Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Levi » Sun May 08, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Spoilered for unsolicited advice.
Spoiler:
Think about it this way. You're in a basketball game, and you're getting towards the end of the first quarter. You've been getting your ass handed to you by the home team. When the break comes, you've still got three more quarters to play. Take what lessons you can from the beatdown, and give them hell for three more quarters. You dig?

Advice is welcome. I get what you're saying. The hope of a better life after I'm out of here is what's been keeping me going and I try to enjoy the moments I can now. Basketball probably wasn't the best metaphor for you to choose, though: I played in middle school and my team lost damn near every game, plus I was just about the worst member of the team :wink:

I couldn't really find a good emoticon to convey my intent, which is that it's a funny background to be coming from when given metaphorical advice like that.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Sun May 08, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Well, football (US style) is too violent. Baseball doesn't work as it is divided into 9ths. Hockey into 3rds. Football (world style) into halves...

I was out of options with sports metaphors to work with. Basketball won by default.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Ortus
Fluffy
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:09 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ortus » Sun May 08, 2011 4:20 am UTC

So I made some money for gas doing backflips for a dollar each around town, but not many people were interested and I barely made enough for gas to get back to my house and to work on Monday... after work, more backflips to get home and back to work on Monday. Not eating dinner, mostly due to faulty planning (financially and with regard to why didn't I buy some more cheap ass food making ingredients when I had the chance).

Working a seasonal job, no matter how amazing, blows in the off-season when you aren't getting hired by anyone. Thankfully, said off-season is almost over and I'll be able to work full-time. Probably.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sun May 08, 2011 5:22 am UTC

More unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
How would your parents react if you mentioned wanting to find some new friends? If you talk about how you can't be open with your friends (and probably avoid mentioning the religious conflict), that could be a good start... Serious YMMV, though.

At least you have the fora?

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Link » Sun May 08, 2011 8:05 am UTC

fizzgig wrote:Is there perhaps an industry ombudsman that you can speak to about the company? If they're using equipment that doesn't meet standards then perhaps they can be made to replace them or something. (Yeah I've never had cable TV so I have no idea how it works in terms of who owns the various components and who would be responsible for them).

Maybe. The problem is, though, that the noisy component was installed before it went out of production, so they didn't willingly install a component they knew, or could have known, was faulty. I'm not even sure if compliance with that standard is mandatory anyway.

Eseell wrote:When it comes to CATV cables, it's usually the quality of the termination. Some people suck at putting ends on cable and it causes them to become sources of noise. There's no excuse for it from a professional cable installer, though. Cable TV companies should have higher standards than they do.
Funny you should mention that. I actually experienced a slight but noticeable improvement by wrapping the exposed part of the shield of the incoming cable in aluminium foil. If such a low-tech solution actually helps, I'm fairly certain that whoever installed the cable in the first place was doing a crappy job.

As for the difference between cheap and expensive cables, I keep on hearing that Hirschmann cables (the ones I'm looking to buy - at €0.89/m, they're actually quite cheap, incidentally) do noticeably outperform the generic no-brand type one might find at the hardware store.

What I've also found is that no-brand connectors and splitters are usually exceptionally crappy in quality. More often than not, they barely even fit together (to the point where if you use one end of a slitter, the connection is so loose that it just falls out, whereas the other end of the splitter won't even fit), and I've had several splitters and connectors actually break because I applied a tiny bit of force. The crappy products all use IEC 169-2 connectors, whereas Hirschmann products tend to use F connectors - the fact that those are screwed on instead of just plugged in will probably make a difference in signal quality on its own. Actually, Wikipedia even says that the IEC connectors are a significant source of signal distortion, particularly for digital signals.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby emceng » Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Yeah, really when people say it's a bad cable, they mean all the parts that make up the cable. The main copper conductor doesn't make much of a difference, at least at TV frequencies. The cable termination is a huge issue though, and if the shielding is done poorly it's easy to pick up additional noise.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Jave D » Mon May 09, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

Dur dur dur, the US fought Natives. Is, therefore ought, and I am proud of my white European conquerors for their heroic defense against the angry native barbarians, dur dur! At least I'm not a hypocrite, because you know, being a hypocrite is worse than being a genocide-supporting shit-for-brains, dur dur!

User avatar
T3CHN0CR4T
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:54 am UTC
Location: Your Cupboard

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Tue May 10, 2011 12:23 am UTC

Levi wrote:Teenage angst dump:
Spoiler:
So almost a year ago I deconverted from Christianity. This has really fucked with my relationships with literally everyone I know. School has taken up a lot of my time (despite the fact that I did a minimum of work and procrastinated the hell out of it, doing a number on my GPA in the process), and thus I haven't been able to go out and make new friends. I do not know, IRL, a single person who shares anything close to my beliefs. Well, I'll take that back: There are a few of my friends who, in practical terms, are fairly liberal Christians, but will take the fundamentalist position if questioned; I've also just remembered that one other kid deconverted two or three weeks ago. I can't believe I forgot about that. Unfortunately, we haven't really hit it off. Their views aren't a huge deal, though it is a little frustrating, partly because they're so resistant to doing/talking about fairly normal things because they think it's wrong. The problem is that I can't talk to them about how I've changed, or have philosophical/ideological conversations about things because I have to keep my atheism a secret. It's a pain in the ass, having to keep my mouth shut whenever I want to tell them I think they're wrong and maybe could we talk about it? There's no one to bitch about the annoying Christian policies and actions of my private Christian school, either. I feel like I can't be open with my friends. I feel like they don't know me, that we're not really friends but more acquaintances, that I'm an outsider infiltrating their organization but never able to become a part of it. There's a distance between myself and them. I've got all these feelings and ideas inside me that I just can't share with anyone. This isn't even all because of the religious differences--I think I've just got shitty friends. I don't know if it's me or if it's them, but they're not very interested in talking about anything more serious than video games. I'm not a big help; I don't bring up any of those topics for fear that I might alienate them. It's for me to make any more friends at the moment because A) I can't join any specifically nonreligious groups because of my parents, B) I suck at finding places to go, and C) I suck at making friends. I have literally not made a single friend since seventh grade. Largely, this is because I have had no new kids to become friends with since then, so there is some hope. I think I've been improving at social interaction, so we'll see how it goes when I eventually manage to meet some new people.

Then there's this teacher I've had since eighth grade. He's been a fairly large influence in my life. I used to look up to him, because he had what seemed at the time to be very rational opinions. And they were, if you were a Christian. He's very fundamentalist, so his positions actually fit with the Bible on occasion. Even afterwards, I still thought he was a good person and generally rational, despite his faulty premise. Well, that notion was destroyed a few weeks ago when he turned out to be a full-blown, unapologetic, sexist prick. I'd always known he wasn't particularly egalitarian, but I didn't think it was that bad. Aside from that, I've been noticing more and more that his political views are batshit crazy. -1 hero. At least I've got some new and improved ones now.

Now for the especially teenage parts of the angst: I really, really want a girlfriend. Largely this desire stems from my inability to be open and honest with anyone. I have this idea stuck in my head that I could be with a girlfriend. There's also a huge push from my hormones. I've never had a girlfriend, and I think I'm probably way off base with this, taking the wrong path to filling my social needs, but that isn't stopping me from wanting it. However, I doubt that I'll be able to find out, because the only girl I've considered dating wouldn't be a good fit. Now, you'll probably think I'm being too picky, but I think I can honestly say that I'm not. I do hardly anything outside of school, and it's only got a hundred students, so I have 50 potential dates, total, and all of them are devout Christians. There are two girls who go to my church. One of them I dislike (or at least I did in the past. I didn't interact with her much for a long time, but have a couple times more recently and she seems pretty ok now) and the other is the one I have a crush on. It's nuts, though. She's very outgoing and extroverted, and I love talking to her. I suppose we could get along. She ignores Christian values most of the time, but she has a very strong belief in them. The real trouble for me is that I have no idea if she likes me at all. We've been going to church together for as long as I can remember, so I'm firmly rooted in the "friend zone" if such a thing exists. I have no experience in this department. No idea what to do, how to read people, anything. It's terrible. As I've explained above, I don't even have friends to ask about it. Not only could asking destabilize what friendships I have, it wouldn't help anyways as none of them have had girlfriends either (fucking repressive Christian school/community). She came with me to prom; dunno what that means. I'm all kinds of confused and disoriented.

And for the final subject: Goddamn parents. I hate how much control they have over me. It's demeaning to have to ask permission for just about everything I do. Having to spend months convincing them to let me play fucking D&D is just ridiculous. They get involved in my business and I have to do a lot of conniving to get/keep them out of it. My mom managed to capture me in the car during a drive in order to make sure that I wasn't planning on fucking anyone because I had invited someone to prom (I think I've mentioned this before, but whatever, I'm pissed enough to rant about it again). After half an hour of dodging questions, I finally gave up and just lied through my teeth. I'm not planning on it anytime soon, but if she knew what I thought I wouldn't have been allowed to go to prom and probably been kicked off the internet too. I would love to be able to tell them what I really think, but it wouldn't help. Because of our differences (not entirely; I've never been that close to them), I don't care too much about my parents. I'll be glad to be rid of them. I'm tired of dealing with religious asshats who have a huge amount of control over me and are more than willing to use it to keep me to their standards. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder all the time to be sure that they're not watching me. I'm tired of hiding my morals and my beliefs. I'm tired of worrying that they'll discover what I'm doing, of not doing what I want and what is perfectly fine (like playing D&D or joining my local SSA group) because of the way they would react. I'm tired of being dragged to worship a being that doesn't exist every Sunday. I'm fucking tired of it. The next year cannot pass too quickly.

In addition to the oppression at home, there's the school teachers and administrators who push the most fundamentalist bullshit on us every day. Chapel was yesterday. We were told to sit and pray for the last ten minutes because they ran out of stuff to talk about. Luckily I was able to steer my group into shooting the breeze instead of praying, but for the last five minutes we were required to pray silently because apparently ours was not the only group uninterested in prayer. It wasn't a big deal, but it was just so useless. A hundred people spending five minutes doing nothing but wishing really hard. Group prayer more than anything else has become really surreal since I deconverted.

I will (hopefully) be going to a public school next year, so that should solve problems 1-3 and 5, but I'll still have to deal with problem #4 for at least a year, possible three, after that. I'm not sure that I'll be able to do it, but I will be giving it my best shot. #4 might still be a problem after graduation because I won't be moving out of state for college. The one I plan to go to for my undergraduate degree is only an hour away from my house. I hope to live in the dorms there, but even then there will still be interference from my parents. Whee, so there's everything I've wanted to talk about for the past few months, posted on the internet. Not quite as good as telling people in meatspace, but I feel a little bit better now.

Woo, pagetopper :|


I've basically had the same experience throughout my life. Had very few friends throughout primary school and most of highschool, as in 1 or 2 max and even then, as you say, you can't relate to them and you don't have that emotional connection that allows you talk about very emotional things, like they're your brother. Then in grade 12 I managed to form a little group of about 5 or 6 guys at school, 2 of them really good mates and the rest just normal friends, plus a I managed to get to know a few of my outside-school friends a bit better, but then I ended up having a terrible year in one aspect because I was sick all year and ended up having brain surgery in September. Everything turned out alright in the end though and the bullying I had put up with all through school stopped by grade 12 except for the occassional prank form other idiots in my grade. I even had my first girlfriend a month after school finished, as I had always hated the whole immature school relationships that never amount to anything or last longer than a week or 2, but that turned out to just be me getting used for 3 months and then rejected without reason, by txt. (Sidenote: I felt alienated in my school because all the other guys were either jocks or immature little kids and I always tried to make friends with older people and now apart form my group from school I'm hanging out with some mates form my old job that are in there 20s and around 4 or 5 years older than me)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that things got better for me after school - I now have a great group of friends, I'm loving studying at university (although I'm still stuck with a bunch of immature, unintelligent morons) and I shouldn't need any more surgery for at least 15 - 20 years. Only thing that hasn't worked out for me is my relationship and, although I feel really lonely at the moment, I'm sure I'll find someone soon enough.

So buck up, ignore the religious nuts that are too ignorant to even hear ot your beliefs and just automatically dismiss them and things will get better, eventually :D
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Levi » Tue May 10, 2011 1:52 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Well, football (US style) is too violent. Baseball doesn't work as it is divided into 9ths. Hockey into 3rds. Football (world style) into halves...

I was out of options with sports metaphors to work with. Basketball won by default.

No complaints; just explaining how hilarious a setup for a sitcom joke that would be, in the hands of a better writer than I.

Magnanimous wrote:More unsolicited advice:
How would your parents react if you mentioned wanting to find some new friends? If you talk about how you can't be open with your friends (and probably avoid mentioning the religious conflict), that could be a good start... Serious YMMV, though.

At least you have the fora?

I doubt it would help much. My mom's already getting on my case about religious studies now that I'm not going to be taking the mandatory Bible course next year, so they'd probably suggest youth group or something. But that's beside the point--the real reason I don't want to tell them is that I'm not comfortable sharing anything about myself with them. It's not really them (my parents is good people), but I don't feel comforted by them, instead a bit uneasy, maybe a little annoyed. Whenever they learn something about my personal life, I cringe. They've never done anything to deserve that, so I suppose it's because I feel like they are strangers and that they're loose cannons in terms of what they might think about it and subsequently demand of me.

If you were speaking in terms of solving my inability to relate to the friends I have, that also is a dead end. I know why and I know that it's not going to change soon. The religious differences are hugely important to me, way more so than they ought to be, but it's not something I can change overnight. I'm trying, but I was so involved in it that the sudden reversal has caused a lot of resentment in me, plus I have a pretty big fear of being found out before I leave home. Sorry to be so negative about your advice. I'm grateful that you care enough to offer it and I'm glad you did.

Don't worry about it, though. I'm already taking action to enlarge my pool of possible friends and find some that I can be comfortable around. If I'm not stymied, I'll be making first impressions Wednesday night.

T3CHN0CR4T wrote:I've basically had the same experience throughout my life. Had very few friends throughout primary school and most of highschool, as in 1 or 2 max and even then, as you say, you can't relate to them and you don't have that emotional connection that allows you talk about very emotional things, like they're your brother. Then in grade 12 I managed to form a little group of about 5 or 6 guys at school, 2 of them really good mates and the rest just normal friends, plus a I managed to get to know a few of my outside-school friends a bit better, but then I ended up having a terrible year in one aspect because I was sick all year and ended up having brain surgery in September. Everything turned out alright in the end though and the bullying I had put up with all through school stopped by grade 12 except for the occasional prank form other idiots in my grade. I even had my first girlfriend a month after school finished, as I had always hated the whole immature school relationships that never amount to anything or last longer than a week or 2, but that turned out to just be me getting used for 3 months and then rejected without reason, by txt. (Sidenote: I felt alienated in my school because all the other guys were either jocks or immature little kids and I always tried to make friends with older people and now apart form my group from school I'm hanging out with some mates form my old job that are in there 20s and around 4 or 5 years older than me)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that things got better for me after school - I now have a great group of friends, I'm loving studying at university (although I'm still stuck with a bunch of immature, unintelligent morons) and I shouldn't need any more surgery for at least 15 - 20 years. Only thing that hasn't worked out for me is my relationship and, although I feel really lonely at the moment, I'm sure I'll find someone soon enough.

So buck up, ignore the religious nuts that are too ignorant to even hear of your beliefs and just automatically dismiss them and things will get better, eventually :D

Hooray for solidarity :D

User avatar
T3CHN0CR4T
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:54 am UTC
Location: Your Cupboard

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Tue May 10, 2011 4:02 am UTC

Levi wrote:Hooray for solidarity :D


:D I'm really starting to like the fora. I always thought when I got to university that I'd finally get the intelligent conversation I had so desired throughout my schooling but, as it turns out, they're mostly unintelligent people in my course and I find myself once again longing for intelligent companionship - besides a couple of close friends I already have that is.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:16 am UTC

Grr, there needs to be more hours in the day. I want to watch a movie, but it's 2am and I have another AP test tomorrow.

Tangentially related, I hate that I'm the only senior at my school who doesn't know their plans for next year. I'm not even sure of which country I'm going to. I'm kind of leaning towards going to school in England for probably stupid reasons, even though I'm not sure my options there are actually better. And I don't know who to talk to to figure it out. For various reasons, I can't or don't want to discuss it with my uni counselor, my parents, and most if not all of my friends. I suppose there's always the fora. Will probably wind up making a thread at some point.

And now that I've thought about that I am just done with the world for now. Goodnight.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Von Haus
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm UTC
Location: Probably somewhere he shouldn't be...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Von Haus » Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 am UTC

Dear creationist person who says the banana is proof against evolution as it is so suited to man. Explain the pineapple.
(I am currently a giant ball of stickyness and the damn thing has managed to blunt my knife, it's sooooo nice though.)
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 10, 2011 11:27 am UTC

Von Haus wrote:Dear creationist person who says the banana is proof against evolution as it is so suited to man. Explain the pineapple.
(I am currently a giant ball of stickyness and the damn thing has managed to blunt my knife, it's sooooo nice though.)
They don't have to explain the pineapple. They have to explain the banana.
Point out that several thousand years years ago, the modern yellow banana did not exist.. he'll, none of them did.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Von Haus
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm UTC
Location: Probably somewhere he shouldn't be...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Von Haus » Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Von Haus wrote:Dear creationist person who says the banana is proof against evolution as it is so suited to man. Explain the pineapple.
(I am currently a giant ball of stickyness and the damn thing has managed to blunt my knife, it's sooooo nice though.)
They don't have to explain the pineapple. They have to explain the banana.
Point out that several thousand years years ago, the modern yellow banana did not exist.. he'll, none of them did.

That is a good point actually, that the banana is in fact a very good example of evolution, and for the record that's the point I usually make on the issue myself. :P I was more ranting at pineapples for being so inconvenient than for creationists for being so [insert word of choice here].
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

User avatar
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue May 10, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

Rant: goddamnit Dobblesworth why is your mind so dirty?

I've just been contemplating that banana/evolution/intelligent design conundrum on the basis of it being shaped just right for it to be a surrogate penis.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Rant: goddamnit Dobblesworth why is your mind so dirty?

I've just been contemplating that banana/evolution/intelligent design conundrum on the basis of it being shaped just right for it to be a surrogate penis.

Cucumber.

It even has a hidden tee hee in it.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Sandry
My cheese is pants?
Posts: 1894
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:36 am UTC
Location: Boston area
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Sandry » Tue May 10, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Self, why were you so stupid? Point 1: The cafeteria downstairs is terrible. Point 2: Many, many people fuck up cooking eggplant. Given that you know these two points, why did you even try the eggplant parmesan from the cafeteria downstairs?
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

FATHERFUCKING CROSSEYED BIPLANE....

Listening to songs that I used to love to play sucks, and what do my workmates put on? ....GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kang » Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

Do you know the kind of days that just suck for no reason at all? Yea, one of those.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby felltir » Tue May 10, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Dobblesworth wrote:Rant: goddamnit Dobblesworth why is your mind so dirty?

I've just been contemplating that banana/evolution/intelligent design conundrum on the basis of it being shaped just right for it to be a surrogate penis.

Cucumber.

It even has a hidden tee hee in it.


Personally I don't find Umber a sexual colour, but each to their own.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Spoiler:
You know what I want you to do? I want you to go upstairs to that
Apartment where that guy keeps playing that Barry Manilow record
"Copacabana" over and over and over again. I want you to ring the
Doorbell, and when he answers the door, I want you to stab him in the neck
With a Number 2 pencil over and over and over again because he must pay!
Chop him up and put him in the freezer and as you leave the apartment,
Light the place on fire!



Spoiler:
With the lemons!
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Midnight » Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

I have an incredibly contemptuous disdain for people who end up defining themselves by one thing.

Let me show you a discussion by some people on The Book of Face:
Spoiler:
Image



edit: whoops, it doesn't show Ezekiel's full, beautiful comment:
Ezekiel wrote:The word DINOSAUR means Big Lizard....and theres a part i think its in JOB wen it mentions the tale of a creature being as thick as an oak tree....in fact ther is a anthropalogist that is christian and he has a theory that we the lizards and the birds that are here with us now are the dinosaurs that use to be back in the day...
Remember how humans back in the day use to live for hundreds and hundreds of years..well now jus imagine how big and different a alligator or a lizard living for 600yrs....the bible do mention dinosaurs various times, but it doesnt use the word dinosaur...

15 hours ago · Like · 1 person




I mean, I guess I shouldn't've blown up like that, but then I remember "Oh wait, I'll never be able to teach you otherwise, cause obviously you're a gigantic asshole, and thick headed enough to hate on biology whilst talking about a christian anthropologist who believes in the THEORY OF EVOLUTION.
"Also, you think humans used to live for hundreds of years, so, uh, get the fuck out."
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby podbaydoor » Tue May 10, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

I've hidden all the religious ranters (and the ones who do nothing but quote scripture and obnoxiously aim it at non-religious folk like it's supposed to mean something) from my newsfeed, so my day is quite unspoiled by conversations like those. People who make sexist or racist remarks also get hidden if they do it too much.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I've hidden all the religious ranters (and the ones who do nothing but quote scripture and obnoxiously aim it at non-religious folk like it's supposed to mean something) from my newsfeed, so my day is quite unspoiled by conversations like those. People who make sexist or racist remarks also get hidden if they do it too much.

This is true. She totally hid me because I was quoting my Lunarian scripture.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Midnight » Tue May 10, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I've hidden all the religious ranters (and the ones who do nothing but quote scripture and obnoxiously aim it at non-religious folk like it's supposed to mean something) from my newsfeed, so my day is quite unspoiled by conversations like those. People who make sexist or racist remarks also get hidden if they do it too much.

The latter two I just delete.
The other people, though... I try not to say anything; shutting the whole conversation down was the best I could do. Seriously, what would some people BE if I took their religion from them? Why does it define EVERYTHING about you? Why allow anything to define you like that? I get pissed at my fellow music majors when all they talk about is jazz standards and how hard they practiced yesterday. Watch a goddamn movie or some shit.

Or there's the dude who's "Favorite books" are
1 - 'lol who reads books'
2 - 'Bible'
3 - 'The Holy Bible'


FUUUUUUUUUUU-
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Viae
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm UTC
Location: Albion

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Viae » Tue May 10, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Well, football (US style) is too violent. Baseball doesn't work as it is divided into 9ths. Hockey into 3rds. Football (world style) into halves...

I was out of options with sports metaphors to work with. Basketball won by default.

It's the end of the first day in the test match, with the batting side having posted a fairly good total but you know that as the wicket wears your spinners be all over them?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

Viae wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:Well, football (US style) is too violent. Baseball doesn't work as it is divided into 9ths. Hockey into 3rds. Football (world style) into halves...

I was out of options with sports metaphors to work with. Basketball won by default.

It's the end of the first day in the test match, with the batting side having posted a fairly good total but you know that as the wicket wears your spinners be all over them?

That would rely on a USian knowing cricket.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Viae
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm UTC
Location: Albion

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Viae » Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

In the same way that the sleeping bear hopes for the end of the cruel winter and the bright dawn of a new spring, I too hope that one day such a being will appear.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Viae wrote:In the same way that the sleeping bear hopes for the end of the cruel winter and the bright dawn of a new spring, I too hope that one day such a being will appear.

Yeah, because this USian totally didn't understand your statement enough to know that it was cricket.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Viae
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm UTC
Location: Albion

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Viae » Tue May 10, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Viae wrote:In the same way that the sleeping bear hopes for the end of the cruel winter and the bright dawn of a new spring, I too hope that one day such a being will appear.

Yeah, because this USian totally didn't understand your statement enough to know that it was cricket.

And therefore, continuing the metaphor I have awoken and am now feasting on berries. Or something.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Viae wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:
Viae wrote:In the same way that the sleeping bear hopes for the end of the cruel winter and the bright dawn of a new spring, I too hope that one day such a being will appear.

Yeah, because this USian totally didn't understand your statement enough to know that it was cricket.

And therefore, continuing the metaphor I have awoken and am now feasting on berries. Or something.

Fucking berries, how do they work?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby broken_escalator » Tue May 10, 2011 7:29 pm UTC

I hear they are berry delicious.

User avatar
SamaraLexx
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:29 am UTC
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SamaraLexx » Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

No faaaaair. It's Nurses' Week at my hospital and they have an awesome spread down in the cafeteria for them, with lots and lots of awesome looking desserts. The nurses have offered to smuggle me something, but I'm trying to behave. I'm just gonna press my face up against the glass and drool.

User avatar
TheValmont
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TheValmont » Tue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

There should be a comic everyday during finals week. "Not everyone's finals are the same week Valmont". Perfect :P

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Torvaun » Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Viae wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:Well, football (US style) is too violent. Baseball doesn't work as it is divided into 9ths. Hockey into 3rds. Football (world style) into halves...

I was out of options with sports metaphors to work with. Basketball won by default.

It's the end of the first day in the test match, with the batting side having posted a fairly good total but you know that as the wicket wears your spinners be all over them?

That would rely on a USian knowing cricket.

You have to know what a crumpet is before you can understand cricket!
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ptolom » Tue May 10, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Fuck off ocd spike, and give me back control of my muscles. Tics are starting to make my shoulder ache.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:Or there's the dude whose "Favorite books" are
1 - 'lol who reads books'
2 - 'Bible'
3 - 'The Holy Bible'

FTFY. Sorry, just found it ironic that you made a grammar mistake while criticizing someone's list of favourite books. :lol:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

dr_vektor
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:59 am UTC
Location: Ur-anus

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby dr_vektor » Wed May 11, 2011 3:13 am UTC

I still want to kill my mother. This is probably not normal.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Midnight » Wed May 11, 2011 3:38 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Midnight wrote:Or there's the dude whose "Favorite books" are
1 - 'lol who reads books'
2 - 'Bible'
3 - 'The Holy Bible'

FTFY. Sorry, just found it ironic that you made a grammar mistake while criticizing someone's list of favourite books. :lol:

dammit, irony. Your killing my jive, turkey.





funny story: I was attempting to write "Your" but I typed "You're"... so I deleted it... and typed "You're" again. That's right folks, that shit took three tries.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
llamanaru
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby llamanaru » Wed May 11, 2011 3:43 am UTC

Now you're just being ironic on purpose?


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests