Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jumble

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jumble » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

But, you're the grim reaper. Aren't you supposed to be into this?
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Kang wrote:Enough with the tragedy already. Really.

You should see this dude in the LSR forum.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Really.

Must......resist......temptation......to.....look....
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:But, you're the grim reaper. Aren't you supposed to be into this?

Not really a grim reaper, but fair enough, yes.
Menacing Spike wrote:
Kang wrote:Enough with the tragedy already. Really.

You should see this dude in the LSR forum.

I apologise for the misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to what anybody said, that was a rant all by itself.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

dear lady at the verizon store: when i walk in and say "this phone was in the middle of an OTA update and it rebooted at the wrong point and is now bricked" do not reply with "huh?" and then suggest that you've "got a way with fixing things". this is not my first rodeo, i do know a thing or two about cellphones and their opperation. i also know that when you do a software factory reset, a hard factory reset, and side load an exported copy of the original factory ROM (as one is smart to do before 20 of your compay phones experience an OTA update) and none of these rectify the issue, that your "way with fixing things" is not going to work. just order my new damned phone, put the free next day air on it and shut up.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 am UTC

DSenette wrote:dear lady at the verizon store: when i walk in and say "this phone was in the middle of an OTA update and it rebooted at the wrong point and is now bricked" do not reply with "huh?" and then suggest that you've "got a way with fixing things". this is not my first rodeo, i do know a thing or two about cellphones and their opperation. i also know that when you do a software factory reset, a hard factory reset, and side load an exported copy of the original factory ROM (as one is smart to do before 20 of your compay phones experience an OTA update) and none of these rectify the issue, that your "way with fixing things" is not going to work. just order my new damned phone, put the free next day air on it and shut up.

I feel I must tell you: there is so much win in this post.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:42 am UTC

If I hear that stupid tachyon neutrino joke one more time, I'm going to... to... Post about it again, but next time in all caps.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 am UTC

Thesh wrote:If I hear that stupid tachyon neutrino joke one more time, I'm going to... to... Post about it again, but next time in all caps.

IT'S BEEN AROUND FOR AGES AS A JOKE ABOUT TIME TRAVELLERS D:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:If I hear that stupid tachyon neutrino joke one more time, I'm going to... to... Post about it again, but next time in all caps.

See, now you've heard it again but yesterday.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Who exactly at Apple thought that people in developing countries with horrible internet wouldn't need some alternative form of downloading OS X Lion? It's 4GB. It's taken me 3 days and carefully making sure that nobody screws around on Farmville or YouTuber or Mediafire to corrupt the download.

And now, it's time for XCode. Another 3 days.

Definitely holding my breath.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Apple not liking the idea of alternatives? I'm shocked!

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

You do have a download manager that supports multiple streams and interrupted downloads, right?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:You do have a download manager that supports multiple streams and interrupted downloads, right?

I'm not sure but aren't the only ways to get some of Apple's newer software through their "App store" or something like that? I'm not sure a download manager would help in that case? But I could be very wrong here.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Yes, it has to be through the app store. It does have resume/pausing capabilities, but I've had it reset for no obvious reason twice, when pausing it to fetch an email attachment. It also has a tendency to erupt in explosive errors like this one, when my mom decided to open farmville.

lionfail.jpg
lionfail.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 4182 times

This error actually let me recover from it, and I proceeded with the download, but I had to do so manually... which was some 10 hours later, given I just went to bed when it stopped downloading.
Last edited by Steax on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Oh ya, I forgot that Apple software was broken by design. My bad. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

I'm not surprised that people go pirating OS X Lion, if only for the CD format. At least I got mine for free.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

On one hand, it's perfectly fucking reasonable to start jachammering and cement drilling and whatthefuckelse ever you guys have out there the road immediately in front of my house at 10:30 AM, because, hey, what kind of freak would be trying to sleep at that time?

Seriously, though, I'm moving to the day shift in fucking four days, WHY does the road work have to start NOW?!

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

RetSpline wrote:On one hand, it's perfectly fucking reasonable to start jachammering and cement drilling and whatthefuckelse ever you guys have out there the road immediately in front of my house at 10:30 AM, because, hey, what kind of freak would be trying to sleep at that time?

Seriously, though, I'm moving to the day shift in fucking four days, WHY does the road work have to start NOW?!

they are not even reasonable around here. 7 am on a sunday, all of a sudden, *loud noises that i don't know the onomonopeia for*

SON OF A BI-

roll outta bed, scream out window.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

To be honest, I'd be kind of ranty as well if some asshole started screaming out the window at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:To be honest, I'd be kind of ranty as well if some asshole started screaming out the window at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning.

its not taht they can hear me, over their hydraulicly operated road tools, but it makes me feel better.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

So there I was, Sunday morning 7 AM, when the road crews started working. I could tune that out, but then some asshole started yelling out the window at them and I couldn't get back to sleep.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:So there I was, Sunday morning 7 AM, when the road crews started working. I could tune that out, but then some asshole started yelling out the window at them and I couldn't get back to sleep.

you people are funny.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way

My problem is that I can never remember how to "in".

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
DSenette wrote:how is it, that in the US, there are people who still don't understand how fast food restaurants work? walk, in, look at the pretty pictures, order the one that looks like the thing you wanted to eat. then move the fuck out of my way

My problem is that I can never remember how to "in".

stupid wandering punctuation

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

i don't think the employees understand how they work.
i had one the kept telling me to pull forward for no fucking reason, only to get pissed off, back up, and THEN they hand me my food.

Kang

Postby Kang » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

I think that has to do with a lot of cultures just being royally lost about queues. Neither limited to the US nor to fast food restaurants. Spend your time in the queue complaining about having to wait, then when it's your turn start thinking about why you joined the queue in the first place (making everyone behind you wait even longer), then be completely confused about literally everything around you.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

I always mind my pees and queues.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Kang wrote:I think that has to do with a lot of cultures just being royally lost about queues. Neither limited to the US nor to fast food restaurants. Spend your time in the queue complaining about having to wait, then when it's your turn start thinking about why you joined the queue in the first place (making everyone behind you wait even longer), then be completely confused about literally everything around you.

eh, could be a stupidity thing. when i get in a line, i already know precisely what i want. i don't join the line until i have figured out what i want, and that i can pay for it.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I always mind my pees and queues.
As long as you don't pee while you're in the queue.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

Tomlidich wrote:

i had one the kept telling me to pull forward for no fucking reason, only to get pissed off, back up, and THEN they hand me my food.

I've heard that's because they have a timer measuring wait time and make you pull forward to make their numbers look better. Might not be true, I don't know for sure. Putting in a timer sounds like something a higher up who has never worked the counter would think of (not understanding that some orders take longer than others).

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
Tomlidich wrote:

I've heard that's because they have a timer measuring wait time and make you pull forward to make their numbers look better. Might not be true, I don't know for sure. Putting in a timer sounds like something a higher up who has never worked the counter would think of (not understanding that some orders take longer than others).
Former Taco Bell employee here. We had a drive through timer that would measure how long someone sat at the speaker before someone spoke to them over the headsets, how long they sat at the speaker, and how long they sat at the window. Average time before being spoken to needed to be under five seconds, average time at the window needed to be under one minute. If ever those numbers were out of range, the owner would come in and explain that software could easily correlate poor times with the people who were scheduled to work, and if things didn't improve, those people could easily be replaced.

I'm glad not to work there anymore.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

generally fast food does not seem to be a good business for anyone.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

i'm specifically talking about the ones that come inside, and stand there asking whether there's trout on the menu at burger king. no, there isn't trout. "does that come with lettuce?" do you want it to? wait, you mean that "enter here" was meant for me? wait, counter lady, why are you sliding MY tray down to the other end of the ordering counter? oh well i'll just stand DIRECTLY in front of the register while you try to take the order of the guy behind me.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I always mind my pees and queues.
As long as you don't pee while you're in the queue.

It's funny because "queue" means "penis" in french.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Why can't I concentrate without consuming copious amounts of caffeine beforehand. Those 500mg cans of sweet gunk aren't very healthy, but I'm getting through several a week just to be able to work on my code properly.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Why can't I concentrate without consuming copious amounts of caffeine beforehand. Those 500mg cans of sweet gunk aren't very healthy, but I'm getting through several a week just to be able to work on my code properly.
Yea, I switched to coffee for just that reason. I figured if all I need is the caffeine I don't need all the sugar that's in mountain dew and that kind of stuff as well.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

I went through the effort of getting myself off of caffeine. Probably one of the best decisions I've made.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:I went through the effort of getting myself off of caffeine. Probably one of the best decisions I've made.

I'm thinkin I'll do this when I have tenure, and can afford to get nothing done and be cranky for a month.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:I went through the effort of getting myself off of caffeine. Probably one of the best decisions I've made.

SHE'S A WITCH!!!!! BURN HER!!!!

Return to “General”