Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:38 am UTC

I think I must be weird to be one of those who think "unless your daily routine involves carrying lots of stuff, or it's very far commute, or you need to carry passengers, ride a bike." Nobody here (as in, my country/community) seems to believe that. They also get you free exercise!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I think I must be weird to be one of those who think "unless your daily routine involves carrying lots of stuff, or it's very far commute, or you need to carry passengers, ride a bike." Nobody here (as in, my country/community) seems to believe that. They also get you free exercise!

Yeah, there's no way I would do that. Yeah, a 12 mile bike ride to work every day would put me in better shape, but I have good and sufficient reason to not do so.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

userxp

Postby userxp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

-Things that are poorly designed and annoying, #23975: Websites that log you out after an excessively short period of inactivity.
-Things that are poorly designed and annoying, #23976: Websites that don't redirect you to the previous page when you log in.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Steax wrote:I think I must be weird to be one of those who think "unless your daily routine involves carrying lots of stuff, or it's very far commute, or you need to carry passengers, ride a bike." Nobody here (as in, my country/community) seems to believe that. They also get you free exercise!

Yeah, there's no way I would do that. Yeah, a 12 mile bike ride to work every day would put me in better shape, but I have good and sufficient reason to not do so.

12 miles is a bit too far. =/

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Why the hell does an iphone cost nearly four times as much in the UK?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Why the hell does an iphone cost nearly four times as much in the UK?

I am guessing it has to do with carrier contracts.The cheapest iPhones in the US are actually $650, your carrier just discounts you $450 when you sign a contract. How long are the contracts in the UK, and how expensive? If they are short and cheaper, the carriers might have to charge more for the phone.

EDIT: Yeah, so carriers in the UK don't discount at all. So $650 in the US, £499 =$784 in the UK. Your getting screwed by $134, but not 4 times the actual costs.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

I think I paid £180 for my 32gig iPhone 4 + a contract (with insurance) that hits my bank balance for £40 per month--by far the most expensive thing I get debited for, barring my mortgage, council tax and maintenance. My contract is 2 years which means I cumulatively pay £1180. Then again this includes unlimited texts, 1000 minutes per month (of which I use about... 12?), 'unlimited' data (basically 1 Gigabubble a month) and insurance from theft and damage (highly likely!)

With a 'free' phone, the same tariff is still ~£30 per month (minutes/texts/data usage/insurance), which is par for the course when owning a contract phone in this country, so say an identical subscription costs £720 over a 2-year period, I'm ending up paying £460 for a S-M-R-Tphone (basically on Finance for 2 years, rather than an upfront lump payment, which I could never afford as it is), or $720 in your currency, today. So you're looking at a $500 phone that you purchase over 2 years, and the accumulated interest makes it $720 (I haven't done the maths as I'm not mathemological enough to work out average interest rates, but I'm pulling that ballpark figure from the University of My Ass).

I'm at the stage (12+ months) where I can switch to a cheaper tariff for no extra charge, which you have just reminded me of, so I'mma go search my options, as £40 a month for minutes and texts I never use is a bit too much for my meagre salary. Unfortunately, if I go for lower minutes & texts, the level of data usage goes down, too, and I totally 3G more than a gig every month (I get notifications of reaching my limit regularly) so I've stopped buying and downloading Apps when I'm not near Wireless Fireless.

Still, in terms of usage ratio, I'm paying about 12p per hour of use (sans cost of apps), as I'm constantly playing games and things. Which is more than I can say for my DS, which even though I didn't pay for it (inherited from an ex who never played it), it would probably have cost me £3 for each hour of usage (sans cost of games). I worked out that my PC costs me 46p per hour of usage. Comparatively, the cinema costs £4-5 per hour of usage. A West End musical ~£15-20, a gig ~£15-20 (if you discount the hours of waiting for the band to frucking come on stage), the opera £3-£3000, a 'trendy' nightclub ~£5 if you stay for four hours, a pub £3 (if you buy your own drinks and drink 2 units of alcohol per hour) and my library 0p per hour of entertainment. I regard my phone as a purely entertainment device. And it's useful as fuck in all other aspects of my out-of-the-home life, too.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

A+ post would read again.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Didn't stop a rampaging mob of lunatics in my country go "LOOK, APPLE IPHONE 4 ARE ONLY $200! WHAT IS THIS $500 DEAL YOU'RE SELLING US?!" when the $500 one comes with no contract. See, this is the problem with price tags on websites. Apple seems to have been pushed into the pricing corner by the carriers.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

I don't know who designed this document, but I'd like to stab them. 50 or so rows of 7 columns of essentially random numbers I have to hard code? ARRRRG.

Quick, find the pattern (the 0000s haven't been filled in, don't worry, they don't help because the pattern doesn't exist):

Code: Select all

new[] {5032, 5074, 5115, 5116, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5044, 5085, 5135, 5411, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5055, 5096, 5150, 5189, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5066, 5108, 5182, 5206, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5069, 5292, 5302, 5412, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5070, 5293, 5303, 5413, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5276, 5300, 5304, 5414, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5072, 5294, 5305, 5415, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
new[] {5073, 5295, 5306, 5416, 0000, 0000, 0000, 0000},
... TOO MANY FUCKING ROWS ...

I particularly "like" some of the anti-patterns like "5069; 5070; haha fuck you, you thought this would be 5071 didn't you? 5276. why? NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS; 5072.."
Last edited by Xeio on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

So if I'm reading you all right, there's some fuckery going on with the carriers such that you wind up paying roughly the same either way?

Also, if I buy an iphone online, how do I then get set up with a carrier or whatever?

(Read: I have no clue how phone things work. I just want a working iphone that's not costing too abhorrent an amount.)
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Why is it so damn difficult to find even the most basic pieces of equipment or supplies in the lab? I'm increasingly convinced I'll die in a freak accident involving electrocution or fire sometime soon.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Oh man, the window cleaning? Like, from squeaky noises? Gee, I wish I were even capable of homicidal rage when that happens. Whereas my body is literally disabled for half a second.

The rage part seems more common.

edit: And now for some random bitch-ass tears. Wuh?
Also, what's the evolutionary advantage of tears while alone?

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:23 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:So if I'm reading you all right, there's some fuckery going on with the carriers such that you wind up paying roughly the same either way?

In the US, you buy an iPhone for Z$ and are locked into a contract paying Y$ per month for K months.
In the UK, you buy an iPhone for (Z+K*X)$ and are not locked into a contract. Getting service costs (Y-X)$ per month.
Total costs after K months in both cases: (Z+YK)$
Also, if I buy an iphone online, how do I then get set up with a carrier or whatever?

It depends. On the country you live in, the type of service, the laws about locking down phones, if the phone is locked down, how much the carriers rip you off to get "connected" with a phone they didn't sell you, and the phase of the moon.

The carriers want to sell you an iPhone for some amount, then lock you into buying their services for the rest of your natural life. In general, barring regulations to the contrary, doing anything except for that will be blocked by the carriers.
Edit: +/- error fixed.
Last edited by Yakk on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Working for the 1% kind of sucks when you are part of the 99% and have to listen to them run their mouths about OWS. Really, the Wall Street Journal is your go-to source on this protest against Wall Street? It's no wonder you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. I promise you they do know what they're protesting for.

Relevant cartoon is relevant.
Last edited by Ashlah on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:05 am UTC

Yakk wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:So if I'm reading you all right, there's some fuckery going on with the carriers such that you wind up paying roughly the same either way?

In the US, you buy an iPhone for Z$ and are locked into a contract paying Y$ per month for K months.
In the UK, you buy an iPhone for (Z-K*X)$ and are not locked into a contract. Getting service costs (Y-X)$ per month.
Total costs after K months in both cases: (Z+YK)$

Alright, so yes, it's basically the same, they're just charging differently because they're stupid.

It depends. On the country you live in, the type of service, the laws about locking down phones, if the phone is locked down, how much the carriers rip you off to get "connected" with a phone they didn't sell you, and the phase of the moon.

UK, probably unlimited data and stuff + international calling, I've no idea, same, probably a lot, hopefully some time between the current waning gibbous and the end of the next waxing crescent.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 am UTC

Are you looking at contract or pay as you go? It sounds like you're thinking of just buying the phone from Apple or something, then setting it up from there? If you do that, you then need to pick a network and get yourself a sim, either pay as you go or on contract, depending. Or you can go straight to the network and set up a contract where you'll have a smaller up front cost and bigger monthly payments. Just go around to all their websites and see where it gets you. I am not sure if you might have a bit of trouble getting a contract though, being (if I remember correctly) an international student so having no credit and possibly some difficulties with proof of address? Oh, and if you decide to go on 3, send me a PM, I can refer you and we can both get £30. (I'm still a bit annoyed that my flatmate went on 3 without mentioning it so I missed out on the £30, so I basically mention this every time someone is talking about getting a new phone now. :P)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:39 am UTC

Contract. And yeah, if I buy online then I don't get any sort of carrier; I'd have to go to a physical store for that.

I suppose I personally don't have any credit and I am an international student, but it'll be my family paying for it and I know that I can get the uni to print me up a letter proving I live here if need be.

As for which carrier, the internet seems to be somewhat inconsistent on where they cover, buy anecdata says that vodaphone is bad, orange is good, and the rest I haven't heard much about. As for how terrible their contracts are, I haven't looked yet. But sure, I'll PM you if I wind up going with 3.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:54 am UTC

Asking around is a much better way to find out about coverage than looking at any sort of coverage maps or anything, and it will give you a much more specific idea of what things are like. (If you look at a coverage map of Durham, for example, it will generally fail to show the massive black hole in almost every network that is my former college.) I'd advise having a good look at exactly what every network offers online before going in though; it speeds up the process considerably if you know exactly what you want, and can give you a bit of leverage to get a better deal if you know what the competition is offering.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Bah, I hate when I lose the URLs of something interesting I found on the internet.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Rant the first: Really counter assistant? You scan all the items in a person's basket and then pack them all, rather than pack as you go along? Do you really think that's the most efficient way of doing things?

Rant the second: I know I'm short and below most people's line of sight. I even walk with my head ducked, so I draw even less attention to myself. But I'm not invisible. Please don't walk into me when I can't possibly move out of your way and then look at me like its my fault.

I hate shopping. Really, I do.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

If it's any consolation people seem to walk into each other regardless of height. I think there was a link posted here that talked about the more distracted you appear the more likely people will get out of the way.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

Dear Adobe Acrobat:

I'm just trying to compile a fucking LaTeX document. WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME TO ADD TRUSTED CONTACTS RANDOMLY

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 am UTC

gorcee wrote:Dear Adobe Acrobat:

I'm just trying to compile a fucking LaTeX document. WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME TO ADD TRUSTED CONTACTS RANDOMLY

Why are you using Adobe Acrobat to compile a LaTeX document? There are so many free programs that work much more reliably (Unless you're using some arcane function that only Acrobat has or something).
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:
gorcee wrote:Dear Adobe Acrobat:

Why are you using Adobe Acrobat to compile a LaTeX document? There are so many free programs that work much more reliably (Unless you're using some arcane function that only Acrobat has or something).

Adobe's not the the thing that's compiling, it's just the reader. But it's linked into my editor, and it worked fine until I upgraded.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Pant: iTunes is reading comments in my hosts file.

I want to update my phone to iOS 5, but iTunes claims it can't contact the software server. Googling the problem leads me to tons of links where people are suggesting adding the line "# 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com" to your hosts file to fix the problem.

That is a fucking comment line.

It's also my fucking hosts file.

How about you just tell the OS what name you're looking up and let it do its job, rather than reading god damned comments from my god damned hosts file?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Hmm, shouldn't be doing much if it's commented out. But the hosts file is basically a way of overriding the address for a specific site, and should work to do that for any request made by any program, it's an OS thing, not specific to a certain program.

So if there's an entry in there which is called, instead of grabbing it from a DNS, it just uses the address given there for the given domain name. And the address there, 127.0.0.1 is a special one, which basically means "this" or "yourself", it always refers to the computer which is making the address request itself.

So that line is basically saying "Instead of trying to contact apple, just talk to yourself instead", it's hard to fail to contact yourself after all (Although it may also be difficult to get updates from yourself, unless that address just goes to something else, like authentication, and not the actual update site or something). :) Or at least it should do that if it's not commented out.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:59 am UTC

Okay. Person. It's not "ec cetera". It's "et cetera". Et. And.

Latin rage!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:49 am UTC

I actually had to explain that to someone yesterday because they mispelled the abbreviation "etc". The response: "Well, of course you'd know, you know a second language". :|
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:21 am UTC

There's English, and then there's the second language. Trilinguals are faking it.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

Speaking of DNS shenanigans, I couldn't access half my bookmarks this morning until I flushed the cache. Thank fuck google still worked, didn't know the command.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:31 am UTC

All right, I'm pissed off again...
Spoiler:
MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLES JUST GO THE FUCK AWAY AND LET ME TALK TO WHO I WANT DAMMIT
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ahh. Much better. I have a feeling I'll be posting in here regularly until the end of the month. By then, my life should have some consistency again. Why is it that as soon as my life starts getting better, my best friend runs away from home, my mom breaks her wrist and starts being paranoid (long story; more infuriating than it sounds), and my dad gets too damn nosy? AARRGH!!!

PS: Yes, I know; that's a helluva lot of rage icons. Because I'm in a helluva rage.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Wtf apparently The Age doesn't know what 'sceptic' means. From an article with three authors and however many editors these things go through:
"A new biography portrays Steve Jobs as a sceptic all his life - giving up religion because he was troubled by starving children, calling executives who took over Apple "corrupt" and delaying cancer surgery in favour of cleansings and herbal medicine."

Giving up religion is a sceptical act, sure, but starving children isn't really a sceptical reason. Also, having had religion in the first place doesn't really count as being a sceptic all one's life. Calling people corrupt? Need more context, but probably not. Delaying a scientifically supported medical procedure in favour of unproven woo? Kind of the opposite of sceptical. Seriously, fuck the news.

(PS, this is not a comment on the scepticality or otherwise of Steve Jobs. I've not read enough about him to have an opinion. Just panting about bloody stupid journalism.)
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

userxp

Postby userxp » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

I don't want to be grammar Nazi, but it's spelled "skeptical", with a k. And yes, many people view "skepticism" from the opposite (can also be called "wrong") point of view.

Rant: I long for the day in which neuroscience has crept into general culture. Seriously. Imagine no more people treating love, art and emotions as if they were magical things that could never be possibly explained by science. THEY ARE NOT :x .
Last edited by userxp on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

userxp wrote:I don't want to be grammar Nazi, but it's spelled "skeptical", with a k.
You forgot to bitch about how Colour doesn't have a U and how it's an elevator and not a lift.

(Sceptic is rightpondian, skeptic is leftpondian)

So yeah, there's a rant. This forum's all Internationalized and shit. Before you call someone out on spelling shit funny, do two or three seconds of research and make sure it's not just a variation that's not local or something. I mean, damn.. I'm from fricken Kentucky and I know that. And I just figured out shoes last weekend!

..of course, by the same token, before dropping a idiom or phrase, might also want to do a quick search and make sure it's used outside your region.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

userxp

Postby userxp » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

Well sorry about that, but I swear I had never seen it spelled with a c. And BTW I'm not a native English speaker, most of my vocabulary comes from the Internet.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

userxp wrote:Well sorry about that, but I swear I had never seen it spelled with a c. And BTW I'm not a native English speaker, most of my vocabulary comes from the Internet.

I'm not a native speaker either and knew the alternate spelling! YOUR IGNORANCE HAS NO EXCUSE!

By the way, we need sarcasm tags or something...

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

Wait, you can't read the sarcasm tags⸮

I mean, can you see them right here, around this sentence⸮

Is your browser broken or something⸮
Last edited by Yakk on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

userxp wrote:Well sorry about that, but I swear I had never seen it spelled with a c. And BTW I'm not a native English speaker, most of my vocabulary comes from the Internet.

Ah, that explains the American slant.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Wait, you can't read the sarcasm tags?

I mean, can you see them right here, around this sentence?

Is your browser broken or something?

I'm sorry, I can't see them.

Return to “General”