Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ulc

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ulc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:"Survival of the fittest" is translated in french as "survival of the strongest".

YOU ARE MISSING PART OF THE MEANING GUYS

Survival of the fittest is sort of a missing part of the meaning in English as well.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

Sel wrote:Couldn't agree more. I think what put me off liking anime were some of the fans, particularly those in my Japanese class who end up talking like children because obviously anime is the foremost linguistic authority for the language.

Very much agreed.

I had that moment of rage last night mainly because fucking Engrish is an obstacle that I, an Chinese American, have to fight to overcome for my entire fucking life. I'm the one who has to grin and bear it when my friends snicker over my parents' accents. I'm the one who gets to hear the same fucking jokes over and over and over about my expertise at rice and hear my words repeated back to me in butchered Engrish. I'm the one who gets strangers telling me things loudly and slowly before I restrain myself from rolling my eyes and start talking in fluent English. And this child, this naive white brat, just goes and infantilizes an entire continent, trivializes the struggles of assimilation for a century and a half, because she wants to be a different race that pretty much only exists in her head. And she's not the only one.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Sel wrote:Couldn't agree more. I think what put me off liking anime were some of the fans, particularly those in my Japanese class who end up talking like children because obviously anime is the foremost linguistic authority for the language. Maybe my irrational hatred of weeaboos (which is such a fantastic word for it) just comes from that fact that because I'm learning Japanese I'm obviously some rabid fangirl of anything Asian, when in reality I just think it's an interesting language.
That's why I watch dubs, I don't need any of that baggage (woolseyism powers activate, form of, a comprehensible reference). :mrgreen:

Though I would kinda like to learn Japanese. :X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:03 am UTC

Xeio wrote:That's why I watch dubs, I don't need any of that baggage (woolseyism powers activate, form of, a comprehensible reference). :mrgreen:

Ok.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Xeio wrote:That's why I watch dubs, I don't need any of that baggage (woolseyism powers activate, form of, a comprehensible reference). :mrgreen:

Ok.

The Japanese have what could be called an "interesting" grammatical structure, but could also be called "confusing", "random", "bogus" or "evil".

/confirm

I got curious and started learning japanese for a little while, went "sod it", and dropped it (my grades in english were good enough to do drop other, lesser languages, apparently).
So much random, arbitrary shit. Goddamn.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Ok.
Hence why I haven't tried. Alas, I am lazy. :mrgreen:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:38 am UTC

If you're going to learn a language just to be bilingual, Spanish is probably the easiest way to go... The learning curve in Japanese is Dwarf-Fortressian, and Chinese is even worse.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:If you're going to learn a language just to be bilingual, Spanish is probably the easiest way to go... The learning curve in Japanese is Dwarf-Fortressian, and Chinese is even worse.
Possibly, though at this point I'm probably closer to learning German (and even then, the stuff that I "learned" in high school is probably useless at this point too, unless it's easier to pick the basics after learning them once). I dunno. :P

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:47 am UTC

Despite this variety of foods, however, the Japanese have succeeded in making every single thing they eat, from tea to plums, taste like smokey beef.

At this point I started laughing out loud.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Fuck.

I am not doing well at all.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Hiccups. That has been today. Today ha sbeen hiccups.

That typo was the result of a hiccup and I'm not fixing it.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:59 am UTC

I apologize if this is inappropriate, but

The Scyphozoa wrote:That typo was the result of a hiccup and I'm not fixing it.

....excuse me while I stop giggling. Why am I so amused by this?

(Also, my condolences. Hiccups suck.)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:01 am UTC

May we recommend cures? Did you know that hiccups could be a signal for a life-threatening diseases, such as cancer, stroke, and mental health problems? Should visit here immediately to learn more about your affliction. May be benign, though, and simply last for sixty-eight years. Would be a relief.

Will supply another unauthorized cure. Imagine attempting the cure of gargling water, and then hiccupping. Might get enough to fill your lungs and drown. Wonders if that could occur by drinking fluids normally. Shrugs. Please inform us if you expire.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:02 am UTC

BLERGH

I've now slept like crap for two nights in a row, I have a assignment to work on, and I can't concentrate due to the crappy sleep.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Viae

Postby Viae » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 am UTC

I always cure mine my bending over a sink and drinking a glass of water from the other side. Seems to work.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Anyone got good cures for procrastination? I just realized I've stalled my project on a damn login form (something which I clearly know how to progress, and have simply been lazy). Throw in minecraft and an MMORPG, and I'm getting nowhere.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 am UTC

I set goals and rewards for myself. "ok, after x pages on this report, I get an hour (usually turns to an hour and a half) on Mass Effect." Or go out to eat. Or whatever.

If you have enough time, you can try working on it in stages. Complete x-percent this week, and don't worry about the rest 'til next week.

Time for my rant: my hand hurts like heck, my collar is bruised, and my glasses are bent because of work. Eff unloading hospital beds from a truck without a ramp installed.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:39 am UTC

Try holding your breath for a long time. (While working on your project.)

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:43 am UTC

It's been my experience that unconsciousness does not bode well for ending procrastination.

Just sayin'.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 am UTC

The only hiccups cure I've seen that (in my experience) universally works is the 'genuinely unexpected shock' approach. For example, a friend(?) pouring a glass of iced water over your head when you're not expecting it. This may be a less pleasant experience than just putting up with the actual hiccups, however :wink:

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:46 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:I set goals and rewards for myself. "ok, after x pages on this report, I get an hour (usually turns to an hour and a half) on Mass Effect." Or go out to eat. Or whatever.

If you have enough time, you can try working on it in stages. Complete x-percent this week, and don't worry about the rest 'til next week.
This is my advice too. I also was a big fan of daily to-do lists when I was at uni.

Rant: Ugh. Two triggery nightmares last night, and I have to be at work in an hour or so and and deal with members of the public. All I want to do is curl up in a ball.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:00 am UTC

Could start on something else productive that is easier. Tended to do a reading assignment or a simple problem set before tackling a difficult or lengthy assignment. Functions as a stepping stone between pleasure and work.

Try envisioning disapproving glares and low grades too. What would your guardians/friends think? May need to retake the class if you continue procrastinating. Requires doing all the work you did previously again, and this too. Increases your likelihood of pulling an all-nighter (or two). Will be able to play games and mine dirt sooner if you begin now.

Had the fortune of watching my roommates struggle with procrastination. Set goals for themselves. "Do this problem by the end of the day." Never quite followed it. Tasked me with hurling objects at them if they were slacking off. Was ineffective. Always resulted in a coding marathon two days before the due date. Knew I did not want that for myself. Could catch an illness during those two days. Would suffer to complete it and still receive a poor grade. No thanks.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:02 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:I set goals and rewards for myself. "ok, after x pages on this report, I get an hour (usually turns to an hour and a half) on Mass Effect." Or go out to eat. Or whatever.

That works fine until you realise you can just have the reward without doing any of the work. The game disk is right there on the desk. That's why that approach never really worked for me. I still don't know how I managed to muddle through uni. Probably just the fear of failure.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 am UTC

The problem with granular steps with coding/programming is that you don't quite know exactly how big a step will be, which seems to be my problem. If I'm writing, say, documentation, I'll set myself a goal of finishing x sections.

But with code...
- It's hard to actually see the progress made, sometimes. "Yay, I finished writing the backup UI, in case someone starts filling the form with javascript off, then turns it on for the AJAX to run. Wait, does that ever happen?"
- Bugs. A 5 minute procedure can lead to finding an extensive bug in an underlying system that takes 2 hours to make.
- Unforeseen dependencies/workarounds. I guess this is my fault for not thinking through the plan properly.

And my worst enemy:
- There is nothing to lose by pressing the 'undo' button. AIM FOR PERFECTION!

The weirdest thing of all is that I have 2 methods which have, in the past, been a clear victory for productivity:
1. Have an SO, or better yet, SO family member, watch your back.
2. Disconnect from all internet and so forth, listen to music, sit back in a nice breezy mountaintop cafe, and code for hours.

Sadly both are a bit too hard to replicate right now.

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:28 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:If you're going to learn a language just to be bilingual, Spanish is probably the easiest way to go... The learning curve in Japanese is Dwarf-Fortressian, and Chinese is even worse.

Really? I always thought Japanese was the harder one, mostly for its tendency to seemingly change the rules altogether just because 'this is a different situation'.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Fuck this day.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

roband wrote:Fuck this day.

Hear hear!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Got news that some people from a nearby school was planning on bringing a shotgun to school as a prank, and try shooting over teachers' (and possibly students') shoulders to terrify them. How could that possibly go wrong? /enraged

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Got news that some people from a nearby school was planning on bringing a shotgun to school as a prank, and try shooting over teachers' (and possibly students') shoulders to terrify them. How could that possibly go wrong? /enraged

Err... call the police?

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Got news that some people from a nearby school was planning on bringing a shotgun to school as a prank, and try shooting over teachers' (and possibly students') shoulders to terrify them. How could that possibly go wrong? /enraged

That shit is seriously dangerous, illegal, irresponsible, stupid, fucked up, weird and disturbing.
Oh and yes, call the police.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

I'd like to add wtfery of the highest order to that list.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Yeah, we've reported it to the police and school security already. The kid tried the "someone made that up to pick on me" excuse, though, so I don't know how that turned up. To add to my rage, someone told me I should've waited till the day to report it, so then they could catch him red-handed. Sorry, not going to try that stunt.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

Steax wrote:SO family member
Not judging, just curious: does this mean what I think it means? Or did you mean "SO's family member"?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Yeah, I did. No wonder that sounded weird.

I mean, if it's my SO seeing me slack off, I'll shove it off easily. If it's her parents, not so much. I find working at her home to be.. much more... may I say "exhilarating", in a way.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

I am having a really. hard. time. reading and writing in the rape culture thread. When the most basic idea fly over people's heads over and over and over. I keep telling myself I won't go back to reading it but then I do.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

I need to use that as an adjective more often...

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

I still have some highschool german left. I really really want to learn Welsh though, so that next time my grandparents visit I can do more than shout "D'win ddim sharad Cymrag!" ineffectually at them.

Rant: Last night, for the first time in the 13 years I've lived in this house, I was woken up by a train.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Steax, did you manage to solve your coding procrastination problem? I've set up mingw, and then wandered off and have yet to actually write much code to compile with it.
Last edited by Ptolom on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:and then wandered off and have yet to actually much code to compile with it.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

Hah, I'm probably too sleep deprived to code anything functional, or even comprehensible in the morning.

Return to “General”