Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Yes. Although it's more sort of over there in that direction.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Getting a job is scary.

People are freaky.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:I was actually thinking about creating the video that I wanted. I am working from the disadvantage of, I don't think I know that many conventionally attractive people - mainstream hot men just don't populate my circles - plus of course I don't have the nerd celebrity connections that these people have. We'll see what I can do.

Of course, my anger is at the nerd community at large, it so happens that this particular video, as the most recent manifestation, drew my attention to the issue this time around.

start with a script and a storyboard and build from there. If you create something worth making, then the rest of the pieces will fall into place (well, perhaps with some pushing, pulling and shoving). That's how Felicia Day started.

(sidenote: I have twice met Felicia and she is remarkably kind and affable. She's also as attractive in person as she is on camera.)

If you have a DeviantArt account or something similar, you can even post the storyboard online for feedback, which would certainly increase exposure and get multiple people's opinions.

I was thinking of posting the idea around Livejournal where a bunch of radically nerdy and radically feminist people post regularly. Stir up some anger and enthusiasm.

Here's a video with sort of the aesthetic and attitude I'm going for (confident female has alpha status among a bunch of men):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-rBZREQMw

Tangentially related, here's an example of nerd power done right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmoKOrKJvk
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

"Roll a D6" is a fairly good example of a "nerd culture" video that isn't heavy with sexism, which is one of the reasons I actually enjoyed it quite a lot when it came out. It's still not amazing on the inclusiveness front (not a lot of culture inclusiveness etc), but it avoids a lot of the cliched stuff.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

micco

Postby micco » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

We have work to do damn-it! So just write us the work permission. And would the person in floor 3 please stop causing gas hazards!
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

God fucking dammit.

Some time ago, I bought Bring It On in a 5 for 5€ deal, for two simple reasons:

1. There were only 3 movies I wanted, so I had to pick two more out of a batch that I wasn't interested in, mostly horrors. And, imo, silly comedy > silly horror.
2. A film that spawned 4 (?) sequels is culturally significant enough to spend 1 euro on.
Super secret reason #3: Kirsten Dunst <3

Some time ago, I watched and thought that would be the end of it. Wrong.

When watching, I noticed a little skip in the beginning. Didn't think much of it while watching since it played spotless from there on and I thought it was just a little hiccup from my 30€ dvd player.

Today, I decide to check it. Turns out the entire inner rim is covered with scratches. It was a brand new disc. Also, it doesn't even want to start playing in all my other players.

No big deal, you'd think. "You watched it and you weren't planning on watching it again. Just throw it out." Wrong.

I have this weird compulsion that my collection can't lose entries. So I'll have to buy it again! And I'm pretty sure the 5 for 5€ bin won't have it anymore (I'll check that Thursday). So it's to Amazon, where it'll cost at least 5€ including shipping. And they don't even have it in a combo with other movies or something like that. :evil:
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Sounds like a good time to break that compulsion. Or tell your compulsion to wait until it's financially easier to compulse about.

If only it were that easy...
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

It'll never be financially easier. 5€ is pretty much the bottom limit on Amazon.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

But then again if you wait and it never becomes financially easier the only thing you're missing out on is... Bring it on...
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

But every moment while my collection is "incomplete" is torture.
You rang?

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

I know I am probably a complete loser, but I actually adore that film.
You should totally re-buy it. Do it. Do it now.
What? 'Enabler'?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

To be fair, I found the movie to be quite watchable. Seen movies that were A LOT worse. I mean, half this movie is pretty girls dancing.
You rang?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:51 am UTC

If you pretend it's being ironic and campy, Bring It On is actually a great movie.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:49 am UTC

Goddamnit... why can't the refs do their freaking jobs. I get taken down, from behind, in the penalty box and the ref looks at me and says "I can't call them all you know." Then he gave me a yellow card for dissent when I walked off the field. Fuck you ref guy, you're worthless! Why do you make me so angry. :(
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Gah, I just realized I left all my favorite hats in my car.

Which I almost certainly totaled two weeks ago and will never see again.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Goddamnit... why can't the refs do their freaking jobs. I get taken down, from behind, in the penalty box and the ref looks at me and says "I can't call them all you know." Then he gave me a yellow card for dissent when I walked off the field. Fuck you ref guy, you're worthless! Why do you make me so angry. :(

Can't call them all? Isn't that exactly what he's freaking there for?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Garm wrote:Goddamnit... why can't the refs do their freaking jobs. I get taken down, from behind, in the penalty box and the ref looks at me and says "I can't call them all you know." Then he gave me a yellow card for dissent when I walked off the field. Fuck you ref guy, you're worthless! Why do you make me so angry. :(

Actually, no.

It is kind of bullshit if he doesn't call a blatant penalty that he sees, but if he doesn't actually see the penalty being committed, and instead just the aftermath, he can't really call it. Otherwise you head down a slippery slope. Now granted, maybe he should have been watching the play better, but without a lot of context it's tough to say. But to put it simply, you can't call all the penalties because you can't see all the penalties.

Nevertheless, if I was a player, the ref still would have gotten a piece of my mind.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:
Torvaun wrote:

Actually, no.

It is kind of bullshit if he doesn't call a blatant penalty that he sees, but if he doesn't actually see the penalty being committed, and instead just the aftermath, he can't really call it. Otherwise you head down a slippery slope. Now granted, maybe he should have been watching the play better, but without a lot of context it's tough to say. But to put it simply, you can't call all the penalties because you can't see all the penalties.

Nevertheless, if I was a player, the ref still would have gotten a piece of my mind.

If he's not keeping at least one eye on the ball then he ought not be reffing. I forgot to say in my original post that I was about to shoot when I got taken down.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

Garm wrote:If he's not keeping at least one eye on the ball then he ought not be reffing. I forgot to say in my original post that I was about to shoot when I got taken down.
Not all penalties happen around the ball, so the ref can't just watch the ball. The ref is also incapable of watching the ball AND watching other parts of the field at the same time because it's not humanly possible to do so - which is why most games have multiple refs.

Multiple refs are still not Omniscient, so unless you have two to three refs per player and one or two dedicated ball refs, you are not going to catch every single penalty. It's goddamn impossible.

So yes, you were about to take a shot and the ref probably should have been watching you. Perhaps it looked like a brawl was about to happen downfield. Perhaps he blinked. Dude's human.

Are you right to be pissed? Sure. Can you conclude the ref wasn't doing the job? No. You can't. You can be pissed, but you can't conclude he wasn't doing his job. Not doing it as you expected, sure.

As for the yellow card... I don't know, I didn't see what you did.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:Gah, I just realized I left all my favorite hats in my car.

TF2 has cars now?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Garm wrote:If he's not keeping at least one eye on the ball then he ought not be reffing. I forgot to say in my original post that I was about to shoot when I got taken down.
Not all penalties happen around the ball, so the ref can't just watch the ball. The ref is also incapable of watching the ball AND watching other parts of the field at the same time because it's not humanly possible to do so - which is why most games have multiple refs.

Multiple refs are still not Omniscient, so unless you have two to three refs per player and one or two dedicated ball refs, you are not going to catch every single penalty. It's goddamn impossible.

So yes, you were about to take a shot and the ref probably should have been watching you. Perhaps it looked like a brawl was about to happen downfield. Perhaps he blinked. Dude's human.

Are you right to be pissed? Sure. Can you conclude the ref wasn't doing the job? No. You can't. You can be pissed, but you can't conclude he wasn't doing his job. Not doing it as you expected, sure.

As for the yellow card... I don't know, I didn't see what you did.

Oh, I deserved the yellow. :)

The guy who fouled me had fouled me multiple times before and deserved a sending off... but I thought my yellow card was fair.
- JFK

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Soralin wrote:
Little Richie wrote:Ooh man, and firefox. What's with the new layout? Sure, save some screen, but at what cost, at what cost? :(

At the cost of going to the options tab, and adding the check to "menu bar", and potentially removing the check by "tabs on top", to get it back to how it was before, if you don't like it that way? :) (And if you do put a check by "menu bar", this menu moves to the view->toolbars area)

Or keep it like it is and press the Alt key whenever the menu is needed. The new layout is wonderful. If only I could get used to hiding the windows toolbar I'd be so close to my dream of never scrolling again.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:
Soralin wrote:
Little Richie wrote:Ooh man, and firefox. What's with the new layout? Sure, save some screen, but at what cost, at what cost? :(

At the cost of going to the options tab, and adding the check to "menu bar", and potentially removing the check by "tabs on top", to get it back to how it was before, if you don't like it that way? :) (And if you do put a check by "menu bar", this menu moves to the view->toolbars area)

Or keep it like it is and press the Alt key whenever the menu is needed. The new layout is wonderful. If only I could get used to hiding the windows toolbar I'd be so close to my dream of never scrolling again.

You have a monitor tall enough to display 40 forum posts?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:Even Firefox is annoying me with it's "Oh no, we can't possibly let users see the version number in the about window, all those numbers will melt their Facebook addled brains" idea.

Huh? Am I missing something obvious?
Spoiler:
fx_version.png

Fx 5.0 definitely had the version number there too, as I checked it before upgrading earlier today...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 am UTC

I don't understand it. A well-mannered adult sees a traffic accident and reports it as-is to the police. The police, checking if any other bystanders were present, found a 9-year-old boy, and question him too. They eventually use the boy's observation, on the basis of "kids can't lie".

what.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Ptolom wrote:Even Firefox is annoying me with it's "Oh no, we can't possibly let users see the version number in the about window, all those numbers will melt their Facebook addled brains" idea.

Spoiler:
fx_version.png

Fx 5.0 definitely had the version number there too, as I checked it before upgrading earlier today...

Not really, they just haven't done it yet, although it seems like they probably will: http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/08 ... ention.ars
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:13 am UTC

Steax wrote:I don't understand it. A well-mannered adult sees a traffic accident and reports it as-is to the police. The police, checking if any other bystanders were present, found a 9-year-old boy, and question him too. They eventually use the boy's observation, on the basis of "kids can't lie".

what.

It's an archaic thing based on children being innocent and pure. Dates back to the 18th century, and the Witch trials, 'cos King James wrote in demonologie that when putting witches on trial, children could give evidence.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

Spoiler:
fx_version.png

It's not happened yet.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
Steax wrote:I don't understand it. A well-mannered adult sees a traffic accident and reports it as-is to the police. The police, checking if any other bystanders were present, found a 9-year-old boy, and question him too. They eventually use the boy's observation, on the basis of "kids can't lie".

what.

It's an archaic thing based on children being innocent and pure. Dates back to the 18th century, and the Witch trials, 'cos King James wrote in demonologie that when putting witches on trial, children could give evidence.

I also don't get why the man would have any reason to lie. I mean, he's just a witness anyway. /rantrantrant

______

Entirely unrelated rant.

I told them how it works. I told them. Being a freelancer means you rely on your portfolio, your connections, and your contributions to your community. Not based on what your grades were, or when you graduated, or whatever academic stuff you have (except actual work you did as academic study, that counts).

I work here, I know! Those old ideals just don't stand nowadays. People just want the beef. I'm not saying we don't need education, I'm saying that education alone isn't enough. And I'm not saying people should skip college, or stop getting education. Stop strawmanning me.

Thank you.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Whelan wrote:

what.

I also don't get why the man would have any reason to lie. I mean, he's just a witness anyway. /rantrantrant

______

Entirely unrelated rant.

I told them how it works. I told them. Being a freelancer means you rely on your portfolio, your connections, and your contributions to your community. Not based on what your grades were, or when you graduated, or whatever academic stuff you have (except actual work you did as academic study, that counts).

I work here, I know! Those old ideals just don't stand nowadays. People just want the beef. I'm not saying we don't need education, I'm saying that education alone isn't enough. And I'm not saying people should skip college, or stop getting education. Stop strawmanning me.

Thank you.

education should go back to when they taught people how to DO stuff as opposed to how to KNOW stuff
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

Dear company trying to bill me (that I actually want to pay): If my payment fails to process for some reason, YOU HAVE MY EMAIL. Your "your payment has failed" letter, sent 3 days before the due day sure sounds like a good idea, but did you know that I won't get it till 7 days later? Yes, that's right, after the due date. I could have handled this the next day if you had just sent me the e-mail. I'm even sure I signed up for paperless statements for this very purpose.

If you charge me a fee I will be very cross.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Its shitty when that happens. A friend of mine had the same problem but with a bank and they waived the fee since he was willing, ready and able to pay. Just for some reason the transaction fucked up. Good luck in getting through w/o a fee!

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

Verizon once decided to stop sending me my phone bill for 3 months. Then they sent me a letter saying if I didnt pay they would cancel my service. Once I called them and explained that if they want me to pay they need to send me a bill, and then said that I would be willing to pay right now, they were cool again and got rid of the late fees too.

The first, last, and only time I probably will ever have a good support call with Verizon.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

adho

Postby adho » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Fuck, it's 3am, and I still have like two months of a journal to make up, that probably won't even get marked, but I'm too afraid it'll go horribly wrong. Stupid course. Stupid me. Stupid due date. Stupid headache. If all the lights are flashing and the computer is spinning, should I go to bed? Farrrrrkkkkkk.

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:education should go back to when they taught people how to DO stuff as opposed to how to KNOW stuff

I'll be glad if it sticks with knowing stuff rather than the newly popular 'how to seem knowledgable by tossing around popular phrases'.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

Panting Dog.jpg
Panting Dog.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 3313 times

Do we need more panting? Prefers less.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Kang wrote:
DSenette wrote:education should go back to when they taught people how to DO stuff as opposed to how to KNOW stuff

I'll be glad if it sticks with knowing stuff rather than the newly popular 'how to seem knowledgable by tossing around popular phrases'.

Or the even worse, "how to answer exam questions."

+Edit: I suppose I should clarify: "How to answer the exam questions you'll be receiving at the end of the year". How to answer exam questions is something more people need to be taught, for instance, knowing that unless it's an english paper, you're not going to lose marks for using bullet points.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:
Kang wrote:

Or the even worse, "how to answer exam questions."

+Edit: I suppose I should clarify: "How to answer the exam questions you'll be receiving at the end of the year". How to answer exam questions is something more people need to be taught, for instance, knowing that unless it's an english paper, you're not going to lose marks for using bullet points.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

My last year of high school was full of not-from-my-school teachers and extra classes basically teaching "if a question comes up with parameters A, B and C, you apply this HandWaveryFormula, and that's the result". Kids were memorizing dozens of "quick formulas" that anyone who understood the derivation concepts could come up with (on the flip side, nobody learned how to derive the formulas, because they were just waiting for the quick ones). The teacher's reasoning? "you need to be fast, 50 questions in 120 minutes."

Okay, I get that being fast might be an additional test. Maybe it's to emulate real-world stress or something. I don't know. The higher-ups must know better than me.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

I have an undying hatred of math classes that only teach memorization. If you're not going to tell students how everything is derived, it can hardly be called "math" at all.

It's like physics classes that only study concepts, instead of calculations. It's kind of like religion, in the sense of "this is how the world works; deal with it".

/rant

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Stupid A4 paper. Stupid trust account and wire transfers. Stupid not accepting American Express. Stupid UK Border Agency. Stupid time zone difference so I have to wait till midnight to be able to call the damn university.

Why can't I just go to school and learn things?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Return to “General”