Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

M.C.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby M.C. » Sat May 21, 2011 6:34 am UTC

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/gay-m ... 1exko.html

Fucking cowards. Don't have the balls to vote for it, but want to exploit the status quo. Want to fuck over a minority for the sake of some fucktard Christians? At least say it. :evil:
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

Huh.

So I talked to one of the department secretaries about what I needed to get done to finish up the masters by the end of the summer. So I filled out all the forms I needed done by the end of the semester but there was one other one that they told me I had until 3 weeks into the summer session to finish. Turns out it was due at the end of the last semester. I'm not sure if they'll let it slide (I hear they used to be pretty lenient but they're cracking down on getting stuff in on time now). I guess it wouldn't be too bad because I'm getting the PhD eventually too (hopefully!) but I guess I just wish they wouldn't have told me information about due dates that was wrong.

I mean I probably should have checked those dates myself but I thought I could trust this secretary. Oh well...
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun May 22, 2011 12:26 am UTC

Here's a tip. Don't let drunken teens discuss liberalism and the attitudes of the sixties before leaving the pub. It leads to stupidity.
Also, if this does happen, ensure you are at least drunk enough to enjoy your friend's antics.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 am UTC

That sounds like an interesting anecdote.
Ⓞⓞ◯

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 am UTC

Unfortunately, the Awesome After-Prom Party last night sucked. Apparently there was no alcohol (despite that being the main attraction) and when we got there there were tons of people leaving and telling us it was awful. The cops had already come twice and as we were driving away someone came out and told everyone to go away and the cops pulled up for a third time.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 22, 2011 1:31 am UTC

No booze and the cops called three times? What the hell was going on? Sounds like you may have got yourselves invited to a fight club or sacrifice night. Probably best that you didn't get there earlier, to be honest.
Ⓞⓞ◯

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:38 am UTC

Loud music, I guess? The house was pretty isolated though, not that near other houses or anything.

I think it was more that the cops were bored. It's a small town, only a few cops, and they don't have much to do.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 22, 2011 2:53 am UTC

Ah, so they wanted an invite to the sick party? I understand now.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Dason

Postby Dason » Sun May 22, 2011 5:58 am UTC

Fuck you garage door opener. I need to go pick up my wife but you apparently decide to break for no reason. This wouldn't be so bad except the damn landlord has the oldest fucking garage door in history on this damn door. No keypad and we don't have any key to open the garage door. Which means I can't get to my damn car. Fuck you door. Fuck you. I should just take an axe to you and kindly explain to the landlord that there was no alternative. Maybe if I hold the axe whilst explaining said actions there wouldn't be any fee to replace that shit.

I swear if he tries to charge us for this damn ancient piece of shit randomly breaking I'm going to break off his leg and beat him with it.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sun May 22, 2011 6:14 am UTC

[rant]What the fuck do I do now?[/rant]
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun May 22, 2011 6:18 am UTC

The one time I make sure to be well organised and way ahead on my assignment, so I don't end up pulling a marathon near the deadline just to get it done, I get chucked in the deep end at work, can't do any study during the week, and end up pulling a weekend marathon near the deadline just to get it done. I mean, the work thing is awesome and totally worth it, the best thing that could have happened for my career. But holy FSM I am tired. I never want to look at another cointegration test stat ever again. Well, one way or another, it'll be over in five days. *works on explaining measures of predictive accuracy*

T3CHN0CR4T

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Sun May 22, 2011 9:10 am UTC

Dason wrote:Fuck you garage door opener. I need to go pick up my wife but you apparently decide to break for no reason. This wouldn't be so bad except the damn landlord has the oldest fucking garage door in history on this damn door. No keypad and we don't have any key to open the garage door. Which means I can't get to my damn car. Fuck you door. Fuck you. I should just take an axe to you and kindly explain to the landlord that there was no alternative. Maybe if I hold the axe whilst explaining said actions there wouldn't be any fee to replace that shit.

I swear if he tries to charge us for this damn ancient piece of shit randomly breaking I'm going to break off his leg and beat him with it.

This (Not your pain, but your threat to your landlord) made my day. Thank you! :lol:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun May 22, 2011 11:02 am UTC

So I just woke up from an awful dream. I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and the dream involved me missing my flight(and not wearing pants).

In addition to that wonderful feeling, I can't fall asleep again, and it's not even 6 fucking AM on a Sunday.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun May 22, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Coding projects, teammates are supposed to be sorta competent; nope, they way way late. I found this gem in their code:

int fact(int n)
{
int result;
if (n==0)
{
result=1;
}
else
{
result=n*fact(n-1);
}
return result;
}

Funny thing are,
1) The project is supposed to run quickly
2) There is a "include <math.h>" a few lines over.

Goddamn.

edit:
holy fuck... instead of using a double array, she uses only one array and sticks everything back to back
ohgodwhat

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun May 22, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD8-PSOuIys&NR=1(Trigger warning: extreme rape apology)
I should have remembered how bad for the blood pressure browing around Youtube related videos is, but still. Fuck this guy so much. I watched quietly with a slowly progressing disgust at what I thought he was about to say. Then I punched a wall. I'm writing incoherently now from the left over rage.
He could even have made a perfectly reasonable counterargument that it's unfair to condemn an entire religion based on the actions of one despotic regime. Damn it. I'm going to watch a TED talk to recalibrate my faith in humanity.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Sun May 22, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

Oh my. I really wish the internet was series of tubes so that I could send a thousand blow darts covered in poison dart frog skin secretions into his face.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Sun May 22, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

My dad's girlfriend wrote me a letter (not an email, a friggin letter) to basically say "here are all the ways you suck...but this comes from love!" The woman is a master of being passive aggressive and dramatic. Not only did she write and mail me this letter as opposed to, I dunno, talking to me directly as she knew we'd be seeing each other yesterday, but she's continuing this whole "you've hurt your father" crap when he keeps saying to me he couldn't care less in what order he walks down the aisle.

My favorite part was how she goes on about how she's "clueless" as to why I don't have a better relationship with my dad (only worded in a way that made me sound like I was the one causing the tension). Yes, you are clueless, lady. Because you seem to have this magic wand that has erased all his years of being a drunken asshole who liked to knock me around. You know about it, so I don't see why you can't fathom that I'm not all lovey dovey with him.

Ugh, she's pretty much the only person who's causing all this drama, and I honestly don't care if I've "hurt her terribly", because I know she's crazy and is "hurt" by anything. Like how she was so hurt by her new daughter in law not picking the stamps for the envelopes that she wanted. This, apparently, made the daughter in law a "bridezilla". I know I shouldn't let her get to me and I won't let her do what she did to her daughter in law. I'm not going to back down on the decisions my fiance and I have made for OUR wedding and I'm not going to let her try to put a wedge between me and my father.

I know all that...but can I still shove a pen in her eye?

P.S. - You've known me since I was 14. Perhaps it's time to learn how to spell my name correctly.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun May 22, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

I do not envy you your wedding drama. I was pretty stressed out by my wedding, and in that case, everyone involved was very chill, and nobody *really* tried to influence my decisions (barring some repeated comments about veil/garter/bouquet tossing traditions that I HAD to do). Try to just stick to your guns and do what you want. It's YOUR wedding.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

It would figure that on the day I was finally going to take those pictures I'd been procrastinating for over a month, it's very foggy and is predicted to stay that way. Guess I'll have to think of something else to shoot, as this project is due in two or three days and I'll need all of them to be able to actually finish.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Viae

Postby Viae » Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

23 off one over, Balagi. That's all you had to stop from happening. The bloke got four fours, a one and a six. Now we're going to shank in the eliminator and you'll have cost me £45. Blargle.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 am UTC

Mediacom has a near monopoly on the internet in this town. Their equipment gets affected by torrential rains and they won't fix it. Why should they? And now the internet that everyone is paying money for is nearly non-functional. Grr.

Edit: New rant:
So I'm reading this story on the Wall Street Journal about a museum finding an old smallpox scab in a letter, and the CDC gets called in to remove the scab and test it, and it is subsequently irradiated. Standard response, right? Especially when the article goes on to say that nobody knows how much of the virus is still around old cemeteries and medical chests, even in the back of old virology freezers.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... %3Darticle

Then I go to the comments section. (Wall Street Journal is right-leaning in the same sense that the NYTimes is left-leaning).
The only thing that surprises me is that such a disgusting piece of the exhibit wasn't funded by the NEA.

Indeed, Jean. Equally surprising is that the WSJ got hold of the story before NPR could have released their liberal bent on it.

So again, a huge federal fuss over nothing. Exactly how much farther into debt did this exercise in futility push us?

Protecting and serving, how nice.

What. The Fuck. So the CDC doing its job and determining if a potentially infected smallpox scab is still infectious, given the fact that most people aren't vaccinated against it any more, and any vector could potentially cause another outbreak...this is spun into some kind of tea party type bullshit about big government? Give me a fucking break.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 am UTC

@PBD: I'd just like to take this opportunity to say, fuck the Tea Party. The CDC is easily more effective than their proposed alternative of "let the private sector sort everything out".
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 am UTC

Man, I'm generally pretty libertarian, but the idea of "let the private sector deal with incredibly deadly pathogens" scares the fuck out of even me.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 23, 2011 2:02 am UTC

I particularly enjoyed how someone managed to work a petty carp about NPR into it.

Thankfully, a couple sane people were also in the comments. But the fact that they even had to say, "yeah, so it's better to have the experts deal with it than Joe Bob" was just a facepalm.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 am UTC

I lost hope in general about people who post on any comment section online. Most people are either complete idiots and don't understand what they are commenting about or Trolls who do stupid things on purpose.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 am UTC

I've made the executive decision to stop reading the comments on any WSJ article about rape, sexism, or women in power. The first comment is almost always guaranteed to be "MISANDRY!!!!11!11!"
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Mon May 23, 2011 2:13 am UTC

At least you get mad at real issues.

I get pissed and can't read any article about Games/Gaming. People have no clue what goes into making a video game and hearing them talk, just pisses me off and hurts my head.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Mon May 23, 2011 2:38 am UTC

_Axle_ wrote:At least you get mad at real issues.

I get pissed and can't read any article about Games/Gaming. People have no clue what goes into making a video game and hearing them talk, just pisses me off and hurts my head.

Hey, me too!
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Mediacom has a near monopoly on the internet in this town. Their equipment gets affected by torrential rains and they won't fix it. Why should they? And now the internet that everyone is paying money for is nearly non-functional. Grr.

I haaaaaaaaaate Mediacom. The only cable company I hate worse is GCI, which I have to deal with now. Ugh.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon May 23, 2011 3:48 am UTC

Goddamn you. You have absolutely no idea how fucking lucky you are that I have absolutely iron self control. If I didn't have more important plans for my future, I would stab you in the face, trundle you into your trunk, and slag the whole thing down to a puddle of steel and aluminum and dross.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Mon May 23, 2011 4:18 am UTC

I just spent the past two hours looking at different engineering programs. If I hear or see the word 'interdisciplinary' again, I might give up on college and move to a rock in the middle of the ocean. Saying that your school is 'unique due to its varied curriculum' doesn't mean much if every other school says that too.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 23, 2011 5:18 am UTC

As someone who has been guilty of describing my engineering school with exactly those phrases on the engineering website...well, there's only so much I can say when I'm not allowed to speak informally or honestly about said school. That's the nature of PR.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon May 23, 2011 6:09 am UTC

Everything I've been able to find about colleges has been pretty much useless as helping decide whether or not to go there. The only thing that's made a difference is visiting the campus.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 am UTC

The way I've seen it, the campus and the community is pretty important, since its what you have to deal with for your entire university career. On the other hand, interdisciplinary can mean a variety of things, so really it just means see our website for actual specific details.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 am UTC

Levi wrote:Everything I've been able to find about colleges has been pretty much useless as helping decide whether or not to go there. The only thing that's made a difference is visiting the campus.

yeah that's definitely the way of it. and reading stuff by people who went to said college (but not on the college website itself, cause that's all propaganda). plus the lists or whatever that various magazines have.
uhhhh fuck.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon May 23, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Doubts you will hear that their engineering program is "terrible beyond all belief" from the university. Will always be "one of the best around", if that. Can only tell you to try to discover how far “around” reaches from an unbiased source, if possible.

Never received anything too useful from visiting, personally. Visited one university for a scholarship test. Saw classrooms. Informed us that we could speak to the professors. Looked at buildings. Froze. Ate in a residence hall. Acquired a glass swan from glass blowers (still has that). Took the scholarship test (never received a letter detailing my stupidity, incidentally).

Visited another university, this time for orientation. Saw classrooms. Informed us we could speak to professors. Told us that we would have homework. Looked at buildings. Aggravated me with several ice breakers. Walked through a fountain. Ate in a residence hall. Learned that I never wanted to return to that residence hall again (nor did I). Watched a student performance. Took placement tests.

Desired to leave early on both occasions. Gained no useful information about either college (excluding that residence hall I shunned). May argue that the second university wanted me to have an enjoyable experience as they dumped inane facts on me. Seems difficult to get a better grasp on the community than that, considering most people you interact with could have been at the other university too (in my case).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

casiguapa

Postby casiguapa » Mon May 23, 2011 10:19 am UTC

Hey, you, don't discuss my health with people without my consent. Especially when you barely even bother to talk to me. Especially when you don't even know if I like them or not. Not fucking cool. Don't make me turn into an even bigger asshole than I'm already capable of being. You should know better.
<SugarTits> What's a penis?
<Casiguapa> Heisenberg

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon May 23, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

So, given that all things are equal, I think you are a cock-mangling douchemonkey. When you find out that I am in a relationship, the first thing that you are not supposed to do is assume that I have been speaking with you because I want to "cheat on my long distance whore". That was...certainly an interesting choice of words. Also, considering I have not shown you pictures of her, it was pretty much a given that you'd jump to the conclusion that since I am whiter than a snowman with a bukkake fetish my significant other must also be white. Because we white folk can't be attracted to anyone who is not white. Them's the facts.

Regardless, I digress. See, I speak to you, on occasion, because I need to communicate to you that your continual ignoring of your sprog causes them to do silly things that create noise above and beyond what one could feasibly consider "nominal". See, I remember being a kid. I remember running around, dodging carbombs, having people scream at me in a language I barely understood. Wanting to shoot me... Well, fuck. Actually, I don't remember being a kid. That got ripped away by a cruel and uncaring world pretty early on. Ok, well I remember what Hollywood has told me being a kid is like. I would hope that more children would have those kinds of adventures. See, we have this really cool nature area right behind our fences. This awesome place has stuff for kids to do. Stuff that a kid the age of your sprog could do. In the park. Behind our fence. Seeing my point here? No? Yeah. Didn't think so.

See, your kid is pretty cool, when they have someone to give them attention. I was standing there talking to you, and playing with your kid at the same time. I can multi-task. It's a skill, I'll admit, that not many people seem to possess, but I managed to give your child attention and deflect your comments on my, again, "cheating friend". I patiently waited for my turn to speak, because I learned long ago that I can't address issues with you without waiting for you to have your speaking time. I also held my tongue about the nature of my relationship(s). Why? Because I really don't want to give you any more of an idea than you've already given yourself. I don't speak to you because I want in your lady parts. In fact, I don't speak to you by choice at all. Fire would be my preferred method of communication with you.

So, when I mention that the park behind the houses is well within LOS for everyone. Me, you, fifty other houses, I don't say this because I want to invite you over to chat while your kid is "out of the way". This is not that kind of invitation. Your husband is an emotional train-wreck of a man. It is clear that you dominate the relationship, and have ground him into a flavorless pap that survives on what little nourishment he can get while he is at work and away from you. He is not, however, a bad guy. He's just broken. So no, I'm not interested in furthering his brokenness. And even if you were single, and I interested in sex, I could get much, much better than you.

Since you can't seem to focus on what I'm saying, and my advice has gone unheeded, it's time that I got the state involved. You see, I have a "friend" who works with the CPS here in Oregon. I'm sure you'll love them. They're good people. Just remember, all of this could have been avoided by letting your child be a child. The park is not unsafe. The park is not in an area known for kidnapping, and I've seen kids two to three years younger than your child playing unsupervised. I know this. I've returned their toys when they go over my fence. They were polite enough to come to my door, instead of tramping into my backyard like you do. Uninvited.

So, long story short? The TL;DR version of this? I hate you.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:So, long story short? The TL;DR version of this? I hate you.

Jesus, sounds like you have reason to. Poor kid, poor husband and poor you. In fact, poor everyone involved with that woman o_O
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:See, your kid is pretty cool, when they have someone to give them attention. I was standing there talking to you, and playing with your kid at the same time. I can multi-task.

Ok, I read this sentence and pictured you talking to this woman, while throwing a ball for the kid to chase and bring back - like playing fetch with a dog.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “General”