Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Eugh, apparently typed words are not my friend. About a week ago $friend got mad at me because of a misinterpretation and just left when I apologized. Today $friend got mad at me because of a misinterpretation and just left when I apologized.

Well, at least this time I eventually got a response. She apologized and it looks like we're cool now.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sun May 01, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

Okay, right, this is very very simple.
If your definition of good and bad is based on worldview-x then of fucking course when working under those definitions worldview-x is going to be better than worldviews-k, y and z. That is in no way a valid reason to say all other world views are bad.

An evening being told that anyone who does not follow the Christian worldview is inferior does not a happy Stiggy make.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

"The bible is correct because the bible says so"?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 02, 2011 3:09 am UTC

I gave up arguing with a similar individual a couple evenings ago, though it was over something else entirely. When your opponent's entire argument is "my position is unassailable because I say it is unassailable" you aren't likely to get anywhere. Especially whenever I pointed that inconsistency out and he would then declare "no one at this party is my intellectual equal."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon May 02, 2011 4:56 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I gave up arguing with a similar individual a couple evenings ago, though it was over something else entirely. When your opponent's entire argument is "my position is unassailable because I say it is unassailable" you aren't likely to get anywhere. Especially whenever I pointed that inconsistency out and he would then declare "no one at this party is my intellectual equal."
What a douche.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon May 02, 2011 5:17 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I gave up arguing with a similar individual a couple evenings ago, though it was over something else entirely. When your opponent's entire argument is "my position is unassailable because I say it is unassailable" you aren't likely to get anywhere. Especially whenever I pointed that inconsistency out and he would then declare "no one at this party is my intellectual equal."

At which point, you can feel free to say "You're right, they are your intellectual superiors."

Meh, I'm not nice to pricks...
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 02, 2011 5:41 am UTC

He's an odd one. We get along really well otherwise, as he's charming and entertaining when we're not discussing the human condition, or feminism, or death, or...anything of intellectual heft, I suppose. And for some reason he likes me.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon May 02, 2011 6:36 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:He's an odd one. We get along really well otherwise, as he's charming and entertaining when we're not discussing the human condition, or feminism, or death, or...anything of intellectual heft, I suppose. And for some reason he likes me.

Maybe your looks?

dr_vektor

Postby dr_vektor » Mon May 02, 2011 9:33 am UTC

Med school has turned my sibling into a cynical git, and I can no longer confide anything to him, from now until one of us dies. Now I have absolutely no one to confide anything to except the fucking Internet. Gonna go get a Zipcar, get drunk, and drive off a cliff.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 am UTC

dr_vektor wrote:Med school has turned my sibling into a cynical git, and I can no longer confide anything to him, from now until one of us dies. Now I have absolutely no one to confide anything to except the fucking Internet. Gonna go get a Zipcar, get drunk, and drive off a cliff.

Bad idea.

Also *hugs* if you want them, I know the problem with med school/doctors, and I know no way around it. :(
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Mon May 02, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

Does anyone else find it odd that in high school literature classes they ask you to take stances on real life issues and support those stances with passages from works of fiction?

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon May 02, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Erg... Why does everyone assume that girls love having 4-5 inch heels? That seems to be all that I can find now of days for dress shoes. Where are the kitten heels? I'm 5'10"! My boyfriend is 6'0". I'm really happy I'm not taller than my boyfriend and I'd prefer to keep it that way, even when dressing up.

I just want some nice black kitten heels that are not pointy. Blech.

EDIT: grammar. Blech
Last edited by KestrelLowing on Mon May 02, 2011 5:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

English class.

Thread 1: Bored bored bored
Thread 2: She looks so pretty today.
Thread 3: Wait guys the teacher is asking a question.
Thread 4: Is a grid with spring retraction really a good enough modelisation of tensile cloth fabric?
Thread 5: Don't stare at her, it's rude. Look, she's eying you nervously.
Thread 2: Meh, don't care.
Thread 1: What question? Ah this just in "What's a synonym for "dusk"? It's the title of a book."
Thread 1: Nightfall? Oh, she has good taste.
Thread 1: The asimov book with the alien race in everlasting sunlight right?
Thread 2: Yeah, I think her boyfriend read that book too.
Thread 3: This is not relevant.
Thread 1: Yeah.
Thread 1: Wait, she just said "Twilight".
All conscious threads: Pffft.

I WANT COHERENT THOUGHT PROCESSES DAMNIT

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I WANT COHERENT THOUGHT PROCESSES DAMNIT

They made perfect sense to me.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon May 02, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

I think if you renumber your threads it might make more sense.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon May 02, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Levi wrote:I think if you renumber your threads it might make more sense.

Yes, that's more or less the issue: threads are not even consistent.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

I just had an altercation with some young local hoodlets on bikes. It was generally an incredibly depressing experience, partly because of the directionless hanging around that occupies the lives of so many people, but mostly because I was too autistic to have much of an argument with them. I had thought telling the kind of people who used to make my life unpleasant when I was younger to fuck off and try to eat their ridiculous bmx bikes would be cathartic, but the whole thing was just an exercise in pointlessness.

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Mon May 02, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

A few weeks ago I went to the ER at the hospital where I work. They just sent me a GINORMOUS bill and when I asked why it wasn't sent to my insurance, they said that according to the computer, I don't have insurance. What do you MEAN I don't have insurance?? I have insurance FROM YOU PEOPLE! I exist and I work here with you! I'm fucking sure of it!

I'm hoping a call to my insurance company tomorrow will straighten it out but in the meantime, I'm going to have a series of panic attacks.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am UTC

Damn my mortal body. I need more hours to do the stuff I want to do, and even with liberal estimates I spend a third of my life unconcious. DAMN.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Tue May 03, 2011 3:29 am UTC

thorgold wrote:I spend a third of my life unconcious.
Don't think of it that way; think about it as you have an *extra* third of your life that you can tap into to varying degrees.
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 am UTC

That's a great way to look at it unless one is on a deadline. Which I am right now, so I feel your pain, thorgold.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue May 03, 2011 3:44 am UTC

I've already ranted to pretty much everyone I can rant to, so you all will just be getting the leftovers.

That said:

FUCK FUCK ASS ASS ASS FUCK SHITTING HELL OF DAMNIFICATIVELY ILLUSTRATED MOTHERFUCKING SHIT MADE OF ASS ASS ASS AND CUNT.

*deep breath*

Ah.

Goddamn deployment fucking failed fucking again fucking today fucking fuck of ass and penis and uncountable superfluidities of additional body parts made of pure titanic helling balderdasherrific smegma.

Fortunately Fucking assoriffically cuntingly fortunately, it wasn't our fault. It was the ... stuffing ... fault of our service providers. Again. Yes, this was the second deployment failure. Failures that infucking factually imfuckingpact the companfuckingy's bottom assing lineshitfuck. Afuckingshittinggainahellarificnessosity.

Aaaaaaand I think I'm done here.

>.<
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

dr_vektor

Postby dr_vektor » Tue May 03, 2011 10:35 am UTC

I FUCKING HATE MYSELF AND MY LIFE AND I WANT FUCKING OUT

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue May 03, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

4: The number of basketballs I removed from my yard on Saturday
1999: The approximate year of my last experience playing basketball
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

GenovaHeightsGhost

Postby GenovaHeightsGhost » Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 am UTC

dr_vektor, you wouldn't happen to be taking the AP Calculus exam tomorrow, would you? :P /shameless Sorry, guys.
I send internet cookies and a recommendation to go check out SB. <3 They have lovely support and advice there, but pleasepleaseplease don't do anything rash.

Rant time:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH GODFUCKINGDAMMIT STRESSED OUT PARENTS DEAD GRANDFATHER AND FUNERAL PLANS WITH FUCKING BATSHIT RELATIVES COCKSUCKING FRIDGE THAT'S BROKEN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME FUCK SHIT BALLS $BOY HAS BEEN SICK WHINY ASS SIBLINGS TO DO LIST A MILE LONG MOTHERFUCKER WHY CAN'T I HANDLE THINGS DECENTLY?!?!? *bangs head against keyboard*
QUIT ASKING ME TO DO THINGS, FUCKERS!
Princess Marzipan wrote:You have chosen WRONG.

*presses button*

Enjoy the spiked snake pit!

rigwarl wrote:
Glmclain wrote: I'm pretty liberal, and just screw everything.

Those damn liberals and their crazy sexual morals.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed May 04, 2011 11:35 am UTC

Dear facebook,

You are one of the world's most used websites. Please, please, please get your UI guys to create good error messages.

Users are supposed to understand how to fix an error. My response: And what is wrong with a URL in an option? Is that suddenly illegal?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed May 04, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

When an error occurs on Facebook the help offered is, in my experience, as helpful as being slapped with a dead fish.

Often Facebook tells me to, like Steax, try again. FFFFFFFUUUUUUU.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed May 04, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

I mean that error message is like

HOLY PURPLE HUMPING CUCUMBERS URLS! URLS! GET OUT OF MY HTML! NOOOOOOOOO GET OFF MY LAWN ARRRGGHGGHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Or, well,
"Poll option contains URL"
Huh, yes, don't you say. You're good at detecting that, even though I just typed "something.com". What awesome software you are.

"The poll option you entered contains a URL."
Why, yes. I'm awesome like that. I can type URLs!

"Please try again."
What? As in, re-submit? Why can't you, like, re-try your ajax query? What's wrong? WHAT IS WRONG ANSWER ME NOW

"Please hit this only button on the whole page: Okay."
I WILL NOT SURRENDER TO— okay.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed May 04, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

Dear ankles,

I really need you to work with me on the whole standing/walking without being in pain thing. I've given you supports, I've taken painkillers (which I feel is more than my fair share of the work), what more do you want from me?

I'd even take you for physio (not that the doctors think that will help or anything) if it were feasible, but it isn't.

No love
Me
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed May 04, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

There's nothing wrong with that Facebook error message. It's pretty obvious that you have to remove the URL from your poll option and try to submit it again. That's the one thing I didn't like about UI design, is most of the time you have to design for the lowest common denominator.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed May 04, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Just read a news story about an Aussie who stabbed his two-year old daughter, then left her to die in some scrub brush.

I'm not sure I can adequately describe the horrors I would visit upon this man.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

So apparently in January when my wife went to get A LOT of testing done on her to figure out what was causing her epilepsy to act up she wasn't insured. Her parents told her she was insured. But apparently they hadn't been paying the insurance.

Hello GIANT FUCKING MEDICAL BILLS THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL WE COULD EVER AFFORD.

It's ok though cause her parents told us we could afford it. I think they happen to think I'm rich or something? Apparently the life of a grad student is one of luxury in their mind...
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed May 04, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

This is the best part of life without insurance, you get to make decisions about whether you want to be healthy or have no money and collectors calling every day.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed May 04, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:There's nothing wrong with that Facebook error message. It's pretty obvious that you have to remove the URL from your poll option and try to submit it again. That's the one thing I didn't like about UI design, is most of the time you have to design for the lowest common denominator.

But... why? I didn't understand at all why I can't have a URL as a poll option. My poll was specifically about picking a community domain name, what's wrong with that? It makes zero sense to me. The message can simply say "links are not allowed as poll options" and they'd be clear as day. Error messages need to have solutions. =/

(just to be clear, I know what I have to do to fix the problem, but that's only from past experience with cryptic error messages. As a UI designer myself, I was surprised how bad FB handled it.)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

It doesn't really matter why you can't have URLs in your poll, you just can't. You shouldn't have to explain your implementation and its faults to your users. If you start on that path your error messages could easily get bogged down in shit very few users will care about and they might stop reading them, and then complain that they aren't helpful. :) full circle!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:01 am UTC

So why not something like "URLs are not allowed as poll options. See here for further information." with the link going to a page which explains why not. Easy to ignore if you don't care, but it makes the information available to those who do.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu May 05, 2011 12:12 am UTC

Hyperlinks in error messages? That's madness!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Thu May 05, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Hyperlinks in error messages? That's madness!
error.png
error.png (9 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu May 05, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Hyperlinks in error messages? That's madness!

Dammit GP! Beat me to it (hey, this counts as a rant!)

Edit to add real rant: My friend really needs to realize that there is a definite correlation between him deciding not to go to lectures, and him failing classes.
Last edited by torontoraptor on Thu May 05, 2011 3:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Thu May 05, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Mwa ha ha ha ha! I am victorious!

Return to “General”