Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Torvaun

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Torvaun » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

Bet it isn't, I get people doing that when they call me at home.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

I always hang up when that happens. If it is important, they'll call me back.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
emceng wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:I need to take a typing test at 5000 keys per minute. Really? Last time I tried this I tried four times and barely made it to 4900, and my hand hurt after that. Not to mention I'm already a fast typer, there's no way your employees actually type that fast at work.

Wait, what? Is that a typo, or do they really expect you to hit 83 keys each second? I don't know if the computer would even respond that quickly.

Apparently the fastest typist in the world is somewhere around 215 words per minute. Unless those happen to all be 25 letter words I'm going to imagine there's some sort of typo in the above. 500 characters per minute would make more sense but is still absurdly fast.

Yikes, I did typo. 5000 keys per hour.

I blame a lack of sleep.

It's a data entry test I have to take to be considered for a job. The thing that makes it difficult is switching to the different fields; you have to enter them in "order" (the order they want) which does not correspond to what field you switch to with the tab key. tl;dr I have to use the mouse to switch fields, which eats into the time.

Looking back over my last times I actually hit 4997, which is good but under their "threshhold."
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

Ordered fields that don't correspond to the tab order? That's just malicious.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

mandachan

Postby mandachan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

What idiot decided that onions and celery need to be in chicken salad and potato salad and other like salads? It's mixing crunchy and mushy. That's sacrilege. And onions/celery suck to begin with >:P
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

What a lot of fun,
Ya guys have been real swell,
And there's not a one who can say this ended well,
All those secret's you've been consealin',
Say you're happy now,
Once More With Feelin',
Now I gotta run,
See you all in hell....

The EGE wrote:

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

Wait, what? I'm all for random Buffy moments, but how's that a rant?
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:25 am UTC

That was what I wanted to say to my office today, or sing rather. Dancing past each person on my way out, and informing them of my feelings.

The EGE wrote:

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:52 am UTC

Why the fuck are Glen Cook's Garrett novels so rare? They're like the Dresden files, but far less sucky. Someone is selling a paperback on ebay for 21 freaking dollars!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Heretic!

Blasphemer!

Deceiver!
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:17 am UTC

I want to clear something up here. I have seen people associating the tea party movement with libertarianism

Tea Party != Libertarian

Libertarians: Smaller Government, Smaller Military, Pro-Choice, Anti-War on Drugs (no victim = no crime)

Republicans: Big Government, Big-Military, Pro-Life, Pro-War on Drugs

Tea Party: Republicans that want smaller government, but vote for republicans anyway. A large number of them are just their because they hate Obama

Of course, there are variances in the viewpoints of people within the parties, but those reflect dominant viewpoints and official party stances.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking tea partiers are libertarians. It's insulting to us libertarians.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 am UTC

I blame the Tea Party... They read the first two words of your libertarian definition, and say "oh, I must be a libertarian then." At least that's the impression I get. But mainly, I just think they have some major gaps in their understanding. Of everything.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:50 am UTC

I thought about starting a new thread for this but it's probably not worth it (and I can't be bothered). Anyway, it's a rant.

Given that we are all supposed to be worried about climate change, preserving the Earth's dwindling resources or at least saving money, why do we keep inventing stupid ways to waste energy? I get quite peeved (I'm British). In my more passioinate moments i could even get miffed. My favorite examples:
- the patio heater. What did our forbears do when it got cold outside? How did they survive before the patio heater? Perhaps they put on a jumper, or went in.
- the leaf blower. What's wrong with a rake? For that matter, what's wrong with leaves? I may be wrong but I suspect they may even be biodegradeable.
- Lately a lot of money has been spent on the London underground system. Not to make the tube run reliably, but to put plasma screens along the escalators and corridors. Obviously they could be used for information, but they are actually for advertising. Do you know, I miss cardboard posters.
- the all-over household body dryer. This one left me speechless! I've seen them in swimming baths etc. where the alternative would be laundering 100s of towels, but why would you want one in your house? I have a perfectly serviceable towel! Ref HHGTTG for other valuable towel-based activities.

Any others?

(subsidiary rant: when you swap browser windows on an iPad mid-post, the bloody machine resets the window, loosing the text and giving you the opportunity to type it all out again. Thanks Apple!)
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 am UTC

Jumble wrote:(subsidiary rant: when you swap browser windows on an iPad mid-post, the bloody machine resets the window, loosing the text and giving you the opportunity to type it all out again. Thanks Apple!)

That's because it's actually closing down the first browser, then re-opening it afterwards. iPhones and iPads don't allow you to have more than one application open at a time. Because that would be normal and convenient, and Apple can't allow that.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:I thought about starting a new thread for this but it's probably not worth it (and I can't be bothered). Anyway, it's a rant.

Given that we are all supposed to be worried about climate change, preserving the Earth's dwindling resources or at least saving money, why do we keep inventing stupid ways to waste energy? I get quite peeved (I'm British). In my more passioinate moments i could even get miffed. My favorite examples:
- the patio heater. What did our forbears do when it got cold outside? How did they survive before the patio heater? Perhaps they put on a jumper, or went in.
- the leaf blower. What's wrong with a rake? For that matter, what's wrong with leaves? I may be wrong but I suspect they may even be biodegradeable.
- Lately a lot of money has been spent on the London underground system. Not to make the tube run reliably, but to put plasma screens along the escalators and corridors. Obviously they could be used for information, but they are actually for advertising. Do you know, I miss cardboard posters.
- the all-over household body dryer. This one left me speechless! I've seen them in swimming baths etc. where the alternative would be laundering 100s of towels, but why would you want one in your house? I have a perfectly serviceable towel! Ref HHGTTG for other valuable towel-based activities.

Any others?

(subsidiary rant: when you swap browser windows on an iPad mid-post, the bloody machine resets the window, loosing the text and giving you the opportunity to type it all out again. Thanks Apple!)

The only problem with leaves is that after rain they can make for a slippery surface on the pavements, but apart from that... especially since leaf blowers don't do much more than just pushing them off to the neighbour's part of the pavement, like having an outrageously noisy machine that you run for half a day (seriously, they do that where I live. Raking takes an hour or so, but with those convenient machines they have so much fun that they are at it at least half a day) just to let your neighbours know: «It's YOUR problem now!»

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Given that we are all supposed to be worried about climate change, preserving the Earth's dwindling resources or at least saving money, why do we keep inventing stupid ways to waste energy? I get quite peeved (I'm British). In my more passioinate moments i could even get miffed. My favorite examples:

The all really piss me off, especially the LU one. Seriously, Why the fuck are they still driving prices up if they can afford to install plasma screens in every zone 1 and 2 station? The fuck?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

Why, when I send people an email consisting of my number and a list of times when I'll be able to answer the phone, do they only read the first part of the sentence and always manage to phone me during a lecture/at work/actually trying to do my assignments for my next tutorial? It's getting really frustrating.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:The all really piss me off, especially the LU one. Seriously, Why the fuck are they still driving prices up if they can afford to install plasma screens in every zone 1 and 2 station? The fuck?
They probably worked out a deal with the advertisers such that they get a relatively cheap deal for a long period in exchange for providing some (perhaps all) of the funding for the TVs. (And it's possible that the screens are wired so they can be switched to more important programming in case of emergency.)

And a rant: Seriously, Wal-Mart? I've been checking periodically, and you never have shorts in anything smaller than a 40" waist. Rectify the problem, or I will start shopping in my underwear.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

40" ???
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Seriously? I'm 6'3" and I have a 36" waist. I'm a fatass, that's ridiculous.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

I see your problem. You're shopping for clothes at Wal-mart.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

Perhaps it is a reflection of their target customers...
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:They probably worked out a deal with the advertisers such that they get a relatively cheap deal for a long period in exchange for providing some (perhaps all) of the funding for the TVs. (And it's possible that the screens are wired so they can be switched to more important programming in case of emergency.)

Hmm... hadn't thought of that. Still though, TfL is getting ridiculously expensive.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

Also, in my SU they worked out that a few plasma screens were cheaper than printing out new posters every week over the lifetime of the screen. Also easier to change. Possibly more environmentally friendly, too, iunno.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

Today I smell like burned bacon because I burned the bacon this morning. ;_;
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

I like the smell of burnt bacon. Mind if I have a bite?

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

Sure, just let me retrieve the burned pieces from the depths of failure first.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Today I smell like burned bacon because I burned the bacon this morning. ;_;

I'll burn your bacon :wink: :wink: nudge nudge Say no more
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

What the hell? First you tell me to write an essay about propaganda during the Irish civil war. That's cool. Next, you're telling me that I should make it more interesting to read. Okay, I can live with that, so I made an exciting introduction. Then, in your comments on the edited essay you state that I should eleborate more on things said in the introduction. God damn it, you can't have the situation of the introduction explained in detail without making it very long, dull andboring, don't you see that?! Then down at my conclusions and summary, you state that I repeated things from earlier pharagraphs. Say again?!

tl;dr: What the fuck?
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Air Force instructional methodology.

Introduction: I'm going to tell you what I'm going to tell you.

Body: I'm telling you what I'm telling you.

Summation: I'm telling you what I told you.

This is considered strong, functional informational writing in every college I've attended, your teacher is a toon.

The EGE wrote:

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Yes that was pretty much the form we have to use. I myself agree that the form is effective, but a bit boring. So I thought making an exciting introduction was okay. Then she told me to rape the fundaments of every essay.

I mean, I'm okay if I have to write an exciting and educative story about the subject, but this is just impossible. Besides, I bet that she will complain about the essay structure if I change it. So just FFFFFFF, die in a fire of aids.

Edit: She also asked me to "explain a bit about" the content of the third paragraph in the second one. What the hell, that doesn't work that way. The third one explains the things in the second one, there is no need to tear my third paragraph apart and make it anally explore my second one.
Last edited by Microscopic cog on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Also, in my SU they worked out that a few plasma screens were cheaper than printing out new posters every week over the lifetime of the screen. Also easier to change. Possibly more environmentally friendly, too, iunno.

Ah, but the Guardian would beg to differ. I'd also challenge the idea of backlit poster boards on the escalators. I certainly don't remember anything like that illuminating the gloom of the Northeren Line!
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Air Force instructional methodology.

Introduction: I'm going to tell you what I'm going to tell you.

Body: I'm telling you what I'm telling you.

Summation: I'm telling you what I told you.

This is considered strong, functional informational writing in every college I've attended, your teacher is a toon.

My last boss:

I'm telling you what to do, but leaving out 90% of the details. Have something for me in 2 days.

You followed what I told you, but here are some of the details. Make it fit and have something for me in 2 days.

Well, you followed that, but I changed my mind on some of the first things.

Well, you know what, hold off on that, I'm not sure at all what I want.

Boss: So, what have you been working on?

Me: Whatever I can find to do, but nothing for this project.

Boss: Why aren't you working on the project? That's your number 1 priority.

Me: I'm waiting for you to make up your mind on what you want.

Boss: Well, I don't have the specs yet.

The best part was, he finally gave us what he called specs, but was just an image of what he wanted the UI to look like. I was the one that ended up getting fired.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Okay you win.

Edit: She also told me to explain why the British started using "fake" propaganda. What?
Spoiler:

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

The lies we were telling were actually truths?

Similar to Oregonaut, really:

Intro:
Here is the question you asked.
Here is the question I want to answer.
Here is me explaining how me answering my question is basically the same as me answering your question.
Here is the answer to the question I want to answer, and how I will prove this.

Body:
Here is me proving it.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, I am right.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Sounds like a political interview on Today, but without step 3!
Spoiler:

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

All of my essays would be improved with the addition of John Humphries, though.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Seriously? I'm 6'3" and I have a 36" waist. I'm a fatass, that's ridiculous.
I'm 6'2" with a 38" waist. Now I am sad. (Also fat, but you know...)

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Yeah, but come on Azreal, neither you or I could wear 40" drawers comfortably without a belt. And putting a belt on shorts is not good fashion.

The EGE wrote:

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

I wear 40" pants without a belt. I also don't wear shorts.

Return to “General”