Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Vapour » Fri May 06, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Ooh, I like the sound of that equation.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby roband » Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Excellent Smithers.


From anyone else on this forum, I might find that condescending.

In your case, I'll just ask you to post some more content in the story thread! :)

User avatar
SamaraLexx
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:29 am UTC
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SamaraLexx » Fri May 06, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:If she can run to your boss, you can also go to your boss and explain this issue, right? Some mediation for this interpersonnel problem might not be amiss.


I've spoken to my boss about it in the past and she was understanding about it but didn't seem too eager to step in. Probably because this isn't a HUGE deal and not interfering with anyone's work, it's just two people who don't really mesh well.

In her defense, I haven't fully expressed how much the co-worker bothers me, because I feel completely guilty for not liking her. I feel like a bad person or something, even though the entire office feels the same way, to the point where they all let me borrow their desks/offices just so I can get away from her for a little while each day.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby broken_escalator » Fri May 06, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

that sounds like a hostile work environment :?

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

If you're so irritated by your coworker that you are actively hiding and taking up other people's spaces (even with their permission), then it IS a problem that is interfering with work. It's part of your boss's job to manage that kind of thing.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Fri May 06, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

You. Yes, you. Stop that shit.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Torvaun » Fri May 06, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

Why am I not allowed to set people on fire for being horrible human beings? I could even deal with a non-damaging fire. Just wreathe them in flames that never go out, and do nothing but show the world that this person was a big enough jerk that someone felt they needed to be set on fire. We could call it Doucheflame TM.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby emceng » Fri May 06, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Dammit. Today is the first day that really feels spring-like. Sunny, gorgeous, bird singing and just nice out. I am stuck in the office. I could leave early today. But not really. I have to wait for a shipment to show up, that I thought would be here hours ago. I need to unpack that stuff, then sort it out, and pack stuff for my 11 hour drive on Sunday. Plus, since my boss knew I was going to be out of the office next week, he dumped some projects on me. He needed them done today, so they don't slip for a week. Great. One of them shouldn't even be my fucking responsibility. I don't know shit about the equipment, and it wasn't my fault it blew up. Why is it now my job to find a replacement?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby felltir » Fri May 06, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

Dislocated my motherfucking shoulder while benchpressing 100kg.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Fri May 06, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Dislocated my motherfucking shoulder while benchpressing 100kg.

Your shoulder fucks mothers?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Dason
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 am UTC
Location: ~/

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Dason » Fri May 06, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:Why am I not allowed to set people on fire for being horrible human beings? I could even deal with a non-damaging fire. Just wreathe them in flames that never go out, and do nothing but show the world that this person was a big enough jerk that someone felt they needed to be set on fire. We could call it Doucheflame TM.

Cause then almost everybody would be on fire almost all of the time.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri May 06, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Felltir wrote:Dislocated my motherfucking shoulder while benchpressing 100kg.

Your shoulder fucks mothers?

Ehhhh... it needs work. Could be better.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

blue_eyedspacemonkey
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

I would actually pay someone to get rid of my ankles for me right now (it would make my life awkward but probably less painful in the long run?).

Also: my job would be so much better without customers.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby felltir » Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I would actually pay someone to get rid of my ankles for me right now (it would make my life awkward but probably less painful in the long run?).

Also: my job would be so much better without customers.


I will do that job.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

blue_eyedspacemonkey
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I would actually pay someone to get rid of my ankles for me right now (it would make my life awkward but probably less painful in the long run?).

Also: my job would be so much better without customers.


I will do that job.
Brilliant. I'll bring the alcohol, you bring your weapon of choice?
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby felltir » Fri May 06, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:
Felltir wrote:
blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I would actually pay someone to get rid of my ankles for me right now (it would make my life awkward but probably less painful in the long run?).

Also: my job would be so much better without customers.


I will do that job.
Brilliant. I'll bring the alcohol, you bring your weapon of choice?


*cocks his rifle* You can drink, I've got the shot.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

blue_eyedspacemonkey
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

*badum tish*
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Felltir wrote:Dislocated my motherfucking shoulder while benchpressing 100kg.

Your shoulder fucks mothers?

Not anymore, it doesn't.

User avatar
ExplodingHat
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:15 am UTC
Location: Land of Smog and Sunsets

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby ExplodingHat » Fri May 06, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

Individuals at sufficiently excessive levels of "drunk" and "high" should not be allowed near a stove. :|
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Adacore » Sat May 07, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Well, the UK elections/referendum went pretty much as expected, sadly. I'm so very angry. :evil:

The Tories and their No campaign basically ran with the idea that if they could just defeat electoral reform now it would kill it for the next few decades. Even though they (at least, a fair majority of Tory MPs) blatantly believe it is ideologically a better system. So the NO campaign published almost nothing but blatant lies and somehow people bought it. RARGH. I think the issue was probably tarnished by being connected with the Lib Dems, but THAT'S NOT WHAT IT'S ABOUT. Either way, the Tories have played this last year beautifully, politically - somehow they've managed to blame all of their hideously unpopular policies on the Lib Dems, rush through an electoral reform referendum to ensure they don't lose their stranglehold on power (which they shouldn't have), and come out of it without losing any ground politically. It beggars belief. When I go back to the UK in a few years I might start taking a more active role in Lib Dem politics, but they're tearing themselves apart right now.

And the worst thing here is that we need the economy to tank so the Tories get slaughtered at the next election, but if that happens then Obama will likely lose in the US elections, which is just as bad. :?

GAH. AV was so much better than first past the post. Couldn't we rise above party politics? This was important dammit. :(

Mumpy
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mumpy » Sat May 07, 2011 12:57 am UTC

The lib dems being around in a couple of years might be a tad optimistic.

I for one, want them gone. Aside from the 15 Mp's who didn't vote to prop us the Tories, they sold out. Such mass capitulation and blatant power bauble grabbing as a party needs to have a result. I had agreed with a certain number of their more progressive policies, and I think that some of those 15 are pretty good (as politicians go) but at the moment every kick they get, I cheer.

Although to be fair, that concern is completely secondary compared to the Tories. Who have bloody lied their way into the result they needed. I sent off my postal vote too late (But would have voted Pro-AV) and I was feeling down about that. Guess I don't need to anymore, Huh?

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat May 07, 2011 4:00 am UTC

Motherfucker, does my toe hurt. Little toe on the left foot. It's been hot, so I've been Walking Around Barefoot (not recommended). I hit it on the coffee table while standing up from the couch on Monday. Bent it away from the other toes. Hit it again last night, same motion. Then tonight, being a spaz and doing a Silly Walk, I stubbed it... on the back of my other foot. Now it is totally pointing the wrong way, hurts more than it has all week, ice didn't help, and there's no way I can walk normally. I'm an idiot.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Amarantha » Sat May 07, 2011 5:10 am UTC

For all its much-needed improvements over the years, MS Office is still a shitty, shitty product. Fuck you, Word. Fuck you, Excel. Fuck you for putting links between documents that break when the documents are copied to another drive. Fuck you for not letting me manually change the setting that's looking for the link. Fuck you for just ignoring my formatting, and not telling me what un-requested piece of auto-formatting is presumably breaking it. Fuck you for randomly and permanently changing my text/data when I'm just looking in a menu at what changes are possible. Fuck you for ignoring my ctrl-Z when I try to fix your unwanted changes. Fuck you for your useless Help topics that tell me to do what I've already tried, that hasn't worked. Fuck. You. So very, very much.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Sat May 07, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

I may have been unplanned, but you were the fucking mistake
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Link » Sat May 07, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

Rant: we have cable TV, and for as long as I can remember, the signal quality has been shit. The cable company (the only one in my area, AFAIK) is, in essence, a massive doucheducken - a bunch of douchenozzles stuffed in a douchebag, stuffed in a douchetruck. Moreover, they're epically unhelpful, to the point where they simply didn't even reply to an email I sent them. Now that we've had digital TV for a while, the bad signal is even more noticeable than in the analogue days: many channels have a sort of "stutter", where reception drops out completely for a second or so, then comes back for a few seconds, and then drops out again. Even when connected as directly as possible to where the cable enters the house - using nothing but a very short cable - the DTV set-top box shows an absolute maximum signal strength of 56%; this drops to 51% when some generally necessary components (a "cable modem optimiser", providing the connector for, as the name suggests, the cable modem; a splitter to the other TVs in the house; and a longer bit of cable to where the set-top box normally is) are added in between.

So anyway, with the cable company being crud, I've decided to do some research into how I could fix it myself, and what I've found is that the best option would be to rip out their low-quality, non-amplified (!) parts, and replace them with high-quality ones (made by Hirschmann, mostly), including a proper amplifier. So, the good news: there actually is something I can do about it. The bad news: it would cost on the order of €200 to do it. That's a bloody huge amount, and if we really didn't have any TV to begin with, we'd probably have scraped that together, but the case now is that we have a barely passable signal slash Labradoodle, and there aren't any guarantees that throwing €200 at it would actually make it any better. So in other words, it looks like I'm stuck with this horrible signal quality.

One alternative but more affordable (around €32) possibility is to not buy an amplifier, and only replace the cables and splitter with high-quality ones - but there's no way to know if it's going to help without actually buying those things, and if it doesn't work, it's €32 down the drain (which is still a lot less than €200 if that doesn't work, but the €200 solution has a much better chance of working).

So, basically, everything is shite, and the cable company can go fuck itself with a rake.

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Eseell » Sat May 07, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Introducing an amplifier into a high noise cable plant can make things worse. It would increase the amplitude of the usable signal, but it also would increase the amplitude of any noise on the line. It could make the noise floor so high that you don't get any usable signal at all. The only good long-term solution is to isolate the source of the noise and eliminate it. If your cable company is really as shit at wiring as you say they are then it could be any number of things and you really can't tell without a spectrum analyzer. There are a number of noise sources that can be eliminated by replacing sub-standard wiring (noise ingress and common path distortion especially), but if the noise is mostly coming from the plant beyond your tap then you're pretty much screwed on that front, too. Sorry.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat May 07, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Yes, you are most likely fooked.

rant: a few women I encounter drop a considerable number of hints that they are not attracted to me, despite me not feeling nor showing any interest. Is it an ego thing?

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Link » Sat May 07, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:Introducing an amplifier into a high noise cable plant can make things worse. It would increase the amplitude of the usable signal, but it also would increase the amplitude of any noise on the line. It could make the noise floor so high that you don't get any usable signal at all. The only good long-term solution is to isolate the source of the noise and eliminate it. If your cable company is really as shit at wiring as you say they are then it could be any number of things and you really can't tell without a spectrum analyzer. There are a number of noise sources that can be eliminated by replacing sub-standard wiring (noise ingress and common path distortion especially), but if the noise is mostly coming from the plant beyond your tap then you're pretty much screwed on that front, too. Sorry.

I'm aware of that, but the situation at this point is that the signal is just about acceptable where it enters the house, but then loses a lot of its strength due to dampening effects in every component along the chain (el-cheapo cables and connectors are a big problem). The terminal box thingy that connects to the "public" end of the cable (I don't know what it's called in English because I've been looking at Dutch sites for my info) that the cable company installed is actually a model that went out of production in 2003 because it picked up too much noise to comply with some standards. Obviously it would be one of the things I'd be replacing if I went with the expensive set-up.

The only other thing I could do is actually get the cable company to take a look at it, but knowing them, there's a huge chance they'll say it's just a problem on our end and charge us €100 for the time they spent looking at it.

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Levi » Sat May 07, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Link wrote:
Eseell wrote:Introducing an amplifier into a high noise cable plant can make things worse. It would increase the amplitude of the usable signal, but it also would increase the amplitude of any noise on the line. It could make the noise floor so high that you don't get any usable signal at all. The only good long-term solution is to isolate the source of the noise and eliminate it. If your cable company is really as shit at wiring as you say they are then it could be any number of things and you really can't tell without a spectrum analyzer. There are a number of noise sources that can be eliminated by replacing sub-standard wiring (noise ingress and common path distortion especially), but if the noise is mostly coming from the plant beyond your tap then you're pretty much screwed on that front, too. Sorry.

I'm aware of that, but the situation at this point is that the signal is just about acceptable where it enters the house, but then loses a lot of its strength due to dampening effects in every component along the chain (el-cheapo cables and connectors are a big problem). The terminal box thingy that connects to the "public" end of the cable (I don't know what it's called in English because I've been looking at Dutch sites for my info) that the cable company installed is actually a model that went out of production in 2003 because it picked up too much noise to comply with some standards. Obviously it would be one of the things I'd be replacing if I went with the expensive set-up.

The only other thing I could do is actually get the cable company to take a look at it, but knowing them, there's a huge chance they'll say it's just a problem on our end and charge us €100 for the time they spent looking at it.

What, exactly, is the difference between a high-end and low-end cable? I'm not an expert here, but it's just some wires.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Xeio » Sat May 07, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

If by low-end cable you mean really bad, usually adequate shielding. But there is no practical difference between normal (not-sucky) cables and the "high quality" ones.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat May 07, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Levi wrote:What, exactly, is the difference between a high-end and low-end cable? I'm not an expert here, but it's just some wires.


High-end cables cost more.

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Eseell » Sat May 07, 2011 10:18 pm UTC

When it comes to CATV cables, it's usually the quality of the termination. Some people suck at putting ends on cable and it causes them to become sources of noise. There's no excuse for it from a professional cable installer, though. Cable TV companies should have higher standards than they do.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Dason
Posts: 1311
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 am UTC
Location: ~/

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Dason » Sat May 07, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

Dear cat,

The next time I find that you pissed on something I will strap you down and piss in your eye.

Sincerely,
Man who wouldn't follow through on that threat.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat May 07, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ptolom » Sun May 08, 2011 12:27 am UTC

The clicker's broken on my Thinkpad. First it wouldn't click so I took it off. Now it clicks but the damn button's loose. There's some kind of metal bar thing that I don't understand the purpose of.

User avatar
fizzgig
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 am UTC
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby fizzgig » Sun May 08, 2011 12:37 am UTC

Link wrote:
Eseell wrote:Introducing an amplifier into a high noise cable plant can make things worse. It would increase the amplitude of the usable signal, but it also would increase the amplitude of any noise on the line. It could make the noise floor so high that you don't get any usable signal at all. The only good long-term solution is to isolate the source of the noise and eliminate it. If your cable company is really as shit at wiring as you say they are then it could be any number of things and you really can't tell without a spectrum analyzer. There are a number of noise sources that can be eliminated by replacing sub-standard wiring (noise ingress and common path distortion especially), but if the noise is mostly coming from the plant beyond your tap then you're pretty much screwed on that front, too. Sorry.

I'm aware of that, but the situation at this point is that the signal is just about acceptable where it enters the house, but then loses a lot of its strength due to dampening effects in every component along the chain (el-cheapo cables and connectors are a big problem). The terminal box thingy that connects to the "public" end of the cable (I don't know what it's called in English because I've been looking at Dutch sites for my info) that the cable company installed is actually a model that went out of production in 2003 because it picked up too much noise to comply with some standards. Obviously it would be one of the things I'd be replacing if I went with the expensive set-up.

The only other thing I could do is actually get the cable company to take a look at it, but knowing them, there's a huge chance they'll say it's just a problem on our end and charge us €100 for the time they spent looking at it.


Is there perhaps an industry ombudsman that you can speak to about the company? If they're using equipment that doesn't meet standards then perhaps they can be made to replace them or something. (Yeah I've never had cable TV so I have no idea how it works in terms of who owns the various components and who would be responsible for them).

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Sun May 08, 2011 12:59 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:A relevant video!

That... is... awesome...

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Sun May 08, 2011 2:58 am UTC

Spoiler:
You know what I want you to do? I want you to go upstairs to that
Apartment where that guy keeps playing that Barry Manilow record
"Copacabana" over and over and over again. I want you to ring the
Doorbell, and when he answers the door, I want you to stab him in the neck
With a Number 2 pencil over and over and over again because he must pay!
Chop him up and put him in the freezer and as you leave the apartment,
Light the place on fire!
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Levi » Sun May 08, 2011 3:51 am UTC

Teenage angst dump:
Spoiler:
So almost a year ago I deconverted from Christianity. This has really fucked with my relationships with literally everyone I know. School has taken up a lot of my time (despite the fact that I did a minimum of work and procrastinated the hell out of it, doing a number on my GPA in the process), and thus I haven't been able to go out and make new friends. I do not know, IRL, a single person who shares anything close to my beliefs. Well, I'll take that back: There are a few of my friends who, in practical terms, are fairly liberal Christians, but will take the fundamentalist position if questioned; I've also just remembered that one other kid deconverted two or three weeks ago. I can't believe I forgot about that. Unfortunately, we haven't really hit it off. Their views aren't a huge deal, though it is a little frustrating, partly because they're so resistant to doing/talking about fairly normal things because they think it's wrong. The problem is that I can't talk to them about how I've changed, or have philosophical/ideological conversations about things because I have to keep my atheism a secret. It's a pain in the ass, having to keep my mouth shut whenever I want to tell them I think they're wrong and maybe could we talk about it? There's no one to bitch about the annoying Christian policies and actions of my private Christian school, either. I feel like I can't be open with my friends. I feel like they don't know me, that we're not really friends but more acquaintances, that I'm an outsider infiltrating their organization but never able to become a part of it. There's a distance between myself and them. I've got all these feelings and ideas inside me that I just can't share with anyone. This isn't even all because of the religious differences--I think I've just got shitty friends. I don't know if it's me or if it's them, but they're not very interested in talking about anything more serious than video games. I'm not a big help; I don't bring up any of those topics for fear that I might alienate them. It's for me to make any more friends at the moment because A) I can't join any specifically nonreligious groups because of my parents, B) I suck at finding places to go, and C) I suck at making friends. I have literally not made a single friend since seventh grade. Largely, this is because I have had no new kids to become friends with since then, so there is some hope. I think I've been improving at social interaction, so we'll see how it goes when I eventually manage to meet some new people.

Then there's this teacher I've had since eighth grade. He's been a fairly large influence in my life. I used to look up to him, because he had what seemed at the time to be very rational opinions. And they were, if you were a Christian. He's very fundamentalist, so his positions actually fit with the Bible on occasion. Even afterwards, I still thought he was a good person and generally rational, despite his faulty premise. Well, that notion was destroyed a few weeks ago when he turned out to be a full-blown, unapologetic, sexist prick. I'd always known he wasn't particularly egalitarian, but I didn't think it was that bad. Aside from that, I've been noticing more and more that his political views are batshit crazy. -1 hero. At least I've got some new and improved ones now.

Now for the especially teenage parts of the angst: I really, really want a girlfriend. Largely this desire stems from my inability to be open and honest with anyone. I have this idea stuck in my head that I could be with a girlfriend. There's also a huge push from my hormones. I've never had a girlfriend, and I think I'm probably way off base with this, taking the wrong path to filling my social needs, but that isn't stopping me from wanting it. However, I doubt that I'll be able to find out, because the only girl I've considered dating wouldn't be a good fit. Now, you'll probably think I'm being too picky, but I think I can honestly say that I'm not. I do hardly anything outside of school, and it's only got a hundred students, so I have 50 potential dates, total, and all of them are devout Christians. There are two girls who go to my church. One of them I dislike (or at least I did in the past. I didn't interact with her much for a long time, but have a couple times more recently and she seems pretty ok now) and the other is the one I have a crush on. It's nuts, though. She's very outgoing and extroverted, and I love talking to her. I suppose we could get along. She ignores Christian values most of the time, but she has a very strong belief in them. The real trouble for me is that I have no idea if she likes me at all. We've been going to church together for as long as I can remember, so I'm firmly rooted in the "friend zone" if such a thing exists. I have no experience in this department. No idea what to do, how to read people, anything. It's terrible. As I've explained above, I don't even have friends to ask about it. Not only could asking destabilize what friendships I have, it wouldn't help anyways as none of them have had girlfriends either (fucking repressive Christian school/community). She came with me to prom; dunno what that means. I'm all kinds of confused and disoriented.

And for the final subject: Goddamn parents. I hate how much control they have over me. It's demeaning to have to ask permission for just about everything I do. Having to spend months convincing them to let me play fucking D&D is just ridiculous. They get involved in my business and I have to do a lot of conniving to get/keep them out of it. My mom managed to capture me in the car during a drive in order to make sure that I wasn't planning on fucking anyone because I had invited someone to prom (I think I've mentioned this before, but whatever, I'm pissed enough to rant about it again). After half an hour of dodging questions, I finally gave up and just lied through my teeth. I'm not planning on it anytime soon, but if she knew what I thought I wouldn't have been allowed to go to prom and probably been kicked off the internet too. I would love to be able to tell them what I really think, but it wouldn't help. Because of our differences (not entirely; I've never been that close to them), I don't care too much about my parents. I'll be glad to be rid of them. I'm tired of dealing with religious asshats who have a huge amount of control over me and are more than willing to use it to keep me to their standards. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder all the time to be sure that they're not watching me. I'm tired of hiding my morals and my beliefs. I'm tired of worrying that they'll discover what I'm doing, of not doing what I want and what is perfectly fine (like playing D&D or joining my local SSA group) because of the way they would react. I'm tired of being dragged to worship a being that doesn't exist every Sunday. I'm fucking tired of it. The next year cannot pass too quickly.

In addition to the oppression at home, there's the school teachers and administrators who push the most fundamentalist bullshit on us every day. Chapel was yesterday. We were told to sit and pray for the last ten minutes because they ran out of stuff to talk about. Luckily I was able to steer my group into shooting the breeze instead of praying, but for the last five minutes we were required to pray silently because apparently ours was not the only group uninterested in prayer. It wasn't a big deal, but it was just so useless. A hundred people spending five minutes doing nothing but wishing really hard. Group prayer more than anything else has become really surreal since I deconverted.

I will (hopefully) be going to a public school next year, so that should solve problems 1-3 and 5, but I'll still have to deal with problem #4 for at least a year, possible three, after that. I'm not sure that I'll be able to do it, but I will be giving it my best shot. #4 might still be a problem after graduation because I won't be moving out of state for college. The one I plan to go to for my undergraduate degree is only an hour away from my house. I hope to live in the dorms there, but even then there will still be interference from my parents. Whee, so there's everything I've wanted to talk about for the past few months, posted on the internet. Not quite as good as telling people in meatspace, but I feel a little bit better now.

Woo, pagetopper :|

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Sun May 08, 2011 4:03 am UTC

Spoilered for unsolicited advice.
Spoiler:
Think about it this way. You're in a basketball game, and you're getting towards the end of the first quarter. You've been getting your ass handed to you by the home team. When the break comes, you've still got three more quarters to play. Take what lessons you can from the beatdown, and give them hell for three more quarters. You dig?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests