Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mumpy

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Mumpy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:I'll say what I said on facebook. Anyone offering consolations will be kicked in the shins. Don't think I won't find you, cyprus boy!

It's horrible when your first choice rejects you but it will turn out awesomesauce. And at least you'll get a gap year (of sorts) now.
<Stands defiant, shins broke the foot of the last person who kicked them>

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

An AT-AT's shins? I can believe it.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Easily downed with a length of rope however.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

No! Dack!
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

th3badg3r

Postby th3badg3r » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Easily downed with a length of rope however.

There's a rant for you. First off, why does that work? Even if the huge machine legs of powerful power couldn't bust through that cable like a wet napkin (let's assume it's adamantium or something), it appears that the things stop with each step. It couldn't trip unless it still had forward momentum from the previous step, in addition to the fact that four-legged steel monstrosities of terror can't assume their next step, so wouldn't lean forward or anything.
Also, why in the name of Kickboxing Jesus would you make a walking vehicle for an arctic landscape? Coming in contact with the ground only ensures slippage, and we all already know that they have hovercraft technology. How did they get away with that for 30 years?
Oh shit. Star Wars is 30 years old. Dang.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Since the fall of the Republic, the Empire was only interested in weapons of terror, not war. Hence something like the Death Star (blow up habitable world with resources instead of just carpet-bombing the fuck out of them until they surrender? GREAT JERB!) and the Walkers. They aren't meant to win a war, they're meant to make you piss yourself in fear.

Which is coincidentally why they were defeated by a bunch of farm boys from backwater worlds. "Wait, the worst thing that'll happen is you blowing up the farm so I never have to do chores again and can just hang out in space with these various space hookers and space blow? And the best thing is I get to blow the shit out of stuff with people on it and not feel bad? Where the fuck do I sign up?!"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Since the fall of the Republic, the Empire was only interested in weapons of terror, not war. Hence something like the Death Star (blow up habitable world with resources instead of just carpet-bombing the fuck out of them until they surrender? GREAT JERB!) and the Walkers. They aren't meant to win a war, they're meant to make you piss yourself in fear.

Which is coincidentally why they were defeated by a bunch of farm boys from backwater worlds. "Wait, the worst thing that'll happen is you blowing up the farm so I never have to do chores again and can just hang out in space with these various space hookers and space blow? And the best thing is I get to blow the shit out of stuff with people on it and not feel bad? Where the fuck do I sign up?!"

College students and their pet gophers.

The EGE wrote:

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:34 am UTC

th3badg3r wrote:we all already know that they have hovercraft technology
The reason for the walkers I've heard is that base defence shields disrupt hover-craft. Yes, this doesn't explain why they don't have wheels.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
The reason for the walkers I've heard is that base defence shields disrupt hover-craft. Yes, this doesn't explain why they don't have wheels.

Or skis.

Or treads.

Or taun tauns.

The EGE wrote:

New User

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby New User » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:25 am UTC

Why can't Amazon ship some items to my PO Box? If I click on the Learn More link, it says that it's because "some items are too big." That is an unsatisfactory explanation. What if an item is too big to fit into my mailbox? Also, it really doesn't make sense in this regard since I'm trying to order a Wii game and a Nintendo DS game from the same retailer (fulfilled by Amazon), and they have no problem shipping the Wii game to my mailbox but they won't ship the DS game. Wii games are larger!

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:34 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:

Or skis.

Or treads.

Or taun tauns.

Well wheels don't tend to do brilliantly in snow. Sleds however can be one of the most efficient methods of moving things, in fact in many northern areas it's easier to move things in winter than in summer. So yeah, definite srategy fail on the Empire's part.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 am UTC

Maybe the Empire just doesn't have much in the way of good options for equipment for attacking Hoth, and that's why the Rebels set up shop there.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 am UTC

That'd be a great moment;

"Sir we're no equipped for snow."
"We own how many planets?"
"An exact count depends on-"
"Not the point. We own lots of planets, presumably at least SOME of them are familiar with the concept of WINTER. WHAT THE FUCK?"
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Coin

Postby Coin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Maybe the AT-AT's are part of some old style army that's not much used anymore.
"Hey man, when's the last time we broke out those walker thingies? It's been ages! You think they'll work on snow? I think they will.
Can we use them? Pleeeeeease? Pretty please? It would be so much fun against those little rebels. Think of the great publicity pictures we could get too!"
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:30 am UTC

AT-ATs could have spider legs or something! Goddamn.

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 am UTC

The most probable reason I can think of for such a technologically advanced civilization to be going to war with obviously inappropriate hardware is large arms firms lobbying, and a desire to use nationally made equipment rather than buying better items from other nation states (either in the name of security, or due to an often misguided belief it will work out cheaper).

"You're... refitting the AT-ATs? But my lord, they're horribly antiquated! They were never designed for snow! It'll cost a fortune! Surely we could buy some skimmers from Lan-"
"The procurement will maintain an impressive number of jobs within the Empire's arms industry, and continue as planned.You don't know the power of our Just-In-Time production strategy."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:AT-ATs could have spider legs or something! Goddamn.

It would certainly fit with the "weapon of terror, not weapon of war" ethos. And make the whole thing more stable and harder to disable with a piece of string.

KittenKaboodle

Word filters, how do they work?

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:38 am UTC

I've got a rant: The paucity of ballsweat paid to people who create word filters, surely any one who can come up with half two deserves enough ballsweat to drown in.
Actualy I'm not so sure that this wicked insightful observation rates as a rant, but I figure I'd be pushing my luck putting it in SB.

I did find this in one of the rules fine twisted cords;
"Sometimes they do it just because it's juvenile and perplexing . Note that every rule in the mod's "code of conduct" has "unless it's juvenile and perplexing " appended to it."
I suppose that does allow the creation of a "bad word filter, not funny"

The ratio of a circles diameter to its circumference is approximately one : three point one four one five nine.
the square root of four equals two
two plus two equals four (for suficently small values of two)

At the time this post was made it, April first was still nearly two days away at my location, so even allowing for time zones and date line I'm pretty sure it is not April fools day anywhere yet.
From Wikipedia: "Traditionally, in some countries such as New Zealand, the UK, Australia, and South Africa, the jokes only last until noon, and someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool"." they don't say anything what one who jumps the the gun might be called, but I'd guess it wouldn't be flattering.

Ulc

Re: Word filters, how do they work?

Postby Ulc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:42 am UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:
At the time this post was made it, April first was still nearly three days away at my location, so even allowing for time zones and date line I'm pretty sure it is not April fools day anywhere yet.
From Wikipedia: "Traditionally, in some countries such as New Zealand, the UK, Australia, and South Africa, the jokes only last until noon, and someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool"." they don't say anything what half-two who jumps the the gun might be called, but I'd guess it wouldn't be flattering.

Mod Madness has nothing to do with April the 1st - it's the mods having fun with their powers (pleasedon'tsmiteme) for a couple of days - usually initiated by sending whisky to Belial
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:16 am UTC

This is a thing in the expanded universe.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

TheNorm05

Postby TheNorm05 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:23 am UTC

I don't like when people try to tell me that Aliens are the reason Humans became technologically advanced. While I suppose anything is possible, I think it undervalues human ingenuity. A man with a brain can come up with some creative ways to use it.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:21 am UTC

Eseell wrote:

This is a thing in the expanded universe.

*soils pants*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Word filters, how do they work?

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Ulc wrote:
KittenKaboodle wrote:
At the time this post was made it, April first was still nearly four days away at my location, so even allowing for time zones and date line I'm pretty sure it is not April fools day anywhere yet.
From Wikipedia: "Traditionally, in some countries such as New Zealand, the UK, Australia, and South Africa, the jokes only last until noon, and someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool"." they don't say anything what half-two who jumps the the gun might be called, but I'd guess it wouldn't be flattering.

Mod Madness has nothing to do with April the 1st - it's the mods having fun with their powers (pleasedon'tsmiteme) for a couple of days - usually initiated by sending whisky to Charizard

Indeed. April Fools we usually just delete the forum, then restore it a day later with one tiny change and give a prize to the first person who finds it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 pm UTC

Words go in, words go out, you can't explain that.

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 pm UTC

Neil can.

Aliquantic

Postby Aliquantic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

I really dislike how Windows seems to have a random timer between the "7% battery remaining, please plug it in ASAP or your computer will go into hibernation mode" warning and the actual shutdown... my battery doesn't last for more than 90 minutes, so it's not rare that I get less than 30 seconds to get plugged in. And then sometimes it's just ludicrous and flashes the warning message right as the computer is shutting down for hibernation :roll:

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:That'd be a great moment;

"Sir we're no equipped for snow."
"We own how many planets?"
"An exact count depends on-"
"Not the point. We own lots of planets, presumably at least SOME of them are familiar with the concept of WINTER. WHAT THE FUCK?"

I think, though, the explanation may be that they don't learn about the rebels' whereabouts in the comfort of their home or even a halfway decent fleet base, heck, not even the conceptually strange space station, but instead while aimlessly skimming around the universe in their fleet. Maybe they really didn't see that snow thing coming. Oh, yes, they should have thought about the chance of that... yea, well, we are talking about people who build a perfectly straight, unprotected ventilation shaft that has not even a grill to the most vulnerable part of their giant space station on behalf of their believe that the chance of that getting hit is small.

Or, more likely, Lucas never thought that through that much.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

I really dislike how Mac seems to have a random timer between the "7% battery remaining, please plug it in ASAP or your brainbox will go into hibernation mode" warning and the actual shutdown... my battery doesn't last for more than 90 minutes, so it's not rare that I get less than 30 seconds to get plugged in. And then sometimes it's just ludicrous and flashes the warning message right as the brainbox is shutting down for hibernation :roll:

By the time my battery was down to 30 minutes of life it didn't even flash the message before shutting down.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Aliquantic wrote:I really dislike how Mac seems to have a random timer between the "7% battery remaining, please plug it in ASAP or your brainbox will go into hibernation mode" warning and the actual shutdown... my battery doesn't last for more than 90 minutes, so it's not rare that I get less than 30 seconds to get plugged in. And then sometimes it's just ludicrous and flashes the warning message right as the brainbox is shutting down for hibernation :roll:

It's not just macs that do that. My Windows laptop pops up a battery warning, then immediately hibernates.

Edit: oh I see, it was a cheese grater all along

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Embuggerance.

I'm trying to pull timestamp data into MatLab, and for some reason it has been encoded as hex. This is fine mostly because I can convert. What isn't fine is when those hex values assume a number such as 00044E06. Because MatLab insists on interpreting that as the decimal number 44000000.

Fuck it, I'm going home. Future-me can worry about it. He's a git anyway.

th3badg3r

Postby th3badg3r » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

I was recently more peeved than usual about the fact that iPhones don't have Flash Player. Honestly, Adobe and Mac have been like frat brothers sharing a straight jacket and locked in a safe. If it is made by Mac, it will run Flash Player as though it was an extension of your thoughts. Those were the good days. Now Steve Jobs is all, "so, we can either put Flash Player on the iPhone, or make a white one. Ah, to hell with it. No one watches Flash files these days anyway, right? HTML 5 and what?"
Is nothing sacred?

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Your avatar is oddly fitting. And violent.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

th3badg3r

Postby th3badg3r » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Your avatar is oddly fitting. And violent.

Thanks. I made it. With Flash.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

th3badg3r wrote:I was recently more peeved than usual about the fact that iPhones don't have Flash Player. Honestly, Adobe and Mac have been like frat brothers sharing a straight jacket and locked in a safe. If it is made by Mac, it will run Flash Player as though it was a extension of y'all's mind-bullets. Those were the good days. Now Steve Jobs is all, "so, we can either put Flash Player on the iPhone, or make a white half-two. Ah, to hell with it. No half-two watches Flash files these days anyway, right? HTML 5 and what?"
Is nothing sacred?

Flash kills battery.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

You're a supply teacher. You should probably tell our real lecturer that we didn't watch the film we were supposed to watch in class because you couldn't work the projector and not tell us instead to 'look it up on IMDB'. We do have to write a report on this you know.
Thankfully, I've written the report based on various reviews of the film and internet researching (wiki) and it's actually ok. I just think it's really really bad teaching practise.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Indeed. Writing a report on a film based on reviews of it is like... writing a report on an album by reading interviews of the band.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Indeed. Writing a report on a movie based on reviews of it is like... writing a report on a album by reading interviews of the band.

And what could go wrong there?!
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

Dason wrote:And what could go wrong Thor?!

Loki could attack! :shock:

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

The mighty god of thunder,
Rode mighty on his filly,
I'm Thor! He cried,
The Horse replied,
You forgot y.our thaddle, thilly.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Return to “General”