Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jawdisorder

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

I've never understood the allure of caffeine. I don't remember the last time I drank anything with it, it has likely been several years.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

I wish I could get myself on caffeine. That way, I might be more productive than a shambling zombie in the mornings. I just can't stand the taste of tea or coffee.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wish I could get myself on caffeine. That way, I might be more productive than a shambling zombie in the mornings. I just can't stand the taste of tea or coffee.

It's an acquired taste, like fluid mechanics.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wish I could get myself on caffeine. That way, I might be more productive than a shambling zombie in the mornings. I just can't stand the taste of tea or coffee.

copious amounts of cream and sugar.

In my case, my morning "coffees" are 4 oz coffee and 4 oz hot water with hot cocoa mix. Soooo good.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

What about this caffeinated soap? Has never tried it. Doubts its effectiveness. Never knows, however.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

philsov wrote:

copious amounts of cream and sugar.

In my case, my morning "coffees" are 4 oz coffee and 4 oz hot water with hot cocoa mix. Soooo good.

Sugar is a bad idea because I'm diabetic. Cream is a bad idea because I'm fat and I want to be not-fat.

Also, I've tried mochas before, which are half coffee and half hot chocolate. Couldn't stand the stuff.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote:I've never understood the allure of caffeine. I don't remember the last time I drank anything with it, it has likely been several years.
Because it makes you more awake?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
jawdisorder wrote:I've never understood the allure of caffeine. I don't remember the last time I drank anything with it, it has likely been several years.
Because it makes you more awake?

I've never really had issues staying awake and as far as I'm concerned if I'm tired I should just go to sleep.

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

I remember reading caffeine was ironically resolving symptoms of ADHD, but I never bothered to check whether that's a scientifically sound opinion or just some bull.

Going back to topic: I should really learn to deal with people who are terribly down. Best I can do is make them think of something else, but that seems rather arsehole-ish somehow.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote: as far as I'm concerned if I'm tired I should just go to sleep.
That's not usually possible at work.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Then sleep more the night before... I can make it work in college with a heavy work load and a part time job.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote:Then sleep more the night before... I can make it work in college with a heavy work load and a part time job.
I'm glad you can manage to not be tired in college with a heavy work load and a part time job. Unfortunately, you are not everyone, so your experience does not necessarily translate to everyone else.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote:Then sleep more the night before... I can make it work in college with a heavy work load and a part time job.

That's an absurd idea!
But sleeping more doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Sorry, I just find it hard to believe that so many people are so busy night after night that they can never get a full night's sleep.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

There's a lot more to energy levels and feelings of fatigue throughout the day than how much you slept the night before.

There are times when I get 7 or 8 hours and feel fine all day. There are times I only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep and I'm wide awake and alert all day long. Other times I get a solid 7 or 8 hours, but I drag all morning, pick up a bit around lunch, and want to take a nap a couple hours later.

And my daily routine through the work week really doesn't shift that much.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

i have a tendency to use caffiene in copious amounts as a mind altering drug. mainly for recreational use, or when im down. but i gotta quit doing that, its doing not so funny things to me.

jawdisorder wrote:Sorry, I just find it hard to believe that so many people are so busy night after night that they can never get a full night's sleep.

really? this is an idea you just can't imagine? i take it you don't work in IT then.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote:Sorry, I just find it hard to believe that so many people are so busy night after night that they can never get a full night's sleep.

You've never worked swing-shift, have you?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

I understand that sometimes you're just tired. Personally I just tough it out or take a nap if possible opposed to caffeine.

All of my generalities were meant to be how I treat it, not what everyone should do.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote:I understand that sometimes you're just tired. Personally I just tough it out or take a nap if possible opposed to caffeine.

All of my generalities were meant to be how I treat it, not what everyone should do.

lol, see how tough you are when you are already on 100 hours for the week, and it is only thursday.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
jawdisorder wrote:I understand that sometimes you're just tired. Personally I just tough it out or take a nap if possible opposed to caffeine.

lol, see how tough you are when you are already on 100 hours for the week, and it is only thursday.

I'll just plan on not working at a job that requires entirely unreasonable hours.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:

I'll just plan on not working at a job that requires entirely unreasonable hours.

work still needs to be done, and im getting paid for it.
its kinda hard to turn down triple over time when someone offers it.

especially if you don't do said work, client will get pissed, not use your company, and the whole company will go down in flames due to lack of business.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

It's also fairly stupid of said company to have so much relying upon one employee working triple overtime.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

And that's not something Tomlidich can control. You're being almost entirely unhelpful.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Considering his working situation has already been discussed, I wasn't really worried about repeating the options that have already been suggested to him.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Basically, what works for you won't work for everyone else, so try and avoid phrasing things as if that's your meaning.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:14 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:And that's not something Tomlidich can control. You're being almost entirely unhelpful.

Based on his previous posts, I'm almost certain that it is.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:42 am UTC

gorcee wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:And that's not something Tomlidich can control. You're being almost entirely unhelpful.

Whether it is or not, it's nobody's place to tell him he has to.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Felltir wrote:
gorcee wrote:

Whether it is or not, it's nobody's place to tell him he has to.

And not a single person here did.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:52 am UTC

Deva wrote:What about this caffeinated soap? Has never tried it. Doubts its effectiveness. Never knows, however.

Boyfriend got some a few months ago. I felt no difference, he claims he did. What does seem to work for me are the caffeinated gum and mints. (I don't like the taste of tea or coffee either).

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:32 am UTC

I tried caffeinated mints my freshman year of college. To my taste buds, their chemical flavor was akin to, but worse than, aspartame-based sweeteners. On the flip side, I've acquired a taste for both coffee and tea, and have always enjoyed caffeinated sodas. Caffeinated soap is a new one, tho... I'll have to give it a try sometime.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 am UTC

doogly wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:I went through the effort of getting myself off of caffeine. Probably one of the best decisions I've made.

I'm thinkin I'll do this when I have tenure, and can afford to get nothing done and be cranky for a month.

Caffeine tolerance and addiction actually go away within about a week of cessation, I think. It's sort of an easy-to-become, easy-to-lose addiction.

Kang wrote:I remember reading caffeine was ironically resolving symptoms of ADHD, but I never bothered to check whether that's a scientifically sound opinion or just some bull.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but that seems probable given that it's a weak CNS stimulant, and ADHD is treated with stronger stimulants (Adderall is quite literally various amphetamine preparations, and some doctors will prescribe methamphetamine if the patients have really bad attention problems.)

I have noted that caffeine tends to make people with attention issues tired, which is also weakly supportive of the hypothesis, given that Adderall makes my sister almost fall asleep.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:50 am UTC

The amount of sleep I get correlates very poorly with how awake I feel in the day. Some of the best, most alert days I've had recently have been on ~4 hours sleep, whereas today I got over 8 hours and feel really tired.

Related rant: Why am I so tired today? I don't want to be tired; I was planning on being really productive :evil:

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:12 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:There's a lot more to energy levels and feelings of fatigue throughout the day than how much you slept the night before.

There are times when I get 7 or 8 hours and feel fine all day. There are times I only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep and I'm wide awake and alert all day long. Other times I get a solid 7 or 8 hours, but I drag all morning, pick up a bit around lunch, and want to take a nap a couple hours later.

What? An aspect of human behavior that is a complex system of many variables and chaotic interrelationships? I don't believe it.

How am I supposed to look down on people when bad things happen to them, if those bad things are not caused by a simple single-input cause-and-effect loop that is entirely in the control of the person? Like tiredness and sleeping, or unemployment and effort?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:19 am UTC

phlip wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:There's a lot more to energy levels and feelings of fatigue throughout the day than how much you slept the night before.

What? An aspect of human behavior that is a complex system of many variables and chaotic interrelationships? I don't believe it.

How am I supposed to look down on people when bad things happen to them, if those bad things are not caused by a simple single-input cause-and-effect loop that is entirely in the control of the person? Like tiredness and sleeping, or unemployment and effort?

Also it's so much easier to play the victim, because some things out of your control means ALL things are out of your control!

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:10 am UTC

phlip wrote:How am I supposed to look down on people when bad things happen to them, if those bad things are not caused by a simple single-input cause-and-effect loop that is entirely in the control of the person? Like tiredness and sleeping, or unemployment and effort?

The fun solution is to drink until that silly logic thing doesn't matter.

I would also accept something along the lines of, "because the voices told me to."

Link

Postby Link » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 am UTC

Gorram rutting assbutts. My email spontaneously stopped working for Nyarlathotep-only-knows whatever reason. Spent the better part of an hour fixing it (as it turns out, changing the password made it work again), but I was already rather grumpy, and random failures are not helping.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:24 am UTC

Next time, just ask.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

Link wrote:Gorram rutting assbutts. My email spontaneously stopped working for Nyarlathotep-only-knows whatever reason. Spent the better part of an hour fixing it (as it turns out, changing the password made it work again), but I was already rather grumpy, and random failures are not helping.

lemme guess you are using some form of microsoft product somewhere in the chain?

ps: i fucking hate microsoft exchange.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

Ugh, I'm just about done with the Starfire controversy, if only for the idiocy coming from people I'd expect to be thoughtful and intelligent. Phil Plait posts about it, and one of his followers goes:
Just gotta point something out... The geeks don't exactly WANT the geek girls who're stuffy and obnoxious about a little bit of sideboob in a comic book around, if you're going to objectify it that way. Really, we'd much prefer the ones that cosplay as said scene at conventions.

I wonder if he realizes that he is the reason why intelligent women have to fight to feel at home at conventions. Or that DC will continue to die if they keep alienating half the human race.

I hate that I have a bitchin' Emma Frost costume and I was considering wearing it to Archon last weekend...but I decided not to because I was worried that I'd be a bad feminist representative if I did. I want to be sexy and express my sexiness in public, but not at the cost of reinforcing boneheaded idiots' views of women as cardboard sex cutouts.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Ugh, I'm just about done with the Starfire controversy, if only for the idiocy coming from people I'd expect to be thoughtful and intelligent. Phil Plait posts about it, and one of his followers goes:
Just gotta point something out... The geeks don't exactly WANT the geek girls who're stuffy and obnoxious about a little bit of sideboob in a comic book around, if you're going to objectify it that way. Really, we'd much prefer the ones that cosplay as said scene at conventions.

I wonder if he realizes that he is the reason why intelligent women have to fight to feel at home at conventions. Or that DC will continue to die if they keep alienating half the human race.

I hate that I have a bitchin' Emma Frost costume and I was considering wearing it to Archon last weekend...but I decided not to because I was worried that I'd be a bad feminist representative if I did. I want to be sexy and express my sexiness in public, but not at the cost of reinforcing boneheaded idiots' views of women as cardboard sex cutouts.

gotta say: very adept.

i have seen wayyy too many times some bone headed moron saying girls can't do shit. i hate people like that.

Return to “General”