Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

I usually just bring a book with me most times when I go to the doctor/hair salon/whatever.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

My wellies were both in the hallway. Now only one is there. All the guys claim ignorance. I have to walk down to ergos in about 40 minutes, and apparently will have to do so in trainers, probably resulting in soaking wet feet. I am incredibly not impressed.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:11 pm UTC

I sometimes take old New Scientists with me to the doctor's to feed into the pile. Then by the next time I go I'll have forgotten all about them and think "Hey! They have New Scientist!" Anyway, rant
It's Sunday; I'm too tired and scatter brained to do anything beyond inane internetting before the week starts all over again and I have to go and be tired and scattbrained in lessons. I'm strugging to do even the things I care about instead of what I'm supposed to care about. Like robotics instead of a levels. The whole cycle just keeps on going, and if I rebel and make it stop I get bored and even more tired from doing nothing all day.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/dec/05/government-scientific-advice-drugs-policy?CMP=twt_fd

The government are trolling, right? Right? RIGHT?!

I'm pretty sure they're just pushing this policy through so that scenarios like this don't have to happen anymore:

Minister: We don't like this drug, we want to ban it.
Scientist: I think you'll find there's no scientific evidence which says that this drug is dangerous.
Minister: But people have died, we need to ban it!
Scientist: Actually, it's no more dangerous than flying a kite. You have no evidence to suggest it has actually caused any deaths at all.
Minister: YOU JUST SHUT YOUR MOUTH. SHUT IT RIGHT NOW.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Oh my goodness, that is terrible. Of the several fairly terrible things I've seen the government do, this is one of the more terrible. I can't think of any kind of justification beyond their: "greater flexibility in the expertise we are able to draw on." Which doesn't mean anything at all. Anyway, which expertise? I thought that was what they were getting rid of.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

I won't start freaking out about that until they appoint religious leaders to the council. Then I'll bust out the pitchforks and torches.
uhhhh fuck.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

I love a good pitchfork and torches mob

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

...This makes me think it's Protest o'clock. Again.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

Thing is, this will probably go through without a fight, because drugs are a soft target. Anyone who expresses an opinion other 'OH MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN AND BAN THOSE LIFE-SUCKING MONSTROSITIES' is branded a dirty hippy and their opinion is disregarded by the masses, who reach for their packets of fags and mutter furiously as they read their copy of the Daily Mail and sip their wine.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Hmmm, no, I don't see it that way.

IMO, hardly anyone cares about drug regulation as long as it gets done by someone.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

I agree, it'll probably slip into obscurity, but it's still pretty shitty news.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

As I'd hoped, Ben Goldacre's picked up on it. Let's see if he can make any kind of fuss about it.

softchews

Postby softchews » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:36 pm UTC

Oh Noes! Scientists might not agree with what we want to impose on people! RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Con-Dem: Pissing off people with brains since 2010
(Although Labour didn't have a strong track record either...)
Oh, and can I bring a combine harvester to that pitchfork mob? Gotta move with the times :)

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 am UTC

softchews wrote:Con-Dem: Pissing off people with brains since 2010
(Although Labour didn't have a strong track record either...)

But at least Labour waited four years or so before they decided to complealy backtrack on their whole manifesto. The Lib Dems (or at least the Lib Dems that ae in the cabinet) have, apparently gone "Our manifesto? Well, now that we're in power we can safely say: 'lol! /jk!' ".
And as a pre-emptive response to any corrections to my spelling / grammar: 1: see my sig, 2: fuck off, I'm durnk.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Dargon Cophe

Postby Dargon Cophe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:56 am UTC

Fucking Sunday. No fucking offices are open, it's fucking dreary, I've got shit I need to fucking do, I don't have any fucking work until Wednesday, I didn't get my fucking paycheck on Thursday, I can't fucking call to get it rectified, my sister and I are fighting and she's being completely un-fucking-reasonable, and women find complaining fucking unattractive.

All of this is juxtaposed with last night and the fucking great blowjob that came with it. I have a girlfriend; this negative shit is supposed to fucking stop.

And the common denominator is me and the word "fucking."
Magnanimous wrote:
Dargon Cophe wrote:I am sick and tired of these motherfucking aliens on this motherfucking plain!
I love you.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 am UTC

Dargon Cophe wrote:I have a girlfriend; this negative shit is supposed to fucking stop.

You're like that black woman who thought electing Obama meant she wouldn't have to pay for gas
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:49 am UTC

Please tell me you're making that up.

I beg of you.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:01 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Dargon Cophe wrote:I have a girlfriend; this negative shit is supposed to fucking stop.

You're like that black woman who thought electing Obama meant she wouldn't have to pay for gas

I love you. Remembering that just made my morning.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:Please tell me you're making that up.

I beg of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=381gFG4Crr8

A slight exaggeration, but not much of one.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

Some inconsiderate fuck hit my friend Catherine with their car yesterday. So I get to go out in the rain, collect a dead cat and try to explain what happened to my kids. At least it looked like it was quick and at ~15 she had a fairly long and definitely good life up until that.

edit: Oh I forgot to mention it was one of the kid's birthday also. You know, the one who loved the cat the most.

Spoilered for awful, don't read if you have a pet:
Spoiler:
Yeah so when I found her she was definitely dead but still warm and when I picked her up there was just enough air left in her lungs prior to passing to let out this death sounding squeak/moan/thing from the weight of her body when I picked her up and for about 3 seconds I wasn't sure she was really dead but knew if she wasn't she wouldn't make it and I'd have to put her out myself. While it would have been the only prudent and humane choice I still felt horrible for thinking it.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:Please tell me you're making that up.

I beg of you.

I don't know why you would be surprised. There are loads of unintelligent people in this country, especially considering that it's a black candidate that heavily ran on hope and change. I feel bad for her, if anything.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

fuck you body. stop acting up. you're stupid
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:Some inconsiderate fuck hit my friend Catherine with their car yesterday. So I get to go out in the rain, collect a dead cat and try to explain what happened to my kids. At least it looked like it was quick and at ~15 she had a fairly long and definitely good life up until that.

edit: Oh I forgot to mention it was one of the kid's birthday also. You know, the one who loved the cat the most.

Spoilered for awful, don't read if you have a pet:
Spoiler:
Yeah so when I found her she was definitely dead but still warm and when I picked her up there was just enough air left in her lungs prior to passing to let out this death sounding squeak/moan/thing from the weight of her body when I picked her up and for about 3 seconds I wasn't sure she was really dead but knew if she wasn't she wouldn't make it and I'd have to put her out myself. While it would have been the only prudent and humane choice I still felt horrible for thinking it.

Ouch. That's pretty shitty. Poor kid.

Rant: Arrrgh! Why is everyone else depressed at this time of year as well? I've just been to the councellors for an assesment session and now the earliest they can give me a proper appointment is on the 5th of January. Bollocks.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Rant: Why ask for help only for you to have a go at anyone who offers it to you? Attention seeking? Yeah, that's probably it knowing you.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:52 am UTC

Rant: rm plus autocomplete is already well-known to be a horrible combination. Here's one more complaint. Consider the following sequence:

Code: Select all

jonny@alderaan ~ $ ln -s srilm linky
jonny@alderaan ~ $ rm linky/
rm: cannot remove `linky/': Is a directory
jonny@alderaan ~ $ rmdir linky/
rmdir: failed to remove `linky/': Not a directory
Autocomplete automatically puts a '/' at the end of the symbolic link, since it acts like a directory. Stupid rm just assumes if there's a slash at the end of the filename that it's a directory. It doesn't do a real check. rmdir, on the other hand, does the check, and realizes that it's a symbolic link. The answer: a five minute web search and

Code: Select all

jonny@alderaan ~ $ rm linky
So annoying.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 am UTC

The reason we Americans see no disgusting footage and photos of the Iraq War & Afghanistan War is because it would enrage the people too much.

Take your soma, kids.
uhhhh fuck.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 am UTC

Holy mother of Tux! I ran a cool little program called fdupes on my /. It spewed out nearly two million lines of output. I find this to be rather terrifying indeed.

Anyway, the rant: now I have to sift through those two million lines. Sure, I have some tricks up my sleeve to help eliminate some matches, but damn.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:57 am UTC

Make a folder for everything that you know is important to keep make a second folder to move everything else into. Move stuff out of that second folder whenever you go into it, and then delete it when you are satisfied that you don't need anything from that folder anymore.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:22 am UTC

It's not that easy. I can judge fairly easily whether a file needs to be kept or can be deleted, but I need to cull the list first. Which I am now doing; I've cut it down to a little over a million, by simply removing paths I know I mustn't delete from, or paths in which the files are temporary duplicates that will be deleted anyway. Directories like /var/tmp, /usr/src/linux-*, /usr/portage/distfiles, and so on. I've also removed lines pertaining to old kernels and their modules; those should be uninstalled anyway (which I tend to neglect because I usually can't be bothered).

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 am UTC

So this isn't just your ~/ directory, this is everything? Yeah, I can see how that can be a pain.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

computerrage.jpg
Good morning.
computerrage.jpg (7.81 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

FUCK YOU DMV. I hate you somuch road test. I had everything perfect, but I got the examiner who is known to be a bitch and make everyones life more difficult. The only problem I had with parellel parking and thats cause you didnt give me any cuts. you expected me to park perfectly by just backing in. I did a better job than the person before and after me but they both got their licenses because their examiners were chill. Also examiner was on her cell phone while I was driving and was not paying attention to the good things I was doing. DMV supervisor was really nice about the whole thing though and that was good. I might be able to just retest later today but that means I need to go all the way back there. But he was helpful, the examiner was sent from hell though.

Okay all my rage at the DMV examiner is pretty much out
these are words
type, type, type

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:. Also examiner was on her cell phone while I was driving and was not paying attention to the good things I was doing.

Um...is that allowed? That seems like a seriously wrong thing for an examiner to be doing. Seriously.

Also, I wasn't aware parallel parking was still required as part of the test in some places. I didn't have to do it here, thank science.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:
scienceroboticspunk wrote:. Also examiner was on her cell phone while I was driving and was not paying attention to the good things I was doing.

Um...is that allowed? That seems like a seriously wrong thing for an examiner to be doing. Seriously.

Also, I wasn't aware parallel parking was still required as part of the test in some places. I didn't have to do it here, thank science.

It wasnt allowed as far as I can tell. The head of the DMV I took my test at just called and is allowing me to retake it later today. The DMV is being really helpful and that is making me happy. Yeah, its a requirement in NJ, USA
these are words
type, type, type

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Parallel parking is pretty important if you ever plan to drive in cities imo. I drove up to Philadelphia the other month to visit a college friend and I felt so embarrassed because it took me extra effort to parallel park on the street. I hadn't parallel parked since the test so I was quite rusty, luckily there was no one waiting for me to get out of the way.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Parallel parking is pretty important if you ever plan to drive in cities imo. I drove up to Philadelphia the other month to visit a college friend and I felt so embarrassed because it took me extra effort to parallel park on the street. I hadn't parallel parked since the test so I was quite rusty, luckily there was no one waiting for me to get out of the way.

My sister is a brilliant driver and has only really driven in Birmingham and London, the two biggest cities in England. The one issue she has, however, is parallel parking. She hates it and it will take her about five minuites to get it right. Then it'll take another five minutes for her to get it right to her standards, because she is a perfectionist. ON the other hand, when thoser ten minutes are over she's parked bloody well (NB: I may have exaggerated the times taken, but you get the idea)

Anyhow:

Rant 1: Aaargh! Shitty Guild of Students computers and their shitty mini-keyboards! I'm sick and tired of having to go back and correct every fucking line because I've hit two keys at once, or because the backspace and space bar at too fucking small. Grr!

Rant 2: Apparently the high I was on yesterday has now gone and I'm feeling like shit again. Wonderful. And I can't even go to my two friends who know about everything and who seem to be the only people who can cheer me up because they are on a society committee and have to host an event tonight. An event that I can't go to because my ex-girlfriend is also on the committee and I know that seeing her will just upset her and make me feel so bad even my two friends won't be able to help. Bollocks.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Parallel parking is pretty important if you ever plan to drive in cities imo. I drove up to Philadelphia the other month to visit a college friend and I felt so embarrassed because it took me extra effort to parallel park on the street. I hadn't parallel parked since the test so I was quite rusty, luckily there was no one waiting for me to get out of the way.

It is important, and not feeling comfortable doing it is part of the reason I hate driving to campus, but I would hate to be completely not allowed to drive at all just because I couldn't do that.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Stupid laptop! I just spent over £80 (well, I borrowed the money and have yet to pay it back) getting your screen fixed since it was kind of falling apart and since, despite the fact that I know you're not a great laptop, I am kind of fond of you and how do you pay me back? By falling apart even more and turning the screen off randomly and making it so I can't turn it back on without restarting the whole computer. This does not seem very fair at all. I don't think it's worth sinking any more money into you. I'm getting a new laptop with my Christmas/overtime money.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:Stupid laptop! I just spent over £80 (well, I borrowed the money and have yet to pay it back) getting your screen fixed since it was kind of falling apart and since, despite the fact that I know you're not a great laptop, I am kind of fond of you and how do you pay me back? By falling apart even more and turning the screen off randomly and making it so I can't turn it back on without restarting the whole computer. This does not seem very fair at all. I don't think it's worth sinking any more money into you. I'm getting a new laptop with my Christmas/overtime money.

You could always buy a USB screen, keyboard and mouse and run it like a desktop?

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

I considered just using my tv screen as a monitor but it makes it kind of inconvenient for using at uni, which is the whole reason I got the laptop in the first place.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Return to “General”