Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Nat wrote:The episode of HIMYM where they explain how love isn't a science. The woman in charge is apparently stupid, because she explains how "everything can be explained by ones and zeros." People deliberately misrepresenting things than explaining how stupid they are is just annoying.


But the world is more than just cold, hard science!
Listen to your heart!

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:15 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Listen to your heart!

When he's calling for youuuu
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:21 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:Listen to your heart!

When he's calling for youuuu

Listen to your heart...
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
M.C.
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:06 pm UTC
Location: South of the equator.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby M.C. » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:Listen to your heart!

When he's calling for youuuu

Listen to your heart...


There's nothing else you can do.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Jessica » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

It's ok to not like things...

Not directed at anyone in particular, and probably directed at myself.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
The EGE
not very good at pickup limes
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The EGE » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

I've worked in a library for almost three years. Today, for the first time, I had to restrain myself from slapping a patron.

I'm in the back, in the children's section, shelving books. A woman comes up with several kids in tow, asks me where the books on space are, as her daughter is interested. I show her.

Then, I hear her say this: "No, $daughter, only one. Here, take this one. But I want you to have something to read, so go get a fiction book, or maybe a cookbook."

In three sentences, this woman has just hit four of my hot buttons:

1. Restricting what her kid reads
2. Choosing books for the kid - when she clearly wanted to choose herself
3. Implying that nonfiction is not "real" reading - that only fiction is an okay choice
4. Enforcing arbitrary gender roles (the brother was sitting reading a sports book)

Now, I can chalk the first three up to personal bias - reading nonfiction and having my parents let me read whatever I wanted were big parts of my intellectual development - but the fourth alone was enough to get my angry. Telling her daughter that it's not okay for her to read science - if she wants nonfiction, then she can go to the kitchen - forced me to move away to avoid doing something I would regret.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Midnight » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

stop.
calling.
things.
strawman arguments.

I swear to god it's more common on this forum than other places (but other places just say 'you're stupid' and leave it at that)... but saying 'that's a strawman' doesn't make you intelligent. It doesn't make your point stronger, UNLESS the argument is ABOUT like, literal concrete stuff. If someone uses hyperbole to make a point, their point isn't nullified by you saying "but that's a strawman! you lose!".

It's fucking stupid.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
M1k3_Nix
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 pm UTC
Location: Plymouth

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

the deepweb is confusing
and the query engines are more confusing
and IE doesnt want to open up any of the the pages anyway

I JUST WANT TO SATISFY MY CURISOITY!!!!!!!!!

rant over/
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.


"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

Damn it's hot and humid. I wish I were still living underground. It was cool down there.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Cathy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:39 am UTC

Spoiler:
Rape is not funny. Joking about rape is not funny. Rape is not a thing to take lightly. Rape is not a "game" and just because it's not "real" does not make it ok.

For christ's sake rape is not a fucking joke.

Edit because I'm a triggery idiot.

I hate the internet sometimes.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

"Reading is BORING"
Stop talking stop talking right now.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
thorgold
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:33 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:"Reading is BORING"
Stop talking stop talking right now.

This, in the context of my own rant.

What the FUCK is wrong with kids these days? Not to sound pretentious, but I feel like I'm the only sane person in my generation. I was at a sports camp this past week, a running camp. Every night, in the two-hour free period before curfew, there were social gatherings in our dorm hall (college campus) for fun. Movies, music, card games, the works.

A few days in, a few guys pulled out a stereo system they'd brought, and there were dance parties. Now, parties aren't my thing to begin with - I'm an introvert with a touch of agoraphobia, so at best I sit on the fringe of whatever's going on and read a book or watch.

What began to get my mind rolling was a sudden awareness of what songs were being played. We all hear music, listen to it, but how often do you sit down and consider what you're listening to? The line from a certain hit dance song drove a spike into my head "Let go, everybody just have a good time." Translated - don't think, just feel.

This revelation drove a cascade of thoughts leading to the conclusion that these parties were the incarnation of overwhelming sensuality. Music that proclaims that thought is worthless and pleasure is all that's important, played at a volume that renders thought impossible anyway. No light in the dance hall, lest we see what we're doing and think about it. Strobes and smoke blind and stun everyone, further creating an environment of confusion, chaos, and sensuality above all else.

For Christ's sake, the opening song - chosen by a councilor working as DJ - was "I just had Sex!" Followed, quite enthusiastically, by a "Viva la Vida" parody in which a guy says all of eight words "I like sex but I'd rather have head." Repeated in monotone for three minutes. Sung heartily not only buy the guys, but the girls.

How is this seen as... real? Good? Of any value? I'm at a loss for words to describe the dread I feel in my chest as I recall it.

To drive the stake home, almost everyone went to Catholic Mass two days later, as if to put a neon sign on the hypocrisy of our system of thought.

I just can't wrap my head around how a person could think on those terms, to say "Fuck the mind, I'll do whatever gives me a hormonal high right now." Ironic, because I was re-reading Anthem at the time.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:45 am UTC

thorgold wrote:I just can't wrap my head around how a person could think on those terms, to say "Fuck the mind, I'll do whatever gives me a hormonal high right now." Ironic, because I was re-reading Anthem at the time.

You are my favorite person for saying this.

... I always hate it when I meet a potential friend and they start acting like that. It's been happening a lot lately.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:47 am UTC

thorgold wrote:
TimelordSimone wrote:"Reading is BORING"
Stop talking stop talking right now.

This, in the context of my own rant.

What the FUCK is wrong with kids these days? Not to sound pretentious, but I feel like I'm the only sane person in my generation. I was at a sports camp this past week, a running camp. Every night, in the two-hour free period before curfew, there were social gatherings in our dorm hall (college campus) for fun. Movies, music, card games, the works.

A few days in, a few guys pulled out a stereo system they'd brought, and there were dance parties. Now, parties aren't my thing to begin with - I'm an introvert with a touch of agoraphobia, so at best I sit on the fringe of whatever's going on and read a book or watch.

What began to get my mind rolling was a sudden awareness of what songs were being played. We all hear music, listen to it, but how often do you sit down and consider what you're listening to? The line from a certain hit dance song drove a spike into my head "Let go, everybody just have a good time." Translated - don't think, just feel.

This revelation drove a cascade of thoughts leading to the conclusion that these parties were the incarnation of overwhelming sensuality. Music that proclaims that thought is worthless and pleasure is all that's important, played at a volume that renders thought impossible anyway. No light in the dance hall, lest we see what we're doing and think about it. Strobes and smoke blind and stun everyone, further creating an environment of confusion, chaos, and sensuality above all else.

For Christ's sake, the opening song - chosen by a councilor working as DJ - was "I just had Sex!" Followed, quite enthusiastically, by a "Viva la Vida" parody in which a guy says all of eight words "I like sex but I'd rather have head." Repeated in monotone for three minutes. Sung heartily not only buy the guys, but the girls.

How is this seen as... real? Good? Of any value? I'm at a loss for words to describe the dread I feel in my chest as I recall it.

To drive the stake home, almost everyone went to Catholic Mass two days later, as if to put a neon sign on the hypocrisy of our system of thought.

I just can't wrap my head around how a person could think on those terms, to say "Fuck the mind, I'll do whatever gives me a hormonal high right now." Ironic, because I was re-reading Anthem at the time.
I don't see anything wrong with the scenario you described. I also don't see anything hypocritical, depending on which Catholic tenants you follow, about participating in said event then going to church. In addition, I don't see any problem with occasionally forgoing intellectual thought or higher thinking and just doing something that gives me a "high", whether it be watching porn, drinking to inebriation or playing a video game full of explosions. Furthermore, what is wrong with girls having a sense of humor or other positive attitude towards sex? How is this seen as real? What the fuck does that mean? It's not real, it's an escape from reality. I go see a Rob Zombie concert full of explosions, fake blood, girls in bikinis and, oh yea, music loud enough to make my ears bleed to get the hell away from real life for a bit, and because it's exhilarating. Do you chastise people or think less of them for going on amusement park rides because they aren't "real".
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
thorgold
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 am UTC

While I can see where you're coming from, you're missing my point, and this is my fault. As I said, I'm at a loss for words to specifically describe the innate revulsion of what was going on, but I can say that it wasn't just me or my personal views - several people were walking out, and two that I talked to basically said: "Something's just not right about it."

And what I'm saying is that this isn't an "escape" from reality when the escape is ever-present - I and others recognized that the atmosphere of the room conveyed a sense of permanence. This wasn't a break from a day's work, a "forgoing of intellectual thought," as you put it; this was the pinnacle of a lifestyle that shuns intellectual thought. Severe alcoholics don't drink to temporarily forgo life, they drink because they've gone to the point where they can't live outside of an inebriated state. Such was the atmosphere of these parties - this isn't just a bunch of kids letting loose and having fun, it's a bunch of kids who have either never known or have shunned the capacity of higher thought.

Come to think, it was like a scene straight out of Fahrenheit 451. The people of that story weren't merely escaping reality, their pleasure became their reality - sound, light, sensual pleasure that overwhelmed and destroyed thought, to the point that thought is made impossible even outside of the music-pounding environment.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:33 am UTC

thorgold wrote:have either never known or have shunned the capacity of higher thought.

Y'know I'm tempted to make a comment about Catholic Mass here...
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:25 am UTC

Midnight wrote:stop.
calling.
things.
strawman arguments.

I swear to god it's more common on this forum than other places (but other places just say 'you're stupid' and leave it at that)... but saying 'that's a strawman' doesn't make you intelligent. It doesn't make your point stronger, UNLESS the argument is ABOUT like, literal concrete stuff. If someone uses hyperbole to make a point, their point isn't nullified by you saying "but that's a strawman! you lose!".

It's fucking stupid.

It's entertaining from a certain point of view. I like to imagine someone has just encountered this forum and notices that the debates here often involve terms like strawman and ad hominem. So he/she looks up the list of logical fallacies on Wikipedia and thinks "wow, I can invoke these to attack my opponent's arguments, and thus bolster my own" (the fact that this is itself an ad hominem doesn't seem to faze them). He/she then proceeds to use them at every opportunity by quote sniping every snippet of text where they could possibly be applied. So any use of hyperbole will be met with an accusation of strawmanning, and anyone getting exasperated enough to say "you're an ass" gets accused of ad homineming (that's totally a word).
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Evengeduld
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:09 am UTC
Location: Somewhere in between the Sun and Pluto's orbit

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Evengeduld » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:44 am UTC

Monday morning meetings... YUK

they should invent a law to ban them
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

User avatar
the_mean_marine
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby the_mean_marine » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:34 am UTC

Monday morning traffic, seriously just because you're all tired and don't want to be out of bed is no reason to drive as if you were competing in an unholy union of demolition derby and a game of keep away; and to top it all off if you didn't get first place your entire extended family are going to be executed in a snuff film conceived by the twisted guy who came up with the human centipede.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 am UTC

I've never noticed monday morning traffic to be appreciably worse than other morning traffic. It's just universally horrific.

Rant: that sandwich was awful. The bread was dry and slightly stale, and when I asked for smoked salmon and cucumber, I didn't mean "cram as many cucumber slices as it is physically possible to cram in there, and one tiny, barely detectable sliver of salmon laid decoratively on top".
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby emceng » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

Fuck humidity. I got about 4 hours of sleep last night because it was so warm, humid, and unpleasant. So I'm at work now in a half stupor and can't concentrate.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
El Spark
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:34 pm UTC
Location: Lower nowhere

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby El Spark » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:
Spoiler:
I've worked in a library for almost three years. Today, for the first time, I had to restrain myself from slapping a patron.

I'm in the back, in the children's section, shelving books. A woman comes up with several kids in tow, asks me where the books on space are, as her daughter is interested. I show her.

Then, I hear her say this: "No, $daughter, only one. Here, take this one. But I want you to have something to read, so go get a fiction book, or maybe a cookbook."

In three sentences, this woman has just hit four of my hot buttons:

1. Restricting what her kid reads
2. Choosing books for the kid - when she clearly wanted to choose herself
3. Implying that nonfiction is not "real" reading - that only fiction is an okay choice
4. Enforcing arbitrary gender roles (the brother was sitting reading a sports book)

Now, I can chalk the first three up to personal bias - reading nonfiction and having my parents let me read whatever I wanted were big parts of my intellectual development - but the fourth alone was enough to get my angry. Telling her daughter that it's not okay for her to read science - if she wants nonfiction, then she can go to the kitchen - forced me to move away to avoid doing something I would regret.


I heard that. 5.5 years in a children's library here. My pet peeve is the Accelerated Reader program by Renaissance Learning. The idea is, you read a book and then take a short test over the book. If you pass the test, you get a certain number of points based on the difference between your reading level and the book's level.

Okayish. The problem comes in when a teacher assigns a certain number of points per year. Forcing kids to read is a time-honored tactic, one which I'm not going to comment on here, but the AR tests throw in a whole 'nother level. I can't tell you how many times I've been ready to check some books out to a child (read as: anyone in ages 6-18) and a parent will ask whether the book is worth any points. If it's NOT, or at least not within the scope of the AR test, then it's very common for a parent to take a book away from a child, a book THE CHILD CHOSE TO READ, and tell the child to go get something worth some points. Like Hank the Fucking Cowdog* instead of, say, a fantasy book that just hasn't made it onto RenLearn's radar yet.

*Yes, Hank is a delightful character who (as far as I know) engages in little to no intercourse during his written adventures. The fact remains that part of me dies a little when I see a high school senior reading them for a fiction assignment.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Torvaun » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

Oh look, Obama caved. I feel like we should start calling him President Quisling.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:Oh look, Obama caved. I feel like we should start calling him President Quisling.

Really? All the articles I'm reading simply say they "came to a deal", with no mention as to who came out of it better off.

Last Minute US Deal Prevents Certain Death Of Everybody In World.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:Oh look, Obama caved. I feel like we should start calling him President Quisling.

I hardly think that coming to a compromise is the same as helping the Nazis while they conquer your country.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the scenario you described. I also don't see anything hypocritical, depending on which Catholic tenants you follow, about participating in said event then going to church. In addition, I don't see any problem with occasionally forgoing intellectual thought or higher thinking and just doing something that gives me a "high", whether it be watching porn, drinking to inebriation or playing a video game full of explosions. Furthermore, what is wrong with girls having a sense of humor or other positive attitude towards sex? How is this seen as real? What the fuck does that mean? It's not real, it's an escape from reality. I go see a Rob Zombie concert full of explosions, fake blood, girls in bikinis and, oh yea, music loud enough to make my ears bleed to get the hell away from real life for a bit, and because it's exhilarating. Do you chastise people or think less of them for going on amusement park rides because they aren't "real".

I see where you're coming from, but I was thinking of people who see reading as inherently "boring" compared to the aforementioned Rave Orgies. There's been a number of times when I chose to read in a corner instead of joining in, and people saw that as a problem. (ISHTST: Introverted ≠ Depressed.)

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Torvaun » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

No increased revenue, only decreased spending. Cuts to Medicare on the provider side, making it likely that fewer providers will even accept Medicare. The recession will deepen because making jobs and cutting spending are incompatible. In short, this "deal" has the debt ceiling that needed to happen to keep our nation from defaulting, and a bunch of riders attached that come straight out of the Tea Party agenda. It's the compromise of a sheep telling a wolf "What if you only eat -part- of me?"
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
rath358
The bone of my bone
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 am UTC
Location: west Camberville

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby rath358 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

thorgold wrote:While I can see where you're coming from, you're missing my point, and this is my fault. As I said, I'm at a loss for words to specifically describe the innate revulsion of what was going on, but I can say that it wasn't just me or my personal views - several people were walking out, and two that I talked to basically said: "Something's just not right about it."

And what I'm saying is that this isn't an "escape" from reality when the escape is ever-present - I and others recognized that the atmosphere of the room conveyed a sense of permanence. This wasn't a break from a day's work, a "forgoing of intellectual thought," as you put it; this was the pinnacle of a lifestyle that shuns intellectual thought. Severe alcoholics don't drink to temporarily forgo life, they drink because they've gone to the point where they can't live outside of an inebriated state. Such was the atmosphere of these parties - this isn't just a bunch of kids letting loose and having fun, it's a bunch of kids who have either never known or have shunned the capacity of higher thought.

Come to think, it was like a scene straight out of Fahrenheit 451. The people of that story weren't merely escaping reality, their pleasure became their reality - sound, light, sensual pleasure that overwhelmed and destroyed thought, to the point that thought is made impossible even outside of the music-pounding environment.

The first time I looked at your original post, I thought "WTF!? Dancing is just fun. It may not be for everybody, but..."
Then I thought more about it. The situation you described did seem a bit more extreme than most dances I have been to, and the part where you mentioned escapism seemed especially relevant. I guess that some parties are problematic like that.
If you can, please try not to rule off all dances, though. I find that most are a blast.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kang » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Torvaun wrote:Oh look, Obama caved. I feel like we should start calling him President Quisling.

I hardly think that coming to a compromise is the same as helping the Nazis while they conquer your country.

That's exactly what you would say if you were a COMMUNIST! (Just kidding. The real rant is how there literally are people who couldn't last longer than five sentences in an argument if it wasn't for the Nazis they could compare their counterpart to.)

User avatar
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby setzer777 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

thorgold wrote:While I can see where you're coming from, you're missing my point, and this is my fault. As I said, I'm at a loss for words to specifically describe the innate revulsion of what was going on, but I can say that it wasn't just me or my personal views - several people were walking out, and two that I talked to basically said: "Something's just not right about it."

And what I'm saying is that this isn't an "escape" from reality when the escape is ever-present - I and others recognized that the atmosphere of the room conveyed a sense of permanence. This wasn't a break from a day's work, a "forgoing of intellectual thought," as you put it; this was the pinnacle of a lifestyle that shuns intellectual thought. Severe alcoholics don't drink to temporarily forgo life, they drink because they've gone to the point where they can't live outside of an inebriated state. Such was the atmosphere of these parties - this isn't just a bunch of kids letting loose and having fun, it's a bunch of kids who have either never known or have shunned the capacity of higher thought.

Come to think, it was like a scene straight out of Fahrenheit 451. The people of that story weren't merely escaping reality, their pleasure became their reality - sound, light, sensual pleasure that overwhelmed and destroyed thought, to the point that thought is made impossible even outside of the music-pounding environment.


Hardly seems permanent when we're talking about a 2 hour event following a day of physical activity that does require discipline and focus. I see nothing wrong with an attitude that rates physical pleasure as one of the highest goals. I imagine some people get as much fulfillment out of those celebrations as the most devout get out of Mass. It's not for everyone sure, but then Catholic Mass isn't for me (and I disagree with the fundamental philosophy it represents): I wouldn't so far as to say nobody gets anything good out of it.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

You know what I hate?
Poorly drawn diagrams in homework.
Image
Unless you assume that side of the square is supposed to be part of the side of the triangle -- which it's clearly not -- and that the line going through the square is supposed to be perpendicular to the sides of the square -- which, not only is it not indicated, but to the naked eye you can see that it's NOT -- you can't do anything.

This is the summer homework for honors physics. I almost feel embarrassed to have signed up for the class.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby emceng » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

I wish my social life had speeds beside zero and 100%.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:30 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Unless you assume that side of the square is supposed to be part of the side of the triangle -- which it's clearly not -- and that the line going through the square is supposed to be perpendicular to the sides of the square -- which, not only is it not indicated, but to the naked eye you can see that it's NOT -- you can't do anything.
It kind of looks like the square is falling into a gap in the triangle... Maybe you're supposed to calculate where it ends up?

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 am UTC

Sorry, I meant the homework BEFORE you take honors physics. You need not have taken a physics class before, ever. No, you're just supposed to find theta. And it's just a crappy diagram.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
M.C.
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:06 pm UTC
Location: South of the equator.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby M.C. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:42 am UTC

I would say it is a very poorly drawn diagram of a mass resting on a slope, with the angle of the slope.*

*keep in mind I have not done a lot of physics...
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Nat
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Nat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

Foundation's Edge: The premise: "Hey, you know these three really successful books I wrote, for which everyone's been begging me for a sequel for years? How about I write a sequel that makes the previous books completely pointless! screw the seldon plan!"
Also, the way everyone in foundation and earth talks about kids like they're objects.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

Nat wrote:Also, the way everyone in foundation and earth talks about kids like they're objects.


They are?

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Obby » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Loans. Fuck loans. I need one (still) for the next school year, but I'll be damned if I can find one.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Nat
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Nat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Nat wrote:Also, the way everyone in foundation and earth talks about kids like they're objects.


They are?

there's the scene where Daneel wants to take over the kid's mind, and the only reason it bothers anyone is because Bliss'll lose her pet.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

The solarian kids are completely alien compared to ours; is it the similiar dna that bothers you?


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests