Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

zookap
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby zookap » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

The single most annoying thing on this planet is white, 100% American women (almost always teachers) who speak with a normal American accent but pronounce the word "Latino" with an exaggerated Latino accent. FUCK those people!

The second most annoying thing? Bumper stickers that say "proud parent of a blah blah middle school honor student." Some of them even say "student of the week." It is perfectly reasonable to be proud but do they REALLY think it is a high enough achievement to brag about? Maybe if it was "proud parent of alumni of the decade at Cal Tech (my dad could sport this one, but not because of me) but otherwise what is the point?

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby roband » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

have a " to close off that last one.

You sound like you also need a beer!

User avatar
Jumble
Posts: 1184
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 am UTC
Location: London(ish), UK.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Jumble » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:10 pm UTC

Sodding asthma. I only get it about once a year, when that wonderful combination of spring cold bugs and hay fever creates a perfect storm in my lungs. Every time it reminds me:
- how bloody scary it is to be kept awake night after night because you can't breathe properly,
- how much I feel for people who live with this condition all the damn time,
- how, I'm a complete fucking idiot. I don't have to bother with it much, so I can never find my bloody inhaler. When, two days later I finally find it I then find it's been out of date for 6 months. Still, better than nothing.

Right, I'll shove off somewhere to wheeze for a bit.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Sodding asthma. I only get it about once a year, when that wonderful combination of spring cold bugs and hay fever creates a perfect storm in my lungs. Every time it reminds me:
- how bloody scary it is to be kept awake night after night because you can't breathe properly.


I think this goes beyond a rant and into a story about high octane nightmare fuel. My dad has asthma, he's occasionally waken up in the middle of the night literally thinking he was going to die.

Also, I never understand it when people justify their poorly thought-out decisions via the phrase "you only live once." If you only live once, then why would you spend that life making poor decisions?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
theGoldenCalf;
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 am UTC
Location: Elbow deep inside the borderline

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:15 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:If you only live once, then why would you spend that life making poor decisions?


From bitter experience, most poor decisions seem like very good ones at first. And some are just fun to make.


Someone I know just linked a Glenn Beck vid on facebook, saying how this is excellent pro-Israel propaganda and what a great friend of Israel this guy is. BAHAHA. Felt like a tell-me-who-your-friends-are-and-I'll-tell-you-you're-a-fucking-douche moment. Seriously, outside the US people aren't really aware of Mr. Beck, but don't you watch Southpark, guys? I mean, it's right fucking there on the fucking intertubes. Watch it. 'Tis important.

BAH!.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:41 am UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:If you only live once, then why would you spend that life making poor decisions?


From bitter experience, most poor decisions seem like very good ones at first. And some are just fun to make.


But these people recognize that the decisions weren't thought out. It's weird.

Someone I know just linked a Glenn Beck vid on facebook, saying how this is excellent pro-Israel propaganda and what a great friend of Israel this guy is. BAHAHA. Felt like a tell-me-who-your-friends-are-and-I'll-tell-you-you're-a-fucking-douche moment. Seriously, outside the US people aren't really aware of Mr. Beck, but don't you watch Southpark, guys? I mean, it's right fucking there on the fucking intertubes. Watch it. 'Tis important.

BAH!.


Oh god. As a pro-Israel person, it occasionally embarrasses me how some of the people who share that opinion are extremists (not that the anti-Israel party is necessarily better.) We have ultra right-wing republicans, by extension Glenn Beck, the Westboro Baptist Church IIRC, and some fascist group in France.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:27 am UTC

I just got a somewhat depressing one-minute phone call from my mother. She's been sick for the past four days and hasn't been able to leave the house let alone her bed and she's out of Pepto and other things. She called asking if I had any way of contacting my sister (whom I haven't spoken to since September) because she doesn't have a phone number for her, if my sister even has a phone. Unfortunately, I don't have any way of contacting her except for Facebook, which she rarely logs into.

So, I'm doing the only thing I can think of doing: turning to Facebook in hopes that some of my old high school friends or someone in my hometown area can get her what she needs.

Damn it. DAMN IT.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Eseell » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:14 am UTC

I guess it's spring now, because all the plant bukkake has caused my sinuses to clog more completely than the intertubes of a torrenter on 56k.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:26 am UTC

Eseell wrote:plant bukkake


bahaha

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:35 am UTC

Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I just got a somewhat depressing one-minute phone call from my mother. She's been sick for the past four days and hasn't been able to leave the house let alone her bed and she's out of Pepto and other things. She called asking if I had any way of contacting my sister (whom I haven't spoken to since September) because she doesn't have a phone number for her, if my sister even has a phone. Unfortunately, I don't have any way of contacting her except for Facebook, which she rarely logs into.

So, I'm doing the only thing I can think of doing: turning to Facebook in hopes that some of my old high school friends or someone in my hometown area can get her what she needs.

Damn it. DAMN IT.

Woot! A family friend got her some Pepto Bismol, Sprite, Ensure, chicken soup, soda crackers, and peppermint tea. CRISIS AVERTED!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:Someone I know just linked a Glenn Beck vid on facebook, saying how this is excellent pro-Israel propaganda and what a great friend of Israel this guy is. BAHAHA. Felt like a tell-me-who-your-friends-are-and-I'll-tell-you-you're-a-fucking-douche moment. Seriously, outside the US people aren't really aware of Mr. Beck, but don't you watch Southpark, guys? I mean, it's right fucking there on the fucking intertubes. Watch it. 'Tis important.

BAH!.

The first time I saw that South Park episode, I didn't know who Glenn Beck was. I thought it was just Cartman being his amoral narcissistic self in the context of a generic cable news parody. Then I saw Beck clips on the Daily Show and realized how funny the South Park bit was. The joke wasn't that Cartman's acting like Glenn Beck this week, it's that Glenn Beck acts like Cartman everyday.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

I find it disturbing that some people construct their entire viewpoints on topics and people from comedy television shows.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

It's not like listening to a talking head gives you that much greater of an insight.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

For news, it probably would. A good news source will give the facts, not just the most hilarious facts, or take facts out of context to make them hilarious. But you're right when it comes to opinions about people. To form an accurate opinion of a person you should watch their show, or read their writings. Because comedies will, again, only point out the most hilarious and ridiculous things because that's what they do. They're comedies. I have no problem with them, but I have a problem with people taking them as serious sources of news and opinion.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

You're right. A good news source will.


Know where I could find one? All the ones I have are pieces of shit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:12 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.


Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You're right. A good news source will.


Know where I could find one? All the ones I have are pieces of shit.
Yea, I was going to put a parenthetical statement in about that, but I figured it was another rant for another day. I like to keep my rants focused, like a laser.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
illiterati
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 pm UTC
Location: Ohio. Golly gee I love it here. *sarcasm sign*

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby illiterati » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:52 pm UTC

Car shopping is a bitch. Dealerships want to screw you, personal sale ads on Craigs List may or may not be scams (who knows?) and the whole thing is generally extremely stressful, especially when you only have $3k to work with. Why can't transportation vehicles grow on trees + be super fuel efficient? :x

/rant

(hey, this is the thread for it. :P )
"Baby seals are jerks. They deserve to be eaten. They're all horribly racist! They think Hitler was a pretty okay dude! And if there's one thing killer whales hate, it's Nazis." ~ Questionable Content

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I just got a somewhat depressing one-minute phone call from my mother. She's been sick for the past four days and hasn't been able to leave the house let alone her bed and she's out of Pepto and other things. She called asking if I had any way of contacting my sister (whom I haven't spoken to since September) because she doesn't have a phone number for her, if my sister even has a phone. Unfortunately, I don't have any way of contacting her except for Facebook, which she rarely logs into.

So, I'm doing the only thing I can think of doing: turning to Facebook in hopes that some of my old high school friends or someone in my hometown area can get her what she needs.

Damn it. DAMN IT.

Woot! A family friend got her some Pepto Bismol, Sprite, Ensure, chicken soup, soda crackers, and peppermint tea. CRISIS AVERTED!

That's good! Hope you have better luck with getting people's contact information for future occurrences.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Xeio » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

Phhht. I hate you 3rd party UI library.

I had to introduce 2 state variables just to deal with you because you absolutely have to select the current MDI tab when the main window is focused. You provide no indication of where this event came from, if the user actually wanted this to happen, or if they were doing something else and you just fired off all the context switching events because you were being stupid and they clicked something completely arbitrary inside said form (but not inside said tab).

Now I have to keep track of if the mouse is over an element that could cause the context switch on purpose... so I can stop and keep track of where they mean to be if they didn't....

GRAAAAAH.

You know, I wonder if there is a coding rant thread... I didn't see one though

EDIT: Incidentally, I may have to duplicate this ugly functionality somewhere else. Too bad it requires at least two different classes to cooperate or I'd just override the relevant one...

User avatar
Armadillo Al
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC
Location: Illinois

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Mumpy wrote:Well that makes a lot of sense I guess. Out of interest who was it that the nation just couldn't wait to be king?

Who else? Washington, Washington : six foot eight weighs a fucking ton.

Of course, that's an oversimplification and joining of a couple of different, unrelated bits. Also, not quite as true as I thought earlier. Still, one of Washington's men wrote him a letter on how Republics suck in wartime and emulating the European model of monarchy may not be so bad hint hint, and How everyone wanted Washington in charge though he only did the second term so people would leave him alone and probably gave a "fuck you fuck you you're cool fuck you I'm out" speech as soon as it was over.

You mean like Washington's Farewell Address? I love that document, especially the part where he warns/rants about the dangers of a two-party political system:

George Fucking Washington wrote:22 The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty.


The paragraph warning against taking on debt in wartime that isn't paid off in peacetime seems especially poignant as well.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

His troops should have pulled a "Claudius' German Guards" manouvre on him.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Yeah, pretty much. The more I learn about Washington, the more I realize he was basically Brian - just a jackass who happened to impress a couple of people and suddenly found himself leading a nation of squabbling brats who hated each other with not a damn clue as to what he was doing and mostly faking it right after leading a military campaign in which he had no idea what he was doing and just sorta faked it coming from a relatively unremarkable military career in which he accidentally a war*... and he knew he was basically just the lucky jackass who got tapped by luck or fate or whatever and was just doing his damnedest to not fuck up too bad.



*Yes, it is an oversimplification to say Washington started it. Just as it's an oversimplification to say the American Revolution was fought over taxation. Go with it, I make joke, we laugh, it over.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_Axle_
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby _Axle_ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

Gah!

I hate trying to debug and fix a friend's KD-Tree / Raycasting assignment. Not only is this the slowest possible program to debug, the framework is pretty horrible, so its just a nightmare. I really want to put my fist through the wall about now....
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5175
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Felstaff » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I find it disturbing that some people construct their entire viewpoints on topics and people from comedy television shows.

Interestingly, I formulated my entire political viewpoint (growing up) from comedy television shows. The news was too BAWW-WRING for an 11-year-old, and the down-with-the-kids news programmes (Newsround) was a little too kiddy to be cool to watch. Thus, satirical panel shows and political stand-up comedy taught me to hate just about everyone for everything. Also: living with a staunch conservative for a few years did pretty much the same thing.

But I know what you mean if you're talking about US comedy shows. At least irreverent British comedy has the decency to sling mud at any target.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Amarantha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Fuck winter.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

If you think it necessary to PUT WORDS in caps in order to MAKE YOUR POINT, maybe you should focus MORE ON your argument. THAT WAY people won't read your commentary and dismiss it AS THE UNFOUNDED ramblings of a circus seal.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

You should have made a second secret message with the capitalised words.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby roband » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

oh, was MORE ON not meant to be 'MORON'? ;)

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

Roband wins the cookie.

Put words. Make your point. Moron.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby roband » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Yesssssss. Cooooookie

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby emceng » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

I need a new freaking laptop for work. Besides all the shit it normally sucks at, it has recently decided to just disconnect from the wireless network(despite saying it is still connected). Today instead of trying to connect to our customer wireless(which it can't do anyway for some unknown reason) then reconnecting to our corporate wireless, I tried something different. I tried 'repair connection' instead. So I got the message window saying disabling connection, it froze, and I had to close all the important stuff I was working on to reboot. Reboot, and still can't freaking repair the wireless connection because I don't have admin rights.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Eseell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:53 am UTC

I slept on my glasses and now they're all bent out of shape, but the change is subtle and I'm having a hard time making them right again. :(
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Stupid Mac. I'm so used to hitting Alt+D to select the URL bar, so I keep pressing Command+D which bookmarks a page... My dad might be confused when he sees a hundred new bookmarks.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:53 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Stupid Mac. I'm so used to hitting Alt+D to select the URL bar, so I keep pressing Command+D which bookmarks a page... My dad might be confused when he sees a hundred new bookmarks.

You are now aware that ctrl-L / cmd-L does the same thing.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:08 pm UTC

ctrl-L does nothing, ⌘-L does work though.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

But what does Kal-El do?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:But what does Kal-El do?

Make fun of Bruce "My perents are deeeaaaadd" Wayne.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

I can't find it, but there is this picture of Batman standing on a rooftop looking up at the bat signal. Except the "bat" has been replaced with the stylized "S" Supes wears. The demotivation capture is something like, "Clark, you asshole".
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests