in november!

hahahahaha
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 am UTC

darknut wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:its 15 degrees in november!

hahahahaha

I lived in Anchorage for three years before moving to Las Vegas. I was so used to the cold temperatures there that 35°F (1.7°C) was practically shorts-and-a-T-shirt weather. I am ashamed that one summer here in Vegas has shattered all the work my body did to adapt to the frigid Alaskan climate.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

All you crazies and your cold weather. I got to work today and it was 48F outside. I consider this very cold. I will never be able to live outside of california. haha.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Why do circuits on sodbuggering strip board never fucking work? Now I have to desolder a 28 pin chip to find out if it's fried or not.

User avatar
Kick
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 am UTC

I am never satisfied with haircuts, and I'm never satisfied with my hair. I don't know what I should do about this. Ugh.
I'm never sarcastic.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am UTC

I allowed my mom to fill our house with an ever-increasing number of cats (currently at four: one we've had for years, one we've recently gotten and are keeping, and two we're keeping temporarily), only for the two temporary ones to get sick. One of them is currently stuck in the room my computer's in, vomiting. I sure hope she doesn't vomit on anything important...
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Kick wrote:I am never satisfied with haircuts, and I'm never satisfied with my hair. I don't know what I should do about this. Ugh.

Give up all hope and develop a complex. That's what I did.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Jumble
Posts: 1184
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 am UTC
Location: London(ish), UK.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jumble » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 pm UTC

From me, this evening, after a crap day at work and the usual assortment of bills and flyers awaiting me in the post at home:

Dear Sir

I enclose your offer to apply for a platinum American Express card. You will note that I have neither completed nor signed it.

For your records it may interest you to know that some 20 years ago I was made redundant whilst in possession of an American Express card. It will no doubt please you that your records department were so efficient that within 48 hours of loosing my job I received notification from your company that my American Express card facility had been withdrawn, demanding the return or destruction of the card. Clearly your clarity and timeliness was an enormous source of support to me at a difficult time.

I thought I should mention this:
• To explain why I have studiously ignored and shredded every offer of credit that you have sent me since my return to employment (5 days after I was made redundant)
• To suggest that you do not waste any more of your time or the planet's resources writing to me as there is no way, in this lifetime, that I shall ever conduct business with your organisation or recommend your services to anyone I know and even vaguely respect
• To suggest that if you wish to entice customer loyalty you start by demonstrating some yourselves

I look forward to never hearing from you again.

Yours sincerely





I feel so much better...
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:From me, this evening, after a crap day at work and the usual assortment of bills and flyers awaiting me in the post at home:

[snipped]

I feel so much better...


Nice. I do a similar thing, when I get junk offers in the mail I take all the packaging and nonsense they send, and stuff it into the pre-paid envelope for mailing back to them with a note along the lines of "I seem to have recieved this junk from you in error, so here it is back. You're welcome."

They can have their junk back thanks.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
boXd
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:05 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby boXd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:All you crazies and your cold weather. I got to work today and it was 48F outside. I consider this very cold. I will never be able to live outside of california. haha.


I'd gladly move somewhere warmer, but, being in the Netherlands, it doesn't matter much where I live. (And although I *do* speak English, I wouldn't look forward to being a foreigner somewhere else, either.) Gah, I hate this weather. I want my own fusion pod.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

Freaking DRM. Had to order a standard for work. So receptionist orders it(after having to have a freaking $66 expense approved). I can't open it. She can sometimes. No one else can. Can't print it either. Apparently our firewall blocks something with the DRM. Plus, the standard says it has been printed twice already, when we can't even open the damned thing.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

When I'm particularly tired, yawning makes me feel slightly nauseated.

That's just cruel, body, I mean REALLY.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

maninblack
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 pm UTC
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby maninblack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

I care way too much about what's on the internet.

I'm sad that more people aren't participating in my interview, and I'm upset by political postings on Facebook even tho' i know neither of those things matter. Bah!
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:40 am UTC

Spoiled for almost serious injury
Spoiler:
I almost got hit by a car today. The girl in the car looked left and right and then turned and almost took my legs off. And she didn't even say sorry. She didn't even look surprised. Just annoyed, like I was in her way. YOU COULD HAVE PARALYZED ME!!!!!!! YOU DO NOT GET TO HAVE AN ATTITUDE!!!!!!!! DIE IN A FIRE!!!!!!!!
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 am UTC

The only times pedestrian me has been cussed out by a driver was when they nearly flattened me. At least one guy had the grace (?) to appear to realise that he was the ass, so looked away angrily after a moment. :|
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

User avatar
farnsworth
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:11 pm UTC
Location: I don't know. Texas?

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby farnsworth » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 am UTC

Okay. We are reading Macbeth, and my English teacher insists that Shakespeare's works were written in Middle English. While one could argue that Shakespeare wrote in Late Middle English, there's quite a difference between that and what "Middle English" usually refers to.

I mean, Middle English looks like this:
Chaucer wrote:Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

And Shakespearian English (aka Early Modern English) looks like this:
Shakespeare wrote:Was the hope drunk
wherein you dress'd yourself? Hath it slept since?
And wakes it now, to look so green and pale
At what it did so freely? From this time
Such I account thy love. Art thou afeard
To be the same in thine own act and valour
As thou art in desire?


She also doesn't believe that thou is informal compared to you.

Shouldn't English Literature teachers be educated in the history of the English language? :roll:

/high school language nerd

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby K-R » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

poxic wrote:The only times pedestrian me has been cussed out by a driver was when they nearly flattened me. At least one guy had the grace (?) to appear to realise that he was the ass, so looked away angrily after a moment. :|

Only time I've ever been yelled at by a driver was when they got sick of me sitting at a stop sign for about five minutes repeatedly stalling the car (on an uphill slope, btw)...as a learner. And that was the day I gave up learning to drive.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

A car is just a box with wheels, that you sit, in to swear at people.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Dason
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 am UTC
Location: ~/

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dason » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:A car is just a box with wheels, that you sit, in to swear at people.

What is going on with those commas?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1398
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Dason wrote:
freezeblade wrote:A car is just a box with wheels, that you sit, in to swear at people.

What is going on with those commas?


hah. Teaches me to just push submit. Second comma goes after in, not sit.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

I don't think it really needs commas at all, and if it does probably only the one (the first). Unless you're trying to use it for a comedic pause effect before "to yell at people", which I suppose might work.

I can't remember being yelled at by many drivers, but I was in a taxi recently where someone cut the driver up (the cars got within a couple of inches), and the taxi driver went nuts - he floored it to overtake the offending car, yelled out the window while passing, then once in front he slammed on the brakes, and proceeded to drive at half the speed limit (which, this being on a major road, was still fairly fast), swerving all over the road to prevent the guy behind overtaking, while I sat in the back of the cab wondering if I was about to die.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 am UTC

I'm getting pretty sick of these right wing extremist internet idiots whose idea of political discussion involves slinging around accusations of "Marxist," "Communist," and "socialist," who take for granted vast "libtard" conspiracies, who constantly congratulate themselves for their superior intelligence, who think public education of any kind is brainwashing, who think Obama is a "traitor" and "dictator" and whine about the election being stolen and advocate secession and rebellion and spew bigoted bullshit about black people, women, gays, Muslims, etc., just a constant repetition of knuckle-dragging hateful fucking lunacy. And by "pretty sick of" I mean I actually have a very hard heart toward them, don't care if they live or die, and think maybe they should all move to their own special country so we can destroy them with nuclear weapons. And I know that's a pretty hypocritical, hateful kind of statement to make. But honestly, are they ever going to improve? Children now tweeting about the "nigger" in the White House, are they going to grow up to become more reasonable? I don't think so. They're here to stay, they're proud of their batshit crazy conspiratorial thinking and their bloody right to freely express whatever vile loathsome stupid words and deeds they have and frankly they're dangerous and I hate them all, as a rule.

elminster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: London, UK, Dimensions 1 to 42.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby elminster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

It's easier to jump on a bandwagon to make yourself sound smarter than to read into it and form your own opinion.

If only I had a CNC machine, I'd replace all these shitty little plastic bits manufacturers use in critical areas with metal pieces that don't break. Just recently, a small bit of the oven door bracket broke (in a way that's indicative of bad design) and, given that it's one of the most commonly replaced parts (according to a parts replacement stockist), they could have just made it out of metal and be done with it.
Sometimes I just look at products and wonder what kinda margins they're trying to make when they skimp on everything they possibly can, saving 1% on manufacture, but drastically reducing lifespan. A good example would be thickness of moulded plastic at load baring points.
Not to say all plastic is bad; given that some are more resistant to breakage than quite a lot of metals.
Image

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

A CNC machine, you say? I'm working on developing an ultra cheap one built from laser cut acrylic. Not sure it would be much good for cutting metal, but you could make a pattern out of something softer and then cast copies in aluminium.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dinatainete and 18 guests