Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Scyphozoa

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:28 am UTC

...Seriously? In all of my on-level English courses, it has been painfully redundantly taught to us.

There are few cases when you need to use the semicolon (the only one I can think of is when you're separating items in a list, you have to use them instead of commas if any of the items contain commas). Other than that, you can use it in place of ", and" or instead of a period and starting a new sentence, if the two sentences you're joining are closely related; this has been demonstrated at least three times now on this page.

The colon is used to introduce a list such that, if the colon were replaced with a period, everything before it would make a grammatically correct sentence and the very next word is the first item in the list. (I need a few things: some rubber hose, a ski mask, a bear trap, a map of the pentagon, and some lube.) It can also be used like a semicolon if the second sentence is explaining the first. (There's something fishy here: I've always heard California's education system sucked.)

Why the fuck did I just write that, when I'm too sleepy to remember to put the second "m" in "grammar" twice in a row? Is it because I have extra time to sleep in tomorrow and nothing to do until 11 tomorrow morning? Probably.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 am UTC

Who.
The Hell.
Leaves the house at 2pm with no plan of returning with a GODDAMN LIT CANDLE IN YOUR ROOM?!?

Do you realize that doing such a thing means that twelve goddamn hours later, yours truly wakes up to the SCREECHING OF FIRE ALARMS and has an adrenaline rush akin to a heart attack? That I might run outside thinking that my house was on fire? That I have to go back in to the squalling home, trying to dismantle all my fire alarms (fun fact: when you take the battery out of a fire alarm, IT STILL FUCKING SCREAMS AT YOU), until I finally get to your fucking room? JUST TO SEE A TINY LITTLE CANDLE BURNING?!
And then, after blowing out the candle, literally five seconds passed and all the alarms went off.
So now half my fire alarms are hanging from their holes in the ceiling by their wires, looking like dead things, and they all have malicious signs on them saying TEST WEEKLY as if that's ever gonna happen, and I've still got a goddamn pint of adrenaline flooding my system, and HOLY FUCK THAT WAS INFURIATING.
uhhhh fuck.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:26 am UTC

Midnight wrote:Who.
The Hell.
Leaves the house at 2pm with no plan of returning with a GODDAMN LIT CANDLE IN YOUR ROOM?!?

I'd say kill it with fire, but...
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:31 am UTC

nehpest wrote:
The Hell.

If you did that, I imagine he might begin to loathe you with a fiery passion.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:34 am UTC

viscusanima wrote:
nehpest wrote:
The Hell.

If you did that, I imagine he might begin to loathe you with a fiery passion.

Maybe start a flame war? That might ignite the mods' hatred against us.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 am UTC

BAH. Fire alarm discussion is SO three days ago.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:37 am UTC

nehpest wrote:Maybe start a flame war? That might ignite the mods' hatred against us.

Try that and I will burn this fucking thread to the ground.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 am UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:BAH. Fire alarm discussion is SO three days ago.

Man, there's a difference between cooking smoky food and waking up in the middle of the night to the screams of the damned.
And if you mean kill my house with fire--no. If you mean kill the fire alarms with fire--given the opportunity, I probably would. In regards to killing the person responsible for leaving lit candles in closed rooms... not today. But it's on the brain.

also, i c wut u did thar, hawknc.
uhhhh fuck.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:48 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Try that and I will burn this fucking thread to the ground.

Midnight wrote:also, i c wut u did thar, hawknc.

I perceive the joke, and yet perceiving it am cowed nonetheless. There's something Zen in there, I'm sure of it. A++, would be modded thus again.

blag

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

Mom, if you ask me to send an email, and I try to ask you more in detail what should be in the email, "I just want you to have a conversation about this!" doesn't help me.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:55 am UTC

My dad has such infuriating opinions. This time it boiled down to that poor people shouldn't get healthcare; if they can't pay for it, they should just die.

Uni can't get here fast enough.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 am UTC

Trying to eat a chicken leg with a knife and fork is the most infuriating thing. There's always these bits of chicken that stick to the bone that are impossible to get off with a fork, and it'd be really easy to just pick them off with your fingers and eat them but then everyone would probably stare at me 'cause we're at a fancy dinner.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:48 am UTC

So I'm applying to do research over the summer at my college. Back in December I approached a guy running a solar energy program that I'd heard was accepting undergrads, and he seemed pretty open to having me apply. Over the past couple of months I've been going to meetings with him and with a couple other postdocs in the same group to talk about the various projects that they've got going. About a month or so ago I stop hearing from them. I keep emailing. Nothing.

I get an email today. "We are sorry to inform you that unfortunately we were unable to match you with a mentor for SURF 2011." Gee thanks for letting me know so quickly, guys, so I could have time to find something else. THE APPLICATION IS DUE TOMORROW.

Luckily I'd already guessed as much three weeks ago and started working on joining a different group who was more than happy to let me join. But still. *mumbles incoherently*

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 am UTC

Office internet connection, why dost thou sucketh so?
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Trying to eat a chicken leg with a knife and fork is the most infuriating thing.

I was always secretly hoping one day I could eat a chicken leg in the style of a Disney character, where you can remove 100% of the chicken meat from just one bite.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 am UTC

I tried that once when I was five. Wasn't pretty. In retrospect it was pretty hilarious.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:Office internet connection computer, why dost thou sucketh so?

Random crashes, can't connect to certain wireless networks, random freezes, takes 30+ seconds to open my computer...
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

There are three things which I hate.

The first day after a three-day weekend.

Grandstanding.

And you.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Hey, you asshole over there. Yeah, you. The asshole. You drive a minivan, which doesn't make you an asshole. But you know space is precious in the state government parking lots, you park here every goddamn day. We're packed in like depressed obese sardines in here, so I don't care that you're *only* one-third over the line of your parking space. But, you say, one-third is less than half, right? I'm only one-third an asshole, right? No, I say, I don't care if you're one-sixth or one-sixteenth over the line, you're in a fucking ugly hulking muddy minivan AND YOU'VE JUST WASTED A PERFECTLY GOOD GODDAMN PARKING SPACE, ASSHOLE.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:Most of my friends from back home manage to type in good English. But the ones I've met at uni are bad: 'nop y u cant give me anymore shyt =p' followed by '*yu' to correct it. 'can actuli relax 4 abit before the next lot of work comes along!!'. 'Yeah deffffs!! I got essays to do over easter eughh but one nights out ahha!! Get sme pitchers inn!! Hahaha yeh that soon!'
I mean what is the point?! I have to see this crap on my facebook everyday. You're 20 learn to communicate like a grown up.

This whole trend means one of two things, so far as I can tell.

Either:
1) As time goes on, I will see more and more business emails that are verging on incomprehensible and make me very angry,
OR
2) I will automatically get better jobs than a vast number of these people for typing normally (from the point a few years hence when they start joining the workforce up through just about forever).
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:This whole trend means one of two things, so far as I can tell.

Either:
1) As time goes on, I will see more and more business emails that are verging on incomprehensible and make me very angry,
OR
2) I will automatically get better jobs than a vast number of these people for typing normally (from the point a few years hence when they start joining the workforce up through just about forever).

I'm afraid it'll be number one.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:16 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Trying to eat a chicken leg with a knife and fork is the most infuriating thing.

I was always secretly hoping one day I could eat a chicken leg in the style of a Disney character, where you can remove 100% of the chicken meat from just one bite.
This here? Preferred method for speed-eating buffalo wings. The price of it becoming common is that I no longer think of that movie every time I do it.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 am UTC

-So you're the smart one in the family, right?
-Uh... sure, if you say so.
-I need you to fix the thermostat. It'll be really easy, I promise.
-If it's so easy, why don't you do it?
-Because... um... [insert BS reasons]
-Uh huh...
-Just take a look at it, okay?
-...I guess.
-kthxbai
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm UTC

People who don't use their signals when they turn from a lane that could either turn or go straight. And drivers who are oblivious to bikers, and militant bikers who forced through share the road laws so now the rest of us have to be on the road and get run over. <<Was run over last week.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

The cleaners at my work (for my floor) used to be a couple of pretty cool guys - I got on with them ok, chatted to them occaisionally, and they were always courteous and helpful, and efficient at their jobs. But now they've been reassigned to somewhere else in the building, and we've got two surly women instead, who - as soon as they come in to the office each evening - immediately shut themselves in one of the meeting rooms near my desk for an hour and proceed to do nothing but chat loudly (the meeting room doesn't have great soundproofing, so I can hear them pretty clearly). And when they finally do get around to doing some actual cleaning, they proceed to glare pointedly at me if I'm still in the office working late, because I'm in the way of them cleaning around my desk. Yeah, I'm not here to annoy you, cleaners, I wouldn't be working late if I didn't have to. :|

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:
Hope_ wrote:Most of my friends from back home manage to type in good English. But the ones I've met at uni are bad: 'nop y u cant give me anymore shyt =p' followed by '*yu' to correct it. 'can actuli relax 4 abit before the next lot of work comes along!!'. 'Yeah deffffs!! I got essays to do over easter eughh but one nights out ahha!! Get sme pitchers inn!! Hahaha yeh that soon!'
I mean what is the point?! I have to see this crap on my facebook everyday. You're 20 learn to communicate like a grown up.

This whole trend means one of two things, so far as I can tell.

Either:
OR

The Peter Principle indicates that, not only will it be #1, these people will be the ones signing your paychecks.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:The Peter Principle indicates that, not only will it be #1, these people will be the ones signing your paychecks.

I think you are confusing it with the Dilbert Principle!

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

We went to an Indian restaurant, and it didn't serve rice with its dishes.
Or had it as a side dish.
WTH Indian restaurant?!? You just can't leave out such an important staple!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

A lot of my lecturers this semester are annoyed by people not paying attention to the lecture. I'm annoyed by them being annoyed by it.
Seriously. Let that guy read his book. Let that other guy text. Just get on with your lecture, I didn't come to class to hear you bitch about people not paying attention.

Also, we're all quite aware of the fact that the lectures are not mandatory. But deciding to go to the lectures is not on a class-to-class basis. It's on a lecture-to-lecture basis. So if you don't tell what you're going to teach in the individual lectures, people can't know if they're going to be interested* in it or not.

*Basic example: if you're going to spend 75 minutes explaining the class path and jar-files, stuff I've already used quite extensively, don't expect me to pay attention.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

I was presented these pictures as factual results of genetic engineering today...

There went my week's dose of faith in humanity...

Those actually aren't real. Right?

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

...I'm sorry.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:I was presented these pictures as factual results of genetic engineering today...

There went my week's dose of faith in humanity...

Those actually aren't real. Right?

They're shopped. I can tell from the pixels.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:01 am UTC

The banana corn is fake, but I'm pretty sure the chicks are real, if not that photo, then in general. Sold around easter time is some places.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 am UTC

They just dye the embryos, I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as genetic engineering.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:12 am UTC

Changing fur colour isn't beyond current genetic engineering, right? Pink might be a little difficult, but...

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:02 am UTC

But it's simpler to just dip a chick in food coloring or cool-aid or summat. No need for the SCIENCE!
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 am UTC

For that second image, I imagine a big crane claw coming down and plucking one of them out of the pile.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:28 am UTC

I had a big ass-rant composed about the suckage of bras, expressed in the wider context of the sexualisation of women - looks vs. comfort style of fing. But thinking about made me cry, and now I just don't feel like going there. So yeah, fuck all this shit.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Chandani wrote:We went to an Indian restaurant, and it didn't serve rice with its dishes.
Or had it as a side dish.
WTH Indian restaurant?!? You just can't leave out such an important staple!

I have been to some Indian restaurants which focus heavily on bread, not rice (which is fairly common in some areas of India), but it's very unusual they don't at least offer rice as well.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:42 am UTC

No rice in an Indian restaurant? Naan whatsoever?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Return to “General”