Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Ptolom wrote:Everyone who comments on my blog is a spambot. I like real people better.
You don't have all that many posts yet. Give it time. (Then you'll get even more spam bots!)

I suppose I'd better start making friends with them. What do spambots like?

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

Attention
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Eggs.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Whelan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Kites.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Deva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

Crazy bargains. Prattles on about them to the point of incoherency, occasionally.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
xX17GHDUDE17Xx
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby xX17GHDUDE17Xx » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

I'm an atheist, recently converted (within the last year or so). When I was 13, my girlfriend was killed in a car crash, and both of my grandmothers were suffering from cancer. Being around death for anybody will put you in a messed up state of mind, and little old weak me was taking it really hard. One of my friends invited me to a church activity, and I decided to go just to try to clear my mind for a little bit. What I found there was comforting. I was told that there was a place for people after death, that death was just a stage, not permanent. Blinded by this new hope for seeing my lost (or soon to be lost) loved ones again, I began to take in all of the Bible stories, parables, and proverbs that the preacher through at me. I was still a bit hesitant to believe everything they were saying (the school system did a good job of pounding evolution into my head early and often), but I was able to find articles online supporting every single lie about creation, age of the Earth, and prayer that I was being fed. I found that there was plenty 'evidence' of Noah's flood in the fossil record, that Neanderthals were just really old people (700-800 years) that had rickets, and studies that proved that prayer actually worked. To young, emotionally crippled me, it all made sense. I didn't bother finding arguments to the contrary. About a year later, after my grandmothers had passed away, and the sting of the three deaths I had experienced recently was starting to wear off, something happened. Doubt entered my mind, slowly at first. I started to really hear what the pastors were saying, and instead of nodding in blind agreement, I actually repeated to myself what they said. Something always seemed off about their lessons. For another two years I attended church regularly, always hiding the fact that I wasn't as sure of my salvation, or of God's existence as I had been in years prior. I finally caved and asked my pastor if I could speak with him after church for a few minutes. I asked him why he believed in what the Bible says, and he answered "It is the one true word of God". I asked him why he believed that, and he said "Well because the Bible says so, of course". I had encountered this line of reasoning on the internet before, on atheist blogs that were poking fun of Christianity. I had always managed to convince myself that they were over-simplifying the Christian argument, that they just weren't getting something. So I asked the pastor, "Without using the Bible, what would you say makes you believe in a God". His reply: "Faith". This answer wasn't completely satisfying to me, but I thanked him for his time and drove home. That night, I stayed awake all night, staring at the ceiling trying to cling to what 'faith' I had in religion left. But it still left me. I couldn't delude myself into believing that there was anything up in the sky other than clouds and the vast expanse of space. I completely stopped going to church after that, and since then, have been carrying on, quite happily, in the knowledge that this life is the only one we have to live.

I have no idea why I typed all this, or that it will make any sense at all, but this is the rant thread and I felt like ranting. (Damn religious people calling me a worthless heathen, a smug atheist. Calling me the idiot for not having blind faith in an ancient book.... grrrrr)
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" -Ghandi

Wrong. All that does is eliminate humanity's depth perception.

Drumheller769
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 pm UTC
Location: ♞♞♞

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Drumheller769 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

Possibly unwanted thoughts/advice:
Spoiler:
Regardless of your beliefs they have to be your own, no pastor will be able to convince you of God's existence with his faith, likewise no atheist will be able to convince you that there is no God unless you come to that conclusion yourself and not through their thoughts.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

Anachrome
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Anachrome » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

Drumheller769 wrote:Possibly unwanted thoughts/advice:
Spoiler:
Regardless of your beliefs they have to be your own, no pastor will be able to convince you of God's existence with his faith, likewise no atheist will be able to convince you that there is no God unless you come to that conclusion yourself and not through their thoughts.

This is my problem with organized religion: I'm all for people believing what they want (be it atheism, some form of theism, or invisible-pink-unicornism), but it irks me that any person can preach that theirs is the 'one truth' or something. Plus it tends to lead to a mentality where one is conditioned to accept God's (id est their church's) word unquestioningly. (For this reason, I actually have a lot of respect for my local church, the reverend of which is very open about not knowing everything about the bible, it not being the immutable and literal word of God, etc.

And I was originally gonna post about how people who wrote questions without question marks is annoying, but that kind of seems a bit underwhelming now...

User avatar
modularblues
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 am UTC
Location: Escher's Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby modularblues » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 am UTC

I fucking hate photos being taken of me, but now familial and societal pressure (mostly familial) is forcing me to have to do that. My fiance's parents and my parents have completely different ways of doing things... and... I really hate this fucking planning crap. If it's up to me I'd fucking just go to the city hall.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:04 am UTC

Possibly unwanted (but relevant) gif of Simon Amstell:
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 am UTC

I also dislike having photos taken of me. I always feel like it turns out terrible.

Rant: my american coworker is complaining about his internet dropping to an all-time-low of 120kbps and not being able to stream more cat videos. I can't even always get 12kbps when downloading from american servers...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Yeah, but people in America probably want better connections to servers in their own region. According to Notch (who lives in Sweden), he downloaded Portal 2 in a matter of minutes.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
xX17GHDUDE17Xx
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby xX17GHDUDE17Xx » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Possibly unwanted (but relevant) gif of Simon Amstell:
Spoiler:
Image


Nice.

Saints lost... That was a bummer :(
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" -Ghandi

Wrong. All that does is eliminate humanity's depth perception.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Internet connections do seem to be the ultimate zeroth-world-problem. There are people complaining about their 2mbps, 200kbps, 20kbps, and 2kpbs connections... And there are people saying "what's the internet?"
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:40 am UTC

I can't really complain about my connection other than the fact I pay far more for it up here in Alaska than I did when I was in Texas or California.

But then again, I pay far more for everything up here.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Cathy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

I love me some nearby-grown peaches. I don't love me some rock hard completely green crappy peaches in my grocery when there are nearby-grown peaches all over the place. Fail stores.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

I miss good produce. I hope when I move to Vegas, I'll be able to enjoy better fruits and vegetables.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Gregarious Raconteur
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Gregarious Raconteur » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

[rant]9-11 truthers[/rant]

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I miss good produce. I hope when I move to Vegas, I'll be able to enjoy better fruits and vegetables.

I was going to say something about how you'll be in the middle of a desert... But yeah, it's Vegas.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

Gregarious Raconteur wrote:[rant]9-11 truthers[/rant]

I'd like to add to that the trolls who think they were funny when saying that '9/11 was the greatest day ever!' or similar things. You are not funny!

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

Fuck modern operating systems.

Windows 7 scheduled WinSAT (which basically benchmarks the computer) when I was doing something. So I killed it. But not before it messed up all the settings and changed the power profile of my laptop. I tried to revert everything back to sanity, but gave up and rebooted.

I was too slow, and grub started up my laptop's system recovery partition instead of Windows, because debian thinks users are too stupid to write their own grub config and uses this ridiculously convoluted system for automatically generating a grub setup that gets everything in the most awkward order imaginable.
Spoiler:
(default) System recovery
Windows 7
Old kernel
Old kernel
Old kernel
Old kernel
Current Debian Kernel

Why setup script, how did you guess that's exactly how I want my grub menu?

As if this wasn't already annoying, the recovery system proceeded to fuck up my MBR. For no reason at all. I didn't ask for this. It just did. I just moved out from my apartment, so all my hundreds of unmarked CDs are in one big pile. In a box. In the back of a very small room. Having dug it up, I had to try to boot up a dozen CDs before I finally found one that contained an version of Linux so that I could chroot in and re-install grub.

Being cluster fucked by Debian and windows 7 was not wanted to spend my night.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
GonzoMcFonzo
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:19 pm UTC
Location: The D of C

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Posting this here because most people here have more interesting things to do with their time than argue on the internets about college football, so even if people here disagree, they won't be typical trolls I'm encountering elsewhere
Spoiler:
Attn. Baylor University: the Big XII is a dead conference walking. It has been for over a year. We're all tired of t.u.'s bullying and sense of entitlement. Nothing you can do will change that, whatever you try to tell yourselves. Refusing to agree not to sue is an implied threat of legal action, whatever you try to tell yourselves. Threatening to sue A&M/the SEC because OU is thinking about moving to the PAC-12 makes no sense to anyone but you.

I'm sorry that you are going to end up in a second rate conference when the big XII-2 finally dies, but that's what happens when you go 18-102 over the life of your current conference, and draw so few fans you have to put a tarp over a large section of your seats for most of your games. All that this current hoopla is accomplishing is admitting to everyone that you know you don't deserve to land in an AQ conference and that your entire athletic program's financial model is based on leeching off of the attention of other, more successful schools. Just because you can't find a new conference, you're going to try to keep A&M out of one? Please take you BJ hating president and diaf (figuratively speaking).

Sorry if that seems harsh, but I'm tired of hearing about this on issue constantly, and needed to vent.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:06 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I miss good produce. I hope when I move to Vegas, I'll be able to enjoy better fruits and vegetables.

I was going to say something about how you'll be in the middle of a desert... But yeah, it's Vegas.

True, and I'll be close to California. I'm already scoping out orchards to visit to get some Jonathan apples next year. This whole moving thing is beyond exciting.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby torontoraptor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:02 am UTC

At my university the engineers have a reputation for being a bit crazy, especially during our Welcome Week (or Frosh Week, or whatever you want to call it). We don't really follow the rules, we mess up events by singing our cheers, and by the end of it everyone else gets a long a little better through disliking us. Quite frankly, its obnoxious and fun, but completely harmless. So when the social science department decides to play a prank on our custom cars which are built, maintained and operated by students on a shoe-string budget, we're fine with it, it was only vaseline and syran wrap. Then the Science department decides to dump hair and green paint into the pool part of our carpool. So our pipes are clogged with a bio-hazard, lovely. But we manage to clean that, and we don't even plan on counter-pranking them. Then SOMEONE, and we have no way of finding out who, decides it would be a great idea to smash one of the side mirrors and kick the door handle so the door CAN'T OPEN. You want to prank us, go right ahead, we like having fun. But vandalizing projects that probably took more work then some people put into their entire university education, that is not cool. Now we need even more money, so instead of finishing up the awesome hovercraft we were building, or trying to make any improvements, we get to ask for a larger allotment of student funds, just to try and repair the damage of a bunch of stupid fucks.


Edit: Additional rant. FUCK YOU PRINTERS.
Last edited by torontoraptor on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Zarq » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:25 am UTC

Reading stuff about awesome things people do in clubs at other universities always gets me disappointed in my university that has no clubs at all.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:51 am UTC

exactly this
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

How comes that whenever I need a certain tool or piece of equipment it has just been put to use by somebody else who then proceeded to go on vacation for weeks, so I won't be able to ask them whether they still need it?

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

I didn't ask for a replacement computer because I like shiny new things. I asked for one because it shouldn't take two freaking minutes to open a 200kb Word document. It shouldn't take 1 minute or more to scroll through one page in one folder of our standards database. It shouldn't randomly change the view settings for my folders. It shouldn't occassionally take two minutes to save a picture file from internet explorer.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
thorgold
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby thorgold » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 am UTC

I recently stumbled across a small forum for a certain webcomic (unrelated), which contained a thread that had become host to a 9/11 related flamewar. Spurred by a video of a woman claiming to not remember what 9/11 was about, the argument was over whether Americans have dragged on 9/11 for too long - one side argued in favor of remembrance, the other side was basically "get over it." A large percentage of the latter group said on a regular basis, essentially: "Shut up and get over it, [America] deserved it."

And, from the extent of the flamewar, it wasn't just one or two trolls saying something stupid to spark things. The people arguing this were actually sincere in their belief that America deserved 9/11 or that the attacks weren't worth remembering.

My rant? Pent up troll anger. How the FUCK are assholes like that allowed to live, let alone have access to mass communication devices such as internet-enabled PCs? And, how can anyone, regardless of nationality or political affiliation, claim that a terrorist attack claiming thousands of lives was deserved? It's just infuriating in ways hard to explain.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:40 am UTC

I give the world credit for creating idiots on each end of any spectrum.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 am UTC

ITT: thorgold advocates the death penalty for those agreeing with America's enemies
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am UTC

I'd never say America deserved it, but they haven't half been milking it for all it's worth ever since.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 am UTC

Rant: everything I touch turns to crap. :(
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Rant: everything I touch turns to crap. :(


Now, I wonder, would this be better or worse than being King Midas?

User avatar
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Hahaha, it would be a whole lot smellier, that's for sure.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Is crap worth its weight in gold, as fertilizer?

adho
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby adho » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

I can't remember where I saw this rant, about your weight in gold, really not being worth much at all. A person is actually worth far more than gold. We can do anything. Gold just sits around and looks pretty. It only has value because we agree it does.

I remembered. Terry Pratchett. Making Money.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Rant: everything I touch turns to crap. :(


That's actually a pretty useful superpower. That might kind of make you bulletproof too, given you crap is probably lighter than normal bullets.

SlyReaper wrote:I'd never say America deserved it, but they haven't half been milking it for all it's worth ever since.


I'd definitely say that nobody deserved what happened that day, but yeah, I honestly, humbly think it's a bit too much. I have great respect for those who lost loved ones that day, and I know people still in fear today. But honestly, I can't help but feel the reactions to the attack were probably more frightening than the actual event - I think aviation wouldn't be so scary now, 10 years past, if it weren't for all the security measures reminding us of how vulnerable we are.

I was initially happy with the response of using intelligence and UAVs, hoping this would limit the number of innocent casualties along the way, but this image faded away rather quickly... I also recall this documentary where they apparently killed a tall man who they thought was bin laden, purely from a UAV's recon. And the estimates of civilian casualties - they go from 1000% to 20% of the militants, but in either case it feels much more fearful for the people in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I really don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, but I do feel it's time we let the wounds heal. I do think it's a day worth remembering, though. And nobody in any way deserved that.

Additionally, as a foreigner, watching reports about the US's economical problems, I honestly can't help but think "wait, didn't they just spend a couple trillion dollars waging war on a few countries?" Throwing in the fact that Iraq didn't actual have said weapons, and we keep getting reports of "N militants and M civilians were killed in an attack in X" and so forth... It just feels weird.




--

And this is actually quite amusing.

Objectives on the War on Terror wrote:Work with willing and able states
Enable weak states
Persuade reluctant states
Compel unwilling states
Eliminate terrorist sanctuaries and havens


1. Work with those who want
2. Give power to those who want but can't
3. Get the ones who don't want to, to want to
4. Try harder to get the ones that really don't want to, to want to
5. Destroy the rest
6. ???
7. PROF... wait.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
farnsworth
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:11 pm UTC
Location: I don't know. Texas?

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby farnsworth » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Microscopic cog wrote:Rant: everything I touch turns to crap. :(


That's actually a pretty useful superpower. That might kind of make you bulletproof too, given you crap is probably lighter than normal bullets.

This calls for experimentation.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Xeio » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Microscopic cog wrote:Rant: everything I touch turns to crap. :(


That's actually a pretty useful superpower. That might kind of make you bulletproof too, given you crap is probably lighter than normal bullets.
Do you really want to survive? :P


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests