Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Jumble
Posts: 1184
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 am UTC
Location: London(ish), UK.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jumble » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

But, you're the grim reaper. Aren't you supposed to be into this?
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Kang wrote:Enough with the tragedy already. Really.


You should see this dude in the LSR forum.

User avatar
Jumble
Posts: 1184
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 am UTC
Location: London(ish), UK.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jumble » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Really.

Must......resist......temptation......to.....look....
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:But, you're the grim reaper. Aren't you supposed to be into this?

Not really a grim reaper, but fair enough, yes.
Menacing Spike wrote:
Kang wrote:Enough with the tragedy already. Really.


You should see this dude in the LSR forum.

I apologise for the misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to what anybody said, that was a rant all by itself.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

dear lady at the verizon store: when i walk in and say "this phone was in the middle of an OTA update and it rebooted at the wrong point and is now bricked" do not reply with "huh?" and then suggest that you've "got a way with fixing things". this is not my first rodeo, i do know a thing or two about cellphones and their opperation. i also know that when you do a software factory reset, a hard factory reset, and side load an exported copy of the original factory ROM (as one is smart to do before 20 of your compay phones experience an OTA update) and none of these rectify the issue, that your "way with fixing things" is not going to work. just order my new damned phone, put the free next day air on it and shut up.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
nehpest
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby nehpest » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 am UTC

DSenette wrote:dear lady at the verizon store: when i walk in and say "this phone was in the middle of an OTA update and it rebooted at the wrong point and is now bricked" do not reply with "huh?" and then suggest that you've "got a way with fixing things". this is not my first rodeo, i do know a thing or two about cellphones and their opperation. i also know that when you do a software factory reset, a hard factory reset, and side load an exported copy of the original factory ROM (as one is smart to do before 20 of your compay phones experience an OTA update) and none of these rectify the issue, that your "way with fixing things" is not going to work. just order my new damned phone, put the free next day air on it and shut up.


I feel I must tell you: there is so much win in this post.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Thesh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:42 am UTC

If I hear that stupid tachyon neutrino joke one more time, I'm going to... to... Post about it again, but next time in all caps.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby felltir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 am UTC

Thesh wrote:If I hear that stupid tachyon neutrino joke one more time, I'm going to... to... Post about it again, but next time in all caps.


IT'S BEEN AROUND FOR AGES AS A JOKE ABOUT TIME TRAVELLERS D:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:If I hear that stupid tachyon neutrino joke one more time, I'm going to... to... Post about it again, but next time in all caps.

See, now you've heard it again but yesterday.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Who exactly at Apple thought that people in developing countries with horrible internet wouldn't need some alternative form of downloading OS X Lion? It's 4GB. It's taken me 3 days and carefully making sure that nobody screws around on Farmville or YouTuber or Mediafire to corrupt the download.

And now, it's time for XCode. Another 3 days.

Definitely holding my breath.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Apple not liking the idea of alternatives? I'm shocked!

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

You do have a download manager that supports multiple streams and interrupted downloads, right?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Dason
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 am UTC
Location: ~/

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dason » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:You do have a download manager that supports multiple streams and interrupted downloads, right?

I'm not sure but aren't the only ways to get some of Apple's newer software through their "App store" or something like that? I'm not sure a download manager would help in that case? But I could be very wrong here.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Yes, it has to be through the app store. It does have resume/pausing capabilities, but I've had it reset for no obvious reason twice, when pausing it to fetch an email attachment. It also has a tendency to erupt in explosive errors like this one, when my mom decided to open farmville.

lionfail.jpg
lionfail.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 4182 times


This error actually let me recover from it, and I proceeded with the download, but I had to do so manually... which was some 10 hours later, given I just went to bed when it stopped downloading.
Last edited by Steax on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Oh ya, I forgot that Apple software was broken by design. My bad. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

I'm not surprised that people go pirating OS X Lion, if only for the CD format. At least I got mine for free.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
RetSpline
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:38 pm UTC
Location: Íæû

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby RetSpline » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

On one hand, it's perfectly fucking reasonable to start jachammering and cement drilling and whatthefuckelse ever you guys have out there the road immediately in front of my house at 10:30 AM, because, hey, what kind of freak would be trying to sleep at that time?

Seriously, though, I'm moving to the day shift in fucking four days, WHY does the road work have to start NOW?!

User avatar
Tomlidich
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

RetSpline wrote:On one hand, it's perfectly fucking reasonable to start jachammering and cement drilling and whatthefuckelse ever you guys have out there the road immediately in front of my house at 10:30 AM, because, hey, what kind of freak would be trying to sleep at that time?

Seriously, though, I'm moving to the day shift in fucking four days, WHY does the road work have to start NOW?!


they are not even reasonable around here. 7 am on a sunday, all of a sudden, *loud noises that i don't know the onomonopeia for*

SON OF A BI-

roll outta bed, scream out window.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5178
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Felstaff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

To be honest, I'd be kind of ranty as well if some asshole started screaming out the window at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
Tomlidich
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:To be honest, I'd be kind of ranty as well if some asshole started screaming out the window at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning.

its not taht they can hear me, over their hydraulicly operated road tools, but it makes me feel better.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

gorcee
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby gorcee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

So there I was, Sunday morning 7 AM, when the road crews started working. I could tune that out, but then some asshole started yelling out the window at them and I couldn't get back to sleep.

User avatar
Tomlidich
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:So there I was, Sunday morning 7 AM, when the road crews started working. I could tune that out, but then some asshole started yelling out the window at them and I couldn't get back to sleep.

you people are funny.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way


My problem is that I can never remember how to "in".
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
DSenette wrote:how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way


My problem is that I can never remember how to "in".

stupid wandering punctuation
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Tomlidich
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way

i don't think the employees understand how they work.
i had one the kept telling me to pull forward for no fucking reason, only to get pissed off, back up, and THEN they hand me my food.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

I think that has to do with a lot of cultures just being royally lost about queues. Neither limited to the US nor to fast food restaurants. Spend your time in the queue complaining about having to wait, then when it's your turn start thinking about why you joined the queue in the first place (making everyone behind you wait even longer), then be completely confused about literally everything around you.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

I always mind my pees and queues.

User avatar
Tomlidich
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Kang wrote:I think that has to do with a lot of cultures just being royally lost about queues. Neither limited to the US nor to fast food restaurants. Spend your time in the queue complaining about having to wait, then when it's your turn start thinking about why you joined the queue in the first place (making everyone behind you wait even longer), then be completely confused about literally everything around you.


eh, could be a stupidity thing. when i get in a line, i already know precisely what i want. i don't join the line until i have figured out what i want, and that i can pay for it.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I always mind my pees and queues.
As long as you don't pee while you're in the queue.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
DSenette wrote:how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way

i don't think the employees understand how they work.
i had one the kept telling me to pull forward for no fucking reason, only to get pissed off, back up, and THEN they hand me my food.


I've heard that's because they have a timer measuring wait time and make you pull forward to make their numbers look better. Might not be true, I don't know for sure. Putting in a timer sounds like something a higher up who has never worked the counter would think of (not understanding that some orders take longer than others).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Torvaun » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:
DSenette wrote:how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way

i don't think the employees understand how they work.
i had one the kept telling me to pull forward for no fucking reason, only to get pissed off, back up, and THEN they hand me my food.

I've heard that's because they have a timer measuring wait time and make you pull forward to make their numbers look better. Might not be true, I don't know for sure. Putting in a timer sounds like something a higher up who has never worked the counter would think of (not understanding that some orders take longer than others).
Former Taco Bell employee here. We had a drive through timer that would measure how long someone sat at the speaker before someone spoke to them over the headsets, how long they sat at the speaker, and how long they sat at the window. Average time before being spoken to needed to be under five seconds, average time at the window needed to be under one minute. If ever those numbers were out of range, the owner would come in and explain that software could easily correlate poor times with the people who were scheduled to work, and if things didn't improve, those people could easily be replaced.

I'm glad not to work there anymore.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
Tomlidich
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

generally fast food does not seem to be a good business for anyone.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

i'm specifically talking about the ones that come inside, and stand there asking whether there's trout on the menu at burger king. no, there isn't trout. "does that come with lettuce?" do you want it to? wait, you mean that "enter here" was meant for me? wait, counter lady, why are you sliding MY tray down to the other end of the ordering counter? oh well i'll just stand DIRECTLY in front of the register while you try to take the order of the guy behind me.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I always mind my pees and queues.
As long as you don't pee while you're in the queue.


It's funny because "queue" means "penis" in french.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Why can't I concentrate without consuming copious amounts of caffeine beforehand. Those 500mg cans of sweet gunk aren't very healthy, but I'm getting through several a week just to be able to work on my code properly.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Why can't I concentrate without consuming copious amounts of caffeine beforehand. Those 500mg cans of sweet gunk aren't very healthy, but I'm getting through several a week just to be able to work on my code properly.
Yea, I switched to coffee for just that reason. I figured if all I need is the caffeine I don't need all the sugar that's in mountain dew and that kind of stuff as well.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

I went through the effort of getting myself off of caffeine. Probably one of the best decisions I've made.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5538
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby doogly » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:I went through the effort of getting myself off of caffeine. Probably one of the best decisions I've made.

I'm thinkin I'll do this when I have tenure, and can afford to get nothing done and be cranky for a month.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:I went through the effort of getting myself off of caffeine. Probably one of the best decisions I've made.

Image
SHE'S A WITCH!!!!! BURN HER!!!!
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Raidri and 23 guests